Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View RSS Feed

Building a Corrado "RS"

The Corrado RS is a Volkswagen Corrado VR6 fettled with to the Nth degree. If something could be improved on, it was. If it was unnecessary to the overall goal of creating a focused, undistracted driving experience, it was tossed. Nothing was taken for granted - long-term drive-ability, durability, and reliability were ensured.

Taken on its own merits, the Corrado RS will stack up against some of the best factory and after-market cars, modified with a similar thought process in mind. It borrows heavily from the spirit of such great cars as any Porsche RS variant, the Renault Megane R26.R, the Mk1 Audi TT Quattro Sport, and the BMW M3 CSL. It asks and answers the question: If VW themselves built a limited-production Sports Coupe, of the highest order, how would it look and what would it be?

Welcome to the Corrado RS. It's only short-coming might be its driver.

Follow Corrado RS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CorradoRS

1. Corrado RS - An Honest Review that Got a Little Out Of Hand

by , 07-22-2014 at 11:22 AM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      The original idea for this article was to draw a clichéd comparison between the look-at-me-now nature of The Hamptons in the summer, having officially kicked off this Memorial Day week, and me deciding to take the Corrado on a shakedown drive TO The Hamptons. The Corrado only looks good from about fifty feet away. I’m sure there’s a Hamptons correlation there.

When I finally arrived at a coffee shop, I was tense. My shoulders hurt, I needed to stretch my back, and my left knee was ...
      Tags: 17, rs, vr6, vw Add / Edit Tags
      Categories
      Uncategorized
    2. Corrado RS - How Paul Walker Influenced My Automotive Enthusiasm

by , 12-23-2013 at 11:33 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      "The death of Paul Walker is shocking, saddening, and yet I could not figure out why his death was having such an impact on me. Why was it bothering me? The earliest memory I have of anything tuner related has to be some time before I was nine years old (between 1983 and 1992). This I know because it was in my family’s first apartment, and I distinctly remember sitting on the couch, with the latest issue of Automobile Magazine, reading the “Not For US” (pun intended I’m sure) column about ...
    3. Corrado RS, Chapter 5 - Brakes

by , 04-16-2013 at 06:23 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      Before I chose the 'RS' moniker and the associated tuning direction, the Corrado began equipped with a custom set of 12” Wilwoods front and rear, purchased almost eight years ago. I wanted visual brake balance. I loved the idea of massive Brembo calipers upfront, but hated keeping the dinky 9” rear brakes, lost behind the center hub of any wheel larger than factory. While poking around the internet in Manhattan College's computer lab (I was still in college), I happened upon Precision Brake Company ...
    4. Corrado RS - H2O International 2012 Introspective

by , 04-16-2013 at 06:19 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      "Coastal Highway is eerily quiet, devoid of the cacophony of engines that had been running rampant into all hours of the night, not twelve hours earlier. The pavement looks like a battle field; gouges in the slightest elevation changes, oil stains following every manhole cover before turning into a side street. Evidence of the lost challenge between a lowered car and pavement. H2O International in Ocean City, Maryland was once again coming to a close, and as I drove north out of the beach town ...

Updated 04-16-2013 at 06:21 PM by Krazee

Categories
      Audi News Blog , Aftermarket & Tuner
    5. Corrado RS, Chapter 4 - The Interior

by , 03-31-2012 at 12:23 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      I am no doubt a product of my generation, the generation exposed to such ridiculous technological progress, we easily forget what we saw yesterday. I am 29, and when I was 14, the Intel Pentium Processor was blazing fast. We had just discovered 56k modem connections, and AOL turned the annoying dial-tone into something we looked forward to, so long as it was accompanied by the BONG! of a successful connection. The first “modern” desktop PC my family had featured a crankin' 486DX processor pushing ...
    6. Corrado RS, Side Bar: An Ode To Quality

by , 03-31-2012 at 12:21 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      The hardest part of any project car is parts selection – quality parts are hard to come by. When I first started out with my Corrado, back in 2002, I relied heavily on the existing knowledge of Volkswagen veterans, scouring online forums and reading old magazines separating quality from crap. I began to process Physics 101, (despite not passing in three through College) reading The Way Things Work for the first time since I was five, and amassing some 10,000 posts on one of the largest automotive ...
    7. Corrado RS, Chapter 3 - Suspension Part 2

by , 03-31-2012 at 12:19 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      The everyday driving aspects for the RS will not change much, though I might not cover as many miles. The major change will be more competitive driving – SCCA autocross, High Performance Driving Events, random track days, and, with some hope, Time Attack. If Sport Compact Car was still in print, I'd throw Corrado RS into the ring for The Ultimate Street Car Challenge. The goal is to drive to the events, swap brake pads, compete, and drive home. There will also be the odd Volkswagen show or automotive ...
    8. Corrado RS, Chapter 3 - Suspension, Part 1

by , 03-31-2012 at 12:17 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      Chassis and suspension tuning are subjectively objective. Every production vehicle is tuned with a goal in mind, be it highway cruising, back-road bombing, or city russian roulette. Some manufacturers try to blur the lines in one direction or another, but the generalization is hard to skirt: Aim for sublime handling on the back roads and the car might bounce around a bit too much on the highway or knock your teeth out in the city. High-end cars have managed to deal with this accepted norm very well ...
    9. Corrado RS, Chapter 2 - The Heart

by , 03-31-2012 at 12:15 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      As with any great car, the engine is of the utmost importance. Sure, the suspension can be godlike and the car can handle phenomenally, but at the end of the day a capable chassis needs an equally capable engine. In its heyday, the 12v VR6 engine received multiple awards from the automotive press based on its compact packaging – with its staggered piston placement, the engine allowed for V6 performance within the footprint of a common 4 cylinder. From a VW enthusiast's perspective, before the advent ...
    10. Corrado RS, Chapter 1: The Vision Takes Shape

by , 01-19-2012 at 04:08 PM (Building a Corrado "RS")
      Driving like a banshee is great. It's fun, it's exhilarating, it's therapeutic, it gets your senses working overtime. Channel your anger through the steering wheel of your “RS” car, and the combination of burnt fuel, crackling exhaust, and melting rubber combine to calm you better than any scented candle on the market. But it's all for naught if you begin to sweat profusely at the first sign of traffic because you binned A/C in search of a modicum of extra power. It's all for naught if you lose ...
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast