Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View RSS Feed

Audi News Blog

More Audi R5 News from Georg Kacher Piece about Porsche 551

Rate this Entry

Earlier this week we'd posted a story linking a Volkswagen Group chassis architecture guide published last week by Georg Kacher over at Automobile. Kacher's submitted another piece this week about the Porsche 551 - the so-called "Baby Boxster" that was slated to be a corporate cousin of the proposed Audi R5.

Kacher's got new details on 551, including confirmation of scaled down MSB-M (MSB Mid) architecture and a timeframe pushed out from 2014 to 2017 based on Porsche's own full plate of projects that would sell more cars and earn more money for Stuttgart.

The article confirms what we already knew, that Volkswagen and Audi have both cooled on the idea of building their own versions of such a car, although Kacher seems to think that Audi's problem is more that the car would be developed by Porsche.

The article didn't officially say R5 was done for, but it did say Porsche was willing to go it alone on 551, even without VW or Audi. Apparently by basing the car on MSB Porsche can still achieve enough economies of scale with components shared from other MSB-based products (Porsches, Lamborghinis, etc.) that the model will likely still work.

So what do you think? Is Audi better off with no R5 than with a Porsche-developed R5?

Full Story - Automobile Magazine

Comments

The moment the 551 comes I think the R5 would be a go with Audi building the car. It wouldn't make sense for Porsche to build the R5 as that is akin to Audi building the Macan as its running on the Q5 platform and engines.
      Quote Originally Posted by Microice
      The moment the 551 comes I think the R5 would be a go with Audi building the car. It wouldn't make sense for Porsche to build the R5 as that is akin to Audi building the Macan as its running on the Q5 platform and engines.
      Porsche will build Macan in Porsche factory according to their press release. Given the timeframe, audi could build R5 and an MSB-based R8 on same line. Porsche would simply develop.
      I already think the R8 don't belong in the Audi line-up at all, let alone there will be another useless mid engined car in the line-up.
      I don't see the point in building this kinds of cars while the rest of the Audi range are mostly boring cars.
      The New A3 is a shiny example of a modern boring Audi car.
      Quote Originally Posted by R5T
      I already think the R8 don't belong in the Audi line-up at all, let alone there will be another useless mid engined car in the line-up.
      I don't see the point in building this kinds of cars while the rest of the Audi range are mostly boring cars.
      They can't all be RS cars. I don't find the A3 boring, but I'm also more of an S, RS or R customer myself. I think though if you asked Audi marketing, even if they never made a dime on the R8 it's been a home run for Audi and the building of the brand. I suspect you'd find a lot of people who disagree with your statement, myself included.
      You have a point when you say there is no point in the R8 if everything else is not as good. Though Audi's aren't ugly they could do with some out of the box thoughts. I don't mind the A3 being ok if they give us a limited run of cars like the A1 clubsport, Quattro concept and R5 to spice things up. Maybe the higher ups (Porsche?) are not so keen on Audi being so sporty.
      You have a point when you say there is no point in the R8 if everything else is not as good. Though Audi's aren't ugly they could do with some out of the box thoughts. I don't mind the A3 being ok if they give us a limited run of cars like the A1 clubsport, Quattro concept and R5 to spice things up. Maybe the higher ups (Porsche?) are not so keen on Audi being so sporty.
      All the cars you mention here are very specialty cars... very low volume. Even Porsche would not do so well if it did not have the Cayenne. Not everyone buys hard-edged sportscars. In the US the #1 and #2 segments are pickup trucks and family sedans.
      There are no words to express how intensely I disagree with you on every point of your comment. So I won't even try. But I am curious. What are you comparing the "rest of the audi range" to? Ferrari? Porche? Some other exotic? I think if you were to compare apples to apples you might come to a different conclusion.
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude
      All the cars you mention here are very specialty cars... very low volume. Even Porsche would not do so well if it did not have the Cayenne. Not everyone buys hard-edged sportscars. In the US the #1 and #2 segments are pickup trucks and family sedans.
      I didn't mean to say Audi should focus on the speciality cars and not the bread and butter. My favourite Audi of all time is the B7 A4 2.0 Quattro. But the reason the R8 is so loved is because its an out of the box car from a bread and butter manufacturer and I wouldn't mind another car along those lines.
      I didn't mean to say Audi should focus on the speciality cars and not the bread and butter. My favourite Audi of all time is the B7 A4 2.0 Quattro. But the reason the R8 is so loved is because its an out of the box car from a bread and butter manufacturer and I wouldn't mind another car along those lines.
      And that car is called TT.
      I'll buy one, whichever badge end up on it.
      Quote Originally Posted by John Y
      I'll buy one, whichever badge end up on it.
      New reports say Audi trademarked the 'R6' name so there it can go either way with the name.
      New reports say Audi trademarked the 'R6' name so there it can go either way with the name.
      Yeah, I meant the Porsche or the Audi badge - I'd take the VW version too, if that were the only one to be produced.
      Audi also have filed trademark for "R6"
      This could means the next R8 move up to Aventador level and creating space between TT and next R8 for a R5//R6.
      Mening the R5 will be a 2.5TFSI 5 cylinder and the R6 could get the all new V6 Bi-Turbo 3.0TFSI engine.
      Audi also have filed trademark for "R6"
      This could means the next R8 move up to Aventador level and creating space between TT and next R8 for a R5//R6.
      Mening the R5 will be a 2.5TFSI 5 cylinder and the R6 could get the all new V6 Bi-Turbo 3.0TFSI engine.
      Interesting but I don't see R8 moving up market. I suspect this is more simply them filling in the gaps and buying up the nameplates. Call it the Q7 lesson.
      Sounds great!

----------------------------------------------
      [url=http://www.rchelicopterus.com/]Rc Helicopter[/url]|[url=http://www.hobbycool.com/]rc hobby stores[/url]|[url=http://rc-helicopters-reviews.com/]rc helicopters reviews[/url]
      Fashionable circle each quarter often will have a fashion that make the finishing point sheet is tasted, such as bag, such as jewelry, such as the sun glasses, but summer fashion the individual character of dazzle representatives on the cool sunglasses mo belonged to. The main function of the shading is sunglasses, as fashion collocation, it in style designing more breakthrough also got more friends recognition and support.
      The sunglasses brand market diversification, including [URL="http://www.replicarayban-sunglasses3025.com/"]Replica Ray Ban sunglasses[/URL], fan saizhe, PRADA and other high-end fashion brand, and tyrannosaurus rex, dolphins, and sent the beautiful be, the holy contour quality brand. Often have friends in asking, so many sunglasses brand, which a more outstanding?
      The problem we often need to consider ways, high-end brand laybourne, PRADA, CK, fan saizhe is undoubtedly the leader of the quality, like [URL="http://www.replicarayban-sunglasses3025.com/"]Ray Ban sunglasses 3025[/URL] low-key and do not break luxuriant fashion is a foreign friend love most, is also entertainers favorite, but for ordinary consumers, its price indeed partial expensive.
      T-rex, and sent the beautiful be, Renault and products such as sunglasses on price is most consumers accept more, its product price is also has many advantages. Domestic market situation, the brand product inquiry degrees and buying rate are comparatively leading. Because now many friends to buy sunglasses, the quality and the price are the most important decision of two big factors, the second is the design of fashion design. So in the sun glasses brands in, the holy, and sent the [URL="http://www.replicarayban-sunglasses3025.com/"]Ray Ban sunglasses sale[/URL], li Mongolian, tyrannosaurus rex, etc, will be located in the list front row.
      ====== [url]http://www.**************[/url] ======
      Hello!! Fashion,low price,the good shopping places,
      free shipping and quantity discount,
      Air/jordan/shoes(1-24) $40,
      Air/max/shoes $41,
      Nike/shox/shoes $40,
      Air/Force/one $40,
      Nike/Dunk/Shoes $42,
      Jeans $39,
      T-Shirt $20,
      belt $18, sunglasses $16,
      (NFL MLB NBA NHL) jerseys $25,
      Accept credit card and cash payments
      ====== [url]http://www.**************[/url] ======
      audi is an excellent car, you can say a new revolution. please more information [URL="http://www.integracar.com.au/ccp0-prodshow/Toyota-Hi-Lux-Petrol-Diesel-1997-2005-Ha20.html"][B]5L-E[/B][/URL]
      Updated 12-25-2012 at 01:26 AM by fordcars
      Quote Originally Posted by George@Fourtitude
      Porsche will build Macan in Porsche factory according to their press release. Given the timeframe, audi could build R5 and an MSB-based R8 on same line. Porsche would simply develop.
      Compared with audi, i love the porsche better. a woman's sign.
      and the most important, we have products for porsche now - porsche piwis tester ii
      hope you can need someday