Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

View RSS Feed

Audi News Blog

Latest ROC Driver Heinz-Harald Frentzen Adds to Ever-Growing Field of Audi Factory and Ex-Factory Drivers

Rate this Entry

The roster for the upcoming 2011 Race of Champions has grown today with the addition of 41-year old Heinz-Harald Frentzen. Frentzen might be best known for a ten-year run in Formula 1 but might be better known one websites such as this one for his brief stint on Audi's DTM squad. Just one year, Heinz-Harald campaigned his Veltins-sponsored Audi A4 DTM for most of the 2006 season before a fallout with Audi Sport boss Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich brought on his departure from the team.

Frentzen joins Audi's latest ex-factory driver Martin Tomczyk and current Audi drivers Tom Kristensen, Mattias Ekstrom, Timo Scheider and Filipe Albuquerque at the 2011 Race of Champions that begins tomorrow and runs through the weekend.

Frentzen Takes on the Legends

[source: Race of Champions]

Former Formula 1 championship runner-up Heinz-Harald Frentzen is prepared to take on fierce competition in Sunday's ROC Legends Cup. The three-time grand prix winner with Jordan and Williams took the German press for a guided tour round the Düsseldorf ESPRIT arena on Thursday. He'll be competing against three fellow legends on Sunday, entertaining the audience before the ROC Nations Cup.

“I am ready for action,” says the 41-year-old Düsseldorf local. ”After a long break I did some GT3 racing this year.” Frentzen competed in the German ADAC GT Masters alongside former ski jump champion Sven Hannawald in a Callaway Corvette GT3. He originally raced in Formula 1 for ten years, before moving to DTM and sports cars.

“It's going to be a big challenge,” acknowledges Frentzen. “It's a twisty track and there's little run-off area, so you have to be precise and make no mistakes during the entire run. The smallest error will make the difference. The biggest challenge in the Race Of Champions is jumping from one car into the other. There are a lot of different cars with different behaviour, but it's the same for everybody.”

On Sunday, Frentzen will be fighting it out on track against three other legends of the sport: Hans-Joachim Stuck, Marc Duez and Stig Blomqvist. “Obviously I'm racing against a generation that is a bit older than me, but those guys know what they are doing. They are all good opponents and it will be an interesting competition. I have to watch out for ROC race director Marc Duez, who has test driven all the cars already. He knows all the tricks…”

Frentzen has a clear favourite to become the next Champion of Champions in Sunday's main event: “Sebastian Vettel is in very good shape. He took some more experience from last year so he'll be very hard to beat. But I think many people have a chance to win on this track, so I can't wait to see all the drivers in action.”

Comments