Here you can find answers to questions about how the board works. Use the links or search box below to find your way around.
Advertising Rules and Regulations
• Advertising Levels:
Forum Sponsor – This is a company who has sponsored a specific forum. They have the ability to have up to three threads “stickied” at the top of the forum of which they sponsor. A banner in place of the usual forum header at the top of the forum denotes the company’s presence as that Forum’s Sponsor. Forum Sponsors are acknowledged by a “Forum Sponsor” user title and avatar.
Banner Advertiser – This is a company whose banner is in the main ad banner rotation in the top section of the forums page, and also rotates throughout the website on the “editorial side” of the site at the bottom of articles, features and resources. This type of advertiser is eligible to support Group Buys and also has the ability to post in the main forums. Banner Advertisers are acknowledged by a “Banner Advertiser” user title and avatar.
Classified Advertiser – This type of advertiser is eligible to support group buys and post commercially in the classified forums only. Classified Advertisers do not have the permission to post in the main forums or anywhere outside of the classifieds. Classified Advertisers are acknowledged by a “Classified Advertiser” user title and avatar.
• Commercial Posting Regulations:
– Forum Sponsors are allowed a total of 35 commercial threads active within the last 30 days, which includes no more than 3 threads in any one forum, and no more than 3 stickies at a time in the forum they sponsor.
– Banner Advertisers are allowed a total of 35 commercial threads active within the last 30 days, which includes no more than 3 threads in any one forum.
– Classified Advertisers are allowed a total of 10 commercial threads active within the last 30 days, which includes no more than 3 threads in any one forum.
– If an advertiser exceeds their allotted number of commercial posts, please contact a member of the staff or administration to have excess posts removed and/or archived.
– Bumping of threads is allowed at the rate of one bump per day, and only if that thread has fallen off of the front page of the forum it is posted in. Any additional bumps may result in the thread being removed at the discretion of the moderators and/or staff.
– Certain high demand forums, such as the 2.0T technical forums and Golf VI & Jetta VI model forum, have a special “Vendor Marketplace” sub-forum attached to the main forum. This is a place where vendors can post excess threads above their allowed 3 threads per forum. However, the additional threads cannot result in a vendor exceeding their maximum thread allowance.
For Non Advertisers:
– No spamming or commercial solicitation of any kind allowed on our sites other than authorized individuals representing a given level of advertiser. Any such messages violating these terms will be removed at the discretion of the moderators and/or staff.
– Selling of individual items or vehicle is permissible by a private owner in our Classifieds forums, however selling multiple items of the same product is considered a commercial post and will be removed at the discretion of the moderators and/or staff.
– The classifieds were created for members to sell parts from their personal vehicles or their personal cars. The classifieds are not to be used to part out cars that have been picked up from the junk yard and then the parts sold off for profit using the forums. Doing so constitutes a commercial post and will be removed at the discretion of the moderators and/or staff.
– Using the PM system to solicit business and circumvent the advertising rules and regulations is not allowed. Violating this rule may result in your ability to send IMs to be disabled, or your account being banned.
– Personal classifieds belong in the classified forum and not the main forum. If classifieds are posted in the main forums, they will be removed by the moderators and/or staff.
– Commercial posts from distributors who carry a registered advertiser’s product are not allowed. Distributors still need to sign up as a registered advertiser if they wish to commercially post on the forums.
• Advertising Rules and Regulations FAQ
Q: I’m interested in signing up for either a Forum Sponsor, Banner Advertiser or Classified Advertiser status; how do I do so?
A: To sign up for or request more information about any of the advertising levels, please e-mail advertising at vortexmediagroup dot com.
Q: I want to organize a Group Buy, can I do so?
A: No, you will need to contact the advertiser who has the product you’d like to see in a group buy, and ask them to post the Group Buy.
Q: What if the product I want to do a Group Buy for is not sold by an eligible company?
A: Our advertisers are broad enough and numerous enough that they cover virtually all parts. If not, many are willing to help out by distributing and processing the parts in question. If the part you want is unique to a company that does not advertise with us, you may want to suggest to that company that they consider doing so.
Q: Why were these rules implemented?
A: These rules were implemented for your protection as buyers and also to help support those companies that choose to support our community. By having companies register with us, the chance of our users getting scammed is much less as those companies or entities doing this business then have something to lose. The implementation of proper user titles makes moderating the forums much easier. Forum Sponsors and Banner Advertisers may post sales in all forums.
Q: What if, even with the new rules, I get scammed in a Group Buy?
A: If a situation arises where there is a problem regarding payment without delivery on product, any user should contact an administrator immediately if they wish action to be taken. Our staff will investigate, and if the situation warrants, that entity will be removed from having Group Buy privileges. While this does not assure money will be returned or the part will be shipped, a key benefit is that it will assure that fellow users are not scammed thanks to communication amongst our users. However, in the end, VWvortex is not liable for any problems that result out of participating in a Group Buy on this site. Let the buyer beware.
Rules for posting in the Classifieds Forums
In an effort to clean up the classifieds, we are requiring that all classifieds posts be in the following formats:
1) If you are selling a part:
(Example FS: Item Name)
2) If you are selling an automobile:
(Example FS: Year, Make, Model, Mileage, Location)
3a) If you are parting out a car:
(Example Parting Out: Year, Make, Model) – Please include the parts that you are parting out in one post, and include prices for each part.
3b) If you are parting out specific parts from a car:
(Example interior parts, Parting Out: Year, Make, Model, Interior) – Please include the parts that you are parting out in one post, and include prices for each part.
4) If you want to purchase an item:
(Example WTB: Item Name)
5) If you want to trade an item:
(Example WTT: Item Name for Item Name)
6) If you want to trade an automobile for another item or automobile:
(Example WTT: Year, Make, Model, Mileage for Item Name/Automobile)
Please note – the automobile that you want to trade needs to be posted in the classifieds forum for that automobile, not the one you want to trade for.
Example: “WTT: 2002 VW GTI VR6 75k miles for 1998 VW GTI VR6 plus cash” must to be posted only in the G/J IV Cars classifieds forum, not the G/J III Cars classifieds forum.
7) If you are posting a link to an ebay auction you MUST have a buy it now price in the auction and in the thread title. If you are just looking to gather interest for your auction, then we suggest putting a link to it in your signature.
8) If you are posting wheels for sale or trade, they must go in the proper forum for the bolt pattern of the wheel that you are offering. Even if you have adapters which will allow people with other bolt patters to run the wheels, they must be posted in the forum for the wheel being offered, not for the adapters.
9)You are allowed ONE copy of each ad. You must choose one forum in which to post the ad - no crossposting of ads will be permitted.
Also, all threads must be in the proper forum. A thread that is selling wheels must be in the respective wheels and tires classifieds forum, not in the model specific forum that those wheels came from. The same goes for parts you are selling. If you have Corrado parts, they have to go in the Corrado forum, not in other forums in which they could be an upgraded part. If someone is looking for an upgrade, they will know where to look.
Furthermore, we will not allow all CAPS thread titles, or distracting characters such as ”>”, ”*”, ”!”, ”~”, etc. The thread title MUST be in a format presented above, or the thread will be removed.
You must post a price in your initial post.
Also, the classifieds are not a place to voice an opinion on a product. Questioning the value/price, linking to the same or similar item, or posting in an attempt to devalue the objects being sold is forbidden. If you wish to question the value, IM the seller. Do not reply to a classifieds thread unless you are interested in the item. This will cut down on the traffic in the classifieds, which will result in less people bumping their topics, and making it easier to find what you are looking for. Once your item has sold, or you have found what you are looking for, please make a note of that in your thread.
If you are interested in gathering a market value for your item, please be sure to use the Search feature to see what similar items have been selling for. Check both the recent topics, and the archived topics.
Tickets for events can only be sold at face-value or less.
Items that are not to be sold in the classifieds are: Firearms, Animals, Tobacco, Illegal copies of software, repair manuals, etc
Please be aware that the Advertising Rules and Regulations are still in effect (see below), and you must be an advertiser if you would like to post commercially.
These new classifieds rules will be strictly enforced for all new threads.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
In an effort to improve the signal to noise ratio on our forums, we ask that you please abide buy these guidelines when participating. With over 750,000 registered members from all over the world, we have reached a point where tremendous diversity, age, education, location and more are all factors to consider when participating in our forums. We want to promote a clean, healthy, respectful atmosphere where people are not afraid to ask questions, participate in this community, and have a good time discussing the things we love most – cars.
With that in mind, here are the rules:
THE BIG RULES: Violation of these rules is grounds for the IMMEDIATE banning of your account. If you think we’re kidding, think again.
• No profanity in subject lines or signatures.
• No spamming or commercial solicitation of any kind. Any such messages will be removed at the discretion of either a forum moderator or administrator. Selling of individual items is permissible by a private owner in our Classifieds forums, however selling multiple items of the same product is considered a commercial post and will be removed. Commercial solicitation through the Instant Message function by non-advertisers is strictly forbidden and grounds to have your account terminated. For more information, please review the advertising rules posted at the top of every forum.
• No flaming of other members to incite or perpetuate a conflict or argument. ANY personal attacks or name calling will get you banned.
• No bombing forums or threads with pointless posts.
• No linking or posting of pornographic or objectionable/inappropriate material.
• Do not impersonate other individuals or falsely represent yourself.
• Do not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity on the forums. Linking to locations that deal with any such activity is also forbidden.
• Alias accounts are not allowed. Posting under a secondary username for the purpose of arguing, degrading, or belittling other members is grounds for losing both your primary account and your secondary account.
• You must have a valid e-mail account in your profile so you can be reached by a forum moderator or administrator.
• Signatures can have a maximum of five (5) lines.
• A car forum like VWvortex is not the place to post personal problems, questions about personal relationships, etc. These types of posts will be removed.
• No VWvortex related user names are permitted by non-staff members and will be deleted or changed with or without notice.
• Because of the volatile nature of the following topics: religion, sexual orientation, race, class, gender, and political opinion, users are advised against starting threads or entering posts expressing thoughts, beliefs or opinions on these topics.
•Any posts, threads, signatures, or biographies which are in violation of any of the rules may be removed at the discretion of the moderators or administrators.
The following posting guidelines are here to help you (and others) have an enjoyable experience here:
• Respect both forum moderators and administrators. It is a thankless job that we do, and cleaning up other people’s messes is never fun.
• No SHOUTING. Don’t use all caps when posting. It is difficult to read and annoying.
• Try to post to the forum that is most appropriate for the topic being presented.
• No cross-posting. (This is posting the same topic in more than one forum)
• Refrain from using profanity or cr3ative spell1ng to get around the censor filters. Posts that circumvent the censor may be removed.
• Respect the privacy of other members and individuals. Do not post personal information about them (i.e. addresses, phone numbers, passwords, etc.)
• Observe all copyright laws when posting copyrighted material.
• Objective questioning of the value/price of a product is permitted in a commercial thread, though linking to the same or similar item, or posting in an attempt to devalue the objects being sold is forbidden.
• Do not post messages that violate Federal, State, or Local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or is bound by NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement).
Moderators and administrators frequently review forum posts for those that are in violation of VWvortex rules. Any messages found to be in violation may be deleted without warning or explanation. Furthermore, we reserve the right to remove any post at our discretion, and also the right to ban any user, at any time, for any reason.
There are going to be topics and discussions that will have heated debates. Please think before you post and re-read what you type before you post it. Keep your comments limited to the debate at hand and not make this a personal issue between you and another reader. There is tremendous diversity in age, race, gender, language, location (worldwide) and more here and there will be a lot of varying opinions on different subjects. We’re all human beings and we we’re all drawn to this site because we have a common bond as Volkswagen and car enthusiasts.
Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for VWvortex to review all messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that VWvortex does not actively monitor the contents of posted messages and are not responsible for any messages posted. VWvortex does not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and is not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of VWvortex or any entity associated with VWvortex. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable or is in violation of the rules listed above, is encouraged use the “Report This Post to a Moderator” button. VWvortex has the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if determined that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.
You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Discussion Forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person’s privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by VWvortex.
You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the content posted by you on or through VWvortex or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth below, and (ii) the Posting of your content does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person.
By displaying or posting content on to the Site, you hereby grant us a nonexclusive global license to publish the content submitted by you to the Site. You also grant us global nonexclusive adaptation and resale rights over any content and material submitted to the Site. These nonexclusive publishing license and resale/adaptation rights extend to any materials submitted "for publication" within the Site, including both message board postings and content submitted for uploading and subsequent publishing within non-message board portions of the Site. Neither we nor our staff will be responsible for any misleading, false or otherwise injurious information and advice communicated on the Site or for any results obtained from the use of such information or advice. We will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by a user through the user's reliance on information and advice gained on the Site.
The Site may provide links to other websites or resources. Because we have no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the availability of such external sites and resources, and do not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that we shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource.
Children Online Protection Act Notification
Pursuant to 47 U.S.C. Section 230 (d) as amended, we hereby notify you that parental control protections (such as computer hardware, software, or filtering services) are commercially available that may assist you in limiting access to material that is harmful to minors. Information identifying current providers of such protections is available at the American Links Up web site, http://www.netparents.org.
Pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Section 512 as amended by Title II of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the "Act"), we reserve the right, but not the obligation, to terminate your license to use the Site if we determine in its sole and absolute discretion that you are involved in infringing activity, including allege acts of first-time or repeat infringement, regardless of whether the material or activity is ultimately determined to be infringing. We accommodate and do not interfere with standard technical measures used by copyright owners to protect their materials. In addition, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. Section 512 (c), we have implemented procedures for receiving written notification of claimed infringements and for processing such claims in accordance with the Act. All claims of infringement must be submitted in a written complaint that complies with the requirements below and delivered to our designated agent to receive notification of claimed infringement by mail:
Vortex Media Group
945 Parkview Blvd.
Lombard, IL 60148
In addition, any written notice regarding any defamatory or infringing activity, whether of a copyright, patent, trademark or other proprietary right must include the following information:A. A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of (1) the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed or (2) the person defamed.
You agree to indemnify and hold us, and our subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, agents, vendors or other partners and employees harmless from any claim or demand, including attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of any material or information posted, provided, transmitted or otherwise made available by you on the Site or through the Site's services, or by your violation of these Terms and Conditions, or by your violation of the rights of another.
Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
You understand and agree that the Site is provided "As-Is" and that we assume no responsibility for your ability to (or any costs or fees associated with your ability to) obtain access to the Site. Nor do we assume any liability for the failure to store or maintain any user communications or personal settings.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SITE OR THROUGH OR FROM ITS SERVICES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE SITE OR ITS OWNER BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFIT DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SITE OR ITS SERVICES EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer, exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the foregoing disclaimer, exclusion and limitation may not apply to you, and you may have other legal rights that vary according to jurisdiction. In no event will damages provided by law (if any) apply unless they are required to apply by statute, notwithstanding their exclusion by contract.
If there is any dispute about or involving the Site or its Services, you agree that the dispute shall be governed by the laws of the State of Illinois, USA, without regard to conflict of law provisions and you agree to exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue in the state and federal courts of the United States located in the State of Illinois, City of Chicago. You also agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of the federal district and state courts of Illinois with respect to such matters. We make no representation that materials on the Site are appropriate or available for use in other locations, and accessing them from territories where their content is illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to use or access the Site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
The section titles and other headings in these Terms and Conditions are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. Our failure to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms and Conditions shall not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is unlawful, void or unenforceable, that provision is deemed severable and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
Although this Discussion Forum does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at VWvortex reserve the right to edit or delete any message or account. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless VWvortex, VBulletin (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).
We at this discussion forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.
How do I search for something?
The simplest way to search is to use the global search bar at the top of every page. This will allow you to search all available content types. If you want to use a more advanced search, you can use the Advanced Search option.
Advanced Search Operators
There are various search operators that will work when you search (you can of course use multiple operators in a single query)...
ANDThe AND operator allows you to search for documents that must contain multiple keywords.
ORThe OR operator allows you to search for documents that contain at least one keyword.
NOTThe NOT operator allows you to search for documents that contain at least one keyword, not not others.
GroupGrouping allows you to group keywords together with various other operators.
PhraseWrapping keywords in quotes will allow you to search for literal phrases.
ProximityYou can specify a proximity search that tells the search engine that you only want documents if a keyword is within xx words of another keyword. In the example below, we only care about results that have the word "hello" within 10 words of the word "world".
QuorumQuorum matching is a bit of fuzzy logic with your search. In the example below, the query is asking for documents that have at least 2 of the 4 words contained in them.
Strict OrderIf you only want search results that contain documents with a certain word before another word, you can do so with the strict order operator.
Exact FormTo search for exact forms of keywords, you can do so with this operator.
Start & End OperatorsThe start and end operator allows you to find documents that start or end with something specific.