VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

10k Revs of 2.5L Big Turbo AWD Rabbit Madness!

100K views 359 replies 59 participants last post by  iowarabbit 
#1 · (Edited)
Originally dubbed Project Mad Rabbit This 2007 Rabbit over the last 2 months has been a fun project that we are really looking forward to. This car was previously an SCCA SSC car which besides the cage meant that it was virtually stock. Over the last 2 months we have slowly been transforming it and trying out different setups. Currently it has the following modifications

• H&R Front and Rear Swaybars
  • BSH Sway Bar End Links
  • JC Cross Competition Coilovers
  • United Motorsport Short Runner Intake
  • Bluewater Performance Stage 1 Flex Fuel Tune
  • Eurojet Header
  • Eurojet Exhaust
  • Full 6 point Race Cage
  • Thunderbunny Rear Bumper
  • Thunderbunny Side Skirts
  • Votex Lower Front Lip
  • Bluewater Battery Relocation Kit
  • Ported and Polished Head

We plan on dynoing the current setup and we are hoping for around 220whp which would make it the highest HP NA Rabbit and as soon as we are finished at the dyno we are starting stage 2 of the transformation.

Stage 2 will consist of

• Integrated Engineering Rods
  • JE 8.5:1cr Pistons
  • Knife Edged Crankshaft
  • Precision 6765 Billet turbine Ball Bearing Turbo
  • 3" Downpipe
  • Custom Cams
  • Bluewater Performance Billet Valve Cover
  • Custom Turbo Manifold
  • Custom Stainless intercooler Piping
  • Treadstone Front Mount Intercooler
  • Bora 4 Motion Drivetrain
  • Peloquin Diff
  • 08 Golf R32 Rear AWD Swap
  • Sparco Pro ADV Race Seats
  • Sparco 5 Point Harnesses
  • Wheels and Tires TBD

Ultimately the goal for this car is to be ready in time to go out to Bonneville in September with our turbo R and then compete in NASA sanctioned racing events and possibly the Eurotuner GP.
We have hp goals of around the 600hp-700hp range and are building it to rev all the way to 10k!! which will make this thing amazing to drive and hear! None of this would be possible without the help of United Motorsport and United Motorsport UK. They are a big sponsor of this project and we are happy to have them along with us. We love the 2.5L engine and feel that there is so much potential for this setup.

See less See more
#5 ·
No valvetrain work for 10k?

And also, only 220 whp on na?

I'm not bashing, nor its my intention... But I thought with headers and intake mani, 210 was easy with the software... Add to that the e85 and I thought more than 220 was possible. I do understand that you are sying that "at least" 220... But I'd think that "at least" it would be 230whp.. That, if e85 is that good.

On the valvetrain, I have read over and over that after 8k you start to be on the edge... So 10k would def need an upgrade... Also, is the crank pulley needed?? Or this is on the stock pulley???

Lastly, you said 08 r rear... What about the box itself? Dsg? Manual?

#6 ·
We will be pushing as far as we can on the stock drivetrain to see where it tops out at and then we will be upgrading from there. As far as HP numbers go keep in mind that the density altitude of where we dyno is typically around 6500' elevation which is a huge factor on the dyno numbers so we lose quite a bit up here. Also we will be using a Bora 4 Motion manual box. We were going to do the DSG swap but with our power goal the DSG box isn't proven to hold that much so we opted for a manual box for the time being.

#16 ·
I'd rather see a company invest money in producing quality products for the market instead of playing a who's got a bigger dick.

If building a insane Rabbit leads to developement in tuning, bolt-ons, internals, cams, etc. Then it is money well spent. Otherwise it is just a show piece.

#25 ·
We are utilizing this project to develop an engine that is capable of revving to 10k. We plan on also using this vehicle in the NASA GTS series on lower boost of course. It is not being built as just a show piece. We are really excited about the 2.5l and we want to push the envelope to see where things go.

You won't get anywhere near 10k on stock valvetrain without float. Even with a bigger spring 10k is borderline... Then there is the stock cams...

Gabe, email me- we may have some stuff available in the next few months which may help your cause. :)
Thanks Pete I will email you. But dont think that with the stock drivetrain it is too far off. We have been pushing our current setup past 8500rpm for over 3 months now without a bit of issue or any valve float and the logs that we have done prove that it continues to pull all the way to redline. Now going past that point cams and valvetrain will need to come in to play but so far the stock valvetrain has proven itself over and over again everyday. :thumbup:

#18 ·
FV-QR

I'm gonna go ahead and back C2 by saying that they don't just play the "Look at my large rabbit penis". The parts they make, they sell. The tunes they make, they sell. Every part on their Stage 3 rabbit you can purchase (except the body tidbits from 1552 that have nothing to do with actual performance, like flares and stuff).

Hell, they have a rabbit dedicated as a "test" car to review tunes/etc if you ever have an issue with your setup. It's hard to expect huge things from smaller companies in a market with lots of interest but no commitment. It is nice though to have companies who try their best to get stuff out to us though.

#19 ·
Exactly. This is how new development comes around. If no one ever said, "Hey, I wanna turbocharge my 2.5L," then no one else would have said, "I want to put a BIGGER turo in my 2.5L."

I say let them play. The more they push, the more they will see a need for parts to accomodate that push. And why would you make one-off parts when you can make a bunch and sell them to people like us who will gladly pay for the small advantage those parts may give us.

#41 ·
When do you guys plan on dynoing your NA setup? Im anxious to see how much power can be made with all those parts since thats most likely the direction Ill be going with my car.

#43 ·
We are planning on dynoing the car before it gets torn apart but for now we are tearing apart the interior and removing all sorts of weight. I will post a pic soon of the parts that were removed but for now we removed an additional 200lbs today and we expect to be able to remove an additional 200 tomorrow which will bring the cars total weight according to the corner balance scales to around 2500lbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.