*:::::::the official what did you do to you mkiv today thread::::::::*

1M views 12K replies 2K participants last post by  ATBB 
#1 · (Edited)
*:::::::the official what did you do to your mkiv today thread::::::::*

This is the newest and latest version of this thread

Rules:

No flaming of others- this is a thread to show and tell not for criticism
Posts must contain MKIV content in some way
Stay on topic- Arguing over the definition of hydrolock should be done through PM's

Now lets get started-

I installed some fresh trees in my GLI-

See less See more
#10,958 ·
Went to a fairly massive Cars and Coffee with some other VW peeps:

The blue GLI has 30k (yes 30,000) miles on it. Completely stock.

This stole the show though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,965 ·
swapped out my 352,000 mile salt corroded beam for a newer cleaner and rebuilt one

new bilstein b6 shocks.
springs are temporary until I get my air stuff sorted out
new bearings. hubs. stub axels. and FABless Droplates to camber match the R Stuff up front.

new brake lines on the beam etc. do. it. all. once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10,990 ·
#11,093 · (Edited)
Clutch time.

Picked up an engine support bar so I could raise and lower the engine as needed.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Used a reversable quick clamp to push the engine forward, and shimmied the transmission out using my knee(s) as support. Didn't even need to take off the passenger side output flange.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Found out my input shaft seal was leaking, so I gave the transmission a quick shower.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Grass Personal protective equipment

Installed a new seal into the input shaft guide, new release bearing, and lubed the pivot points with moly grease.
Wheel Crankset Automotive tire Tire Tread

Old clutch vs new single mass flywheel clutch
Automotive tire Rim Hubcap Gas Circle

#11,257 · (Edited)
Well I spent the weekend replacing my water pump, timing belt, timing tensioner/pulley.
Tire Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Motorcycle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

As you can see the old pump looks like it was starting to leak at the edges. I’m not sure if that or the weep hole was the source of my slow leak.
Bicycle part Rim Gas Camera lens Automotive wheel system

It is good to have piece of mind that the water pump was replaced at least once because I found it to be a GEBA pump with metal impeller. Based on wisdom online I was approaching the end of a safe service interval so now I have piece of mind.

While I had coolant drained, I went ahead and replaced the coolant ball because it was looking tired and I anticipated it cracking if not when I did this job, very soon. It was quite brittle (plus hard to see the coolant level).
Sports equipment Gas Grass Personal protective equipment Ball

Last, while I had everything drained I thought it would be a good time to replace the thermostat housing and coolant flange on the right side of the block with aluminum. I’ve already had one crack with age so just a little insurance. And since I was already removing a ton of stuff to do those I completed the SAI/n249/n112 delete. I picked up resistors and a plate from Carrot Top Tuning. They get mixed reviews but with the nature of these items I wasn’t too worried.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Don’t worry, I secured those hose clamps after taking the pic 🥴.

Apparently whoever halfway did the vac res delete left a few lines uncapped. I found the hardline coming from evap that hits a 3” soft line and then goes to the combo valve to be just open. When I removed the combi I capped that. Huge thanks to XDleader for the help understanding the rats nest of hoses and valves in there!

Anyway I buttoned her all back up, filled with coolant, let it burp, filled it again, and turned her over. I’m glad I took the time to triple check my timing because she runs like a champ! It was a little nerve racking to know if I was a little off it could boink the engine. 😵‍💫

Attachments

#11,342 ·
I just realized this thread exists. I've missed a ton of updates since I've been getting this project VR6 car going. It went from sinking in the ground in my backyard to an insured driving project over the past few months. Got it on ramps and stands yesterday, pulled out the old resonator pipe (everything else was rusted off). Going to install a new Techtonics Tuning catback. Will hopefully have it done on my lunch break.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

#11,343 ·
Got it on ramps and stands yesterday
What a weird contraption.
How exactly did you get the car on ramps that face back to back??

Today I threaded in a left DRL conductor into part of stock left engine bay wiring harness. So I removed ribbed sheath, stripped black wrapping tape, added a conductor, then new wrapping tape and then ribbed sheath back, then all clips, T fittings and finally plugs.

That was my first engine bay harness tweak and I must say this is not as straightforward as I initially thought. Tight space, hard to anticipate how everything snakes in 3D. Cables dust coated, tape does not want to stick, unaligned cables are thicker than sheath can hold. Kink here and there and adding 0.5mm2 wire into 10x1.5mm2 bundle of thick and stiff wires took 2 hours. I had to do everything twice because of length misalignment - conductors must have a bit of slack. Especially a wimpy 0.5mm2.

Automotive tire Gas Water Plumbing Thigh

Looks stock. Right side next week.

#11,486 ·
My AE front caliper carriers arrived… one was ground out where the pad sits so I contacted One Love (where I ordered them) and they sent out a replacement. Excellent customer service with them, and they are really doing us mk4 homies a service finding and selling all these hard to find parts.

I ALSO found a clean set of GLI/AE rear calipers and dust shields locally for a good price (why are these so expensive online?!?) and met with the guy last night. Now I can finally jump up my brake size on the red beast… 1 step closer to full AE (and also looks better with them spokey rims!) now I just need to order some new pads and rotors, and paint my front calipers.
Electrical wiring Gas Wire Bag Auto part

Automotive tire Wood Wheel Motor vehicle Rim

Also… when I got there the guy had a SICK mk2 GLI completely restored And 1.8t swapped on BBS 2 tones, a mk2 GTI he was working on, a mk4 TDI golf he manual swapped/put on monte carlos/lowered and a caddy pickup. Very cool guy.

#9,444 ·
Replaced what I'm thinking were the original shocks and struts on my GLI. 150k on these bois.

Also replaced the original springs which the previous owner had clamped for more lows...at least they didn't just cut them. Made getting the rear springs out easier at any rate.

Replaced with Bilstein OEM Sports and H&R's. Love the fact this car has never left Texas. No rust anywhere, and the fronts just slid right out of the knuckle.