VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1973-1987 Chevy Silverado Cabs

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  aschaeffer 
#1 ·
Anyone know a good place/method to find a 1973 to 1987 Chevy truck cab? I have a 1986 Silverado short bed, motor is rebuilt, frame is great, bed is great, cab is f*ed (corners, rockers and firewall badly rusted). Would like to keep the truck for many years to come but thinking that cab swap may be my only hope. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
parts section of craigslist. I don't know about up there but around here these old chevys are everywhere. People always seem to be parting them out, especially the 2wd long bed ones because they're not worth much once the motor goes. If you can't find a 4wd cab you can make a 2wd cab work.

Cab corners and rockers can be replaced though, never seen one with a rusted firewall.
Also try fullsizechevy.com its a full size chevy forum.

#3 ·
Thanks dude. I have been trying that. Just been picking random southern cities on craigslist and seeing what I come up with. Those trucks don't last as long up here, winters are brutal on them, so there aren't a lot around. I've heard you southern boys are crazy about them though. Somehow the corners right below the windshield rusted out along the way, thats letting water in behind the cowl which is why the firewall is rusting. Kinda a unique condition from what I've seen. Anyway I appreciate the advice though, thanks!

#4 ·
They are a dime a dozen out here on the west coast. You may have to pony up for a parts truck just for the cab as mentioned. Look into the US Government auctions sites for a trashed CUCV M1008 near you. The haggard ones can be had cheap plus you end up with a 14 bolt FF rear and a D60........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.