VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

16v ABA Turbo upgrade

23K views 127 replies 23 participants last post by  REPOMAN 
#1 · (Edited)
So i finally collected the parts i am going to upgrade for this years race season.
I snatched up John Betz Roll cage from his red corrado.
I got the hook up from my good friend Aaron on a set of 1000cc Injectors.
Just got a new 044 pump for the new 034efi Surge tank and i got a new clutch pac
for this year. 2600lbs PP 6 puc disc 9.5lbs Flywheel.
and last but not least My main man Jerry Rynolds AKA White Beard is machining me a fully ported and polished 16v head.
Going to the Dyno and retune for c16 so i can turn the boost all the way up on the GT3076
looking to make 550+whp and finally run a low 11 second 1/4 mile this year. i currently run 12.30 @ 117mph on pump gas 92 octane at 24psi boost. So hopefully 150whp more will get me 1.0 second faster in the 1/4 mile.

See less See more
#92 · (Edited)
It lives!!!!!!! It's Alive HAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAA!
[Evil laugh]

Up and running tonight. A new motor is a hot runner, I took it for a few miles up a few hills trying
to keep the boost down but hit 20psi a few times.... let it sit and idle when i got back to the shop
to see if it will maintain temps.... idled for 10 minutes and temp rose to overheat so i shut it down
bled off the pressure in the coolent bottle and topped it off.. air in the system still. only water for now.
I need a new hose that goes from the overfill bottle to the metal pipe that connects to the heater core.
Anybody got one?
as for the track this weekend I will be going to support my brother in law and his new scirocco but I have decidded to forgo this race due to not enough break in time. This has been a large investment and i won't risk wasting it just to make 1 race.
In a couple of weeks it will be broke in and ready to run big boost.
I will post new pics tomarrow.
:beer::beer:

#94 ·
I got hung up on a single exhaust gasket tonight... so tomarrow i will get it home. I did install a new water hose and another trip around the block.... Found the exhaust leak was a gasket #3
so i called it a night and stopped by my friends place and got a few pics of his 68 Chevelle I painted last summer. 9 second w/ 468 Big Block.

#97 · (Edited)
I finnaly got it finished but i would like to start with a public apoloigy to Jerry for ever doubting him. The oil pan didn't leak......Oil sending unit was leaking..
so an easy fix then a romping test drive and the 5 year old alternator failed:mad:
Thanks to JR he did a little midnight autosalvage and got me another ABA alternator.
I let my brother in law Eric drive it, He was giggleing like a school girl on her first date.
I had the boost controller turned all the way out so only 15 psi. he said damn this thing gets away from you fast... thats why i warned you about gripping the steering wheel firm before you let the dog off the chain.
Here are a few pics of the finished motor.

#100 ·
I don't have the Dough for this weekend and i haven't talked to Roy yet. I will Call him tomarrow
if you still want this weekend for dyno time.

I recovered my headliner.. after 20years it finally started comming off so i couldn't stand it anymore and i recovered it last night.
BTW my wife wanted it to be 100 dollar bills because it's a money pit.lol

So since it is a Rocket........

Before any haters flame me remember it does have a 500hp rocket engine in it.

#101 · (Edited)
Corrado has been running great so i had a go at a Black Supra Turbo... the race was really good untill the Cheap ass Clutch Explodded when i shifted from 9k into 3rd gear.:mad:
I new i should have gone to a tried and true Clutchnet clutch. I will be installing one this week.

Cheap chianese knock off.:thumbdown:

I'll post pics of the carnage this week.

#102 ·
That sucks ass. But I have been there before.

I took the rabbit out today. I must say that with the lower timing the thing is making some Major power. Way more than i thought.

I am going to try and get some more tuning done this week.

#104 ·
No, I installed the new master and bled it to good pressure and the pedal feels right.
master and slave working then i start the engine and the clutch pedal goes to the floor. :confused:
We believe it is a broken Pressure plate and or Clutch disc... I'll post pics tomarrow.
BTW thank Wayne for the hook up on the Master cyclender.

#112 ·
No problem. :thumbup:

Damn! That is some carnage. Did that busted up pressure plate damage anything else in the bell housing?

I should be down at the track tonight. Haven't been to the drags at PIR for a couple years. Vanessa might even come down too. :thumbup:

#114 ·
Sorry man, went out to breakfast with the fam. I Just missed you. I wanted to go for a ride in it. Or race you in my jetta. I might keep up. LOL

#116 ·
I'm ready. I just need my other Laptop for data logging at the track.
I just emailed the company i bought the failed clutch kit from. i will post the details of that after i hear back from them.

Hey Wayne, Sandy and i are wanting to do a Camp 18 cruise this year with some VW friends. can you believe it she said she would ride in the Corrado to camp 18 and back....Write that on the calender.lol
We were thinking You and Vanessa, Gary and Ashley, Jarod and Madelon, Eric and Laila would make
a great time with good friends.
So maybe some time this summer a morning drive to camp 18 for breakfast/lunch.
Brunch is served until 2pm.
LMK

#117 ·
Sounds good to me and I'm sure Vanessa will be down. My June is booked solid but maybe sometime in July or early August will work. Sunday's are best for Vanessa since she has that day off work.

Sandy will actually set foot into the money pit and go for a ride? Amazing!!! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.