VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Poll for current/future TDI owners - Are/Will you be using Diesel fuel additive?

• Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula

Votes: 0 0.0%

Poll for current/future TDI owners - Are/Will you be using Diesel fuel additive?

9K views 30 replies 20 participants last post by  2x6bulldog 
#1 · (Edited)

1. Yes, Stanadyne Performance formula
  2. Yes, Stanadyne Lubricity Formula
  3. Yes, other brand
  4. No, not using diesel fuel additive.

#9 ·
No, this is not an advertisement. I have ordered a TDI SEL and want to know what the current TDI owners are doing in regards to this. It would seem that members of the other VW forums with TDI's are using some sort of diesel additive. This has been an area of discussion since the TDI fuel pump failures in Jetta's, Golf's, and JSW's in the past few years.

#15 ·
I am new to the TDI, the main reason I decided to give VW a try. Anyway, I wanted to get more info on additives (specifically for use in sub 32 degree F temps) and asked the service managers from 3 area dealers in the Boston area. The normal low temp I expect to see will be in the teens but planning for a low of 0 degrees F just to be safe. I also asked about HPFP issues and if they are related (remember, I am new to this).

I am not advocating for using or not using additives, just simply providing my findings for those who may be interested.

Here are the answers:

1. Mattie Imports - "Do not use any additives, they are not necessary. Rare to see HPFP issue."
2. Quirk VW - "Do not use any additives, they are not necessary. Rare to see HPFP issue in TDIs."
3. Minuteman VW - Direct quote from email: "VW offers a fuel additive that is mostly to prevent gelling in colder temps. It is also a cetane booster. As far as the high pressure pumps go, we have not seen any failures at this dealership that were NOT linked to fuel system contamination or misfueling (and we service a very large number of TDIs). All the cars that have had HPFP failure here have been misfueled. I would not hesitate to put in a fuel additive that can be purchased at a dealership for anti-gelling. There shouldn’t be any other need for any other additive."
When I asked more about the brand they used he did eventually say that it was "Stanadyne Performance".

I also emailed VW Customer Care and received this response:
"I understand you are asking if Volkswagen recommends using a fuel additive in your diesel engine, and I appreciate the chance to assist you in any way possible. Volkswagen recognizes you as a valuable owner, and we take your concerns seriously. I looked into this matter internally and have confirmed that Volkswagen does not recommend or approve the use of any additives in our Clean Diesel vehicles. It is our goal to assist our customers whenever possible, and I hope you find this information helpful."

Again, just simply providing my findings for those who may be interested since this seems to be a highly debated topic here and in other forums.

#18 ·
I've had a Cummins Diesel Dodge truck for years. I run Diesel Kleen in it about every 5000 miles and/or whenever we're headed out on a long trip or towing heavy. It runs smoother, starts faster and gets slightly better mileage with it.

I haven't decided on using it in my Passat yet.

#20 ·
I've had a Cummins Diesel Dodge truck for years. I run Diesel Kleen in it about every 5000 miles and/or whenever we're headed out on a long trip or towing heavy. It runs smoother, starts faster and gets slightly better mileage with it.
Also I have been using DIESEL KLEEN (Grey bottle) but since day one in my Passat on every fuel tank.
It was recomended it by a VW dealer service manager and other VW/audi TDi technician.
It works fine.. :)

#19 ·
i will be using lubricity additive.

#22 ·
I have used Diesel Klean for years in two Ford F250's I've owned. One n/a 1992 and my newer 6.0 2005. Both get/got better mileage using it and make it quieter. Still on my first tank that was in it when I bought it..... so haven't put any in yet. How it acts when I put it in may effect my future use.

#26 ·
Ask them all if they would give you a recommended cetane rating number to use. Again, Europe has ratings from 51 to 55. Be lucky to see 45 here in the states. Higher the cetane, better the fuel mileage. (Up to about 55)

And seeing a number of dealers are using the "bad fuel" excuse for denying warranty, request where they recommend we buy our fuel.

#27 ·
I do/will use an additive

I presently use Diesel-Kleen, gray bottle, in my 02 Golf, I have since first fuel-up. The engine is a little quieter and fuel economy is slightly better, and it adds some lubrication for the IP. I am considering an '12 Passat, if I get one, I will be using the Opti-lube XPD. If you read the scar wear tests on the ULSD, most fuels barely meet the minimum requirments for lubricity. The only one that I have read that easily meets the specs is the fuel from Irving, and that is still not that great. Because of the HPFP issues, and the associated costs IF something goes wrong, which seems to be rare, I will be using an additive as cheap insurance. Also, because of the HPFP issues, I am also going to see if the CAT 2 micron fuel filter is still available and if it will fit on the Passat.

Jim

#29 ·
Every fill-up using this formula:

Gallons of Diesel Fuel to Treat Ounces of Additive Required
3 gallons 1 ounce
40 gallons 16 ounces
100 gallons 32 ounces
250 gallons 80 ounces

So, 15 gal = about 5 oz. No one runs their tank dry, right? I use a marked funnel to add the Diesel Kleen. Yeah, it stinks as bad or worse as diesel fuel! Gloves are good.

Over adding doesn't hurt anything except wallet!

See here: http://www.powerservice.com/dk/

#30 ·
I use a little splash of power service with every fill in all my Diesels. It's hard to get high cetane fuel around here, and it does make a small, but real difference. You can really tell on a car with worn out injectors, it knocks down the knocking :laugh:

-J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.