Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Can a Washer/Dryer lay on its side for transport?

Vehicles
      '07 Cayman S, '14 FieSTa, '90 GLi VR6, '96 Passat TDi Wagon
      08-28-2003 09:00 PM #1
      Hello,

I am buying a used W/D and I will need to transport them. It may be a possibility to get my company's suburban to pick these up. Only problem is that the suburban's rear gate is 40" high, and the W/D I am getting is/are 44" high.

Can they lay on their side for transport or will this damage them? If they can lay on their side, cool, if not, I will have to bug a guy at work who has a pickup and utility trailer

Thanks guys!

2. 08-29-2003 10:22 AM #2
      Rent a pickup truck or a trailer.

Some Home Depot locations have a pickup you can rent for not much money.

Vehicles
      03 a4 1.8t avant
      08-29-2003 10:56 AM #3
      Sure they can, but a pickup is probably better.

4. 08-29-2003 01:15 PM #4
      I think the dryer should be OK, but the Washer shouldn't be transported on its side for any lengthy trip. We have been professionally moved across country twice and both times they send some appliance guy out the put some styrofoam thingy on the inside drum of the washer, something about a bearing or something that can get damaged in transit. However I have moved washers plenty of times (up-right) in the back of a truck and never had any problem. Go to an appliance store and see if they sell those things (or at least look at one, I am sure you can fig something). I think as long as you can stabilize the drum from slamming from side to side during transit you should be OK. Try to find a buddy with a pick-up and alleviate any worries though.

Vehicles
      '07 Cayman S, '14 FieSTa, '90 GLi VR6, '96 Passat TDi Wagon
      08-29-2003 02:23 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by TravelnBill »
      Rent a pickup truck or a trailer.

Some Home Depot locations have a pickup you can rent for not much money.

Well that costs $ and I can get the company suburban for free.... I could bug a guy here who has a trailer, but I dont want to inconvienence him. I think the burb will work out in the end... but I will check w/ an appliance store on the stabalizer.

6. 08-29-2003 05:39 PM #6
      >>I think the dryer should be OK, but the Washer shouldn't be transported on its side for any lengthy trip.

What he said.
      These things have belts and are balanced so they don't go BOOM BOOM BOOM when you wash your clothes.

08-29-2003 11:17 PM #7
      Depending on what model and year the washing machine is there might be a problem.
      Tipping it on it's side could cause it to lose oil from the transmission, making a mess and draining the tranny.
      Ask me how I know
      If you love your motorcycle, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high sided

8. 08-30-2003 08:11 AM #8
      Quote, originally posted by cerksies »
      Well that costs $ and I can get the company suburban for free....

The Home Depot truck used to be pretty cheap. U-Haul trailers are cheap too, if you've got a way to tow them.

Either would be less expensive than repairing a washer.

9. 09-01-2003 01:47 PM #9
      I grew up in appliance repair. W/D are just fine on side.

If you have a blanket or foam to support the tub, even better.

It is the fridge that should not be transported on its side. Oil from the compressor flows into the gas lines, starter up and blow the compressor.
      You CAN transport a fridge on it side, if you let it stand upright overnight before turning it on.

10. 09-01-2003 01:54 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by cerksies »

Well that costs $ and I can get the company suburban for free.... I could bug a guy here who has a trailer, but I dont want to inconvienence him. I think the burb will work out in the end... but I will check w/ an appliance store on the stabalizer.

doing it the wrong way is going to cost you more then doing it the cheaper way...homedepot truck is like $20 an hrs....no biggie.