Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Co2 Cooled "Cryogenic Air Intake" on a 1.8T

1. 09-10-2003 12:38 AM #1
      Bumped into this link in another topic. I'd like to hear some thoughts.

http://www.designengineering.com/products.html

The IC cooler of course has been talked about alot but what about some of these other items that can be added to their Co2 system. I saw that this was brought up back in May without many replies. Is it Snake Oil or perhaps just too pricey to be worth it.

This one was particularly interesting IMO.

CryO²™ - CRYOGENIC AIR INTAKE

Quote, originally posted by Design Engineering Inc website »

Aerodynamically designed bulb.
      A colder, denser more powerful charge.
      Dyno testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature of more than 35%.
      Can be used on tubocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated applications.
      Installs in minutes.

The CryO²™ Air Intake consists of an aerodynamically design bulb with a cryogenic chamber which is mounted in a 4" segment of air tube. As the air passes over the bulb heat is removed from the air charge resulting in a colder, denser more powerful charge. Dyno testing showed a reduction in intake air temperature of more than 35%. The CryO²™ Air Intake can be used on tubocharged, supercharged or naturally aspirated applications. Multiple units can be used for colder results. Installs in minutes and comes with silicone connection sleeve, hose clamps and connection/vent hose.

2. 09-10-2003 12:56 AM #2
      interesting indeed

3. 09-10-2003 01:01 AM #3
      bump

4. Member
      09-10-2003 01:09 AM #4
      And you would do this why? Are you forgetting you have a turbocharged motor? Once the air is past through the turbo it's just going to get superheated. You want to do all the cooling you can POST turbo. You'd be better off sticking with the intercooler spray bar. All this will do is add an obstruction and cause turbulance in the intake. But what do I know?

5. 09-10-2003 01:13 AM #5
      what do u mean by super heated

Vehicles
      2010 CC R-Line
      09-10-2003 01:20 AM #6
      Drive your car REALLY hard for about 5 minutes and then pop your hood and go out and look. See that red glowing mass behind the head??? That's your turbo. Any air that comes into thatis going to be blown out "Super-heated".

It then goes to the IC and then to the manifold, cooled down by the IC. That's why this thing is pointless.

2010 CC R-Line Reflex Silver

7. 09-10-2003 01:21 AM #7
      and another thing. why do all of these ricers here on the "vortex" want parts like this. if your like me and barely boosting, you spend your hard earned money on something that will actually pick up power. not sum gadget that you saw last week on "super tuner tv". If your gonna waste money on stupid stuff like this, you might as well save all the money that you were gonna put toward this useless item...and then save up sum more...and sum more....and sum more.... and then you could just go ahead and waste all your money like everyone else and go APR stage 3

8. 09-10-2003 01:34 AM #8
      this system is designed to be daily chained so it could cool your intake charge initially thereby cooling your entire turbo instead of just cooling what is downline, which it would do since the gas would pass through the intake piece then into maybe a fuel rail piece and finally onto the intercooler as liquid c02 spray.

9. 09-10-2003 01:37 AM #9
      sorry can you re-word your post that made no sense at all

10. Member
      09-10-2003 01:44 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by ND4SPDTT »
      this system is designed to be daily chained so it could cool your intake charge initially thereby cooling your entire turbo instead of just cooling what is downline, which it would do since the gas would pass through the intake piece then into maybe a fuel rail piece and finally onto the intercooler as liquid c02 spray.

OMG!!!! No wonder you only have 15 posts? Copy and paste my sig to yours. You need it. Do you understand how a turbocharged engine works? This will not cool anything before the turbo. Also, how do you expect this to get to your fuel rail? And one more thing....this does not inject co2 into your intake. The co2 cools the little "dingleberry" that sits in the intake thereby cooling the intake air. It's only effective on an N/A motor and I wouldn't even waste my money then.

11. 09-10-2003 01:50 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by 1.8T Civic »
      and another thing. why do all of these ricers here on the "vortex" want parts like this. if your like me and barely boosting, you spend your hard earned money on something that will actually pick up power. not sum gadget that you saw last week on "super tuner tv". If your gonna waste money on stupid stuff like this, you might as well save all the money that you were gonna put toward this useless item...and then save up sum more...and sum more....and sum more.... and then you could just go ahead and waste all your money like everyone else and go APR stage 3

wasted $$ on APR stage 3? riiiiiight....and WHY are you on this forum again? Mr. 1.8T NON VW? How about not ragging on someone just for asking a question, tell him your thoughts on the 'product' in question and move on, don't badmouth him and arguably the best bolt-on stage 3 kit available right now just b/c you have a civic hatch that weighs 300 lbs. with a full tank of gas and can put down 200 whp and be fast as nuts....go on honda-tech or clubsi.com and talk about APC lights or something

12. 09-10-2003 01:55 AM #12
      Air Intake > C02 Cooler > Turbo > IC (cooled by the spray from the other unit)> Intake Manifold

C02 path is bottle > C02 intake cooler > spray onto ic's

13. Member
      09-10-2003 02:01 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by boostin2002 »

wasted $$ on APR stage 3? riiiiiight....and WHY are you on this forum again? Mr. 1.8T NON VW? How about not ragging on someone just for asking a question, tell him your thoughts on the 'product' in question and move on, don't badmouth him and arguably the best bolt-on stage 3 kit available right now just b/c you have a civic hatch that weighs 300 lbs. with a full tank of gas and can put down 200 whp and be fast as nuts....go on honda-tech or clubsi.com and talk about APC lights or something

Actually it's a 2000lb civic making 600hp and street legal.

14. Member
      09-10-2003 02:04 AM #14
      What the hell is this suppose to mean? Cooling before the turbo looses all of it's effectiveness once the air is passed through the turbo and super heated? This isn't any kind of injection that is going into the motor either. Only the little ball is cooled and that cools the air that passes it and then it's just heated again by the turbo. Not to mention it adds an obstruction for air to pass by in the intake.
      Quote, originally posted by ND4SPDTT »
      Air Intake > C02 Cooler > Turbo > IC (cooled by the spray from the other unit)> Intake Manifold

C02 path is bottle > C02 intake cooler > spray onto ic's

15. 09-10-2003 02:16 AM #15
      But cooling before the turbo may lose some effectiveness, but it will cool the incoming air regardless, and keep the turbo cooler, and since the C02 is just passing through this fitting anyway on it's way to the FMIC and/or fuel rail... it's not a bad idea. Of course turbulance and restriction aside.

16. 09-10-2003 02:18 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by barelyboosting1.8t »

if I wanted to hear stats on a civic I'd be on a honda forum, which is where that foo should be....

17. Member
      09-10-2003 02:24 AM #17
      Dude, I'm not trying to be harsh but stop. What you're saying is not making any sense. The fuel rail is a completely different component. Air does not pass through it. FUEL DOES! And do you really think this is going to cool your 900+ degree turbo? No, it isn't. The spray bars that they make cool the intercooler from the outside to increase it's effectiveness of cooling the air that passes through it. THAT would be effective since it's air that has already been passed through the turbo and heated and would be cooled before entering the intake manifold.

18. Member
      09-10-2003 02:27 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by boostin2002 »

if I wanted to hear stats on a civic I'd be on a honda forum, which is where that foo should be....

Hey, it's still a 1.8t. Well, after the larger bore. He's just trying to put you euro-ricers in your place.

Vehicles
      1995 VW : 2010 VW : 2013 VW
      09-10-2003 02:36 AM #19
      huh ........it does not really need to be placed in the intake it could be placed before the intake manifold or maybe before the intercooler after the turbo.

=boost

--- SPACE FOR RENT---

Quote Originally Posted by schwartzmagic View Post
      Those VRTs are so full of win :-D

www.dubcartel.net

20. 09-10-2003 02:41 AM #20
      Cooling after the turbo is best, but if the air is cooler going in, its cooler coming out. That should be common sense.

This system is designed to cool EVERYTHING. It starts at the intake, then cools the fuel, and finally is discharged on the intercooler, where it would be the most effective.

Cool idea, but I personally would only rock the IC chiller on my car.

Vehicles
      89 vw golf vr6, 10 jetta tdi
      09-10-2003 02:42 AM #21
      let him be on the vortex forum..and stop being pricks..our cars are not the fastest in the world..its just an idea..don't gotta flame nobody ..this forum is getting way too nasty..and remember...we are not the fastest..to the civic..good job creating all that horse power..the thing is can you put it to the ground?
      johnny :: '89 vw golf vr6 :: '10 vw jetta tdi bagged

22. Member
      09-10-2003 02:48 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Boost112 »
      huh ........it does not really need to be placed in the intake it could be placed before the intake manifold or maybe before the intercooler after the turbo.

=boost

Yeah, it could but it wouldn't be nearly as effective as cooling the intercooler and would cause an even GREATER obstruction due to the boost pressure having to pass around it. You should just get a Tordano man!!!!!

23. Member
      09-10-2003 02:50 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by FrankiEBoneZ »
      Cooling after the turbo is best, but if the air is cooler going in, its cooler coming out. That should be common sense.

This system is designed to cool EVERYTHING. It starts at the intake, then cools the fuel, and finally is discharged on the intercooler, where it would be the most effective.

Cool idea, but I personally would only rock the IC chiller on my car.

How many times do I have to say it. NOTHING IS INJECTED INTO THE MOTOR. And how does it cool the fuel? WOW, stumper there huh?

24. Member
      09-10-2003 02:54 AM #24
      Quote, originally posted by mk4 turbo gti »
      let him be on the vortex forum..and stop being pricks..our cars are not the fastest in the world..its just an idea..don't gotta flame nobody ..this forum is getting way too nasty..and remember...we are not the fastest..to the civic..good job creating all that horse power..the thing is can you put it to the ground?

The solid spool, Prodrive hub assembly, and stage v axles take care of that. Besides......that's what roll racing's for. On a closed course by the way.

25. Banned
      09-10-2003 03:01 AM #25

I Could careless, wow a 600HP FUKIN STREET LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!

You want a fuking cookie you *** tard!!!

Its a civic NUFF SAID

and he shouldnt be talking bout rice, cuz for one he has a 600hp street legale civic, did i say wow already, cuz WOW!!!
      And for 2 no need to be a complete *** tard!!!!!!, the guys asking a simple question and for toughts and comments on it, not some civic boy flexing cuz he has a 600hp street legal civic

ONCE AGIAN WOW~!!!!

Like stated above, i could careless, give the guy some slack, and stop being a homo!!!

26. 09-10-2003 03:01 AM #26
      this shouldnt be on the intake... it should be just before the throttle body... that way the air is "cooler" when it gets in the ENGINE not the turbo

27. Banned
      09-10-2003 03:05 AM #27
      let me refrase that last post ....By the looks of it hes not being as mean as the other guy!!!

Whatever i dont care!!!! lol your all being mean!!!!!

28. Member
      09-10-2003 03:11 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by DimcheMKV »
      let me refrase that last post ....By the looks of it hes not being as mean as the other guy!!!

Whatever i dont care!!!! lol your all being mean!!!!!

Not trying to be mean. Just making a point that this thing is practically useless on a force inducted car. And 1.8t civic can post wherever he wants. That's why this is a public forum. And being mean to r i c e r s IS fun.....yes.

29. 09-10-2003 03:14 AM #29
      MAN! Alot sure does happen real fast around here these days!

30. Banned
      09-10-2003 03:19 AM #30
      MAN! Alot sure does happen real fast around here these days!

yup!!!

BTW.....When i said homo i didnt mean homo in that kind of a way, before someone gets mad at me....I said it more in a way like stop being so stupid, i call it homo....Not homo in a gay way

Okie im done

31. 09-10-2003 03:20 AM #31

How many times do I have to say it. NOTHING IS INJECTED INTO THE MOTOR. And how does it cool the fuel? WOW, stumper there huh?

I didn't say ANYTHING about it being injected into the motor.

Apparently you didnt even look at the site, since you dont know how it cools the fuel.

It cools the fuel by passing it a small casing that has an inlet and outlet for fuel lines. Thus keeping the little box (or whatever its called, not checking for the tech term) cool, and cooling what goes through it.

Anything else?

32. Member
      09-10-2003 03:29 AM #32
      My bad Frankie. I didn't go to there site. I was just looking at what had posted on this thread since that's what the whole thread was about and the fuel cooler doesn't come with the intake kit. And when I was saying that it doesn't inject anything I thought you were saying that the co2 goes through the intake, turbo, to the ic, and into the tb. Now I know you were refering to just the air. Regardless though, this is not going to make the air any cooler if it passes through the turbo. After the turbo you MAY see some temp drop but I don't see it being worth the trade off of having a big fat thing in the middle of my ic piping. The ic spray bar and the fuel cooler I can see being quite beneficial though.

33. Banned
      09-10-2003 03:29 AM #33

I didn't say ANYTHING about it being injected into the motor.

Apparently you didnt even look at the site, since you dont know how it cools the fuel.

It cools the fuel by passing it a small casing that has an inlet and outlet for fuel lines. Thus keeping the little box (or whatever its called, not checking for the tech term) cool, and cooling what goes through it.

Anything else?

WOW!!! lol
      Somone got owned someone got owned!!!!!!! lol

I like the ending twist, Anything else? lol

34. Member
      09-10-2003 03:32 AM #34
      Seems to me anyone who buys this is the one that is gonna get OWNED.

35. 09-10-2003 03:43 AM #35
      I'm sorry but superheated air is like over 1000deg F so I don't think our little k03s even come close to "superheated"
      Sean Winkler
      Sales & Leasing Consultant | Barrier Audi
      Office: 877-243-2181
      Cell: 425-750-5007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast