Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Cheap, small trucks = cool? (Minitrucks)

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      09-12-2003 09:01 AM #1
      Cheap, small trucks = cool? (Minitrucks)

I was remembering back in HS (late 80's) that a lot of my friends drove S-10's and Rangers of the 4cyl, stick, reg. cab, 2WD variety. This was back before everyone wanted a pick up, and they were cheap, cheap, cheap.

That got me thinking how dirt cheap you can get a low level S-10 or Ranger right now.. deep discounting and 0% financing surely make these a bargain. The imports are nice too, but generally more expensive.

I've seen some really sweet, tasteful mods out there. lower it a couple inches, nice exhaust, nice set of wheels and tires.

Am I crazy (or just old) or is that a sweet, cheap way to build a fun vehicle for a young man? Obviously you wouldn't be hauling around your kids, or a 7k# boat, but I could really see my younger self in something like that.

In an age when every moron with a copy of the FnF DVD has an import, would a nicely done minitruck stand out from the crowd?

Anyway... just pondering out loud... any minitruck fans?

Ranger: http://www.edmunds.com/new/200...um3.1.*

S-10: http://www.edmunds.com/new/200...um5.1.*

http://www.belltechcorp.com/pages/minitruck.htm

I know this isn't a minitruck, but it's freakin' gorgeous IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

2. Banned
      09-12-2003 09:09 AM #2
      i still think it's one of the best ways to have both a bit of utility, and a blanck canvas for personal custom expression for very little money. the smaller 4 cyl versions were also very economical to own, with cheap insurance, good fuel mileage, and almost ALL of them were (and are) simple and fairly rugged designs.

I've had quite a few of them, and customized some for other people. Even older ones are still great bargains...

This was my last one, back in '98

Vehicles
      NB Miata
      09-12-2003 09:57 AM #3
      Quote, originally posted by Sporin »
      Am I crazy (or just old) or is that a sweet, cheap way to build a fun vehicle for a young man? Obviously you wouldn't be hauling around your kids, or a 7k# boat, but I could really see my younger self in something like that.

If your idea of fun is cruisin' and personal visual expression, yes.

My idea of fun is doing things that a full framed vehicle with leaf springs isn't designed to do, though, and so it is for a lot of kids, which is why we drive small cars

Splinter - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      I don't practice llanteria

4. 09-12-2003 10:01 AM #4
      FWD trucks are not cool by any means. I see idiots near me slam their rangers and s-10's and they bottom out when they pull out of the local acme.

Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      09-12-2003 10:03 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by aliengti »
      FWD trucks are not cool by any means. I see idiots near me slam their rangers and s-10's and they bottom out when they pull out of the local acme.

FWD?

I want a Mazda Rotary Pickup.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 GTI VR6
      09-12-2003 10:12 AM #6
      When I was in High School these things were very popular. Nissans and S-10s seemed to be the platforms of choice. especially the s-10s that were slammed with 350s lurking under the hood.. yum.

Vehicles
      90 Miata, 13 Leaf
      09-12-2003 10:12 AM #7

The only FWD pickup I am aware of is the Rabbit based one, which is actually a pretty cool little vehicle.

1990 Miata
      2013 Leaf
      2018(No, Really!) Locost 247

09-12-2003 10:13 AM #8
      Don't forget about the Rampage!

Chris

| 2012 Nissan Leaf | 2005 Chrysler T&C |

Vehicles
      90 Miata, 13 Leaf
      09-12-2003 10:15 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by 200HP4dr »
      Don't forget about the Rampage!

Chris

Can't forget about it if I don't know about it!

1990 Miata
      2013 Leaf
      2018(No, Really!) Locost 247

10. Banned
      09-12-2003 10:17 AM #10

"If it doesn't scrape, it ain't low enough!"

It's a lowrider thing. You obviously are incapable of understanding it even if it were explained in detail. Just do like AKA did, and say you like something else better. Insulting people (like me who have owned them) and puting it down simply because it isn't your taste is BS. THAT'S the crap I'm so tired of here.

11. 09-12-2003 11:23 AM #11
      Quote »

If your idea of fun is cruisin' and personal visual expression, yes.

My idea of fun is doing things that a full framed vehicle with leaf springs isn't designed to do, though, and so it is for a lot of kids, which is why we drive small cars

You have a point, but compact trucks are among the easiest to modify vehicles out there. My near stock (lowered) Ranger had absolutely no trouble keeping up with an acquaintance's stock mk3 VR6 on our favorite twisty road. If I decide to keep my truck and do the 5.0 swap I had planned, it's getting a 4 link rear with coilovers and some work done to the front as well. It will have no problems keeping up with > 50% of the sport compacts out there in the turns, and waste even more of them in the straights. The best thing is that my plans are relatively cheap and easy to put into action. Why not just get a sport compact? Maybe I don't want one. My truck is still pretty useful, and I have a small car already. Even with the rear end 4-5" lower than stock, my ability to haul whatever I want has not been compromised.

Not all of them are slow either. I'm probably putting down ~250 lb-ft of torque in a 3000 pound vehicle, and combined with a 3.55 traction lok and a 5 speed, it gets up and goes pretty well.

Vehicles
      74 Stupidbeetle, 62 DD Panel and 11 Scion Xb
      09-12-2003 11:24 AM #12
      All I have to say is turbo Toyota!!!! Good luck finding one but they are very cool

13. 09-12-2003 11:26 AM #13
      One thing I forgot to mention is that I HATE "minitrucks". Minitrucks are all bling with no effort put towards performance or good taste. Not all modified compact trucks are "minitrucks".

Vehicles
      NB Miata
      09-12-2003 11:27 AM #14
      Quote, originally posted by sar4497 »
      You have a point, but compact trucks are among the easiest to modify vehicles out there. My near stock (lowered) Ranger had absolutely no trouble keeping up with an acquaintance's stock mk3 VR6 on our favorite twisty road.

I owned a stock-suspended Mk3 VR6. That is NO accomplishment

4-links are no good for handling, either, unless you alter the geometry quite a bit from what comes in those prefab frame kits. They're set up for drag or lowriding, it puts the roll center a lot higher than you'd want it.

Vehicles
      NB Miata
      09-12-2003 11:31 AM #15
      Hey Chris V lighten the f up. ... Quit being a douche to people you don't agree with.

I think you need to heed your own advice, there

There's nothing wrong with something that's all-show. It's not my taste or yours but it's automotive culture and it's cool

16. 09-12-2003 11:36 AM #16
      Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »

I owned a stock-suspended Mk3 VR6. That is NO accomplishment

My point was that I was basically at a *starting point* on the suspension, as was the mk3.

Quote »
      4-links are no good for handling, either, unless you alter the geometry quite a bit from what comes in those prefab frame kits. They're set up for drag or lowriding, it puts the roll center a lot higher than you'd want it.

They have proven to be quite good in the right combination. Ladder bars are for drag.

17. Banned
      09-12-2003 11:36 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by sar4497 »
      One thing I forgot to mention is that I HATE "minitrucks". Minitrucks are all bling with no effort put towards performance or good taste. Not all modified compact trucks are "minitrucks".

Why does everything HAVE to be about adding performance? I see no reason to make sure EVERY vehicle is dripping with testosterone...

Don't get me wrong.. I LIKE added performance (otherwise I wouldn't be wanting to build up a big block BMW...) but jeeze. let's separate customizing from "bling." for a bit, shall we? Just because it isn't trying to be a race car doens' tmean that it's about "bling." It MAY just be about being creative, and having fun, like the truck I painted, above. if you want only added perforamcne in YOUR cars, so be it. But calling others idiots because they don't feel the need to have any more performance than the car already gives, or don't even need THAT much performance, is just mean.

Vehicles
      vaudi
      09-12-2003 01:00 PM #18

No mini truck for my brother....last week he just bought a 2003 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Hemi.....with the optional 20" wheels.....Needless to say, the truck is an absolute friggin' beast....almost grossly enormous in stance and it's fast as all hell.......it's a sick truck.....does he need it?....of course not....but what the hell...

Vehicles
      2006 Acura TSX 6MT Tech, 2013 Acura RDX Tech
      09-12-2003 01:04 PM #19
      I really like Nissan's Frontier. I can't wait for Hondas pickup to make its debut

20. Member
      Vehicles
      71-911T 72-521 92-964 14-Volt
      09-12-2003 01:15 PM #20
      A friend in high school bought an S-10 from a police auction for a few hundred, kept it stock, and just dumped it. It was the really boxy one, white with the dog dish hubcaps and stock whitewall tires. I hated it at the time, but now I'm really starting to dig those things.

I'm thinking about getting one, primering it black and painting the steelies red, and dropping it to the ground.. maybe a little candy metalflake on the roof, too.

The mini-truck scene is crazy nowadays. I'm not into the show trucks at all, but the subtle ones are kool.

21. Banned
      09-12-2003 01:16 PM #21
      Hey Chris V lighten the f up. ... Quit being a douche to people you don't agree with.

Isnt' that EXACTLY what you're doing to the people that drive the lowered minitrucks????? Calling them idiots and using the thumbdown with the comment "not cool at all." ???? My point is to treat you exactly as you are treating others. Apparently you don't like it. So knock it the hell off yourself.

People think I respond like this simply because I don't like people that disagree with me. I really don't give a rat's ass if you don't like the same things I do. You simply don't se that I'm merely responding to them with the courtesy that they are showing those they are putting down tostart with. I may not like the same things you do. That doesn't give me the right to call those things stupid, and the people that like them idiots (as you were so willing to do). But I will respond that way to peole that are NOT extending that courtesy themselves, as in your post.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      09-12-2003 04:46 PM #22
      Why not build a Syclone um... clone... only with a V8 and a 5 speed and a posi rear end.

• Clean Southern 82-93 RC, SB, S-10 or S-15 in great shape

• Used V8, rebuild it yourself, plus an adapter kit (Motor mounts,
      Radiator, & Headers

• 3" lowering kit

• Bilsteins

• Nice set of 17's and street rubber

• Dual exhaust w/ Flowmasters

• Subtle bodykit

• Paint and pinstripe.

You could build it all for a lot less then what nice Syclones are going for these days ($10K and up). Sure it won't be quite as fast, but it would look great, sound great, and move along just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com