Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carb conversion

Vehicles
      '03 Passat GLX Wagon, '90 Jetta GLi
      03-16-2012 01:57 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Beetleguru View Post

Not sure if it will clear in a FOx but here;'s a single weber two barrel carb (40 IDF) on an old Rabbit of mine. It was a 1.8 Jetta engine. Totally stock except for the carb and exhaust. This thing FLEW! I had the speedo pegged at 120 mph with plenty of pedal to go!

I'm a big fan of the fuel line running an inch from the uncovered timing belt and sprocket.

2. 03-16-2012 04:20 PM #37
      Carbs really? Do you want some drum brakes and a set of bias ply tires too? I get the whole period correct mid 80's mods but why use a part that was old and outdated when this car was new?

Vehicles
      00&01 Focus ZX3,01 Focus Wagon,00 Durango R/T, 89 Cabriolet, 77 Beetle, 70 Bus camper, 89 Fox coupe
      03-16-2012 08:00 PM #38
      i wanna know why we bumped a really really really old thread for that

Vehicles
      03-16-2012 08:18 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by cfvwtuner View Post
      i wanna know why we bumped a really really really old thread for that
      Safety first!

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      03-17-2012 01:02 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Banned wagon View Post
      Carbs really? Do you want some drum brakes and a set of bias ply tires too? I get the whole period correct mid 80's mods but why use a part that was old and outdated when this car was new?
      Normally with you on most things, but hope you are joking.

6. 03-17-2012 11:25 AM #41
      Yes I will give you that carbs are a quick and easy way to make more power over a poorly tuned and misunderstood stock FI system. they will never be smog leagle or usable on the road in any civilized part of the country

Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      03-17-2012 04:40 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Banned wagon View Post
      Yes I will give you that carbs are a quick and easy way to make more power over a poorly tuned and misunderstood stock FI system. they will never be smog leagle or usable on the road in any civilized part of the country

You will 100% make more power over any stock 80's FI system with a nicely tuned Dual setup.

Here in MA we pass as long as it doesn't smoke. I used to live in LA, I would hardly consider it civilized

Sorry, I just love the sound.

8. 03-19-2012 10:02 AM #43
      Carbs will make more power and if you go the 2bbl or small 4 bbl route should be easy. The legal part all depends on where you live. In general most places dont wont you going backward on technology. The power is there and they do sound good. On the flip side of the coin, carbs can be a pain in the butt to sycronize and get running right. Your mileage will decrease and you do a lot more adjusting when the weather changes. All in all, I would get my FI running right with 4 dollar gas fast approaching.

9. 03-22-2012 09:35 AM #44
      this is way a lot of the tredsters love carbs

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Gol GTS 1994
      03-27-2012 02:18 PM #45
      I like carbs:

Dual Solex C-40 running gasoline. It's a 1.9 engine, with 84 mm pistons and 149 mm rods.

Vehicles
      90 Audi S8coupe, 90 Fox Wagon, wife's 2008 CW R32, kid's 89 2l 16V gli, 2010 Jetta TDI
      03-30-2012 11:25 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Difus View Post

This car has power steering? Reservoir just in front of the carbs?

Greg W.
      They have my car when they pry my dead cold fingers from the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      90 Fox, 91 Jetta (RIP), 98 A4 (RIP)
      03-31-2012 12:35 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 90quattrocoupe View Post

Greg W.
      That is something I will be working on once my Fox gets torn down. Got an Audi 4000 rack, pump, lines, reservoir and steering column
      If you were a Volkswagen....who would your owner be?

Vehicles
      90 Audi S8coupe, 90 Fox Wagon, wife's 2008 CW R32, kid's 89 2l 16V gli, 2010 Jetta TDI
      03-31-2012 01:06 PM #48
      Jess,
      There are a couple of guys with drag racing Audi Coupes, who have put Fox racks in their cars. So I don't think you would have to replace the steering column. Don't know for sure.

There is not much space in a Fox, so that one in that Fox, with the reservoir on top of the pump is a great idea. Harks back to the 50s and early sixties, when cars used that same system. That is why I recognized it.

Greg W.
      They have my car when they pry my dead cold fingers from the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      90 Fox, 91 Jetta (RIP), 98 A4 (RIP)
      03-31-2012 01:38 PM #49
      Total threadjack ...but anyways, yea I was unsure whether the column was needed or not. Being that I had money back then I just grabbed it for insurance. I was thinking about mounting the pump where the AC compressor goes and putting the reservoir where the battery tray is. Still up in the air though
      Last edited by j-boogie253; 03-31-2012 at 03:07 PM.
      If you were a Volkswagen....who would your owner be?

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Gol GTS 1994
      04-01-2012 09:18 AM #50

Greg W.
      Yes, the stock - and stupid - brazilian unit. Pump and reservoir are mounted together, on the engine, what makes that reservoir cap never works and a lot of steering fluid wanna be friend of other parts of the engine bay.
      And the front Solex needed a little work to fit behind the reservoir.

Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon ...................... 1990 Fox Wagon
      04-01-2012 04:12 PM #51
      My recipe for PS is the quick rack from 034 and an electric PS Pump from an MR2.

I like my carbs in pasta.

Vehicles
      04-04-2012 10:20 PM #52
      Anyone that has run a single downdraft progressive carb know a good baseline set of jets to use for a 32/36 DGEV on a stock 1.8L 8v?

Vehicles
      84 VW Rabbit GTI, 84 VW Jetta Coupe
      02-27-2013 04:34 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by the brit View Post
      I've heard of people using bike throttle bodies, but the most popular way to get performance carbs is to use a set of Weber duel 40s or 44s. I have a friend who cheaply carbed her 8v gti engine who i could ask what she used - her carb was a single body which i suspect might be sourced from an older euro vw.. EDIT: I know the some of older style cabriolets came with carbs on an 8v.

(DCOEs).

Modified by the brit at 5:01 AM 9-14-2003

Modified by the brit at 5:04 AM 9-14-2003

Awesome!

19. 02-27-2013 09:22 PM #54
      It is awesome. I especially like the bike carb racks of four. People catch a good bit of flack on here about carbs, and needlessly bumping old threads , but I don't get it. I am an aircraft mechanic, and 9 out of 10 of the piston driven planes I work on are carburated. The ones that are injected are mechanical. The pilot has a fuel flow and manifold pressure gauges and meters the system himself through a mixture, throttle, and prop pitch controls. Super simple. The reat have carbs for a reason. The carbs are archaic, big, simple, inefficient, and INCREDIBLY reliable. I have never dealt with a "finicky" carb to date. They are just dirty that's all. So if you could care less about Spotted Owls and the ozone layer then go for it. I took the time to learn my CIS-E system and I'll say that it is great. I like it for the same reason that I like carbs. It is simple, and relatively reliable. But I will say that IMHO, carbs are far more simple, and far more reliable. You just need to be able to tune by sight, smell, sound, and feel. You can't set them up the way a book says and expect them to zip you on down the bricks flawlessly. You have to be your own ECU. Very down and dirty, and very fun for the tinkerer. I think it helps to think about a carb as a FI setup. The injector is just in the throttle body. It is just a slightly different way to deliver fuel and air. For anyone thinking about it I say go for it. Don't do it because you can't figure out your FI. Educate yourself prior to fully considering the swap. Better than FI? No. As good if you don't care about economy? Sure. Competitive when it comes to forced induction? Modern FI hands down. Sound? We all know the answer there. Carbs sound like a gorilla getting attacked by a swarm of bees on crystal methamphetamine. Love it. Carbs are for the nostalgiac at heart. I saw a question posted somewhere about a carb swap and someone replied, "why don't you get a set of bias plies?" Now come on. Be open minded.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      1988 fox wagon, (past 85 volvo turbo)
      02-28-2013 12:30 AM #55
      in the early 90's when i wrenched for I living, I even got the honor to go to Chicago to train at BOSCH for a week.

I learned so much about different FI systems
      with C-jet I think it was #17 pin to get the lamda/dwell out of,
      CIS I I believe was voltage and L jet had to come off of the OX sensor.
      LH I dont rember.

It was cool- bmw's 320's never used the #17 feature but we spinal tapped them.

I also had a 1964 chevy Nova w/ 250 single barrel, and was getting barely 20-21mpg on the highway
      my autocross buddy told me to find and place a weber 38 progressive 2 barrel.

I bought a book on tuning carbs, the adaptor manifold came from
      http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

it was not easy but I learned alot!
      eventually I learned about baketite insulators and heat shields as the carb was overheating,

end result was more power, and almost 24mpg.
      As I worked on bmw's and if I was to keep the car, I seriously considered dropping in a BMW 3.5 six with FI-
      fuel economy on all vehicles is always going up, and the amount of power from a standard engine is also
      Love FI, and dont really like carbs anymore- but I do understand them.

Vehicles
      1990 VW Fox, 1998 Chevy S10 Ext. Cab, 2002 Chevy Silverado
      08-06-2013 12:08 AM #56
      Well I know either you love them or hate them. I converted my 1990 Fox to a Weber 32-36 DFEV down draft carb (The carb is stock, I have not altered the Jets.) on a Redline Intake Manifold. I love my carb but I'm also running a TT 8V Hydraulic Lifter Camshaft (268 - Street/Sport), TT Light-weight Aluminum Adjustable Camshaft Sprocket 8v Blue, with an Audi 80 dual port exhaust manifold an a custom made short header and TT 2" Mandrel bent Aluminized tubing cat back exhaust system. Walker Dynomax Muffler and 12" tt Resonator. A Flowmaster High Flow 2" Catalytic Converter. A Techtonics heavy duty front motor mount for Mk1 chassis and VW Fox, Shore Hardness of 65 (Stock is Shore 45). The Fox runs great, I can spin the wheels in 1st, and bark the wheels in 2nd and 3rd. My only complaint would be the Redline base fuel pump (P/N: 99009.131) was not able to keep up with my fuel needs. 3 - 3.5 psi is recommended for this carb, but with a wilder cam, header, and free flow exhaust I'm having to run 5 psi. I using a electric fuel pump from a Chevy S10 that had TBI, it works perfect for my engines needs. With all this said, the Fox is a lot more fun to drive and has a nice exhaust note to boot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12