Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GT22 Turbo??

1. 09-17-2003 12:16 PM #1
      I was looking at Garrett's new turbo line, and I saw a GT22 turbo, that is rated for 160-280 HP and is perferct for any 1.7-2.2l displacement engine. Would this turbo work, with a standard GIAC 11 chip? I see That an ATP mani would have to be used (or similar) because ther are four studs that are used to bolt the turbo.

I know it isn't much bigger than a K04, but for simplicity sake this might be a good oem upgrade, and it is far more efficient than a K04. Whatcha think?

2. Banned
      09-17-2003 12:25 PM #2
      I would think that if you're gonna go-through the trouble of doing a TurboUpgrade,
      I would use a GT28r(ATP Stg2/APRStg3) style Turbo.
      if you properly Fuel it and Tune it, You will have around 300WHP!
      (Assuming that you run at higher boost levels than APRStg3)
      This way, You'll get a BIG Power improvement in the HigherRevs while still keeping
      good power in the lower/midrange.
      I think the GT28r is the best Turbo upgrade for a DailyDriver...
      of course, I could be full of Poop!

Modified by exS4 at 5:27 PM 9-17-2003

3. 09-17-2003 12:33 PM #3
      If you want a ton of torque but not so much in the top end, it's great. I still wonder how it would compare with a k04. Why don't you buy it and see if it fits?

Speedy G

4. 09-17-2003 01:03 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by exS4 »
      I would think that if you're gonna go-through the trouble of doing a TurboUpgrade,
      I would use a GT28r(ATP Stg2/APRStg3) style Turbo.
      if you properly Fuel it and Tune it, You will have around 300WHP!
      (Assuming that you run at higher boost levels than APRStg3)
      This way, You'll get a BIG Power improvement in the HigherRevs while still keeping
      good power in the lower/midrange.
      I think the GT28r is the best Turbo upgrade for a DailyDriver...
      of course, I could be full of Poop!

Modified by exS4 at 5:27 PM 9-17-2003

I'm looking at this turbo to be used as a replacement when my K03sport dies. IF I were interested in a major upgrade, I would go with a stage 3 or similar. Ideally I would like to pop this on and go.

5. 09-17-2003 01:05 PM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Speedy G »
      If you want a ton of torque but not so much in the top end, it's great. I still wonder how it would compare with a k04. Why don't you buy it and see if it fits?

Speedy G

Actaully that is what I'd prefer. I dont 1/4 this car ever, and don't plan to. If anything I'd autox it, and the torque would be needed.

Do you know what the dimensions are on the ATP exhaust manifold, where it connects to the turbo. The dimensions for the turbo are listed on the Garrett sheet.

Vehicles
      02 TT Quattro gt3076r, 92 Corrado, 93 Corrado, 11 Jetta TDI, 07 Tundra
      09-17-2003 01:18 PM #6
      I've got a gt28r for sale in the classifieds!!!!!!!

7. 09-17-2003 01:20 PM #7
      The GT28 and GT22 use a T25 flange, the ATP manifold uses a T3 flange. Tehy are the same style, but the T3 is a larger flange.

I would nto waste my time with the GT22, the GT28 spools up almost as fast as stock and with my rig right now is putting out 280ft'lbs to the wheels, about a KO4, and 245 hp at the wheels, alot more then a KO4

8. 09-17-2003 01:25 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by chris86vw »
      The GT28 and GT22 use a T25 flange, the ATP manifold uses a T3 flange. Tehy are the same style, but the T3 is a larger flange.

I would nto waste my time with the GT22, the GT28 spools up almost as fast as stock and with my rig right now is putting out 280ft'lbs to the wheels, about a KO4, and 245 hp at the wheels, alot more then a KO4

Really?
      What is your rig? The problem that I have to work around is the wife. If the turbo blows, I can fudge a replacement GT28 and manifold, but no way I would convincer her I need a new MAF, injectors, programming, and fuel pump for starters.

9. 09-17-2003 01:37 PM #9
      I dont think you would need injectors or a maf if you stick to your chip boost levels. FWIW I dont think it would be any more work to bolt on a 22 than a 28. I also think ATP makes an adapter so you dont need the entire manifold but you will need a new DP and then you will need someone to weld up your CAT to the DP.

GT28R
      Exhaust manifold adapter (GT to KO3/3 OEM exhaust)
      Intake adapters (OEM TIP to turbo and Turbo to IC pipe)
      DP
      Various fittings and yada yada.........just dont let your wife find out you can get a used KO3S for $300.

10. 09-17-2003 01:55 PM #10
      With the K03 adapter to fit the GT28, will that bring the dp to close to the firewall, or anything else that it may cause it to rub? I have been planning on a 2.5" or 3" GHL T-back for some time now (wife actually said I should get it ). I'd hate to have such a nice piece rattle because my little adapter.

11. 09-17-2003 02:05 PM #11
      Quote, originally posted by 3wheelinWolf »

Really?
      What is your rig? The problem that I have to work around is the wife. If the turbo blows, I can fudge a replacement GT28 and manifold, but no way I would convincer her I need a new MAF, injectors, programming, and fuel pump for starters.

The GT28 doesnt need a manifold, it just needs the atp adapter. A Manifold would be more obvios then injectors and a maf anyway.

The ATP kit will put down like 225 to the wheels on all stock fueling if you get their chip, its a great deal for the price. and you can build slowly off that

12. 09-17-2003 02:07 PM #12
      With the K03 adapter to fit the GT28, will that bring the dp to close to the firewall, or anything else that it may cause it to rub? I have been planning on a 2.5" or 3" GHL T-back for some time now (wife actually said I should get it ). I'd hate to have such a nice piece rattle because my little adapter.

the adapter wont' allow you to use the stock style DP. You would need to get the DP with the ATP kit, you can then just sell whatever DP you bought, but you would have to have it made to fit if you ahd a full turbo back exhuast. But this would be true with any manifold turbo setup, other then the APR stage III right now.

13. Banned
      09-17-2003 02:19 PM #13
      PES has a kit for Passats/A4's that uses an adapter to be able to use stock style DownPipe but I don't know if that adapter can be bought separately.

14. 09-17-2003 02:46 PM #14
      PES has a kit for Passats/A4's that uses an adapter to be able to use stock style DownPipe but I don't know if that adapter can be bought separately.

The turbo, location, and flange are 100% different between an A4/passt and a golf jetta GTI. The cat is also directly after the turbo on the passat/A4 I believe there kit has an adapter to fit th stock cat which then goes to the downpipe. eitheway it wont' work for this.

Vehicles
      | 01 1.8t | 09 2.0T |
      09-17-2003 02:48 PM #15

Not going to work with the transverse 1.8T

check out this interesting hybrid

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1020753

16. 09-17-2003 03:12 PM #16
      Thanks for all the info. Which ATP kit are you referring to btw? Also, what is the functional difference between their software, and GIAC chips, if nothing else is changed (i.e. fuel pump, injectors)?

I'm looking at their site now, and it looks simplistic, and the DP doesn't appear to have a CAT.

I guess I was looking for something relatively plug and play, with the stuff I already have. If a GT22 is upwards $700 (guessing), and can be substituted (more or less) for a K03s, then this seems like the obvious choice to me. Even after buying the mani adapter, and pay out for some custom exhaust work, it will be about $1000 bucks less than the Stg 2.

17. 09-17-2003 03:40 PM #17
      Thanks for all the info. Which ATP kit are you referring to btw? Also, what is the functional difference between their software, and GIAC chips, if nothing else is changed (i.e. fuel pump, injectors)?

I'm looking at their site now, and it looks simplistic, and the DP doesn't appear to have a CAT.

I guess I was looking for something relatively plug and play, with the stuff I already have. If a GT22 is upwards $700 (guessing), and can be substituted (more or less) for a K03s, then this seems like the obvious choice to me. Even after buying the mani adapter, and pay out for some custom exhaust work, it will be about $1000 bucks less than the Stg 2.

The stage II is about 2K with software and every other piece you would need to make it work.

If you got the GT22, you woud have to buy the adapter, then make the coolant lines, oil ines, downpipe, inlet pipe, outlet pipe, still get software and figure out fueling. The kit for 2K gets you everything you need and will make more power.

18. 09-17-2003 03:49 PM #18

OK I guess that would makes the most sense. I'm just so comfortable with the reliability of my GIAC chip, and minor abuse to the drive-train. A significant increase in HP/TQ kinda worries me, in regard to long-term reliability and cost of ownership.

19. 09-17-2003 04:02 PM #19

OK I guess that would makes the most sense. I'm just so comfortable with the reliability of my GIAC chip, and minor abuse to the drive-train. A significant increase in HP/TQ kinda worries me, in regard to long-term reliability and cost of ownership.

Then use your GIAC chip and play with the FPR that comes with it. But you will not save any money doing it on your own since you essentially will be building the same kit, it should work find with GIAC software, that is what I am using as are a few others, but those using ATP sofware are having no problems either.

As for reliablitly, other then the stuff you are changing it should nto be a problem its well within the power levels that many of us have been running around beating our cars to death with for years.

20. 09-17-2003 04:07 PM #20
      Gracias...

Its mean a little more coming from someone who has demonstrated a solid understanding of this engine.

Later.