Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: noisy lifters!

1. 09-19-2003 02:32 PM #1
      I recently (about 2 weeks ago) got a tuneup done (oil,plugs,filters,fluids), and ever since then, especially first thing in the morning, my lifters have been ticking really loud. They used to occasionally tick before, but never this much or this loud. I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem, or knows what might be causing this, and what I could do to get rid of it?

thanks

2. 09-19-2003 02:45 PM #2
      yah i get the same prob. on 2.0's
      you are prob. not getting enough oil

3. 09-19-2003 02:59 PM #3
      I dont think its that, I just got an oil change and even before that the oil was still at a reasonable level.

Woudl the weight of the oil maybe make a diffrence?

4. 09-19-2003 06:23 PM #4
      anybody?

Vehicles
      13 JSW TDI, 04 Saab 9-5 Arc SC, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      09-19-2003 06:32 PM #5
      could be that there is not enough oil in the car, even if you just got an oil change, that doesnt nec mean enough was added back in... i would check that first.

it could also be the weight of the oil. a thinner oil may allow more noise out of the lifters and engine overall when compared to a heavier oil...

this is all assumption of course.

my car made lifter noise all the time, when i installed my new cam i got new lifters. no more noise.

epitome
      "Not everything you eat has to, or should, taste really f*cking awesome. Sometimes you need to eat 'boring' food to stay healthy.

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      05 Tin Can
      09-19-2003 07:31 PM #6
      The amount of oil is not an issue here, its a matter of your lifters are beginning to get "clogged" with oil deposits....You have 3 options to choose from to help quiet them down a bit...

Option #1:

Dissassmble your entire head, remove the lifters and throughly clean the holes in them free of any deposits, reinstall in reverse order. This method is not to time friendly, and if you don't have any mechanical experience, could get a little pricey depending on the shop charges. But since the head is apart might as well replace the lifters any who? -----> Option #2.

Option #3:

A method used by me when I had my 87 Jetta with noisy lifters... Run ATF fluid in place of the oil on idle for 10-20 min.
      This may sound like a horrific thing for your engine, but its not...Just read on....

First drain all the oil in the car and either save if it is still good, or fresh. Then, add ATF fluid, yes Automatic Transmission Fluid, where the oil normally goes, right into the engine...All 4.2 quarts full, just like you were changing the oil. Run the car AT AN IDLE for 10-20 min depending on how noisy the lifters are. It is IMPERATIVE that you don't drive it with the ATF fluid in, it doesn't lubricate quite as well as oil.

Drain the ATF fluid out after it has idled for a bit, and replace with your oil. Voila! Your lifters should have quieted down to nothing!

The ATF fluid acts as a super detergent for the lifters and cleans everything out of there, with no harm to the motor at an idle, perfectly fine. My 87 Jetta had 204,000 miles on when I did this, and to this day, the motor is still running with over 260,000 miles on it.

So try that out, it should work. (sorry for being so long!)

Turn down for what?

7. 09-19-2003 08:45 PM #7

thats a good post, i'll remember that if i ever get a free moment...i cant even remember the last time i took a dump in my own toliet

Vehicles
      '73 Schwinn Continental
      09-19-2003 09:54 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by EastCoast04 »

thats a good post, i'll remember that if i ever get a free moment...i cant even remember the last time i took a dump in my own toliet

9. 09-19-2003 11:00 PM #9
      will this work on a vr6 without destroying it??

10. Member
      Vehicles
      MK1 GTI, '95 Golf 2.0T
      09-20-2003 12:01 AM #10
      Change to a thicker weight oil on your next oil change.

Vehicles
      2014 GLI 30th, 1977 TA W72
      09-20-2003 12:34 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by EastCoast04 »
      i cant even remember the last time i took a dump in my own toliet

Jason • Now 2.0T / 400 • Then 2.0T / 1.8T / 2.0
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Vehicles
      '73 Schwinn Continental
      09-20-2003 12:59 AM #12
      Quote, originally posted by JettaGLS »

HAHA, lol.

Vehicles
      2014 WRX Limited
      09-20-2003 01:00 AM #13
      is that sound only at an idle? in nuetral?

14. 09-20-2003 01:10 AM #14
      So basically its like putting synthetic oil... cause thats what syn oil does.. its alot less thick... so it cleans out your crap everywhere.... but then... on a engine that has alot of miles on it.. its not recommended to change to synthetic because your car will burn and puff oil after cause it cleaned all the passage ways that were clogged before no???

15. 09-20-2003 02:36 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by HellyHans »
      So basically its like putting synthetic oil... cause thats what syn oil does.. its alot less thick... so it cleans out your crap everywhere.... but then... on a engine that has alot of miles on it.. its not recommended to change to synthetic because your car will burn and puff oil after cause it cleaned all the passage ways that were clogged before no???

not exactly. it will leak more because it can get through tightrer spaces and cracks that conventional oil cant

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2008.5 UG Mk5 Golf
      09-20-2003 02:50 AM #16
      the ATF thing is what guys with rotary engines (ie. rx7) do to clean ***** out, it works for them too but makes a hell of alot of smoke!

i forgot the whole reason why they had to run ATF though, it was to clean something but i forget what i just know that it burns deposits off and make da kine mo betta!

wait im not in the hawaii forum, let me put that in english.

it cleans and cleanses with tiny scrubbing bubbles to remove all sort of unorthodox agents and deposits. yay.

17. 09-20-2003 02:58 AM #17
      ok , thanks for the tips, ill try some of those out.

And ya, I think the oil got changed to a less thick oil, so that could be contributing to it.

18. 09-20-2003 03:00 AM #18
      Quote, originally posted by kryptonik »
      is that sound only at an idle? in nuetral?

nope, whenever the engines running, gets louder at higher rpm's

19. 09-20-2003 03:02 AM #19
      Quote, originally posted by avw4me »
      Change to a thicker weight oil on your next oil change.

I was told it wouldnt be good to do that JUST to quieten the lifters. Sort of like avoiding the problem. Plus I live in the "frozen north" , and with winter coming up, thicker oil doesnt lubricate as well in the cold, right?