Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Best Tires for 4motion Passat GLX

1. 09-22-2003 12:38 PM #1
      My sister needs new tires to replace the stock Continentals on her 2000 Passat. She lives in DC and gets anywhere from a few inches to a foot of snow each year. She's got the 4motion thing and was wondering if Bridgestone RE950's would work better than average due to the 4motion. I really like that tire. My wife has them on her Jetta and I have a friend with them on his Miata. Everyone seems to like this tire. However, I keep reading bad reviews at Tirerack about poor snow handling, rough ride, etc....

Anyway, the other option is the Dunlop Sport A2's. However, they also receive a lot of negative reviews from anyone that's had them over a year.

The most important things to her are:
      Safety (good handling wet and dry)
      OK snow handling
      quiet ride

The only issue I have is the snow handling. Does anyone have the 4motion with these tires? Is the car rendered useless with RE950's?

Thanks for any help!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 CC Executive VR6 4Motion
      09-22-2003 12:57 PM #2
      If your sister is not trying to autocross the car every day, and wants a tire with a still-smooth ride while retaining good handling characteristics, I wouldn't get her into a uni-directional high-performance tire.

You should seriously consider a touring tire. These tires are multidirectional, but still have a high degree of handling capability. They also handle rain and snow much better than a performance unidirectional. They can be speed rated up to Y (186MPH), and are often the tires found on high-performance German touring sedans. They also usually have tread life which will go to the 40,000 + mile range, which will likely be twice that of a high-performance tire.

I would recommend the Bridgestone Turanza LS. I recently replaced my worn Falken FZ451s with these tires, and am very pleased.

I am a hard driver, but I also use the car for commuting to work. I found the Falkens (they were high-performance z-rated unidirectionals) to have amazing dry grip and very admirable wet grip. However, the downsides were that they rode fairly harsh, were extremely noisy, and wore down very quickly.

I decided to try a touring tire, figuring the high-speed stability was still very imortant, the smoother ride and much quieter tire would make longer trips and my commute much nicer, and the extended tire life would be a nice perk too. I wanted to ensure I wasn't compromising handling too much, as I still like to drift here and there through sweepers, and will still throw the car into hard turns at high speed...so the tire had to be relatively performance-oriented. And I also wanted a better all-weather tire, since my high-performance summer tires weren't as happy in North Carolina last winter despite the ESP and 4motion keeping me on the road in the snow.

The Turanza LS was receiving excellent reviews on TireRack, and I had driven a Mercedes and a BMW with some of the competitors' touring tires and admired the smoothness and quietness while still delivering solid performance.

I have had the tires for a week and a half now, and the first immediate improvement is the complete elimination of impact harshness and bump-steer. Also, the noise is GONE; these tires are basically silent. The wet traction seems to be basically identical to the high-performance summer Falkens. High speed still feels completely stable and responsive. Handling overall is probably 92% of what it was...still excellent, very catchable, and the tires do not protest when pushed. I notice a slightly lower limit before traction loss, but these limits are far beyond your typical driver (high speed through an arching exit ramp caused the car to drift very controllably through the entire length of the ramp, whereas before it would have stepped the rear out a few times while otherwise sticking).

Overall, the tires are barely a notch below the capabilities of the high performance tires, while adding smoothness, quietness, and all-weather tractability far beyond.

Check them out on tire rack for reviews and ratings...Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z. Highly recommended for anything less than a track car!

_____
      Justin

3. 09-22-2003 01:55 PM #3
      Zdawg, thanks for the quick and excellent response. I've owned a pair of Turanza's but, the ER30's and they were on a Miata.... wrong tire for that car.
      I think the LS sounds like the right tire for the Passat, though... THANKS again!

Modified by CarlM2 at 7:33 PM 9-22-2003

4. 09-22-2003 02:51 PM #4
      If you're looking for a good all season tire, I would also recommend:

Nokian WR

Vredestein QUATRAC 2

5. 09-23-2003 10:34 AM #5
      We put the continential extreme contact all season high performance tires on our 4 motion variant. They are awesome in the wet, snow and dry. We got them from tirerack.com for about $80 per tire and had price club install them at $9 per tire. Check out the reviews on this tire at tirerack and check out the price. Greg

Vehicles
      2000 Passat 1.8t 5spd
      09-23-2003 11:32 AM #6
      After this mornings hellish commute in this monsoon, I am having second thoughts about the Bridgestone RE950's. This is coming upon the end of my first summer with these tires and they are getting scary in the rain. I drove the hell out of the OEM Michelins until they would hydroplane at 40mph. These Bridgestones are wearing much faster than I thought. I average on low side 3000 a month. They were on last Oct-Nov (6000 miles) and again April till now (15000 miles), thats only 21000 miles on this set. Front and rear are worn evenly. THose with the RE950's, have you noticed any change? They are getting louder (even louder than snows). The dry road handling is still terrific, but wet weather leaves a bit to be desired. I will have to see how long I can drive these before they get too scary.
      2000 Passat 1.8t 5spd. Black/Black Leather. Original owner, purchased 12/09
      365,000 miles as of 4/1/2013

7. 09-24-2003 08:32 AM #7
      assuming she has 16" wheels, i would recommend Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 215/55/16 (slightly larger than stock, but if you consider that VW puts 225/50/17's on sporty Jettas). the tires cost about $170+ at tirerack (very expensive) but i think it has that "extra" grip and stopping ability in good and bad road conditions. then again i wud also recommend the RE950 (about $100+) but i thought that at the extreme the Michelins had that extra "edge". just my 2cents.

8. 09-24-2003 10:02 AM #8
      I appreciate the responses and based on my sister's driving needs, the Turanza has been ordered. The 'out the door' price is about $580 with an alignment at Sears. I have a good friend that does the alignments at Sears so, I have faith in him and whoever he recommends to do the tire work. Otherwise, I would NEVER endorse going to Sears... They price matched Tirerack's price without adding shipping so, that was good.

I never thought I'd buy a 'Turdanza' after having them on my Miata but, they're the wrong tire for a Miata. I think they're the right tire for the Passat, though.

I considered the Continentals mentioned but, Sears couldn't get them. Otherwise, I think that would've been an excellent choice as well.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S is too expensive and more performance-related than my sister needs. As is the RE950.

Speaking of the RE950, my wife's Jetta has about 10,k miles on them and she's still extremely pleased with wet and dry performance. Also, the noise level is still low but, the tread sounds like it's wearing unevenly. I don't know how to describe the sound other than an oscillating buzz. I can only hear it when the windows are down. If that's the case, I'll blame my friend's alignment before I'd blame the tire.

9. 09-24-2003 02:55 PM #9
      Consider the BF Goodrich Touring T/A VR4. I had the HR4's on my last car and they were excellent in the snow and slush.

BF Goodrich came out with a new tire called Traction T/A which is a directional All-Season High Performance tire