Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: tell me about the suzuki samurai

Vehicles
      1966 Beetle, 1989 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2011 JSW
      10-29-2003 10:42 PM #1
      please. everything that there is to know about buying a used one: what to watch out for, how much a bone stock one goes for, how long the engine lasts, and the differences between the JA, JS, and JL. any help would be apreciated. TIA

Vehicles
      work van, some trailers and a rally car
      10-29-2003 11:19 PM #2
      I wouldn't mind finding out whether the TDI (or turbo diesel) VW engine fits in there?! I've heard somewhere that it does ... seen no supporting evidence of it. Can anyone provide some info?

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-29-2003 11:27 PM #3
      Doesn't Obin have one? Or was/is that a Sidekick?

4. 10-29-2003 11:41 PM #4
      don't know much except that they make awesome off-roaders done correctly.

try pirate4x4.com

actually: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum...13614

5. 10-29-2003 11:46 PM #5
      aren't they know to flip if you like......sneeze on them?

Vehicles
      2013 Ducati Diavel Cromo, 2013 BMW 135is, Manual
      10-29-2003 11:50 PM #6
      All I know is that my father, before buying his Diesel Ford tractor, was seriously considering a Samurai to plough his driveway. He even worked out a PTO for a rear-mounted flail mower.

7. 10-29-2003 11:53 PM #7
      all i know.. is that they flip over.... repeatedly.

Vehicles
      1966 Beetle, 1989 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2011 JSW
      10-29-2003 11:59 PM #8

10-30-2003 01:04 AM #9
      Apparently the turbo engine from the Suzuki Swift (?) GT is almost a direct drop-in... or so I hear.
      There's always money in the banana stand.

10. 10-30-2003 07:58 AM #10
      My Ex-Girlfriend had one when I met her. She was broadsided when making a left hand turn and it never rolled over. So the truck was pretty stable...much more so than the ex-girlfriend.

Great Off-Road when slightly modified. But, very noisy as a highway commuter (~75MPH Top Speed). Ok around town and for the beach.

Mechanically (Engine and Frame), very reliable and almost overbuilt. A friend of mine has an 87 with about 130k miles on it. All he has ever done as far as repairs is replace a front locking hub. Idiot tried to spin all for wheels on dry pavement by putting in 4wd Low and dropping the clutch at 6,000 RPM.

Body wise (Interior and Exterior), Cheap hose out interior, and a little thin and tinny on the outside. Interior Door panels don't seem to last long when exposed to the elements as the plastic cover peels off the cardboard when it gets damp. Exterior, So far I have never seen one rust. But, I'm in FL where the roads aren't salted.

If I had some spare money available, I'd get one for trips to the beach, camping, or just a run to the grocery store. Used Samurai can be bought for about the price of a new Moped or Scooter, and they are a lot safer, quicker and have top to keep you out of the weather.

The JA came without a top or rear seat, while the JS added a folding soft top and 2-place rear seat. The JL and JX model had some "luxury" with Tach, Stereo, better seats, etc...

I think they were sold from 1986-1993, then replaced with the Sidekick.
      You should find them used in the range of $1,400 - $2,500 US.

Hope this helps.

Sites for more info:
      http://www.izook.com/
      http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/

Modified by Y2KVR6GTI at 5:31 AM 10-30-2003

Modified by Y2KVR6GTI at 6:00 AM 10-30-2003

Vehicles
      '99 328i, '13 Volt, The Red Line
      10-30-2003 08:14 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by Y2KVR6GTI »
      But, very noisy as a highway commuter (75MPH Top Speed).

Modified by Y2KVR6GTI at 5:07 AM 10-30-2003

My roommate for the last 4 years had a Samurai, and I can tell you right now the only time he hit 75 in that beast was going down a long hill on the highway. The top speed on flat ground in his at least was 65, and you can barely hear yourself think at that speed.

The engine also ran horribly when cold, and had somewhere between not nearly enough an no power whatsoever. When it was cold he would have to sit in the driveway and rev it repeatedly, because as soon as he let off the gas pedal it would stall until the engine was warmed up. Due to the lack of power, you really have to rev it out to about 5,000 RPM with every single shift if you want to go anywhere too, its not too pleasant.

All that said, I could see how it might be fun as an off road beater or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      What if my idea is to go faster around a track than your idea?

Corvette. Less than you can afford, pal.

| The Red Line
      | 1999 BMW 328i | 2013 Chevy Volt |

12. 10-30-2003 08:15 AM #12
      Mechanically (Engine and Frame), very reliable and almost overbuilt. A friend of mine has an 87 with about 130k miles on it. All he has ever done as far as repairs is replace a front locking hub. Idiot tried to spin all for wheels on dry pavement by putting in 4wd Low and dropping the clutch at 6 grand.

6 grand on a suzuki
      just buy a new one they are like tissue

13. 10-30-2003 08:17 AM #13
      Quote, originally posted by rempel »

6 grand on a suzuki
      just buy a new one they are like tissue

Oops, meant 6,000 RPM. Edited Post.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      10-30-2003 08:42 AM #14
      I love all the roll - over hysteria that is in this thread.

I consider them the best Rover Series III 88 every (not)built.

Small, but very functional, tough off road, not much to speak of on road, just like the old Rovers, but with the added quality and reliability of a Japanese vehicle. I'm partial to the tintops.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

15. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      10-30-2003 08:45 AM #15
      Quote, originally posted by Hostile »
      Doesn't Obin have one? Or was/is that a Sidekick?

we had a Geo Tracker. that thing was awesome !!! my wife blew the engine up but still with 3 cylinders we would PASS other cars (not even kidding you)

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      '10 Prius - '05 4Runner
      10-30-2003 08:55 AM #16
      http://www.rocky-road.com/suzuki.html

You don't even have to go big. Some body mods and a bit of shackle work will get you on 31's. Lock it up and go! 'Wheelers love them because they are cheap and "pure" like a quad with a top.

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      Furthermore Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this purveyor of bleep-bloop music was in fact staging a farce.
      Ukemafia.com

Vehicles
      vaudi
      10-30-2003 08:56 AM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Sporin »
      I love all the roll - over hysteria that is in this thread.

I consider them the best Rover Series III 88 every (not)built.

Small, but very functional, tough off road, not much to speak of on road, just like the old Rovers, but with the added quality and reliability of a Japanese vehicle. I'm partial to the tintops.

Ha....tell ya what, I actually owned one of these a few years back as a second vehicle, along with my Rocco... ....

I loved it....it was a great off road vehicle and a workhorse of a little guy. I had a small 3 inch lift kit installed and modestly larger hybrid offroad tires that were decent on the street. I had, I think, an 88 JL.

It was loud on the highway, etc....but the drivability and durability of this vehicle was excellent. I kid you not, at least with the one that I owned. It was a fun reliable alternative for cheap transportation. Mine was pretty cool looking to....I had all the decals removed, etc....a nice newer soft top that I bought from sears for like $300...and was like a greyish gun metal color....hell, I even took the doors off a few times in the summer months....

I never had any issues with rollover even with the subtle lift....all in all I had very little issues with mine....I sold it after driving it daily for like 2 years....and I swear, I was driving through Philadelphia a few months ago and saw my exact Samurai still on the road.....it had to be....I had sprayed my stock wheels black so it was a little different looking....and there it was...a bit beat up but I think it was the same one....I sold that car over 10 years ago...

18. 10-30-2003 09:40 AM #18
      A buddy of mine really wants one of these. There's this old japanese TV show that we've been watching called space sherrif gaban, the main character drives one. I think they're rad.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      10-30-2003 10:14 AM #19
      A guy in college had a Samurai, we couldn't take it on the interstate since it would only get up to 40mph, and that was downhill.

Taking Route 11 from Emory, VA to Bristol to go bowling is not fun.

Vehicles
      vaudi
      10-30-2003 11:02 AM #20
      A guy in college had a Samurai, we couldn't take it on the interstate since it would only get up to 40mph, and that was downhill.

I never had any real serious issues with the power...it was what it was but it could do the job on the highway...if I recall correctly....HP was something like 66hp or so...8v Inline 4, 8 valve....I'd put it up against one of those Golf CL's....

21. 10-30-2003 11:07 AM #21

The one I drove was good for 80mph on flat ground with the pedal all the way down.

Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

Vehicles
      86 Rocco 8v, 90 Geo Tracker 1.6L 8v, G60 Corrado, 01 Audi A3 1.8tQ, 05 Yamaha R1, 06 Nissan Frontier
      10-30-2003 11:15 AM #22
      Go to ZukiWorld.com, you'll get better responces from thier forums.

Go €uro, or go home!

Hyperlink to MY CARS

Straightaways are for fast cars, Corners are for fast drivers.

23. 10-30-2003 11:20 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by TopSpeed »
      I wouldn't mind finding out whether the TDI (or turbo diesel) VW engine fits in there?! I've heard somewhere that it does ... seen no supporting evidence of it. Can anyone provide some info?

The one you're probably thinking of was featured on the cover of "4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility" Magazine some time ago. It had a 1.9L TDI dropped into it. I'm sure it required extensive mods.

The Samurai is a great little truck. My GF (now Wife) had one when I met her, a hardtop version. With the back seat out, you could carry quite a bit of stuff, and it was very capable off-road. On road, it would top out at about 80 with a stiff tail wind, and was touchy going around corners, but not too bad to drive.

If you can find one in good condition at this point, buy it. I've actually been thinking about tracking one down myself. BTW, there's a very healthy aftermarket for those little trucks.

24. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-30-2003 11:25 AM #24
      You don't even have to go big. Some body mods and a bit of shackle work will get you on 31's. Lock it up and go! 'Wheelers love them because they are cheap and "pure" like a quad with a top.

WHOA!!! have you seen the pics over there?

http://www.rocky-road.com/extreme.html

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

Vehicles
      06 Legacy GT Wagon
      10-30-2003 12:02 PM #25
      Man that's nuts!

Vehicles
      2001 BMW X5 5spd, 2010 jetta 2.5 5spd, 2004 CRF/BBR 108cc
      10-30-2003 01:39 PM #26
      i have owned 2 of these pregnant roller skates

i loved it but i crashed the first one head on into a tree

and then i bought another one and unlike all you guys raising them up i dropped the damn thing to the ground never had it roll over but i did have some good 2-wheel action around some turns

well this is going to take some getting used too........

27. 10-30-2003 02:18 PM #27
      I've seen conversion kits that allow you to fit the older 1.9 TD into it.

Vehicles
      work van, some trailers and a rally car
      10-30-2003 11:02 PM #28

29. 10-31-2003 10:29 AM #29
      Hmmm, how about a off road V6 or V8 !

Perhaps a street-strip Samurai is more your style.

Sidekicks and Trackers too...

This place sells Turn-Key cars or Kits:

http://www.suzukiconversion.com/

Modified by Y2KVR6GTI at 7:35 AM 10-31-2003

Vehicles
      03 a4 1.8t avant
      10-31-2003 01:21 PM #30
      Cool, looks like I found a tranny adaptor for my TDi lotus idea.

31. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      10-31-2003 01:23 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Old school »
      I've seen conversion kits that allow you to fit the older 1.9 TD into it.

that is what happened to our Geo Tracker. the guy bought it to put a VW engine in it .

sold the car for $100

obin

Vehicles
      '97 BMW 328i | '10 Mazda5
      05-25-2005 07:41 PM #32

niiiiiice

Vehicles
      96 Cherokee 4.0, 82 Rabbit Truck
      05-25-2005 09:35 PM #33
      Exterior, So far I have never seen one rust. But, I'm in FL where the roads aren't salted.

So far I have never seen one without rust. But, I'm in Ohio where there is more salt than snow.

Next edit by onebadbug; tomorrow at 10:13 AM.

What you get isn't always what you see.

34. 05-25-2005 09:43 PM #34
      get ready to roll over....