Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 99 Jetta TDI Threw a CEL - VAG COM Code is 16764 Glow Plug Heater Malfunction

1. 11-14-2003 04:47 PM #1
      Could somebody assist me with a part number and possibly what the factory manual says to do when getting this code? Thanks very much. This is my buddy's jetta - I have an A4 so I checked his CEL out for him.

2. 11-15-2003 12:37 AM #2
      Either the car has some bad glo-plugs or the harness the each glo-plug attaches to needs to be replaced.

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SE/Sun, 2014 Passat TDI SEL
      11-15-2003 01:24 AM #3
      Remove the harness from the glow plugs and test the resistance from tip to ground. It should be within like .2-.7 ohms ( I think..) Either way, you wil likely find three that are pretty close and one that is way out of line with the rest of them. Obviously the out of line one was the bad plug, and should be replaced. Really, you should replace all four at once to be certain that they are all of the same resistance and to avoid future problems. Also, there are two manufacturers of TDI Glow plugs, Bosch and Beru. You can't mix and match them. You must have either all Bosch or all Beru.

If all glow plugs test out with similar resistance, the harness is then next place to check. Make sure there's no corrosion on the contacts, and make sure that the connector to the car wiring harness is in good shape.

4. 01-15-2004 11:45 PM #4
      I just vagged my friend's car that had this error.

It only happened as of lately upon having extreme cold temperatures. (-40C/-40F)

Can cold temperatures cause this to happen?? Other than the CEL, the car runs perfectly fine.

5. 01-16-2004 01:55 AM #5
      Here's what the Bentley CD says ...

16764/P0380 - Glow plug monitoring, No display

Possible Causes:
      - Glow Plug Relay -J52- faulty
      - Glow plug faulty
      - Different glow plugs installed

Possible Effects:
      - No glow period
      - Engine runs roughly

Corrective Actions:
      - Check glow plug relay