Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Airbag Fault

1. 11-14-2003 06:05 PM #1
      Has anyone else experienced an airbag fault and if so was the dealer able to find the problem? Mine occured about 3 weeks ago. V8,1200 miles. Problem was found to be a connector under the drivers seat for the drivers airbag. VW instructed the dealer to clean the connector. You guessed it, two days later and the fault was back. I asked the SA if the bag would work correctly in the unfortunate case of an accident and was told that all the airbags except the drivers would work as designed and that the drivers might or might not work.
      For the past 2 weeks the SA has been trying to get an answer from VW has to how to correct this problem but has gotten no response from VW.
      I like the vehicle, have been very happy with the dealer, but I am concerned about driving the car with a fault on a major safety feature. I am also a little concerned that any company would not make correcting this problem a top priority. I am not wishing bad luck on myself but can you imagine what would happen if this car got in an accident and the airbag didn't deploy?
      So anyway, has anyone had the problem and if so what was the fix?

2. 11-14-2003 06:18 PM #2
      I heard of a Touareg airbag fault that was repaired at my local dealer. I think it was the sensor that was replaced.

3. 11-14-2003 06:22 PM #3
      Haven't heard anything in here before but I think that 2 weeks is just WAY TOO LONG to wait for an answer. Especially on something as important as the airbag. Have you called the service department to see if they actually heard anything from VW or have they told you they'll call you when they heard from VW and you just haven't got the call yet??

meat

4. 11-14-2003 08:32 PM #4
      I call or email every other day. Agree that 2 weeks is way to long. According to the SA they did get an email back from VW with instructions on how to repair. They were not clear so they emailed back to VW for clarification. VW as of yesterday has not responded back to them.
      This is my first VW, so I am a little unsure of the process but it appears that on the Touareg directions for repair must come from VW via email. Does anyone know if that is correct?
      I am giving them til Monday afternoon and them I plan on calling VW.

5. 11-14-2003 09:03 PM #5
      well for touaregs and phaetons, vw has setup a website (www.vwhub.com) for dealerships to get help "fast" when they are stumped and don't know how to solve something. They are supposed to get an answer from vwhub.com within 24-48 hours but that NEVER happens. The touareg is a new model for VW dealers and they have never seen anything as complex so they a very careful to not do anything they aren't sure of without VW's blessing. So to answer your question, yes, this is the process that plays out every time anyone takes their t-reg in for what seems like anything other than an oil change. The problem is VW isn't holding up their end of the deal in getting back to the dealerships in a timely manner.

meat

6. 11-14-2003 09:26 PM #6
      That makes sense. SA seems like a nice guy and is really trying. I think a call to VW on Monday afternoon is in order.

7. 11-16-2003 01:25 AM #7
      You might want to discuss getting a loaner with a working airbag until they fix yours. That idea might inspire faster action.

8. 11-17-2003 04:19 PM #8
      Phond dealer this AM. VW has called for the replacement of connectors for the drivers side airbag. SA is ordering a replacement airbag "just in case". Scheduled for Thursday AM. Will keep the board posted on outcome in case it happens to someone else.

9. 11-20-2003 04:41 PM #9
      1 hour to fix. 4 connectors and a plug. So far so good. Excellent service from dealer today. 2500 miles and 2 minor problems. Airbag fault and trailer lights software. Other than that no issues. My answer to the short range on the remote is not to use it. Proximity senosr has worked flawlessly. Key gets near the car and everything unlocks.

10. 01-27-2004 09:35 PM #10
      2200 miles, today had an "airbag fault." Might happenned after my wife hit a curb, not sure. Will call dealer in the morning. Wonder anyone else have this fault beside j2nh?

11. 02-02-2004 10:21 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by huyqp »
      2200 miles, today had an "airbag fault." Might happenned after my wife hit a curb, not sure. Will call dealer in the morning. Wonder anyone else have this fault beside j2nh?

Yes, at 1,900 miles my Airbag fault sensor came on, for no apparent reason. I am calling my local VW dealer to schedule a repair. I'll let the post know what happens.

12. 02-02-2004 10:51 AM #12
      Me 2.

13. 02-02-2004 04:43 PM #13
      All Airbag fault posters ...what are your VIN nos around please...like 20,000 series only? All areat arounbd 1500-2500 miles.

Cy

14. 02-05-2004 01:07 PM #14
      My Touareg has spent 4 of the past 5 weeks in the shop for just this problem. Dealership had problems figuring it out. Replaced the airbag first, 300 miles later same alert. This time they replaced the wire under the driver's seat and all has been well so far.

They are sending me a check for two months worth of payments for my trouble.

15. 02-05-2004 06:34 PM #15
      Airbag fault on Tuesday . The dealer returned the Treg Tuesday night. He said it was a bad connection under the seat.

Thursday morning (today) - airbag fault again . The service mgr., who has been very responsive and accomodative, is calling VW central. I'm bringing the Treg back in on Monday .

vin 31xxx.
      ~1600 miles.

16. 02-18-2004 01:09 AM #16
      airbag fault over the weekend. 1000 miles; vin 43xxx.
      I'll bring it in tomorrow; dealer (who has sold a ton of T-regs) says they've seen it twice so far, with different root causes.

I brought this thread back from purgatory ... all you previous posters (wait, you're not posters; are you poster people? postmen? poster children? ok, back on track with this sentence ), what have been the problems/fixes?

17. 02-19-2004 12:33 AM #17
      Same thing happened to my wife's after approx 2k miles. Dealership said was a connector under the drivers seat. The Treg's got about 3.5k on it now and the airbag light has yet to return.

04 Reflex Silver, P/A, Xenons, Conv. Pkg.

18. 02-19-2004 01:15 AM #18
      mine is still in the shop for the last 12 days while I was on vacation. Apparently the service manager decided that it needs a new airbag and awaiting part. I'm coming in tomorrow to pick up a loaner.

19. 02-19-2004 09:51 AM #19
      My dealer replaced the airbag first and then 300 miles later we were back. VW then told them to replace the wire under the driver's seat. Have about another 500 since the replacement wire and everything has been fine.

20. 02-23-2004 09:59 PM #20
      airbag update: got my T-reg back today after Boardwalk VW installed a new control module that was shipped to them overnight; they were actually very fast; they got it this morning and had the car ready for me this afternoon. it was vwhub that took some time getting back to them about what they should do (from Thursday morning until Friday aftenoon). let's see if that was it, so far so good. completely painless experience overall, service manager was efficient and curteous, and the in-house enterprise rental people who gave me a crappy loaner were nice, too.

21. 02-23-2004 10:20 PM #21
      replaced the wiring harness with a slightly longer harness. dealer said it was too taut causing the connector to slightly unseat. haven't had the problem repeat since.

22. 02-24-2004 12:48 AM #22
      Well, I got bit by this little gremlin today, and let me tell you, I am not too thrilled, as this is my first.

It happened this morning while making a turn and braking - not sure if it is a fluke or related to the turn and likewise a sensor.

I live in South Florida, called Gunther of Coconut Creek, which is where I tried to, but did not buy the car. So far the experience was good - they scheduled an appointment for the afternoon and set me up with a loaner.

While there, they are going to do the remote TSB.

Admittedly, I am a little nervous - crossing the fingers they get it right and don't screw anything up in the process!

Car has 2350 miles, VIN 36xxx.

-BD

-----------
      04 T-reg, V8, Campanella White, Anthracite interior, Air suspy, Boosted radio I, Inert gas headlights.

Modified by BrunDog at 4:52 AM 2-24-2004

Modified by BrunDog at 4:53 AM 2-24-2004

23. 02-24-2004 01:04 AM #23
      Quote, originally posted by BrunDog »
      Well, I got bit by this little gremlin today, and let me tell you, I am not too thrilled, as this is my first.

Par for the course. Welcome to the club. Let's hope they can fix it for you quickly.
      Now that I, too, have been bitten by one of those, I feel safe saying that I knew full well when I purchased this vehicle that this stuff will happen -- and you did, too.
      Just hope we don't get one of the big mechanical problems or one of the many possible Dead Battery gremlins. Those seem to be the worst.

24. 02-24-2004 03:25 AM #24
      Its been seven days since the airbag fault "yellow warning" landed our t-reg in the shop...By day two our buddies at vw service informed us they have identified our problem and solution. Unfortunately, they tell us our solution is in Germany in the form of a back ordered sensor. Furthermore, once it’s installed the t-reg will need to be sent out to get the driver seat re-upholstered….

Upon hearing this we tried to get the t-reg back for this part transport period but were told we couldn’t have it. It’s an “active safety” fault so they will not release the vehicle because of liability concerns. After extensive negotiations they agreed to provide $50 a day for a rental car from Enterprise. Of course they are expecting me to pay for it and bill them back for reimbursement In case you are wondering, $50 a day gets you a huge Chevy Tahoe that won’t fit in your garage (After two days we have traded it in for a Nissan Murano).

So to recap the first seven days… the t-reg is under siege, I have an interesting rental car that I have to pay for, I have un-interesting car payment I have to pay for…there dosen't seem to be an end in sight….

25. 02-24-2004 09:51 AM #25
      sciencegeek:

Yeah, you're right, I did know it before purchasing...

nicholi57:

WTF? Seat re-upholstered? Are they mad? I better not hear that crap from my service guys here - there will be some serious wrath if so. Sounds to me like they frigged something up - this should not be part of the service process.

-BD

26. 02-24-2004 12:45 PM #26
      I guess this thread was revived just in time. I got in my Touareg to come to work this morning, and I got it - AIRBAG FAULT!

I have just over 2000 mi on my V6, VIN 268xx. Seems to fit the pattern described above (1/29 - 2/2, by huygp, bretts, jc4511, and cybulman). Thought (was hoping) it might be a one time hiccup, but turned off and restarted a couple of times, same error.

I'll be calling the dealer in a bit to set up an appointment. I'll let you all know how it goes. From this thread, here's what I glean to be the possibilities:
      Loose connection (doesn't appear to fix it for good);
      Too short wiring harness (worked for some);
      Control Module (seems to be back-ordered).

This is my first real problem with the TReg, and will be my first service experience in this car. I've been with my dealer for several years, and several other VW's, and they are usually pretty good, so I'm cautiously optimistic (but still have my fingers crossed!).

Modified by 4x4s at 11:48 AM 2-24-2004

27. 02-24-2004 12:49 PM #27
      fourth possibility: a faulty airbag unit (an airbag itself, not the controller)

28. 02-24-2004 12:51 PM #28
      nicholi, which dealer are you using? I agree with brundog about how they mucked something up. I'd demand to see what they did. Ask them to show you. Also ask them to show you all the service records. Good luck.

29. 02-24-2004 12:53 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by sciencegeek »
      fourth possibility: a faulty airbag unit (an airbag itself, not the controller)

Yep, right, I forgot that one. Thanks..

30. 02-24-2004 01:09 PM #30
      Okay, first quick update. Called the service department, and they said this is a new one for them. So I explained that I did some research and told him the four things it looks like it might be. The service rep seemed genuinely interested in what I found, and scheduled me for an appt. next Tuesday. I asked if they could do some research on thier end, in case they had to order parts. He said they could certainly look, but wouldn't know much until they hooked it up to the computer and looked for fault codes. So, I offered to swing by so they could do that today, and be more prepared for next Tues. I'll be going by in just over an hour from now, after the Touareg tech get's back from lunch (my dealer is only 5 minutes away from my office, so that's handy). He also said they could set me up in another car, in case it might be more than a day - didn't get the specifics on what yet, but I'll probe that when I go at 1:30.

I know it was just a phone call so far, but they are saying the right things. - So far, so good.... more this afternoon.

31. 02-24-2004 03:44 PM #31
      Afternoon update:

Took the TReg over for the Service Manager and Touareg tech to check the fault codes. They found code 01520. SM described to me that this code indicates an intermittent fault in the drivers side airbag. They checked the connector and the wiring harness, and said that my TReg benefitted from the running production change - the harness is plenty long so as not to cause undue stress. The procedure with code 01520 calls for a 'guided diagnostic procedure' - according the the SM, this can take anywhere from 2-4hrs (or longer), and may involve several back and forths with VWoA experts. Only after this procedure will they know which parts to order, if any.

So, I'm set up for a Tuesday appointment, and will be provided with an Enterprise rental (not sure what - hopefully not a POS!). SM indicated that it is quite possible that everything will be done Tuesday, but thought arranging the rental would be best, just in case. Enterprise sends a rep to the dealer, and they take care of everything there.

While there, I checked on my order of an ashtray/smokers kit. I had asked my salesman to order this when I bought the TReg in December. The base V6 does NOT come equipped with an ashtray, instead there is an open bin where it would be. And apparently, VW didn't anticipate anyone wanting one, because this doesn't look like a typical accessory to order. They didn't have any record of my order (but maybe the sales guy didn't tell them who it was for?). They ordered the parts, as if it was a replacement for a TReg equipped with one. It will be interesting to see if it all goes in okay.

As I was waiting, both the Sales Manager and the General Manager greeted me by name, and said if there was anything I needed to make things go smoothly, to let them know. (I didn't push to get the Phaeton as a loaner, I think I'll save that for something more serious! ) They and the Service Manager were very friendly, and accomodating.

So at this stage, still so far, so good. More later...

32. 02-24-2004 09:04 PM #32
      Thought I'd hit you guys with an update...

Note that I dropped off my vehicle yesterday at 2:00pm, a scheduled time that they gave me which was three hours after I called, which was 30 seconds after the fault displayed.

Called today at 6:00 pm for a status and guess what? They had not even looked at the vehicle yet.

So that explained why I was able to get an appointment so quickly - they weren't going to actually WORK on the car just yet.

Anyway, while I am disappointed, at least I have a ride (Jetta) and I don't have to be concerned with vehicle safety (if you assume the Jetta is as safe as the Touareg, and with the 2000 lb weight difference, you can't).

Damn, I hope this is fixed easily without f*cking up someting else in the car... I really do hate being a guinea pig!

-BD

Modified by BrunDog at 1:05 AM 2-25-2004

33. 02-25-2004 10:43 PM #33
      It's me again, time for another update.

Nothing.

Well, that's it. Called again today. SM said that they had to order the harness under the seat, should be in in another day or two. We'll see.

-BD

34. 02-26-2004 12:48 AM #34
      well I bought the treg back to the dealer on 1/29 with the airbag fault, they reset the fault, special order "side airbag" part #7L0880239-D on 1/30. I took the car home, two days later the light came back on. Dropped the car off at the dealer on 2/6 before going off on vacation. Came back on 2/16, part not yet arrived, went to pick up a loaner, offerred a jetta. I went to speak to the sales manager, asked for a touareg, was then given a V8 with 19" wheel, look like an executive vehicle with less then 1K mile on it but has a big rear headrest, so must be old.

Anyway, picked up my own car today, they replaced the side airbag, and replaced the carpet trim at the base of the driver seat which was also special ordered at the same time as the airbag. Thought about asking for the remote TSB fix, but worry that they might screw it up. Will try to live with the short range remote for awhile longer. Will keep ya'll update if the airbag ghost reappear.

Glad to have it fixed, glad to put miles on their v8 instead of mine

Modified by huyqp at 11:55 AM 2-26-2004

35. 02-26-2004 10:08 AM #35
      It is clear to me that there is a consistent problem occuring.

What worries me is the inconsistent fixes the dealers are trying.

Since many of these fixes are not working (the problems repeat), this obviously means that they really don't know where the problem is arising from. Nice to be the beta testers, isn't it?

-BD

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast