Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY - Removing and cleaning a MKIV throttle body (throttle valve control module)

1. 11-19-2003 09:53 AM #26
      Quote, originally posted by CapeGLS »
      That is a great write-up.. this should def go into the sticky

2. 11-19-2003 11:26 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by Jenkins »
      I wish I could follow, but I believe my engine is not DBW, but drive by cable (i.e. not electronic sensor but cabling .. ) .. any help in this aspect?

Cleaning a DBC throttle body should be slightly easier than the DBW TB. Of course, the removal procedure will be slightly different - you'll need to figure how to disconnect the cable from the TB. Cleaning it should be much easier though since you can physically move the throttle valve without damaging it (it's controlled by the cable and a return spring, not a stepper motor). You won't need to use the thin sheets of paper to remove the deposits between the edge of the throttle valve and the TB wall. You can just move the throttle valve out of the way and have free access to these deposits.
      From what I know, some/all 2.0 cars with the AEG engine have DBC TBs. All others should have DBW TBs. This is in the U.S. however. I'm not sure about elsewhere in the world.
      Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

3. 11-19-2003 11:29 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by gorilla800lbs »
      A question: what are the service intervals (mileage-wise) that you'd recommend for TB to be cleaned at?

I'm not sure if there are any official recommendations, but I did give some suggestions in one of my posts above.

4. 11-19-2003 11:32 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by anthony_g »
      awseome, thx. Why do you have to disconnect the battery?

For safety reasons (for you and the car's electronics), you should always disconnect the negative battery cable before doing ANYTHING on your car that requires disconnecting electrical contacts, installing stereos, working on airbags, etc. The last thing you want is a good ground connection to complete any electrical circuits. By disconnecting the battery, you help insure that you or your car's parts don't accidentally get zapped while you're working.

5. 11-19-2003 12:00 PM #30
      I just added the results from adaptations I did just prior to and just after the cleaning to see what effect it had in Part III. These results show that the cleaning actually did have a measurable effect (at least a to VAG-COM).

6. 11-19-2003 05:13 PM #31
      Bump for the after work crowd.

7. 11-19-2003 05:59 PM #32
      Schweet!! Great job!!

8. 11-19-2003 09:24 PM #33
      NIIICE writeup.
      from your pics, my original TB was the same as yours- My replacement TB was from a 2000 Jetta VR6, but the coolant run under the TB before exiting below the electronics. I guess they changed the part around alot from year to year, with minor design changes to the TB body casting itself. Oh, yeah,

9. 11-19-2003 09:37 PM #34
      I wonder why there have been changes in the design. Weird.

10. 11-20-2003 10:50 AM #35
      Bump.

11. 11-20-2003 11:04 AM #36
      Is this thing in the Mk4 DIY yet?

12. 11-20-2003 11:07 AM #37
      Yep. Under the VR6 section. EPilot usually posts that it's been put in, but didn't this time.

13. 11-20-2003 11:30 PM #38
      I have DBC and the idle isn't smooth as before, I feel the TB opening and closing just before stopping on red lights. I'll try this TB cleaning tomorrow.
      I read you didn't suggest carb cleaner as varnish and dirt remover, why do you think this could damage the TB?, maybe just for the DBW....

14. 11-20-2003 11:38 PM #39
      I did a lot of research before doing the TB cleaning and read that some carb cleaners can be overly harsh - this is so the deposits can be removed without any scrubbing. Remember, most people don't remove the TB to clean it - they just spray the cleaner into the TB with the engine running. I'd recommend that you use something less harsh and do a little bit of light scrubbing instead since recent TBs have lots of delicate electronics and sensors (and in the case of the DBW TBs, high-precision motors) and the harsh cleaners might damage the seals that protect them. I specifically looked for a cleaner that was safe for sensors and seals. Some general carb/intake/TB cleaners will fit this bill, but many won't. Most TB-specific cleaners will though. I originally bought a can of Valvoline SynPower carb/intake/TB cleaner, but was worried about it damaging the seals and exchanged it for the CRC stuff I took a pic of in my DIY.
      The TB is very expensive, so I figured the gentler the solvent the better.

15. 11-21-2003 11:41 PM #40
      Hey VgRt6!!!
      I was having problems with some kind of rough idle on my drive by cable GTi sometimes que engine wanted to stall and wasn't smooth at all. The problem was so weird for this car which has no more than 12,500 miles.
      drive by cable

I followed VgRt6 advise and decided to take a look at my TB, so tonight I took it out and this is what We found:

I bought a Carb Cleaner for like 3 bucks and with a help of a friend, sprayed it all over the butterfly and inner walls.

After empty half of the can on the inside of the TB, started with the Q-tips like advised on the top of the thread:

Cleaned with a soft cloth:

This is how it looked after the cleaning process:

Bright and neat as silver!!!!!

Then We bolted it back and started the car.

First impression:
      The car had a very high idle like 1200rpms and staying there, stabilizing slowly at 900rpms, but no diping of the rpm needle for the first time in more than a month , took a test drive and the idle was the same always high, so I make a TBA with my HEX-COM and made a few runs again, what do you think???
      BRAND NEW CAR IDLE AGAIN
      Stabilizing at 840
      Thanks a lot VgRt6 for your write up, it really helped me....

Modified by 27psiBoom at 4:51 AM 11-22-2003

16. 11-22-2003 12:02 AM #41
      Glad it worked out for you ... and nice pics.
      Is the oily mess on the cardboard under the TB in your 5th picture what came out of your TB or is it an oil spill? If it came out of the TB, then that seems like an awful lot for only 12.5k miles. A lot less than that came out of my TB with more than 10x your mileage. If it was from the TB, you might want to figure out why you're getting so much oil coming through your PCV valve (most likely source).

17. 11-22-2003 12:19 AM #42
      Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
      Glad it worked out for you ... and nice pics.
      Is the oily mess on the cardboard under the TB in your 5th picture what came out of your TB or is it an oil spill? If it came out of the TB, then that seems like an awful lot for only 12.5k miles. A lot less than that came out of my TB with more than 10x your mileage. If it was from the TB, you might want to figure out why you're getting so much oil coming through your PCV valve (most likely source).

That's the carb cleaner mixed with the dirt inside the TB dripping on the cardboard, looks like Indian ink... huh??

18. 11-22-2003 09:34 AM #43
      that was a sweet friggin writeup.... [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] to you for taking the time to pause and take pictures while doing this and then putting together such a thorough writeup.....
      it's posts like this that make this board such a great resource......

19. 11-22-2003 12:13 PM #44
      It does look like India ink. That's why I asked if it was all from the TB.
      Did you look inside your intake hose or the PCV hose? If there's that much junk in your TB, then there has to be a ton of oil in your PCV. It's normal to have a little oil in the PCV hose, but a lot of oil usually indicates that there's possibly a problem somewhere else.

20. 11-22-2003 03:41 PM #45
      Nice pics!. Next time you'll want to wear some rubber gloves so that stuff does not dry out your skin!
      -T99inFL-
      1999 Jetta VR6...GIAC...gone...
      2003 Jetta 1.8T...GIAC...gone...
      2006 Jetta TDI, Package2, Malone Stage 2
      2010 Audi A4 Quattro, Premium Plus

21. 11-22-2003 04:46 PM #46
      If there's a lot of oil in the intake hose comming from the PCV valve maybe I could have a problem with the PCV system but, I found no oil maybe that was only a dirty TB, but will check that again...

22. 11-22-2003 11:38 PM #47
      It's possible that the "dirt" in the TB is condensed oil vapor mixed with dust and stuff that doesn't get filtered out by the main air filter. Regardless of what the "dirt" is, it seems like a lot for your mileage and is coming from somewhere. You should probably figure out where it's coming from or it seems like you'll have to do this procedure every 10k miles or so.

23. 11-25-2003 02:58 PM #48
      thx man

24. 11-30-2003 01:31 PM #49
      posting to keep in my recent topics [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

25. 12-17-2003 02:07 PM #50
      awesome write up. cant wait till i do it to my TB's.

you are [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emgift.gif[/IMG]ed

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast