Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: bluish green fluid leaking from under front driver's side wheel well?

1. 12-09-2003 10:01 AM #1
      Hi,

I noticed several spots of bright bluish green fluid on my garage floor as well on the side of my car (fluid must have been coming out while the car was moving as well) yesterday morning. Any idea what it is? I have checked the coolant reservoir and the level seems fine. Besides isnt the coolant pink/red in color?

On another note, I heard what sounded like boiling noises coming from the coolant reservoir when I shut off my car's ignition after I returned home last night. Is that normal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 12-09-2003 11:17 AM #2
      Is it a *deep* green -- or kind of a thin blue-green? A deep green would indicate coolant; a thinner bluish color would be more likely for washer fluid.

There is a reservoir for washer fluid in the driver's side front wheel well. Perhaps that reservoir -- or the pump -- has cracked. The pumps have a tendency to crack.

3. 12-09-2003 12:03 PM #3
      Quote, originally posted by dw8 »
      A deep green would indicate coolant;
      G12 coolant, used in our Passat is pink color, not green. Unless you’ve mixed with some regular coolant and turned into different color – a flush and fresh G12 should be in order ASAP.

4. 12-09-2003 02:38 PM #4
      i guess it is a deep green, when the wet spots dried on the floor it had a chalk like consistency. i dont think its the washer fluid.

so, is the coolant G12 green or pink? also, is it normal to hear boiling sounds
      coming from the coolant reservoir after shutting off the ignition....

appreciate the help....

5. 12-09-2003 02:51 PM #5
      windshield washer fluid can drain out either side of the car as it runs off the winshield or trickels out the nozzels

6. 12-09-2003 03:17 PM #6
      Your question about hearing "boiling" is most definately not normal. The last time I had this happen to me on an older car, the radiator was blocked, and the coolant was being overheated. When I stopped and shut the car off, coolant boiled out of the radiator, over-filled the overflow tank - which then spilled out on the ground.

Sounds like you either have a bad radiator, bad thermostat, or a bad water pump.

I'd have this taken care of promptly - or you might find you boil your engine to where it could seize up.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      02 Passat 1.8T 5M
      12-09-2003 03:20 PM #7
      Quote, originally posted by blueSilver »
      so, is the coolant G12 green or pink?

It's most definitaly pink. The reservoir is transparent, so you should see it. if you see green fluid in there, have it drained and replaced as suggested above. Boiling sounds from the coolant reservoir have been mentioned here, but I don't know if that's normal. You may have a bad thermostat. Did your temp needle go well beyond 190F?

12-09-2003 03:33 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by av_audi »
      Boiling sounds from the coolant reservoir have been mentioned here, but I don't know if that's normal.

Normal. The V6 engines have a coolant pump that runs for a short time after shut-off to cycle the coolant through the engine/radiator.

Hers: 2013 Beetle Convertible - Tornado Red, Beige Top & Interior, Tiptronic
      Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

9. 12-09-2003 04:08 PM #9
      i did some searches on clubb5 and found a thread that talks about the "boiling" in the coolant reservoir...it IS normal as you said. the pump circulating the coolant makes it sound like the coolant is boiling...boy am i relieved! also my temp gauge is rock steady at 190.

now to figure out what this deep green liquid is...havent had any more of that stuff come out now since the last time i saw it (more than 24hrs ago).

we had several inches of snow in the dc area where i live and it was quite cold...could that cause anything?

what about other fluids like the power steering fluid? what color is that?

thanks again for the responses.

12-09-2003 04:33 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by blueSilver »
      what about other fluids like the power steering fluid? what color is that?

Power steering fluid is very a dark brown color and *very* oily---like a heavy weight oil. If you touch it it is very much like heavy weight oil. In certain lighting conditions it does have dark olive green hues but on the garage floor it would look brown. Another thing, oils don't evaporate. Oil stains will be there forever. If what you are seeing evaporates, its not any kind of lubricant [engine, transmission, power steering oil].

Hers: 2013 Beetle Convertible - Tornado Red, Beige Top & Interior, Tiptronic
      Mine: 2012 Golf - Tornado Red, Titan Black Interior, Convenience Package, Tiptronic

11. 12-09-2003 10:38 PM #11
      The VW/Audi power steering fluid that I had a VW Tech top off my car with was a very dark green. You should check your PS fluid - it's the one with the green cap.

Vehicles
      '99 Volkswagen Passat, '12 Jeep Patriot
      12-10-2003 12:01 AM #12
      I brought up the very same concern about the circulating coolant (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=905847) a few months ago.

As for the leak, I'd definitely take a look at the windshield washer reservoir. Those reservoirs are so fragile and so close to the fender/bumper that they break easily if you get bumped.

A van recently backed into my front bumper/fender area while I was pumping gas. Although there appears to be *no damage*, the impact took out my windshield washer reservoir amongst other things. It kinda makes you wonder how many times your car gets bumped when you're not around and there is no apparent damage so the other person leaves.