Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY - Installing a new brake light switch (without breaking it!)

1. 09-07-2005 12:13 AM #101
      Wow... VgRt6 to the rescue again...
      I had my EPC light come on and i freak... though after a search or two here i find it might be the brake light... so i do a test and it is brake light.. mine was totally off and wont go on for half hte day then it started going on on its own... i had to pull the fuse to stop draining the battery...
      anyway so i knew there was a recall but apparently according to the dealership the campaign is closed and they told me i had gotten the new switch back in june...
      VWOA said they did not know about any previous campaigns but it was not one of the new ones.
      I say this must be a bad design if this new switch is kaput on me... as my previous switch was fine for 4 years...
      So i buy the new switch its PURPLE as someone said up above... i think lots of these vw's are going to go back for repair and pity people who dont have access to this site or are not willing to thier own repair will run them 180+.
      I was a bit of a dork in all the rush i pulled out the clutch switch and surprisingly the car started without it beingplugged in... i went back to the dealership like an idiot wondering why my brake switch that was replaced was two prong hehe... anyway i installed it pretty fast i used my finger to push it in and rotate.. and it worked as i decided to do it outside the parking lot of the dealership so i dont have to drive back if i break it... and luckily it was good n fine and its all working.
      GREAT write up once again... this is the what 2nd or 3rd write up by you that has saved me lots of pain money and all that... great job....

2. 09-24-2005 10:34 PM #102
      WOW! thanks to this thread! saved me $$$
      [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      09-26-2005 06:00 PM #103
      I just did this procedure exactly as described and when I reconnected the switch the brake lights stay on constantly. Did I get a lemon switch ?
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      09-27-2005 08:51 AM #104
      Quote, originally posted by MAC »
      I just did this procedure exactly as described and when I reconnected the switch the brake lights stay on constantly. Did I get a lemon switch ?

Anyone ?
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

Vehicles
      a white GLI i think
      09-27-2005 08:54 AM #105
      its a possiblilty.......if they arent to much money grab another one.....if that doesnt fix it you might have some sort or wiring problem

6. Member
      09-27-2005 07:25 PM #106
      I had this same issue when i replaced the brake light swich--it is most likely either instaled wrong or the switch--I dont think it would be electrical

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      10-24-2005 07:36 PM #107
      I wish I had researched this before I just gave the dealership $80 in labor. I'm fuming right now.
      This is the second time this part has failed and since the first time happened outside of the warranty period of the part, I had to pay up. That's retarded. If VW doesn't come up with a solution, I'm buying my wife an IS250. We really liked the Passat, but little things like this really bother me. I can handle a little more cheesier plastic for as long as it doesn't break every other year.
      Hey VW, get your heads out of your butts before you lose more once-loyal base of customers.

8. 10-24-2005 07:58 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by titleist1976 »
      Hey VW, get your heads out of your butts before you lose more once-loyal base of customers.

9. 10-25-2005 12:47 PM #109
      vwparts.com not found.... Any other suggestions on where to get this part?

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Honda Pilot
      10-25-2005 12:50 PM #110
      It's only $14 down at the dealership. By time you buy it from an online shop, you'll spend as much on shipping.

11. 10-25-2005 01:07 PM #111
      Good DIY! Just did it myself not to long ago, and im a complete vw idiot =D

12. 10-25-2005 04:10 PM #112
      I have had the problem with it not shifting out of park so i replaced the switch and it shifts out of part but now the brake lights are constantly on. Does this mean the the switch is bad? I reinstalled the old switch and the lights are not on but it shifts out of park about 60% of the time. Should i go and try another switch or is there something else that could cause it to not shift out of park.

13. 11-02-2005 08:44 PM #113
      Is there somewhere online that sells this part? I have looked around quite a bit and I don't live very close to a dealer, I much rather just order online.
      Thanks.

14. 11-09-2005 10:46 PM #114
      bump, still looking for help

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta VR6, 2006 VW Jetta 2.5
      11-10-2005 01:49 AM #115
      good write up
      mujjuman

16. 11-10-2005 10:18 AM #116
      And to think that until now I thought I had found a cool dealership ...
      My brake light switch is crapping out on me, it will come on by itself after I've walked away from the car. Called the dealer. They have the part, it's $15 or $25 depending on the switch; mine should be the $15 one.
      According to them it will cost anywhere from $125-170 to fix it. Thats if they can schedule me in. Forget them!!
      Thanks for the write up, gonna pick up the switch and do it myself. Hell even if I buy ten and break all but the last one I still could save money.

17. 11-10-2005 12:38 PM #117
      Finally found it on my own after forever searching google... http://www.worldimpex.com

Modified by DJWaKe at 1:27 PM 11-28-2005

18. 11-12-2005 02:29 PM #118
      Well, sold the VW that we had this problem with, but should mention this for everyone. I know the parts person who got us the switch and he let me in on a little secret. Even with the brake light switch failure and an automatic transmission there is a way to get the car in to gear. Basically the shifter lock cycles whenever you turn the key so getting it at that split second is the key.
      This is how I was able to move the car around the driveway. Push the shifter button in and pull the shifter towards you some. Now turn the key on to run and the shifter should release long enough to put it in to neutral. Start the car and pull the shifter back in to drive. This is the tricky part, but after a few trys you should be able to get the shifter in to drive or reverse.

19. 11-15-2005 12:52 PM #119
      Thank you very much for posting this online! Mine failed this past Sunday so I took it to a local guy that I trust to do repairs on Monday. He couldn't even start to look at it until the ealry afternoon. He calls me at 4:30 to tell me that he can't get it to work. He thought the replacement was broken too so he had to order another and wouldn't have it until today. Well, I REALLY needed my car today so went online and found your post, went to the local dealer, bought the part and started working at around 10:00pm. I wanted to be extra careful because you guys make this part seem very delicate. I installed it per the instructions, connected the cable...LIGHTS! Awwww...must have scewed it up. Took it back out, and started playing with it. Unlocked it again, made the mistake of pushing it all the way in. Tried for thirty minutes to pull it back out, like you said we could. As I'm playing with it, I noticed, this thing has a THREE notch turn. When I installed it, I only turn it enough to get to the second notch, which I believe (as you say locks the length). I turned it manually to the third notch and connected the cable...LIGHTS, but push the pin in, NO LIGHTS! So I figured it out one switch too late I thought. Figured I'd get up next morning, go to the local VW again and get a new one since now I knew what I did wrong. Got up the next morning and decided to try pulling out the first one again. Figured if I broke it, I was buying a new one anyway. Grabbed a pair of plyers, and it came right out. (Yes I put it back in the unlock position before I pulled.) Installed it again in five minutes. It took longer to put the paneling back on.
      Thanks again...saved me much money and aggrevation!
      X

Vehicles
      feet
      11-18-2005 03:32 PM #120
      doing this on sunday.

21. 11-25-2005 08:20 PM #121
      Great write up, worked like a charm on the first try. Although I felt like a contortionist since I drive a stick and had to start the car to press the pedal in more. It was like a game of twister I had my left hand holding the switch in, my right foot on the brake, then had to reach down and hold the brake with my right hand while swinging my legs out of the canto put my head up under there, but got it done.

Vehicles
      2008 Rabbit 2.5, 2002 Golf GTI 1.8T
      11-28-2005 02:16 PM #122
      Nevermind, I went to the dealer and bought the D version part.
      Great write up though!

Modified by Kowgod at 7:23 PM 11-29-2005

23. 01-21-2006 01:27 PM #123
      this thread was a massive help..
      i had my mechanic telling me he couldn't find the part for almost 2 weeks.. went to vw and bought it for $13.09 and used this write up to put it in.. thanks so much man..

Vehicles
      '07 Audi RS4, '11 VW Touareg TDI Sport
      01-29-2006 01:08 PM #124
      FYI version E is out!

Vehicles
      '03 Wagon TDI 6spd
      02-03-2006 10:13 PM #125
      mine just went out...well is starting to go out, it only works about 70% of the time now.
      And thank you on the FYI about verson E. whats the difference with it?
      THANK YOU FOR THIS DIY!!!!!
      Quote Originally Posted by ennui_delphian View Post
      Don't anger canadiun lesbian...

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast