Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passat Wipers Suck and VW Knows it

1. 12-20-2003 01:52 PM #1
      I purchased my Passat new about 3 months ago. It's really started raining the past month and I've noticed my wipers smear the rain water all over my windshied, almost leaving a haze. I can barely drive at night because of the smear job they do. I have cleaned the windshied several times, thinking that was the culprit.

So I call VW service today and the guy says they'll take a look at it and it's a chronic problem with new VWs. They've tried replacing wiper inserts, adjusting the angle of the wiper arm, replacing the arms and cleaning the windshield, but nothing seems to work. I found a couple TSBs on it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any good fixes? Is an aftermarket blade the answer?

Thanks.

2. 12-20-2003 03:46 PM #2
      I have the same aero wipers you have. I religiously clean the windshield with Stoner's Invisible Glass evey couple of weeks:

Spray. let it soak, first pass with one towel
      Spray, second pass with the other side of the towel
      Spray, third pass with a clean towel

Then, I take the first towel, and clean off the rubber in the wiper.

I don't have these problems. Most of the time, the streaking is caused by either dirty wipers or a dirty windshield. Windex does not clean automotive glass, by the way, as it doesn't have the same solvents as purpose-made windshield cleaner. Road grease has different properties than household grease. Do not use alcohol- it corrodes the rubber.

Aftermarket blades will do squat for you. The only reason you should replace your wiper blades is if the rubber is cruddy or cracked. Besides, I don't think anyone yet makes aftermarket blades for the new wiper arms.

3. 12-20-2003 04:24 PM #3
      I can't say I have exactly the same problem during a normal rain but I have noticed it when I use the windshield washer. Whatever washer fluid that came with the car (I have only had my GLX for 3 months and haven't topped off the washer fluid) seems to leave a smear and smell quite flowery. I assume the smell is so noticable because of the preheating?

4. 12-20-2003 05:08 PM #4
      This is kind of a long shot, but here goes:

I had the same problem with my 2001.5 when new -- replacement wiper blades, careful cleaning, nothing helped. When I inspected it carefully, I found that the surface of the windshield was abraded, as if it had been rubbed with sandpaper.

Had to get rather forceful with the service manager, but pointed out that the car could not be driven safely on a rainy night because visibility was about zero given the glare from oncoming headlights. They replaced the windshield and all was well.

I can't imagine that this is a common problem, and I have no idea what happened. Odds are that this is not your problem at all. But still, you might want to check the surface of the windshield. It's easy to see if there's a problem -- just wet it down and you can see that the surface is not smooth.

Good luck!

5. 12-20-2003 07:05 PM #5
      There's a couple of questions here:

Can you replace the inserts on the aeroblade? Absolutely, although you need to work a wee bit to do it. I did it myself within the last three weeks. I used a Tripledge 22" standard refill. Check for directions on Clubb5's Information Forum for exact instructions.

Did it make a difference? I think so. At least I haven't heard that horrible chattering/stuttering noise and the sweep seems very clean. I'm pleased with the improvement (especially for less than $8).

OEM washer fluid? I'm still on the original juice and I think it does as good a job as any other fluid. Maybe better. It almost forms a suds when it's sprayed, at least on my car. YMMV. HTH.

6. 12-20-2003 10:29 PM #6
      So I went in today and had VW service take a look at it.

The technician cleaned the windshield with glass cleaner and cleaned up the wiper blades. He also used steel wool to try and remove any debris/film from the windshield. Unfortunately, it didn't help anything.

I do notice alot of grooves and scratches in the windshield as bheck mentioned above. Maybe I need to argue a new windshield??

I'll try new inserts next and see if that makes an impact.

Thanks for the input.

7. 12-20-2003 11:30 PM #7
      Had similar problems with the wipers during my first year of ownership. I went back almost monthly to complain to the service mgr.
      Once he actually took an oily rag wrapped it around the left wiper arm and used a pliers to bend it. Of course it only made it worse. Finally after almost a year I went back when the serv mgr was on vacation. His ass't said he could fix the problem in a minute, (less time than reading this). Replaced both wipers with a Bosch wiper and arm that has a little window that changes color when needs replacement. Works incredibly well, and so quiet, no chatter or streaking on either side. He also corrected the left side main arm that his boss screwed up.

8. 12-20-2003 11:53 PM #8
      car nut: I would like to know more about this "upgrade". I would not mind paying my locals to do it if the improvement is solid. Anyone vouch for this procedure in -10 to -20C weather? I am in Canada.

9. 12-21-2003 07:25 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by maxxx »
      car nut: I would like to know more about this "upgrade".

I think I still have the boxes in the trunk. Will check tomorrow and let you know. Re the weather conditions just might be trial & error. There was no charge, I just tipped the ass't mgr.

10. 12-21-2003 02:45 PM #10
      Try cleaning the glass with No-Touch Glass Stripper. I think the porblem lies with the VW supplied washer fluid. It has a "rain-repellant", similar to Rain-X in it. As anyone who's used Rain-X can attest to, the wipers begin to chatter like crazy and sometimes streak as it wears away but still leaves a film.
      Dubs of days gone by -
      85 GTI - Black 5spd
      86 Jetta Coupe - White 5spd
      01 Passat GLX - Indigo Blue 5 spd
      03 Passat W8 6 spd - Pacific Blue

Vehicles
      2007 GTI Fahrenheit #25
      12-21-2003 02:53 PM #11
      I'm not sure it's the wipers. This is my 2nd Passat and I never had this problem before. At first I blamed the new style blades, but th NEW fluid has some strange properties. First, it didnt evaporate, it was almost oily in nature. Then it rained and driving was almost imposable. I tried to drain the factory fluid......almost an imposability unless you can turn the car upside down!! I used Mercedes Benz concentrate, its the only fluid ths works with my wife's silly single wiper system.

My problem has been solved!!

Now, I'm taking my car in for its first 5000 mile oil change (a freebie ) and am hoping some idiot doesnt top off my fluids with that sweet smelling crap VW calls "cleaning fluid"

12. 12-21-2003 03:52 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by VWGUY4EVER »
      Try cleaning the glass with No-Touch Glass Stripper.

Where have you been able to find this stuff? I've tried at least 6 different autoparts stores (including PepBoys and NAPA) and none seem to have it. Thanks.

13. 12-21-2003 03:59 PM #13
      I have the same problem. At first it seemed as though it was only after using the factory washer fluid. I am noticing that after 4 months they are starting to streak unbelievably. The other night I had a hard time seeing.

14. 12-21-2003 07:48 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by maxxx »
      car nut: I would like to know more about this "upgrade".

Cleaned out my trunk this afternoon, (at least part of it). Found the wiper boxes. Each box is labeled with a different VW/Audi part # representing the left and right wiper. Left #8D1 955 427. Right #3A1 955 427 A. Left box also has V13 525mm (21"), right V11 525mm (21"). There was separate packaging for each wiper. The boxes say, "Made in France, Assembled in Mexico." Each wiper has a wear indicator that changes from black to yellow as it ages. Everything printed in English/French. Hope this helps. These wipers have solved all my windshield problems.

15. 12-21-2003 11:50 PM #15
      Thanks carnut.

Vehicles
      2000 Passat 1.8t 5spd
      12-22-2003 08:02 AM #16
      Use BON-AMI (gold can), its a very mild cleanser, found in the grocery store where the house cleaning supplies. Wet the windshield, sprinkle liberal amount on sponge and clean the glass. I have used this on numerous cars. It removes any film and makes the water sheet up on the glass, which is what it should do. I then clean the wiper blades with rubbing alcohol to make sure there is no oily residue. Hope this helps

2000 Passat 1.8t 5spd. Black/Black Leather. Original owner, purchased 12/09
      365,000 miles as of 4/1/2013

17. 12-22-2003 10:12 AM #17
      does this just effect the B5.5 cars ?
      never herd of this problem on the B5 passats

18. 12-22-2003 12:04 PM #18
      I had my first pair of "Smudge Sticks" replaced during my 10k service. The new set is MUCH better than the first set was. I can't explain why, but there is minimal streaking with the new set.

19. 12-22-2003 12:31 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by fastreply »
      I've noticed my wipers smear the rain water all over my windshied, almost leaving a haze. I can barely drive at night because of the smear job they do. I have cleaned the windshied several times, thinking that was the culprit.

I found a couple TSBs on it.

Anyone else have this problem? Any good fixes? Is an aftermarket blade the answer?

Thanks.

I have the same problem with my second set of OEM aero wipers- they smear the water all over the windshield, forming a hazy film and especially bad at the dark. I tried to clean the windshield, wipers, changed several types of windsheild washer fluid, complained to the dealer. So far the problem is still there. I have not noticed this problem with my first set of wipers. I found that blowing the air on the windshield (12 o'clock position), helps to remove this haze, but it comes back after each stroke.
      What does the TSB say?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC Sport 6-spd
      12-22-2003 12:59 PM #20
      My B5 never had this streaking wiper problem. Early this year I replaced the original blades with OEM refills. They had lasted unbelievably long but were starting to chatter. ITo do a thorough cleaning, I clean the windshield with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water and then with Stoner invisible glass cleaner. Vinegar/water removes water spots which Stoner does not. I use cotten towels; they are only used for cleaning windows. I have heard that microfiber towels are better. Most of the time I just use the Stoner.

21. 12-22-2003 01:03 PM #21
      I had the problem also ,got the service manager to replace the winshield as it was scored then I had to buy the older style arms to get rid of the lousy aero wipers , the wipers work well now.

22. 12-22-2003 09:46 PM #22
      I can't say that these wipers do not work well, I have never had the problems with a haze forming. I tried to buy refills at the VW dealer but they were not available, and a whole new wiper was $40 each. so I used the aftermarket procedure mentioned above with TripleEdge refills and it worked great, only took 5 minutes . I use Stoner Invisible glass to clean the windshield. I think these wipers are less troublesome than the old variety with the metal clamps. What I don't understand is if people hate the Aero wipers, why not just buy new regular ones? Even Bosch are no more than $10.00 each, especially if they think it is a safety issue.

23. 12-22-2003 10:36 PM #23
      Hmmm....

Granted I live in San Diego, but I have a 2002 and my wipers (when I actually use them) work perfectly and miraculously have not dry rotted yet either. As a matter of fact, when I do have to replace them, I will make it a point to get them through VW, as they have been the best wipers I've had on any car I've owned.

It's not the fact that they work well that has impressed me. It's the fact that they haven't dry rotted because all the other wipers I've had have been replaced yearly because after 7 or 8 months of not using them, they suck when I actually have to use them.

So basically, from a SoCal point of view, I disagree.

24. 12-23-2003 09:09 AM #24
      They do SUCK. One word: RainX

25. 12-23-2003 11:33 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by veeauto »
      ...What I don't understand is if people hate the Aero wipers, why not just buy new regular ones? Even Bosch are no more than $10.00 each, especially if they think it is a safety issue.

The old style wipers are apparently not a direct fit. You would need to buy the entire wiper arm, not just the blade.

26. 12-23-2003 12:27 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by ytqm »
      Use BON-AMI (gold can), its a very mild cleanser, found in the grocery store where the house cleaning supplies.

I have used bon-ami for many years and it works great. Gets the windshield squeaky clean!

27. 12-23-2003 08:38 PM #27
      Quote, originally posted by car_nut »

Cleaned out my trunk this afternoon, (at least part of it). Found the wiper boxes. Each box is labeled with a different VW/Audi part # representing the left and right wiper. Left #8D1 955 427. Right #3A1 955 427 A. Left box also has V13 525mm (21"), right V11 525mm (21"). There was separate packaging for each wiper. The boxes say, "Made in France, Assembled in Mexico." Each wiper has a wear indicator that changes from black to yellow as it ages. Everything printed in English/French. Hope this helps. These wipers have solved all my windshield problems.

They are the Valeo "Smart Blades"

Andy, sometime I guess mid to late 2002, VW started using the Aero wipers, first on the W8, then trickled down to the rest of the Passats.

----------
      Funny...the Aero wipers are the holy grail of wipers in the MKIV Golf/Jetta forum Everyone wants it....

Me....every car I've had at chattering blades.....Rain-X and PIAA wipers, reduces the need to use wipers.

Modified by GT17V at 8:42 PM 12-23-2003

28. 12-23-2003 09:51 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by GT17V »
      They are the Valeo "Smart Blades"

Are these considered the upgrade? Was I just lucky that the ass't mgr was there that day and knew what he was doing?

Not crazy about Rain-X, buy I do like BonAmi. Tried it on a really dirty shower door years ago and the lightbulb went off about windshields. But folks should know to use plenty of water and stay away from painted areas.

Modified by car_nut at 9:54 PM 12-23-2003

29. 12-25-2003 06:34 PM #29
      clay bar the window using the same clay bar and lubricant you would on your paint. Audi turned my onto this. when i had my A4, there were brochures at the dealer to send away for a free "winshield kit": clay bar and lubricant - which is just a detailer's mist. (spray wax used for a quickie polish after washing).

as with paint, then clay bar will remove invisible contaminants that cause the blade to ride roughly on the glass surface. sometimes the build up is worse depending on where you live, climate, etc... this is the best, most consistently reliable fix i've found for chattering wipers.

it will get the windshield so clean that at highway speeds, the water will bead up and roll off as if rainX was applied - probably due in part to the lubricant. but rainX can agitate the problem if you're putting it over a windshield with grime on it.

i've used meguiar's, 3M, and mother's clay bar kits. be sure to use plenty of the lubricant. it takes less elbow grease than you might think. spray a section of the windshield, rub the clay bar back and forth a few times. move on until the windshield is done. use a towel to wipe everything up and the wash the winshield with glass cleaner.

if you've never used clar bar before - wait until you try it on your bumper after a bug filled highway drive. wash the bumper with soap and water to get off the major krap. spray on the lube and wipe with the clay bar. way more effective than bug and tar remover products and takes less effort. clay bar does remove wax so be sure to put a coat back on the paint after using it. i typically clay my cars at least once a year in the spring after the "winter salt season". i'll do the nose and behind the wheel wells more as needed. claying provides a smooooth clean bas for polish and wax and really helps to bring out a nice, deep shine.

30. 12-26-2003 02:28 AM #30
      My wipers chatter a lot if the windshild isn't soaked with water. I also have that streaking problem's. I thought it was just me, Thanks for this thread guys.

31. 12-26-2003 10:25 PM #31
      Anyone else find that the rear wiper on the variant is awful as well. It cleans at the edge of the wiper, 2 inch ga and hen the rest of the window.

That and the fluid doesn't spray, single stream straight up.

32. 12-26-2003 10:41 PM #32
      Quote, originally posted by Guyute_ »
      Anyone else find that the rear wiper on the variant is awful as well. It cleans at the edge of the wiper, 2 inch ga and hen the rest of the window.

That's how it is on my Golf also. You might be able to adjust the spray pattern with a special tool. Haven't looked into it yet.

For the wiper, the Golf is a small, hard to find size, IIRC 13". Not sure the size for the Passat wagon.

I've installed Silblade Silicone wiper blades on the hatch about 8 months ago (had to be installed reversed of the instructions, because it didn't wipe for about 20° at the top)....works flawlessly, much better than the OEM blade

So try flopping the wiper blade the other way:
      -Remove blade
      -Remove adapter and flip it 180°
      -Reinstall blade

33. 12-27-2003 07:32 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by Guyute_ »

Holy crapsicles you aren't kidding. This is one of my big pet peeves. True, it's nice to even have a rear wiper. But if you're going to do it, do it right! I also get the "frowny arc" right in the middle of the wiper. And no amount of fluid helps.

Doesn't the Audi Avant wiper spray with the wiper arm? I recall hearing something like that. Time to do some research....

34. 12-28-2003 10:08 PM #34
      Hmm. I'll need to try that. I picked up an aftermarket Bosch 15" (the OEM is Bosch, also, but this aftermarket model is a slight bit different in appearance.)

At any rate, I'll try flipping the wiper over- I'm losing about 8-10mm of my wiper arc right now.

Vehicles
      2011 BMW 335i coupe & 2009 328i sedan
      12-31-2003 10:41 AM #35
      Has anyone replaced the wipers with non-OEM?

My passenger wiper chatters like mad... evenm after I cleaned the windshield and blase as directed by the dealer. I want to replace them today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast