Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Hesitation on 2000 New Beetle 1.8t Auto

12-30-2003 09:59 AM #1
      Disclaimer: I have been doing a bunch of searches on the 1.8t, New Beetle and transmission forum.

On to the question.

I just picked up a 2000 New Beetle 1.8t with the 4 speed auto. First off, it's a great car, except for this nasty hesitation I get when I want to accelerate quickly. At first, I thought it was a tranny problem because it feels like the tranny kicks down all the way to 1st. However, I've been doing searches on the 'tex and I'm coming up with possibilities like the n75 valve or DV is malfunctioning, or the MAF needs to be cleaned/replaced, or I need a throttle body alignment.

So, I'm looking for opinions and advice on what is happening. I'm very new to the watercooled world, so go easy. Oh, and no auto flames, please. I'm here for help, not ridicule.

Thanks in advance.

///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

12-30-2003 11:59 AM #2
      bump
      ///BrooklynAutoRennen

2014 VW GLI Autobahn/Nav/DSG - Two clutches. Two pedals. Four doors. No apologies.

12-30-2003 04:26 PM #3
      I unplugged my MAF and the difference is amazing. I'll go to a VW dealer and have them scan and reset my ECU and take it from there.

Lots of fun even with a 4 speed auto. Great combo for me

///BrooklynAutoRennen

12-30-2003 11:16 PM #4
      Bump for the night crowd
      ///BrooklynAutoRennen

5. 12-31-2003 02:34 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »
      I unplugged my MAF and the difference is amazing. I'll go to a VW dealer and have them scan and reset my ECU and take it from there.

Lots of fun even with a 4 speed auto. Great combo for me

If you unplugged the MAF and the resulting performance was better, that could be a hint that the MAF is on its last leg. You should also check the DV for leaks. Do a search here or newbeetle.org on how to test a DV. After that, check the vacuum lines.

Btw, many on newbeetle.org are knowledgeable. They could offer helpful opinions.

Good luck!

6. 12-31-2003 04:19 AM #6
      Newbeetle.org is a good place to start out. That's were I started. I actually used to hate the vortex...and look at me now!!

7. 12-31-2003 06:16 AM #7
      Sorry, I don't know about your problem (maybe DV) but the 4 speed auto does great with the 1.8t so don't worry about the 5 speed guys out there too much. We have something called traction.

Modified by 2OVTurboJetta at 7:52 AM 12-31-2003

12-31-2003 08:34 AM #8
      Way ahead of you with the DV check. Found the instructions on .org and tested it out. Checks out fine. I'm going back to the shop where I bought the car on friday for a MAF replacement. If that works, great. If not, then I'll take it to VW and have it scanned.

///BrooklynAutoRennen

9. 12-31-2003 10:43 AM #9
      So when are you getting it chipped?

I can't remember off the top of my head but I believe the early Beetles need a bit more than a chip to make good hp numbers. I think you can get around 180 with a chip but have to upgrade the fuel system to go higher. I also think you may have the basic K03 (smaller) turbo.

Modified by 2OVTurboJetta at 10:44 AM 12-31-2003

12-31-2003 02:09 PM #10
      Yeah, I'm doing as much research into my particular 1.8t now. Planning all the mods ahead of time. First thing I want to do to the car is lower it, but after that I'll start saving for a chip and exhaust. I'm in no rush and as of right now it's got plenty of around town power, and probably a bit more when I get this MAF thing figured out.

So far, I'm

///BrooklynAutoRennen

01-02-2004 01:04 PM #11
      Figured I'd update the post.

Replaced the MAF today and now I have lots of smooth power. Great engine, great car.

Can't wait to start modding...

///BrooklynAutoRennen

12. 01-02-2004 04:59 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by Mikes72sb »
      First thing I want to do to the car is lower it...

Check out the Suspension forum first before you lower your car. Depending on how low you want to go, find out first what happens to a Mk4 suspension geometry when it's lowered. If you're not too concerned about handling, then lowering isn't an issue.

Btw, glad the new MAF fixed it for ya. They tend to go "lazy" before they actually die. That's how mine behaved.

01-02-2004 08:12 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Cadenza_7o »

Check out the Suspension forum first before you lower your car. Depending on how low you want to go, find out first what happens to a Mk4 suspension geometry when it's lowered. If you're not too concerned about handling, then lowering isn't an issue.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for mostly lowering, but I do want less body roll. I'll keep it at that because this is the 1.8t forum. Research is key, that's what I always say.

///BrooklynAutoRennen