Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The original recipe thread

1. 07-25-2003 01:21 AM #71
      I made this Monday. Good stuff...ages well in the fridge, too.

SECTION 8 JAMBALAYA

-Big ol' Cookin Pot
      -1 pound chicken: Boneless or not, cut to taste
      -1 pound spicey sausage: adulene sausage is Cajun and dense and good. Cut thick
      -1 pound shrizimp. Fresh is better...cooked is good.
      -4 ribs of celery, chopped
      -2 onions, chopped fine
      -Ocra according to taste. I used frozen and it vanished. Fresh would be better. Chopped
      -6-8 fresh Jalepeno peppers. Chopped
      -1 bulb fresh garlic, Minced
      -Creole Seasoning
      -2 tablespoons flour
      -Habenero Hot Sauce
      -1 28 oz can diced tomatos.
      -1 medium can tomato paste
      -8 cups chicken stock
      -4 cups rice. I use Uncle B's converted.
      -Blak Pepper, Salt, Bay Leaves, Oregano
      -Margarine
      -flour

Prep all your goods before, cuz otherwise you'll burn something...well you'll burn your ass after you pass this jambalaya, but thats later. Put about 2 tblsp of margarine in a frying pan and brown the chicken and sausage. Add a bit of flour to the meat to make a Rue. This is a Cajun thing I don't really get, but those suckas do it. Get the meat nice and golden brown. Season with lots of Creole, its going in the pot anyway. Dont overcook cuz the chicken will get stringy.

Put some more margarine in the pot and throw in your veggies and garlic. Once the onions are clear, spoon in the tomato paste. Keep it moving so the paste doesn't burn. Wait til the veggies are soft. The paste can carmelize a bit for good flavor.

Stir in 2 cups of stock and mix everthing up. Let this cook for about 10 mins and add in the meat and diced tomatos. Season with more Creole, Habenero Sauce (I use about a half-bottle) and salt/pepper/bay/oregano. Let it all cook for another 10.

Once the flavors right, add in the rest of the stock, shrimp and the rice. Let it cook until the rice absorbs the liquid and sauce thickens. Turn the whole pot a few times so it doesn't burn on the bottom. When the rice is soft shut off the fire and let it think for another 10 minutes. Turn the jambalaya a few times. Don't mix it cuz you'll smoosh your rice and veggies.

Its a rice dish but its good with some cheese-garlic bread and something cool like a cucumber salad or slaw or something. Any meat or veggie will do. If its bloody when you wipe, you seasoned like a man.

Modified by DgenR8 at 10:30 PM 7-24-2003

2. Senior Member
      07-25-2003 07:54 AM #72
      Quote, originally posted by DgenR8 »
      -Ocra according to taste. I used frozen and it vanished. Fresh would be better. Chopped

Isn't it amazing how something can disappear in a dish? My wife and I were making something once, and we added pearl onions to it. Same thing. They vanished.

3. 07-26-2003 04:18 AM #73
      Quick Chicken Wraps Great for when hungry and in a hurry.
      A great lunch that can be made in 30 minutes. Serves 4-6 people (or 1 person 4-6 times, [chuckle] ).

Ingredients for step 1
      4-5 Chicken Breasts
      1/2 packet of taco seasoning (optional)
      Couple dashes of salt (optional)

Ingredients for step 2
      ~4-6 large "burrito" size tortillas (more if tortillas are smaller)
      X amount of torn lettuce or spinach
      X amount of sliced tomatoes
      X amount of favorite salad dressing (Ranch goes very well) or salsa

Step 1 (~20-30 minutes)
      Cut chicken breasts in small pieces, place in wide pan (may need cooking spray). Sprinkle taco seasoning according to taste. A couple of small dashes of salt may also be added. Heat pan on 'medium high' for around 20 minutes or so, all the while turning pieces and ensuring that taco seasoning is equally distributed. Once thoroughly cooked, remove from heat.

Step 2 (~ 5 minutes)
      Place cooked chicken* in a 2 inch wide straight line in the middle of the tortilla, stopping 2 inches from the end of the tortilla. Cover chicken with lettuce and tomatoes. Cover with favorite dressing (again, I emphasize Ranch) or salsa. Fold the bare 2 inch part of the tortilla over the chicken and wrap left and then right side of tortilla over chicken (essentially making a burrito). Then eat.

* If chicken pieces are still too large, cut them.

Please IM me if you liked this or if you found a way to improve! Happy tasting!

4. 07-30-2003 02:16 PM #74
      Mashed Potatos and Mash

You can use as many potatos as you want for this, just make a batch twice as big as you normally do so you can make the mash.

take proper amount of red potatos and boil them until ready
      pour in milk and a lot of butter (I always use 2/3 cup milk and a half cube of butter).

pour in 1-2 tablespoons of ground caraway seeds, and 1 tablespoon of cumin.

enjoy mashed potatos. keep the leftovers in the fridge, the next day fry the leftovers like they're hash browns... and you've got mash!!! great with ketchup.

Vehicles
      SMC/CRV
      08-24-2003 11:06 PM #75
      GrapeNut treats.

use RiceCrispies reciped and replace the RiceCrispies with GrapeNuts, and they make excellent breakfast bars and taste really good.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Titan
      08-27-2003 11:04 AM #76
      I'll have to show the fiancee how to get on the Vortex and open up this thread. Sooo many really good receipes.

::continues to stare mindlessly at the screen while slowing sipping protein shake::

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1969 VW Beetle
      08-29-2003 02:12 AM #77
      got this from http://bertc.com/recipes.htm

check out the site for more macabre recipes!

Kitty Litter Cake

1 pk Spice cake mix
      1 pk White cake mix
      1 pk White sandwich cookies
      1 sm Package vanilla pudding mix
      12 sm Tootsie Rolls

Prepare cake mixes and bake according to directions. Prepare pudding mix and chill until ready to assemble. Crumble white sandwich cookies in small batches in blender. They tend to stick, so scrape often.

When cakes are cooled, crumble into a large bowl. Toss with half the cookie crumbs and the chilled pudding. Gently combine. Pour into a clean kitty litter box.

Put unwrapped Tootsie Rolls in a microwave safe dish two at a time and heat until soft and pliable. Shape ends so they are no longer blunt, curving slightly. Repeat until you have nine, and bury them in the mixture. Sprinkle the other half of cookie crumbs over top. Heat three more Tootsie Rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with cookie crumbs. Serve with a new pooper scooper.

8. Senior Member
      09-02-2003 04:02 PM #78
      My wife just had me type these up for somebody:

Lemon Chess Pie
      (from Virginia Hospitality)

3 eggs, beaten until light
      3 tablespoons butter, melted
      1½ cups sugar
      ½ teaspoon salt
      1½ lemons, juiced
      1 pastry shell, unbaked
      grated rind of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first 6 ingredients and pour into the pastry shell. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Chocolate Chess Pie
      (from A Taste of the Outer Banks)

1½ cups sugar
      ½ stick melted butter
      1/3 cup cocoa
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      2 eggs, beaten
      1 pastry shell, unbaked
      5 oz. can evaporated milk

Stir together the sugar and the cocoa. Add the next 4 ingredients. Pour into the pastry shell. Bake at 350° about 40 minutes or until done.

Buttermilk Chess Pie

1 stick butter
      4 tablespoons flour
      1 2/3 cup sugar
      1 cup buttermilk
      2 eggs
      1 tablespoon lemon extract

Cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, remaining sugar, and flour. Add buttermilk and extract. Bake in two unbaked pie shells for 30 minutes at 350°. Can also be baked in 16 individual tart shells (prick shells, prebake for 3 minutes, then fill and bake).

9. 09-03-2003 12:19 PM #79
      i just posted this in another thread, but here it is, jalapeno cheese bread:

1 package yeast
      1/2 cup warm water
      1/2 cup lukewarm milk
      2/3 cup softened butter ( i know it's alot, but it's SO GOOD!)
      2 eggs
      1 teaspoon salt
      3 cups flour
      1 cup shredded cheese (i use sharp cheddar)
      1/2 teaspoon pepper
      1/2 small can (or more to taste) chopped jalapenos (i use the ortega can that's like 2 inches tall, drained and rinsed.)

dissolve yeast in warm water. add milk, butter, eggs, salt, and 1 cup of the flour. beat on low till pretty well mixed, then scrape bowl for 30 seconds. Stir in remaining flour, cheese, pepper, and jalapenos. beat on medium for 2 minutes (dough will thicken.) scrape bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 40 mins. stir down by beating with a spoon, about 25 strokes. grease a 2 quart casserole dish, and spread dough evenly into dish. cover, return to the warm place, and let rise again until double, about 45 mins. bake in a 375 degree oven on low rack so top of dish is in the middle of the oven. takes 40-45 mins to bake.

10. 09-03-2003 02:57 PM #80
      This one's good as an appetizer

Chicken Yakitori (kabobs)

1lb. chicken breast
      2-4 green onions
      2.5 cups soy sauce
      1 cup sake
      1.5 cups morin (sweet rice wine)

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and
      add to skewers with green onion slices.
      Broil until golden brown. Mix soy sauce,
      sake and mirin. Cook sauce on stove top
      until it is reduced by 1/3. Serve with chicken.

I gets banned if I do, gets banned if I don't
      So sometimes I will and sometimes I won't

11. Senior Member
      09-03-2003 03:10 PM #81
      Very similar to the Korean Beef on page two, which I also make as a apperizer.

12. 09-23-2003 04:33 AM #82
      BUMP. Hungry student needs some more easy meals!

13. 09-30-2003 01:18 PM #83
      for the season:

Apple Cider Pork Chops
      Ingredients:

3 tablespoons flour
      1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      4 boneless pork loin chops
      2 teaspoons vegetable oil
      1 cup apple cider
      1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
      1 teaspoon lemon zest
      2 medium tart apples--peeled and sliced

Directions:

In a large sealable plastic bag, combine the flour, half the pepper, and the salt. One at a time add the pork chops and shake to coat.
      Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Saute the pork until lightly browned, one to two minutes on each side. Reduce the heat and add the cider. Simmer, covered, until the pork is cooked through and tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the pork to a platter and keep warm.
      Add the vinegar, apple slices, and lemon zest to the pan juices and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with the remaining pepper and spoon the sauce and apple slices over the pork before serving.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 WJ
      10-06-2003 04:04 PM #84
      Quote, originally posted by vwSYDvw »
      Apple Cider Pork Chops

MMM this sounds delicious.

15. 10-07-2003 05:25 PM #85

WARM LOBSTER TACO WITH YELLOW TOMATO SALSA AND JICAMA SALAD

I created this dish in early 1986 and it quickly became my signature appetizer on The Mansion on Turtle Creek menu. The name "Lobster Taco" perfectly illustrates the casual elegance that characterizes Southwest Cuisine. Its appeal is rooted in the combination of rich lobster and a simple flour tortilla. The salsa and salad garnishes produce an explosion of color that promises exciting dining.

Serves 6

3 1 pound lobsters
      6 6 inch fresh flour tortillas
      1 tablespoons olive oil
      Salt to taste
      1 cup spinach leaves, cut into fine julienne
      1 cup grated jalapeno Jack cheese
      Yellow Tomato Salsa, recipe to follow
      Jicama Salad, recipe to follow

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Fill a large stock pot with lightly salted water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add lobsters and cook for about 8 minutes or until just done. Drain and let lobsters cool slightly. Wrap tortillas tightly in foil and place in preheated oven for about 8 minutes or until heated through. Keep warm until ready to use.

Remove meat from lobster tails being careful not to tear it apart. Cut meat into thin medallions (or medium sized dice, if meat breaks apart).

Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add lobster, season with salt and saute until just heated through, about 1 minute. Add spinach and wilt in pan, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese until melted and creamy, about 1 minute.

Spoon equal portions of mixture into the center of each warm tortilla. Roll tortillas into a cylinder shape and place each one on a warm serving plate.

Surround the taco with Yellow Tomato Salsa and garnish each side with a small mound of Jicama Salad.

http://www.tasteofthesouthwest...eland

Yep. Her.

Modified by Hawkmoon at 4:30 PM 10-7-2003

I gets banned if I do, gets banned if I don't
      So sometimes I will and sometimes I won't

16. 10-07-2003 09:29 PM #86
      Quote, originally posted by Hawkmoon »
      WARM LOBSTER TACO WITH YELLOW TOMATO SALSA AND JICAMA SALAD

I created this dish in early 1986...... Serves 6

3 1 pound lobsters

Very, very generous appetizer portion, $24. in nyc.

Also, did you really create this when you were 13 ???

17. 10-22-2003 10:20 AM #87
      Thai Steak Wraps
      Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes
      Inactive Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 6 to 8 servings

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
      2 teaspoons coarse salt
      1 tablespoon paprika
      1/2 teaspoon cumin
      1 tablespoon brown sugar
      1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1 teaspoon allspice
      2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger, plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
      1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
      1 1/4 pound flank steak
      1 tablespoon light sesame oil
      1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
      2 tablespoons light soy sauce
      1 tablespoon sugar
      1 jalapeno, grated
      3 scallions, thinly sliced
      8 cups Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
      1 carrot, shredded
      1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
      6 to 8 pita wraps, warmed

In a plastic re-sealable bag, combine black pepper, salt, paprika, cumin, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, allspice, 2 teaspoons of ginger, and the chopped parsley. Add flank steak and coat evenly. Seal bag and refrigerate for 1 to 12 hours.
      Grill for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow meat to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
      In a small non-reactive bowl, combine sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add remaining ginger and jalapeno. In a wok pan, combine dressing and scallions.
      Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage and carrot and toss until heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
      Remove from heat and add cilantro.
      Combine sliced flank steak and cabbage slaw and serve on warm pita wraps.

Nutrition Info
      Per Serving Calories 400
      Fat 14.2 g Saturated Fat 4.7 g
      Carbohydrates 42.6 g Protein 27.3 g
      Fiber 2.4 g

18. Member
      10-29-2003 11:01 AM #88
      Chicken Breasts with Double-Garlic Aioli

Serves 4

For the Aioli:
      20 cloves garlic
      1 egg
      1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
      1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
      ½ teaspoon salt
      ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
      ½ cup canola oil
      1 tablespoon boiling water
      1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
      ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper

4 boneless chicken breast halves, skinned if desired
      salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
      2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley

To make the aioli, in a small saucepan, combine the garlic with water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 seconds. Drain in a sieve, return to the pan and repeat the simmering and draining two more times. After the third time, let the garlic cool in the sieve for 5 minutes.

In a food processor, combine the cooled garlic, egg, vinegar, mustard, and salt. Puree until completely smooth, 15-30 seconds, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the motor running, pour in the olive and canola oils in a thin, steady stream, adding them more slowly at first and a little more quickly after the first ½ cup or so has been emulsified. Add the boiling water, lemon juice, and white pepper and process again. If the aioli is too thick, you can thin it with a teaspoon or two of water.

Prepare a fire in a grill.

Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat pounder, pound lightly to achieve a more even thickness. Season generously on both sides with salt and black pepper.

Place the chicken breasts on the grill rack and grill, turning once, until browned on both sides and just opaque throughout, about 10 minutes total. Transfer the breasts to a cutting board and let rest for 2 minutes.

Cut each breast into slices on the diagonal about ½ inch thick. Using tongs, transfer each breast, keeping the slices together in their original shape, to warmed individual plate. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with a large dollop of the aioli.

19. Banned
      11-07-2003 03:25 PM #89
      Quote, originally posted by LangsamKafer »
      Sheesh Michele, your positively prolific!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=628713

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
      My own Biscotti (is easier than it looks, I swear)

Ingredients:
      1 and 1/4 sticks of butter (10 TB)
      1 cup sugar
      3 eggs
      1 TB vanilla
      1 drop almond extract (optional)
      1/2 tsp ground cardamom seed (optional)
      3 1/4 cups flour
      2.5 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 cup toasted almond slivers (or other nut such as hazlenut pieces)
      1/2 cup dried tart cherries
      1/2 cup chocolate chips
      1 TB coarse sugar

Directions:
      Preheat oven to 375.
      Mix/sift together flour, salt and baking powder in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large bowl in the microwave on medium heat. When melted, mix in sugar, vanilla, extracts and spices. Add eggs one at a time and mix until thoroughly blended. Gradually mix in the flour and baking soda. When blended, mix in remaining ingredients (nuts, cherries and chocolate chips).

Seperate dough into halves. On a large cookie sheet, shape two long, flat rectangles the lenght of the sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and bake for 25 minutes or until light to medium golden brown.

Remove cookies from the oven and let cool one hour. When cooled, cut 1/2 inch thick pieces on a diagonal. They are fully cooked at this stage, and you can enjoy them as a softer cookie if you like. For traditional crispy biscotti, arrange slices on the cookie sheet and bake for another 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees. After 15-20 minutes, turn off the oven and let the cookies cool inside for another hour or two.

Notes:
      Add your own variety of mix ins and spices. Suggestions: cinnamon, hazlenuts, candied orange peel, ground cloves, nutmeg, dried cranberries, white chocolate chips, candied ginger, ground ginger, anise seeds, coconut, etc.
      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmm, tasty

20. 11-12-2003 03:38 PM #90
      We are doing 1 new dinner & 1 new dessert in our house per week... Here was my first dinner.

4 cod filets
      French Beans (enough for 4)
      10 thin strips of pancetta
      Big handful of Pine Nuts
      2 lemons, quartered
      Olive Oil
      Salt & Pepper

Place french beans in the bottom of a roasting pan in a single layer. Drizzle w/ olive oil & season w/ S&P.

Place cod on top of beans

Place pancetta on top of cod & through the beans

Place lemon wedges throughout

Sprinkle pine nuts over all

Bake for 15 minutes or so at 425.

OMG - This was SO good.

My husband was like, "Damn, this looks like it is from a restaurant...!"

I coupled this with a lovely, light potato salad. Here is the potato salad:

Small bag of new potatoes - I used French Fingerling potatoes and HIGHLY recommend using those. They are SO buttery w/o adding anything to them.
      1 Avacado
      1 Lemon juiced
      Double the volume of lemon in Olive oil
      A small green - watercress (baby), mustardcress, etc. I used Mache - it is an heirloom salad and is SO freakin good. A little pricy but 100% worth it.
      Thyme
      S&P

Boil potatoes until tender
      Remove to drain & cool
      Cut up avacado into whatever shape you like. I used large hunks.
      Get a jar - add lemon, oil, & fresh thyme - SHAKE!
      Drizzle dressing over salad
      Add greens at the last minute so they don't go mushy.
      Drizzle more dressing if needed.

Both of these came out of one Jamie Oliver's cookbooks.

PS. I used sea salt in everything to continue w/ the fish theme... I don't know if it made a difference but I liked the grain of it compared to kosher salt and it does taste a bit sea-like.

Vehicles
      Sold the fun cars. :(
      12-12-2003 11:48 AM #91
      Linguine with Spicy Thai Shrimp Sauce
      serves 4

12 oz. Linguine, uncooked
      12 oz. fresh medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, or 12 oz. small frozen shrimp, thawed
      3 red bell peppers, seeds and stems removed, cut into bite-size, thin strips
      3 scallions, thinly sliced (white part and tips of green part)
      2 tbsp. smooth peanut butter
      1 tbsp. sesame oil
      1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
      1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
      1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced
      1/2 tsp. ground ginger
      1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
      1 tbsp. mild white vinegar

Prepare linguine according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan and place over low heat. Cover and simmer until the sauce is smooth and the shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes.

When linguine is done, drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Add sauce and toss gently until well combined. Serve immediately.

rynodyno312: Just curious, but what makes it a "controversial" engine?
      Fritz27: The LS7 made some anti-Semitic remarks back in 2008. Look it up.

22. 12-15-2003 09:43 AM #92
      Quote, originally posted by todras »
      Linguine with Spicy Thai Shrimp Sauce
      serves 4

I made this dish this weekend. Very good, VERY spicy. My boyfriend and I had clear sinus' when we were done eating. Mmmm I will definately make it again. The only thing is I had to add salt because it was kind of bland.

Vehicles
      Sold the fun cars. :(
      12-16-2003 09:39 AM #93
      Great to hear! Cayenne pepper can be substituted for the crushed red pepper flakes. Might want to only put in 1/4 of a tsp. if you're not high on spicey stuff. I like my stuff hot though.
      rynodyno312: Just curious, but what makes it a "controversial" engine?
      Fritz27: The LS7 made some anti-Semitic remarks back in 2008. Look it up.

24. 12-24-2003 03:22 PM #94
      "Stinky" Chicken or Pork

Quick & simple (...and kids will eat it like candy!)

Pick up some boneless chicken and/or pork medallions,
      1 bottle of French or Catalina salad dressing (the creamy orange/red stuff) and a packet of dried french onion soup mix.

Pour salad dressing into bowl, add French onion soup mix and stir.

Brush on to meat and cook for ~10 minutes on grill or 15@350 oven.

Rebrush (both sides) at 5min if on grill, if using oven make SURE you do it in a sealed cooking bag.

Very Tasty! When done on the grill you'll have neighbors peaking over the fence

25. 12-24-2003 03:24 PM #95
      That actually sounds awesome. Does it taste sweet?

26. 12-24-2003 03:28 PM #96
      Rum, Honey, Coffee Brownies

I box of betty crocker Walnut Brownie mix
      1 bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum
      Honey
      Ground coffee

Prepare brownie mix as per instructions but substitute rum (in equal volume) for water. Add two (2) tablespoons of honey and mix.

Pour prepared mix into pan and (lightly)sprinkle ground coffee over the top before you throw in oven.
      10@350 and enjoy.

I "borrowed" this recipe from a group of renegade monks! no lie

27. 12-24-2003 03:33 PM #97
      Quote, originally posted by inurb »
      That actually sounds awesome. Does it taste sweet?

depends on the dressing and how heavy you "shellac" the meat! but, in general, yes it is sweet!

28. 12-24-2003 04:02 PM #98
      Nepalm Chilli (good heat and sticks to your ribs!)

Two (2) lbs lean prime ground round
      Eight (8) jalepeno's
      Three (3) cayenne's
      One sprig (ear?) of elephant garlic
      Three (3) assorted bell peppers (usually a yellow, red and orange...just to be festive!)
      One onion
      One (1) six-pack of Guiness (Genius) beer! most important/read below
      Two (2) 12 oz cans of Refried Beans with green chilli's
      One can of Kidney beans (Light or Dark.... no preference)

NEIN CHILLI POWDER!!! und NEIN TOMATOE PASTE!!!
      NEIN, NEIN, NEIN

Brown meat in pan, drain off grease, dump in crock pot.
      Pour in 0ne (1/2) half bottle/can of Guiness and set to low heat.

Nurse the remaining beer while you work! cooking can be fun

Dice up all the veggies and throw them in the pot.
      Add garlic and onion to suite your taste!
      If you do not have a nomex gut then I would recommend de-seeding the hot peppers and maybe even avoiding the cayennes altogether! ( ...even though that would not be sporting!)

Now that you're done with the cutting, open another beer...you deserve it!

Give everything a good stir and grab those refried and kidney beans.
      Open both cans of refried beans and the kidneys and add them to the pot. Stir again and cover the pot.
      Keep on low and cook for about 4 hours, stirring once every ~30 min.
      It goes alot faster if you continue to drink more beer...

Let this sit in the fridge for about three days and I guarentee it will bead up your forehead real good!

Modified by BadassVW at 4:04 PM 12-24-2003

01-01-2004 06:38 PM #99
      Back to recipes.

Americanized Haggis
      1 lb boneless lamb shoulder or breast, cut into pieces (or ground lamb)
      1/2 lb lamb liver, cut into pieces
      1/2 c water
      1 small onion, coarsely chopped
      1 large egg
      3/4 ts salt
      3/4 ts pepper, black
      1/2 ts sugar
      1/4 ts ginger, ground
      1/8 ts cloves, ground
      1/8 ts nutmeg, ground
      1 c oats, rolled, old fashioned
      Heat oven to 350-F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.

In food processor with chopping blade, process together half of the lamb, the liver, water, onion, egg, salt, pepper, sugar, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg until well combined. Add the remaining half of the lamb and the oats; process until well combined.

Spoon lamb mixture into the greased pan; pat surface to level. Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until center feels firm when gently pressed. Cool 5 minutes in pan; unmold onto platter; slice and serve.

Notes: This skinless haggis is planned for American tastes, yet contains many of the ingredients found in the real thing. You can unmold the loaf and serve it in place of the purchased haggis recipes.

Vehicles
      2012 Equinox
      01-20-2004 11:12 PM #100
      Conversion Table for Cooking

From here:

Quote »

U.S. to Metric
      Capacity
      1/5 teaspoon = 1 ml
      1 teaspoon = 5 ml
      1 tablespoon = 15 ml
      1 fluid oz. = 30 ml
      1/5 cup = 50 ml
      1 cup = 240 ml
      2 cups (1 pint) = 470 ml
      4 cups (1 quart) = .95 liter
      4 quarts (1 gal.) = 3.8 liters

Weight
      1 oz. = 28 grams
      1 pound = 454 grams

Metric to U.S.
      Capacity
      1 militers = 1/5 teaspoon
      5 ml = 1 teaspoon
      15 ml = 1 tablespoon
      30 ml = 1 fluid oz.
      100 ml = 3.4 fluid oz.
      240 ml = 1 cup
      1 liter = 34 fluid oz.
      1 liter = 4.2 cups
      1 liter = 2.1 pints
      1 liter = 1.06 quarts
      1 liter = .26 gallon
      Weight
      1 gram = .035 ounce
      100 grams = 3.5 ounces
      500 grams = 1.10 pounds
      1 kilogram = 2.205 pounds
      1 kilogram = 35 oz.

Cooking Measurement Equivalents
      16 tablespoons = 1 cup
      12 tablespoons = 3/4 cup
      10 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons = 2/3 cup
      8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup
      6 tablespoons = 3/8 cup
      5 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon = 1/3 cup
      4 tablespoons = 1/4 cup
      2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup
      2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons = 1/6 cup
      1 tablespoon = 1/16 cup
      2 cups = 1 pint
      2 pints = 1 quart
      3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon
      48 teaspoons = 1 cup

Modified by LangsamKafer at 9:17 AM 1-21-2004

01-22-2004 08:44 AM #101
      Here's a great recipe for Tandoori chicken. Once you marinate the chicken, there's lots of options - grill, bake, stir-fry, whatever.

Marinate the chicken in the morning or the day before for best results (duh).

Ingredients:

1 small chicken, about 3 lbs. (1.5kg), cut into serving pieces and skinned. You can also use chicken breasts or chicken legs.

Marinade
      ½ cup (125g) Plain yoghurt
      2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
      1 tablespoon chopped garlic
      1 tablespoon peeled and crushed ginger
      2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
      2 tablespoons tandoori masala powder (available at any Indian grocer)
      Vegetable oil for brushing
      Fresh cilantro (garnish)
      Slices of cucumber, red onion, tomato, lemon (garnish)

Stick the chicken all over with a fork, and cut horizontal slashes with a knife so the marinade can get into the chicken. Place the chicken in a large, shallow dish.

In a large bowl, combine yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, salt, and tandoori masala powder. Stir until well mixed, then pour over the chicken and rub it into the chicken with your hands. Cover and let marinade in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.

Grilling
      Remove chicken from marinade, and press lightly to remove excess marinade. Brush with oil and grill on a charcoal grill, using more oil to baste the chicken and keep it moist. Keep turning to cook evenly, and remove when a cut shows the jujces are running clear.

Oven Roasting
      Heat oven to 450 F (230 C). Place chicken and marinade in a roasting pan, brush with oil, and cook 25 – 30 minutes, turning once. When a cut shows juices are running clear, chicken is cooked.

Add cilantro, tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and lemon to garnish.

Serves 4

Variations: I add onions, red and green peppers to the chicken before oven roasting - they soak up the marinade and when combined with bhasmati rice make an awesome meal.

<edit> Forgot to add the required quantity of chicken

Modified by Sunil at 3:51 PM 1-22-2004

Ryder Hesjedal: "If you draw your sword and then drop it, you die."

32. 01-25-2004 10:31 PM #102
      Fruit Salad with Mint-Lime-Tequila syrup
      Great for brunch, lunch, summertime dessert. Serves 4-6
      I got this recipe from my mom's husband, I'm not sure where he got it from but it's so incredibly good, I doubled the recipe and it was all eaten by 4 people.

2 bunches mint, divided
      1/2 cup sugar
      1/4 cup gold Tequila
      2 limes
      1/2 cup water

1 cup FRESH pineapple, cut into bite sized chunks
      2 bananas, cut into 1/4" slices
      1 cup strawberries, hulled and cut into halves or quarters
      Nonfat vanilla yogurt (optional)

In a small saucepan, bring 1 bunch of mint, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat and bring to low simmer for 15 minutes. Add tequila and simmer for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and add the juice of 2 limes. Cool and strain. Syrup can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge.

Chop up the other bunch of mint (or less to taste, if you're not crazy about mint) and mix in a large bowl with the chopped fruit and syrup. Top with a spoonful of vanilla yogurt, if desired. Looks impressive served in a margarita glass, garnished with a sprig of mint.

Modified by mgratzer at 7:32 PM 1-25-2004

01-26-2004 01:48 PM #103
      This is a variation on the tandoori chicken recipe I posted above. I just made it up this weekend. It's a bit easier, is quick to prepare, and holy crap is it good for leftovers.

Ingredients:

chicken breast or two - chopped into chunks
      Red and Green pepper chopped into squarish chunks
      1 whole onion - chopped into strips
      1 whole tomato - cubed
      3 or 4 cloves chopped garlic
      About same amount chopped ginger
      About 1/4 cup veggie oil

Marinade:

1 cup yoghurt
      1/2 cup sour cream
      bit less than a 1/2 fresh lemon (squeeze into the marinade)
      2 teaspoons salt
      2 fat teaspoons tandoori masala powder

Heat the oven to 450 F. Dump the chicken chunks into a bowl with some oil, and throw in the garlic, ginger. Mix it around with your hands to get the garlic/ginger flavor into the chicken. Mix the Marinade ingredients together and taste. It should taste a little TOO salty - but this is good, b/c the chicken will need it. Dump the marinade over the chicken and mix around with your hands. Pour it all into a baking dish with the peppers, tomatoes, onions, and mix it thoroughly with a spoon. Bake it for about 30 minutes, stir it after 15 - 20 minutes. Serve it with some Bhasmati. This tastes even better the 2nd day.

02-02-2004 04:56 AM #104
      Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

I made this this weekend. It was awesome, and didn't require too much prep time, just a bit of waiting (like most soups).

I got the recipe from "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook", which I highly recommend.

The recipe can be halved (which we did), and you can substitute dried thyme and basil (obviously not 4 CUPS of it! - a tablespoon or so should do). However, if you do so, the soup will need "sprucing up". We chopped up some pickled sun-dried tomotoes, grated a little cheddar cheese, and added it before we ate.

Also, the "40 minute simmer" can be skipped if you're using dried spices. Total prep time for this is about 20 minutes of cooking, and 20 minutes of sitting around scratching yourself.

3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
      1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons good olive oil
      1 tablespoon kosher salt
      1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
      6 garlic cloves, minced
      2 tablespoons unsalted butter
      1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
      28 ounces canned plum tomatoes with their juice
      4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
      1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
      1 quart chicken stock or water

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Toss together the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in one layer on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.

In an 8-quart stockpot on medium heat, sauté the onions and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, butter, and red pepper flakes for 10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes. Pass through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade. Taste the seasonings. Serve hot or cold.

Serves 6 to 8.

Modified by Sunil at 10:58 AM 2-2-2004

35. 02-08-2004 11:16 AM #105
      I made these for our Grammy party tonight. Enjoy with a strong cup of coffee:

TRUFFLE DESSERT BROWNIES

1-1/4 c. (2-1/2 sticks) butter
      3/4 c. Hershey's Dutch Processed Cocoa
      1 c. plus 1 Tb. sugar, divided
      3 Tb. all-purpose flour
      2 tsp. vanilla extract
      4 eggs, separated

Heat oven to 425 F. Grease bottom of 9-in. square baking pan

Melt butter over low heat. Stir in cocoa and 1 c. sugar. Remove from heat; cool about 5 min.

Stir in flour and vanilla. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Beat egg whites with 1 Tb. sugar until soft peaks form; gradually fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into prepared pan.

Bake 18-20 minutes or until edges are firm. Center will be slightly soft. Cool completely. Refrigerate about 4 hours. Garnish with powdered sugar. 20 servings.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast