Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The original recipe thread

1. Member
      1994 Land Cruiser
      01-20-2003 12:23 PM #26
      I've made your Potato Gatto on several occations now and haven't thanked you for the recipe as of yet. It is lovely and I recommend it to anyone.

2. Banned
      01-22-2003 03:59 AM #27
      My Recipe: Dirt Broke College Student Sick of Ramen Noodles Chicken
      2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
      Italian Breadcrumbs (Any will work, plain, cajun, etc... thats what I use)
      Light Mayonaise
      Seasonings of your preference
      Baste the raw chicken with mayo, put into bag with breadcrumbs, shake it all about
      Lay out on foil lined tray, bake at 350 for about 30-35 mins. About 10 minutes into it squeeze some lemon over the chicken. When all is said and done you have non-fried chicken fingers that are zingy and not at all dried out.
      You can make a rather large dinner for $7. $4 for the chicken, 1.50 for Mayo, 50 cents for lemon, 79 cents for the breadcrumbs
      If you're a big spender pop for italian bread (another 99 cents) and boil up your favorite frozen vegetable--mmmmmmmm spinach (79 cents)
      Will feed 2-3 Hungry people
      Prep Work- Wash the chicken under cold water. Slice into strips (about the size you'd expect to get at a bar ordering chicken fingers)
      Prep time is about 10 minutes. I always transfer the mayo to a plate, then use a dedicated knife to spread it to prevent any bacteria from the chicken getting into the jar of mayo.
      This is definetly one of the low brow recipes out there, but it's simple and easy. Furthermore it tastes Faboo and as long as you don't burn anything it pops out of the oven looking retaurant quality.

[Modified by JrodVW, 3:02 AM 1-22-2003]

3. 01-27-2003 12:45 AM #28
      I love this recipe. Everytime I make it people go nuts.

Cream Puffs

For the pate a choux pastry:
      1 cup water
      8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
      1 cup all-purpose flour
      3 to 4 eggs, plus 1 egg for egg wash
      For the filling:
      2 cups heavy cream
      2 tablespoons sugar
      1/4 teaspoon vanilla
      To make the cream puffs: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, salt, and granulated sugar to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. When it boils, immediately take the pan off the heat. Stirring with a wooden spoon, add all the flour at once and stir hard until all the flour is incorporated, 30 to 60 seconds. Return the pan to the heat and cook, stirring, 30 seconds to evaporate some of the moisture.
      Scrape the mixture into a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at medium speed. With the mixer running, and working 1 egg at a time, add 3 of the eggs, stopping after each addition to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix until the dough is smooth and glossy and the eggs are completely incorporated. The dough should be thick, but should fall slowly and steadily from the beaters when you lift them out of the bowl. If the dough is still clinging to the beaters, add the remaining egg and mix until incorporated.
      Using a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip, pipe the dough onto the baking sheet, in 2-inch diameter rounds or balls. Whisk the remaining egg with 1 1/2 teaspoons water. Brush the surface of the rounds with the egg wash to knock down the points (you may not use all the egg wash). Bake 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake until puffed up, and light golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Try not to open the oven door too often during the baking. Let cool on the baking sheet.
      To fill the cream puffs, place a pastry tip on your finger and poke a whole in the bottom of each puff. Whip the cream with the sugar and vanilla until stiff. Pipe whipped cream into each cream puff and chill until ready to serve, no more than 4 hours.
      Notes about the recipe: The moisture in the eggs turns to steam and puffs the batter to try to release itself. You can fill them with anything.

Yield: 30 servings
      Prep Time: 20 minutes
      Cook Time: 45 minutes
      Difficulty: Medium

4. 01-30-2003 09:51 AM #29
      Here's a pretty easy one....
      Chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto and gouda:
      As many chicken breasts as you want to make (preferably thick ones)
      1/4 pound of prosciutto for every 8-9 breast pieces
      Smoked gouda
      Seasonings (italian-type....oregano, seasoned salt, garlic, etc.)
      Grill or oven
      Preheat grill (or oven).
      Trim fat from chicken breasts.
      Cut prosciutto slices into two pieces each, for easier stuffing.
      Cut gouda into fairly thin slices, each about an inch or two long.
      With a sharp paring knife, cut into the side of each chicken breast, making an incision about two inches long. Continue cutting the inside to make a pocket for the filling, leaving the outside opening small (so the cheese doesn't leak out!). Make sure the "pocket" is as big as it can be, so you get good stuff with each bite.
      Stuff the inside of the chicken with as much prosciutto and gouda as you want.
      Close it up with a toothpick, put a little oil on the outside of the chicken, and season to your liking.
      Grill it up! Once they're done, the inside should be all good and melty, with the cheese combining with a little bit of the fat from the prosciutto, making a nice smoky, cheesy filling. Yum.
      One of the few chicken dishes that actually heats up pretty well in the microwave the day after!
      Course: Dinner
      Yield: 1 serving per chicken breast
      Prep Time: 15 - 20 minutes
      Cook Time: 10 - 15 minutes on the grill
      Difficulty: Easy/Medium

[Modified by BrandonC, 8:53 AM 1-30-2003]

5. 02-10-2003 10:27 PM #30
      The following is easy, tasty, hearty and a good use of leftover chicken. I truly honestly did not miss the fat in the nonfat half and half!
      Chicken & Chile Corn Chowder
      1 tablespoon olive oil
      1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
      1 tablespoon all purpose flour
      1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
      1 red pepper, chopped
      2 large poblano chilies, seeded, chopped
      1 14 3/4- to 15-ounce cans cream-style corn
      1 16-ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
      2 14-ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
      1 1/3 cup fat free half and half
      1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      3/4 lb shredded cooked chicken
      2 TB carrot-based habanero sauce (like Iguana or Marie Sharp's)(optional)
      Mix butter and flour in small bowl to blend; set aside.
      Chop onion and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion-pepper mixture and chilies; sauté until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Add creamed corn and next 4 ingredients; bring to boil. Reduce heat. Mix in butter-flour mixture and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and habanero sauce, if desired. Stir until chicken is heated thoroughly.
      Serve with warm crusty bread. Makes about 6 hearty helpings as a main dish.

6. 02-13-2003 06:46 PM #31
      salmon with lemon and rosemary (super easy)
      1 skinless salmon fillet (the frozen ones from costco work perfectly, about 7 oz)
      2 tbsp olive oil
      4 - 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary
      1 lemon
      2 cloves garlic
      cut the half lemon into rounds and put them on the bottom of a square pyrex dish. put the rosemary on top of the lemon. coat the salmon with olive oil, slap on top of the rosemary, and put salt on it. chop the garlic and put it on top of the salmon. use the other half of the lemon to squeeze the juice on top. cook in a 350° oven to desired doneness.
      i have a digital thermometer with a probe that i use to make sure i cook my meat to a "safe" temperature. normally, i take the salmon out when it's reached 140°, and then let it stand while it cooks a little more to 145°. the salmon tastes really good this way, and the house doesn't get stinky salmon smell.

[Modified by LangsamKafer, 2:14 PM 2-14-2003]

7. 02-19-2003 08:34 PM #32
      Cajuned Salmon with Yellow Sauce
      1 tbs Olive Oil
      1 lb Salmon Filet (skinless)
      1 tbs Tony Chachere’s Salt Seasoning
      1 tsp Chili Powder
      3 cups White Wine
      1 tbs Mustard
      .25 tsp Peppercorns
      3 tbs Heavy Whipping Cream
      1 lb Asparagus
      8 oz Linguini
      1 tbs Sundried Tomato Pesto (I prefer Texa-France)
      8 oz Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce (I prefer Classico)
      Half an avocado
      Wash and cut the salmon into halves. Coat stovetop skillet with olive oil and preheat to High. Lightly dust salmon with Tony Chachere’s and Chili powder. Sear both sides. Pour in white wine and cover. Bring wine to a boil and turn down heat to 50%. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove salmon.
      Mustard Sauce:
      Use the leftover wine. Turn up heat on stovetop skillet to high. Add mustard and mix thoroughly. Pour in heavy whipping cream. Reduce and add ground peppercorns. Whisk every once in awhile and remove when sauce is a little stiff and has an orange-ish appearance.
      Steamed Asparagus and Linguini:
      Steam asparagus. Cook and strain linguini. Heat roasted garlic tomato sauce in a saucepan. Add sundried tomato pesto to roasted garlic tomato sauce when it is warm. Mix pesto and tomato sauce with linguini.
      Pour mustard sauce on top of salmon. Slice avocado into ear-shaped peaces (you know what I mean?) and spoon them out of the avocado skin. Splay 3 pieces on top of each salmon filet. Add Linguini and Asparagus. (Sometimes I use the mustard sauce on the linguini.)
      Preparation Time: 5 – 10 minutes
      Cooking Time: 25 minutes
      Dinner: 2 servings
      I prefer Reisling!!

8. 02-23-2003 03:09 AM #33
      This isn't mine, but it's dang tasty. Thanks to Ming Tsai, host of FootTV's "East Meets West"
      Hunan Beef and Peppers (Pop) and Sesame Shao Bing (Chinese Pita)
      Copyright, 2000, Ming Tsai, All Rights Reserved
      1 pound flank steak, sliced very thinly against the grain, on the bias
      1 tablespoon garlic, minced
      1 tablespoon ginger, minced
      2 tablespoons soy sauce
      1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
      1/3 cup Shaoxing wine
      6 to 8 de-stemmed and crushed dry Thai bird chiles
      1 tablespoon corn starch
      1 red onion, sliced
      1 red bell pepper, sliced
      1 green bell pepper, sliced
      Peanut oil, to cook
      Shao Bing, recipe follows
      In a bowl, mix together steak, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, black pepper, wine, chiles, and cornstarch. Let marinate at least 2 hours, but preferably refrigerated overnight.
      Strain the beef and reserve marinade. In a very hot wok filled 1/4 with peanut oil, ‘blanch’ the beef for 5 seconds only. Set beef aside and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of oil.
      Stir-fry the onions and bell peppers for 3 minutes then add back the beef and the reserved marinade. Bring to a boil and reduce by 50 percent, until thickened.
      Stuff Hunan Beef in the Shao Bing and consume immediately.
      Suggested beverage: Loose teas and Hartley Ostini “Hitching Post” Pinot Noir 1997
      Shao Bing:
      2 cups vegetable oil
      2 cups wheat flour, plus 2 cups, plus 2 pounds, plus more for rolling
      1 teaspoon dry yeast
      1 teaspoon baking powder
      Water (some warm for the sponge, 1 cup boiling, 1 cup cold)
      1 teaspoon sugar
      1 cup sesame seeds
      Salt and white pepper
      Prepare a saucepan filled with the vegetable oil over medium heat. Slowly add 2 cups of the wheat flour, stirring slowly to ensure that the paste achieves a smooth consistency. Cook for about 5 minutes and then set aside to cool. This is the oil paste.
      In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in a little warm water. Add 2 cups of the wheat flour and the baking powder and combine. Add more warm water to achieve a dough consistency. Cover the dough with plastic and allow the dough to rise, 45 minutes.
      In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of boiling water with 2 pounds of the wheat flour. Mix until it has a slightly lumpy consistency and then add 1 or more cups of cold water. Continue mixing and kneading until the dough is soft and smooth. Cover the dough with plastic or cloth and let rest for 30 minutes.
      Add the warm water dough to the shao bing and knead until the doughs are incorporated. Cover the mixture and let sit for 15 minutes.
      On a well-floured surface, roll the dough into a flat, rectangular sheet, about 1/16 to 1/8-inch in thickness.
      Spread a generous layer of the oil paste over the surface of the dough. To prevent the oil paste from running off the dough, sprinkle lightly with flour.
      Starting from 1 edge, roll the dough until it becomes 1-inch in diameter. Be sure that the roll is tight. Cut the dough sheet so that the rolled dough may be removed when the diameter is 1 inch. Repeat the process until the entire sheet is transformed into rolls.
      Carefully, so as not to let the oil paste leak out, stretch out the rolls so that the diameter is reduced to 3/4 of an inch. Cut the stretched roll into 4-inch lengths.
      Place 1 of the rolls seam-side up and seal the end using a small rolling pin (this will prevent the oil paste from escaping). Fold the roll into thirds, so that the seam is covered. Then roll this tripled roll into a flat dough about 5-inches by 2-inches. Fold this piece into thirds. The stack should be about 2 by 3/4 inches thick. Flip the piece over so that the seam and fold are on the bottom. Cover and set aside. Repeat the process for the remaining rolls.
      Spread the sesame seeds onto a clean work surface. Flip the square with the smooth face over, onto the sesame seeds. Next, the square may be rolled into either a round or rectangular shape. The round is used in Northern China while the rectangular is common in the South. Rolling presses the sesame seeds into the face of the Shao Bing.
      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the Shao Bing, sesame seed side down, onto a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and then flip and bake for another 5 minutes to brown the bottom.
      The uncooked Shao Bing may be frozen for future use. Place the Shao Bing between layers of waxed paper to prevent them from sticking to each other.
      Note: Salt may be added at any time before the dough is rolled. In Northern China, it is common to dust ground Szechuan peppercorns and salt over the sheet before the oil paste is spread. In addition, seeds other than sesame may be used. The key is to add them to the smooth surface so that the seeds will stick.
      Using scissors as one does in China, cut open the Shao Bing, like you would a pita bread pocket.
      Yield: 4 servings
      Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
      Cook Time: 30 minutes

9. 02-23-2003 05:35 AM #34
      That looks like a RIDICULOUS amount of Thai chilis for one pound of flank steak. From what I understand, they are VERY hot. Are you sure that's right!?

10. 02-23-2003 04:31 PM #35
      That looks like a RIDICULOUS amount of Thai chilis for one pound of flank steak. From what I understand, they are VERY hot. Are you sure that's right!?
      Yeah, it is. I've made it. It is VERY hot but also VERY good.

11. 03-04-2003 06:16 PM #36
      And back to the top for more food! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

12. 03-09-2003 02:46 AM #37
      Ok, I've been woking it up lately. It's addictive. This is simple and damn tasty:
      Lux-Nova's Super Tasty Shrimp Stir-Fry Pitas:
      4-6 warm pitas (depending on size)
      12-16 shelled, tailed and diced pre-cooked shrimp
      4 tablespoons dark sesame oil
      2 heaping handfulls sprouts
      3 diced scallions
      1 medium sized carrot, diced
      1/4 medium sized eggplant, diced
      1 tablespoon crushed peanuts
      1 teaspoon Emeril's Asian Essence (this shizzat is great)
      2 tablespoon sesame seeds
      2 tablespoons lite soy sauce (Kikkoman, foo!)
      In a hot wok (heat all the way up, baby, this is stir fry), add the sesame oil. Toss the wet, diced shrimp in the sesame seeds until coated. Carefully add the shrimp to the wok (wet food + hot oil equals splatter). Add Asian Essence while stirring/tossing the shrimp. After 1-2 minutes, take off heat and add vegetables and soy sauce. Return to heat and stir for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and place inside warm pitas.
      Serves 2-3 (LuxNova sized portions) or 4-6 (everyone else).
      Eat. Enjoy.
      Best served with Japanese beer-Kirin Lager (preffered) or Sapporo.

13. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:29 AM #38
      I'll post the reccipes I've typed up over the years, starting with:
      Mom’s Spaghetti Sauce
      3 onions, chopped
      6 large cloves garlic, minced
      1/3 c. olive oil
      1-1/2 lb. pork (country-style spare ribs … that is, boneless ribs)
      5 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes in tomato puree (buy cans of several different brands, to balance thick and thin brands)
      1 tbsp. Basil
      1 tbsp. oregano
      1 tbsp. Parsley
      2 or 3 bay leaves
      1/2 tsp. red pepper (More, to taste. We’ve never added more.)
      2 c. boiling water
      2 cubes beef bullion or equivalent
      1 c. flavored breadcrumbs
      3 lb. ground beef
      3 eggs
      1/2 c. grated cheese

Part A - sauce stock
      Heat oil in a large (at least 12 quart) pot. Sauté onions. At the very end, add garlic. Scoop out onions and garlic, and retain oil in the pot.
      Cook pork in the oil until very brown. Add cooked onions and garlic. Add tomato puree and spices. Add 1/2 tsp. red pepper to start (add more, to taste).
      Cook 1 1/2 hr. on medium-low heat. Watch and stir, so it doesn’t burn.
      Part B - meatballs
      Dissolve bullion in water. Add breadcrumbs, mix, and let stand. Mix ground beef, eggs, and grated cheese into the above mixture. This is easiest to do this in a separate pot with a wire-type potato masher.
      Remove a portion of the meatball mixture, brown in a pan, and add to sauce.
      Roll meatballs the size of golfballs. Bake at 400 °F on a greased sheet for 1/2 hr., turning occasionally. Add to sauce. (Let Paul scrape and eat stuff burned onto pans.)
      If needed, add can of tomato paste to thicken sauce or crushed tomatoes to thin. (Never had to do, if 5 or so different cans of crushed tomatoes are used.)
      Remove meatballs and pork from the sauce after cooking. Freeze meatballs and sauce separately. (Pork makes great sandwiches on steak rolls!).

14. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:30 AM #39
      24-Hour Slaw
      (from Best of the Best New York Cookbook)

“Do not serve until the next day.” This will keep for at least two weeks!
      1 medium head cabbage
      1 small onion, chopped fine
      1 green pepper, chopped
      1 carrot shredded
      ½ cup sugar
      Combine cabbage with onion, green pepper, and carrot. Sprinkle ½ cup sugar over top of mixed ingredients

1 cup vinegar
      ½ cup oil
      1 tsp. salt
      1 cup sugar
      1 tsp. prepared mustard
      1 tsp. celery salt
      1/8 tsp pepper
      Combine ingredients and boil 3 minutes. Add to cabbage mixture. Refrigerate 24 hours, then serve.

15. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:31 AM #40
      Rice and Corn Scallop
      (from my sister)
      3 tbsp.butter
      1 tbsp.chopped onion
      3 tbsp. Flour
      1 c. milk
      1 c. cooked rice
      8-oz. can whole kernel corn
      salt, pepper, paprika
      1/2 c. diced cheddar cheese
      minced parsley
      Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion. Cook for a few minutes. Stir in flour. Off heat, stir in milk, keeping smooth. Cook, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Stir in rice, corn, salt, and pepper.
      Turn into an ungreased 1-qt. Casserole. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven about 20 minutes. Sprinkle edges with parsley.

Baked Corn with Sour Cream
      (from Southern Living 1986 Annual Recipes)
      2 tbsp. chopped onion
      2 tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
      2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
      1, 8-oz. carton sour cream
      2, 12-oz. cans shoe peg corn, drained
      1/4 tsp. salt
      6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
      Saute onion in butter in a large skillet until tender. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute over low heat, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in sour cream, corn, and salt; cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Stir in half the bacon; pour corn mixture into a greased, shallow, 2-quart casserole. Sprinkle remaining bacon over top. Bake at 350-degrees for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.

16. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:32 AM #41
      Crunchy Pea Salad
      From Taste of Home, June/July 1998

1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
      1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
      1 cup thinly sliced celery
      1/2 cup sliced green onions
      1/4/ cup mayonnaise
      1/4 cup sour cream
      1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt, optional
      In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and seasoned salt if desired; mix well. Add to pea mixture; toss to coat. Chill until serving.
      Yield: 8 servings.
      Nutritional Analysis: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with fat-free mayonnaise and nonfat sour cream and without seasoned salt equals 60 calories, 116 mg sodium,1 mg cholesterol, 12 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, trace fat.
      Diabetic exchange: 1 starch

17. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:33 AM #42
      This one is VERY good.
      Cold Tomato Soup or Gazpacho
      As adapted from "The Joy of Cooking." Chilled vegetable soup with fresh herbs.
      Peel and seed:
      2 large ripe tomatoes
      Use firm, large tomatoes, and peel with a vegetable peeler. Peel over a large bowl that will be used for the completed soup to catch any juice. Then halve and cut into wedges. Place a strainer over the bowl, and push the seeds and pulp into the strainer. Push juice from pulp into bowl.
      Seed, remove and discard the membrane from, and cut in half:
      1 large sweet, red pepper
      Peel and cut in half:
      1 sweet Spanish onion
      Peel, cut in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to remove and discard the seeds from:
      1 cucumber
      Divide all vegetables in half. Dice half and place in large bowl.
      Add the following to the bowl:
      1 clove minced garlic
      1/2 cup fresh mixed, minced herbs: basil, chives, chervil, parsley, and tarragon
      1/3 cup olive oil
      3 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
      1-1/2 teaspoons salt. More, if needed
      1/2 teaspoon paprika
      [I use minced garlic from the fridge. Didn’t use chervil. Use less, if using dried herbs.]
      Cut the other half of the vegetables into pieces and place in a blender. Add 1-cup cold water. Puree. Add to bowl. Rinse blender an additional 2-cups cold water and add to the bowl. Stir the finished soup well and place in the fridge. Chill the soup for 4 hours or more before serving. Also place serving bowls in the refrigerator or freezer.
      To serve, place in each bowl:
      1 ice cube
      1 tablespoon chopped parsley
      Stir the soup, ladle into the bowls, and sprinkle on top with:
      crushed croutons
      Edit: Hey, we moved to MA. They have chervil in the supermarket!

Modified by Cooper at 10:53 PM 9-13-2003

18. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:33 AM #43
      Italian Slaw
      1 medium head cabbage (2½ to 3 lbs.)
      1 large onion
      ½ cup sugar
      1 cup vinegar
      ¾ cup salad oil (I use olive oil)
      2 tsp. sugar
      1 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. dry mustard
      1 tsp. celery seed
      Shred the cabbage and place in a bowl in layers alternating with minced onion. Sprinkle with sugar. Bring remaining ingredients to a boil in a saucepan. Pour hot mixture over cabbage. Cover and let stand for 4-6 hours or refrigerate. Stir a few times to mix ingredients while marinating. Keeps well for 2-3 weeks.

19. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:34 AM #44
      Korean Beef
      6 scallions, finely chopped
      5 large cloves garlic, crushed
      1/2 cup dark soy sauce
      2 tablespoons vegetable oil
      2 tablespoons brown sugar
      2 tablespoons sake or dry sherry
      2 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
      freshly ground pepper
      2 pounds boneless sirloin, chuck, or flank steak (cut 1 to 2 inches thick), sliced 1/4-inch thick across grain. For parties cut into bite-sized pieces.
      Combine all ingredients into a shallow pan and mix. Add meat and mix. Marinade at least one hour. Grill meat to desired doneness, or cook cubes in a wok or skillet.
      Place the meat in the freezer for one hour to make cutting into cubes easier. Toasted white sesame seeds are in the supermarket’s Chinese food section. Use any wine really. Cook the cubes in portions in the wok of skillet. Separate the cooked meat and strain the liquid that remains. The strained scallions are added to the cooked meat.
      For a sauce: Add the liquid back to the wok after the last batch, and add a little corn starch/water mix and boil until it thickens. Pour over meat and mix.
      As an appetizer at parties: just put out with toothpicks.
      For dinner: serve over rice, egg noodles, etc.
      Edit: As posted below, use a reduced-sodium (salt) soy sauce if you'll thicken the marinade into a sauce to pour over the meat as a dinner entre.

Modified by Cooper at 10:55 PM 9-13-2003

20. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:40 AM #45
      Lemon Mousse
      Chef Tell’s Manor House
      1800 River Road
      Upper Black Eddy, PA 18972

1/2 cup lemon juice
      1 tsp. grated lemon peel
      1/2 cup sugar
      4 egg yolks, beaten
      1 cup heavy cream, whipped

Heat the lemon juice, lemon peel, sugar, and egg yolks together in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Cool and fold in the whipped cream. Chill before serving.

I see you!

Note: We were just there for Sunday brunch. Chef Tell always comes around to greet people and tell jokes. We said that his mousse was more lemony tart and creamier. My wife said that she used dried lemon peel. His reply was, "does my recipe SAY to use dried lemon peel?" If you use dried lemon peel, he suggested letting it sit in the lemon juice a bit to rehydrate.
      One joke that week:
      I have a friend that got a GREAT, new color printer. He printed up thousands of bills. The problem was that they were $18 dollar bills. He asked a friend what he should do with them, and the friend said to try to use them in West Virginia. They'd never know the difference.
      So, he takes all the money to West Virgina, goes into a shop, and asks if they can change $18 dollar bills.
      "We sure can. No problem! Would you like two nines or three sixes?"

Modified by Cooper at 6:36 PM 9-9-2003

21. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:41 AM #46
      Onion Soup
      Adapted from Joy of Cooking.
      9 c. sliced onions
      6 tbsp. butter or margarine
      12 c. beef broth
      1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
      French bread
      Skim mozzarella cheese (part skim, if possible)
      Sauté onions in a large pot until soft and translucent. Add beef broth and pepper. Bring to boil, and simmer for 1/2 hour to rehydrate onions with broth. Slice bread into thick pieces, enough to completely cover each serving. Toast bread very well. Add soup to crocks, allowing room for bread. Float slices bread in each crock. Generously lay cheese slices across bread to edge of crocks. Cheese should be resting on the edge of crocks so that it floats on the bread and does not sink (this also gives the cheese that you can peel off the sides). Place under broiler until cheese is melted and browns a little. Enjoy!
      Add more onions than 9 cups, if preferred. Keep in mind that the toasted bread will absorb some broth.
      Swanson sells beef broth in 1-qt. cardboard cartons. Three cartons is 12 cups. http://www.swansonbroth.com/products....asp?pid=10881
      Onion soup crocks are readily available: http://www.kitchenkapers.com/aconsoupcroc.html.

Modified by Cooper at 10:26 AM 10-5-2003

22. Senior Member
      03-10-2003 11:41 AM #47
      Ringmaster’s Secret Chicken
      4 boneless chicken breasts (flattened slightly, if desired)
      1 cup sour cream
      1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
      1/2 tsp. red hot sauce
      1/8 tsp. garlic salt
      1-1/2 tsp. paprika
      1 tsp. salt
      1 cup bread crumbs
      Mix together sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic salt, paprika, and salt. Place chicken breasts in this mixture and marinate overnight.
      Remove chicken, coat with bread crumbs, and arrange in a single later in a baking dish. Cover dish and place in refrigerator for 1 –1/2 hour.
      Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes (less if chicken is flattened).

Queentucky, AZ
      05Cav, 09 Escape Hybrid, one crazy Bobber
      03-10-2003 01:00 PM #48
      Sid's Chork Chili
      1 BIG POT
      1lb Venison/Pork/Beef- small cubes or 'chili' cut(or whatever combination)
      1lb Chicken- 'chili' cut or shredded from boneless/skinless breasts
      1 can Bush's ChiliMagic chili starter- your favourite flavor
      1 can(14.5oz) Del Monte Fresh cut diced Tomatoes w/ green peppers & onions--Drained
      1 can(15oz) Joan of Arc Frijoles Negroes--Drained
      1 can(15oz) Dark red Kidney Beans--Drained
      1 can(16oz) ROSARITA Traditional Refried Beans(If you can't get Rosarita, forget the whole thing)
      -Brown the meats you choose(together if you can), venison is AWESOME, but it's called chork because I usually make it with chicken & pork
      -Flavor meats however you like, I do garlic, cayanne pepper and chili powder, S&P
      -Drain -most- of the fluid off the meats, all but 2 or 3 tablespoons worth
      -Add cans into meats in order of appearance, stirring and heating each before adding the next can(don't know if this makes a difference, but it sounds Emerilish)
      -Heat it all up until it's bubbling a little, KEEP stirring it so it doesn't burn to the pot and you'll be able to thicken it nicely in a little time. Everybody I make it for is in such a hurry to eat it, I have to usually add flour to thicken it
      -Throw some shredded cheese on top when you serve it...
      ================================================== ===

Rock-n-Roll Chocolate Milk
      Makes 1.5 servings-
      Fill your favourite choco milk glass and dump it in the blender
      Fill the same glass halfway with Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
      Toss 3 or 4 Oreos in
      Bailey's to taste.
      Puree that bad boy for at least 15-20 seconds, turning the blender on & off a few times and shaking it around and stuff. The more you shake and on & off it. the bigger head it gets
      Pour in your glass and enjoy!
      For the kids: I leave out the Bailey's and add a few tablespoons of chocolate Ovaltine. They LOVE it. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]

Don't even know what to call this one:
      1 lb Meat. I used pork, gonna try it with beef & chicken
      -cut up for stir fry
      2-3 tblsp Sesame Oil, like they use in Asian recipes.
      2-3 tblsp BBQ sauce(I use Jim Beam brand BBQ)
      2-3 tblsp Mustard(regular old 'hot dog' stuff)
      2 cups+/- Water
      Enough uncooked pasta for two
      S&P, garlic powder, oregano to taste.
      Ok, this goes down a lot like Hamburger Helper... Easy.
      Start browning the meat in yer pan at medium temp(5 out of 10)
      When it starts gaining some colour, add the Sesame oil, BBQ sauce and mustard, stirring well between each to coat the meat well
      Let it get hot a bit, then taste it to see if you want to add more of one thing or another.
      Add the garlic and stuff now, too, so the meat can soak it up
      Continue cookin' til it's all brown and yummy lookin'. Leave the meat in the pot
      Dump in the water, crank up the heat and bring 'er to a boil, then add the pasta(break long spaghetti in half) and let it come back to a boil
      Let it have a good, hard, violent boil for a few, then turn the heat down and let the goo simmer til the pasta is cooked and there is just a little bit of what is going to amount to 'sauce' left in the bottom of the pan. You may have to adjust the heat to get the pasta cooked in the right time.
      REMEMBER TO STIR so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot...
      You can even add water, then let it boil down to finish cooking the pasta.
      Let it set for a few, the 'sauce' will thicken up, stir it up and

That's all I could find Enjoy...

24. 03-13-2003 02:57 PM #49
      Sea Scallops & Chorizo (Serves 4)
      1 tbls oilve oil
      1 cup diced yellow onion
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1/2 lb chorizo sausage, diced (usually about 1 sausage)
      1lb sea scallops
      6-8 tbls of heavy cream
      1. cook onion, garlic and chorizo in frying pan on medium with olive oil unitl onions are soft and chorizo is cooked (4-5minutes)
      2. add sea scallops and cook through. (3-6 minutes, depending on size)
      3. reduce heat and add heavy cream to the pan. simmer 2 minutes.
      serve over rice.
      i made this up the other day, and everyone seemed to like it. its a bit spicy from the sausage, and has a great flavor. takes like 15 minutes to make too

[Modified by corduroy79, 1:58 PM 3-13-2003]

25. Banned
      03-15-2003 03:41 PM #50
      My contribution: Copied from beloved member Washrack Harry from the Bayliner Owners Club...
      Crab Chowder

Ok, as requested by attendees of the first annual international BOC get together (and bear with me, it's my first ever attempt at writing a recipe), here's what I think I did as I never measure anything or make the same thing the same way twice.
      4 or 5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
      1 large carrot finely chopped
      2 stalks of celery finely chopped
      1 medium sized sweet onoin diced
      1.5 cans Nibblets corn
      1 quart half and half
      1 can chicken stock or 2 tbs chicken boulion and a cup or two of water
      1 or 2 tsb butter(as much as your arteries can take)
      Brousards(sp) Cajun seasoning (as much as you can take)
      As much crab as you can con anybody out of (you sure as heck can't afford to buy as much crab as we had in ours unless you have a lot more money than I do)
      Heat a large soup pot over a medium low heat and toss in the butter and garlic. Allow the garlic to mellow for about 2 or 3 minutes then add the celery, carrots and onion. Add the cajun spice (I add enough to make the vegies a little too salty) and saute for about 10 minutes, they should be soft by now, onoins will be almost clear. Add the stock or boulion mixture and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes. While that's happenning make yourself a drink (rum punch maybe?) and go outside and make sure some of the crab that's being shelled is preserved for the chowder and not devoured by the people 'helping'. Add the corn with the juice to the mixture and let it warm through. Add the half and half, increase the temp to medium and bring almost to a boil. Taste for proper seasoning(adjust with additional boulion or cajun spice or whatever suits you) and thicken with corn starch and water(premixed to aviod lumps). When it's thick enough add the crab and let it warm through (3 or 4 minutes) and serve.

Plenty more unique recipies here:

[Modified by mtrainVR6, 1:42 PM 3-15-2003]

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast