Chicken Chili

1lb ground chicken (or turkey), browned and drained
      3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
      2 (15 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans
      1 (15 oz.) can black beans
      1 large diced onion
      spoon of sugar
      pepper to taste

Simmer in crock-pot (high for <8 hrs, med, for >8 hrs)

02-08-2004 11:42 PM #107
      tortellini ( i have it everyday)

boil some water , test the temperature w/ your finger.. ( i advise doing the "palm" test...laying your hand on top of the boiling water)

make sure its boiling

get a bag of tortellini

get scissors and cut a corner of the bag off

tilt the bag downward at a 45 degree angle and empty contents of the bag into boiling hot water making sure you splash yourself

after this is completed, add a pinch of salt and a squirt of olive oil

boil until they rise and pick the pot up and trip and fall as you are going to the sink

find a strainer and separate the pasta from the water ( difficult process )

empty wet pasta into a white porcelain bowl and let cool for 30 secs

pour gobs of red tomato sauce on the tortellini , "accidentally" spilling some of the tomato sauce on the floor for sparky to eat

after the sauce is "applied" ..get a handful of oregano and throw it on the pasta while saying "Bam!" all at the same time

grab your fav beverage and enjoy your tasty Italian treat

ciao!

Modified by Taddd at 11:43 PM 2-8-2004

3. 02-09-2004 08:50 PM #108
      very orginal recipe...i will have to try it sometime!

4. 02-12-2004 11:02 PM #109
      Quote, originally posted by Sunil »
      This is a variation on the tandoori chicken recipe I posted above. I just made it up this weekend. It's a bit easier, is quick to prepare, and holy crap is it good for leftovers.

I just made this tonight. Easy, chicken turns out really tender and really tasty over Jasmine rice. However, I didn't use nearly as much oil (more like 1 TB of olive oil) and I used nonfat yogurt and reduced fat sour cream. The juice in the pan tasted good, but was rather runny - was this from the lowerfat dairy products, or is that just what happens? I will still make it again (and this would be really good in pita pockets). I'll probably also try it with lamb.

02-13-2004 08:32 AM #110
      Quote, originally posted by mgratzer »

I just made this tonight. Easy, chicken turns out really tender and really tasty over Jasmine rice. However, I didn't use nearly as much oil (more like 1 TB of olive oil) and I used nonfat yogurt and reduced fat sour cream. The juice in the pan tasted good, but was rather runny - was this from the lowerfat dairy products, or is that just what happens? I will still make it again (and this would be really good in pita pockets). I'll probably also try it with lamb.

I'm pretty sure it is due to the lowfat dairy products. I have made this with nonfat yoghurt, with just a little sour cream, and it always turned out too runny for my tastes.

If you want to take away the runnyness, try adding some flour to the chicken when you mix the marinade. That should soak up the water, and will give the chicken a nice texture.

I only use lowfat dairy when I'm going to grill. Then the runnyness doesn't matter much. Glad you liked it! Tell me how the lamb turns out!

PS - your Paprikas Csirke (sp?) was freakin' awesome. My GF makes great potato dumplings, and this was an ideal sauce. Thanks! Malzeit.

Ryder Hesjedal: "If you draw your sword and then drop it, you die."

6. 04-19-2004 04:13 PM #111
      Alright, I know that this one might turn some folks off, but it is a fairly old-fashioned dish that makes a good supper. It does not take very long to prepare (30 minutes or so), and it combines several of my favorite ingredients: bacon, chicken liver, mushrooms, garlic, onions, and sour cream.

Chicken Livers and Bacon Stroganoff

3 tablespoons olive oil (or less; see below)
      1 pound chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed
      6-8 slices bacon
      2 cups chopped onion
      4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (or more if desired)
      1 tablespoon paprika
      1/3 cup dry sherry (or apple juice)
      1½ cups sour cream
      2 cloves garlic, finely minced, or equivalent
      salt and pepper to taste
      1 (12-ounce) package medium egg noodles

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
      2. While the noodles are getting started, cook the bacon in a large heavy skillet until tender. Remove bacon from skillet leaving the grease in the skillet if desired. In the same skillet have sufficient bacon grease and/or olive oil to make about 3 tablespoons. Add onions, and cook over medium heat, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, and continue cooking for a few minutes, until starting to brown. Add the chicken livers and garlic; season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Add the bacon, broken/cut into small pieces back to the skillet, and cook all these ingredients for 8 to 10 minutes, until livers are nicely browned on the outside, but still slightly pink in the center. Do not overcook because the livers will become tough and leathery.
      3. Remove the skillet from the heat, and gradually whisk in the sherry or apple juice, then the sour cream until well blended. Serve over hot egg noodles.

Makes 6 servings

7. 05-10-2004 06:25 PM #112
      Here's one I make often. Very easy and incredibly tasty! I suggest making this in a flat pan, Foreman grill or a grill pan, as it will most likely fall through the cracks on an open grill. Recipe adapted from Epicurious.

Salmon Burgers

Burger ingredients:
      1 lb salmon, skinned, deboned and finely minced
      2 TB panko bread crumbs (found in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets)
      2 tsp finely minced fresh ginger
      1.5 TB whole grain mustard
      2 TB soy sauce

Sauce ingredients:
      1 tsp fresh ginger
      1.5 TB whole grain mustard
      2 TB soy sauce
      3 TB mayonnaise

In a large bowl, mix burger ingredients. Form into 3 large patties or 4 small patties, depending on preference. Heat 1TB vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; cook patties 4-6 minutes per side (depending on size) or until golden brown.

While patties are cooking, mix sauce ingredients.

Serve salmon burgers on a toasted whole grain hamburger bun with fresh spinach, tomato, thinly sliced sweet onion and a heaping tablespoon of sauce ingredients.

8. 05-14-2004 08:21 PM #113
      Quote, originally posted by StarrDLuX »
      We are doing 1 new dinner & 1 new dessert in our house per week... Here was my first dinner.

4 cod filets
      French Beans (enough for 4)
      10 thin strips of pancetta
      Big handful of Pine Nuts
      2 lemons, quartered
      Olive Oil
      Salt & Pepper

Place french beans in the bottom of a roasting pan in a single layer. Drizzle w/ olive oil & season w/ S&P.

Place cod on top of beans

Place pancetta on top of cod & through the beans

Place lemon wedges throughout

Sprinkle pine nuts over all

Bake for 15 minutes or so at 425.

OMG - This was SO good.

I made this last night. Except, I was dumb and bought prosciutto instead of pancetta.

However, the green beans were really tasty, and the lemons were unbelievable once roasted like that. The cod took longer than 20 minutes, and I'm not so sure I was very fond of it, it was my first time eating cod plain like this.

Overall, it was good, healthy, easy and fast - what more can you want? I'll try this again with halibut and real pancetta next time.

9. Banned
      08-10-2004 01:55 AM #114
      Ok, heres my contribution. Feel free to whore it out, cause its GOOD!

Not sure of the name of it - My Mom calls it Neapolitan Pie, I've heard it called Banana Split Pie....Whatever floats your boat....

1 jar of hot fudge sauce
      1 row of Oreo or other "sandwich" cookie
      3 tablespoons buttah
      1 pint of your favorite strawberry ice cream
      1 pint of your favorite chocolate ice cream
      1 pint of your favorite vanilla ice cream
      4 (ish) ripe yellow bananas
      Whipped cream
      If you like, some chopped walnuts
      Maraschino cherries

Set oven to 350F
      Crush up the cookies into really small bits (think: sand)
      Now, you need a pan....The best ones are the kind that have the "belt buckle" mechanism (not sure of the name of it). I use a 9x3
      Melt butter
      In your pan mix the butter and cookie crumbs til its all even. Now to get dirty...Press the mixture into a crust shape with your hand.
      Bake for 15 min.
      Put it in the freezer for an episode of Seinfeld (30min)
      In the same 30min put all of the ice cream into the refrigerator, so it gets a little soft
      What you do now is up to you....Take one of the ice creams and spread it over the crust (I do the strawberry first)
      Back into the freezer for about 40min. Let the ice cream get firm
      Meanwhile slice the bananas into 1/2 inch slices (or in half length wise - up to you)
      Okay - if your first layer of ice cream is frozen - proceed. If not go to jail.....Take your hot fudge and pour it evenly over the layer of ice cream
      Place the bananas on top of the fudge
      Cover and freeze for one hour.
      Take your next ice cream and spread it over the fudge and bananas
      Next - you guessed it freeze for 20min or til ice cream is firm
      Ready for the finale? Me too! Take the last pint of ice cream and spread it over the previous layer of ice cream.
      Freeze for 2-3hrs (you could watch Mad Max...)

Garnish with the whipped cream, walnuts, and cherries.

Now when you slice this bad boy up, put your knife in some hot water so it goes a lil easier.

Substitutions Strawberry sauce in place of hot fudge sauce....Any of your other favorite ice creams - try to keep it simple though - ice cream with a lot of "extras" is a pain to work with.

ENJOY!

10. 08-29-2004 06:25 PM #115
      This is the single weirdest recipe I've ever tried, but it turns out excellent cookies. I suspect you could use any flavoring with lemon, maple, butter rum and plain vanilla coming to the top of my list.

Ingredients:
      3 eggs
      1 C sugar
      1/4 tsp anise oil
      1 1/2 C flour

Instructions:
      Beat eggs and sugar for 30 minutes; seriously. Mix in anise oil and flour. Drop by rounded teaspoon on lightly greased cookie sheets. Let sit uncovered at room temperature overnight; seriously. Back at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Golf 2L
      10-12-2004 12:02 PM #116
      Ok, so there aren't many tofu recipes yet so here's one:

Saigon Sizzle Tofu

Main Ingredients:
      1-2 Tbsp Peanut oil (can substitute other wok cooking oils - just not Olive Oil!)
      1 pkg Firm or Extra-Firm Tofu (family size)
      2 medium Zucchini*
      1 8oz pkg Mushrooms*
      5-6 Green Onions (scallions)
      1-2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
      Garlic Salt
      Ground Pepper
      Ground Ginger

Sauce Options:
      Either buy House Of Tsang - Saigon Sizzle Stir Fry sauce
      - or -
      make your own:
      2 hot peppers of your choice (chili, jalapeno or what-have-you)
      1 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
      1-2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
      more Ground Ginger (~1/2 tsp)
      more Garlic Salt/Powder (~1/2 tsp)

Instructions:
      Press Tofu to remove excess liquid. Cut Tofu into 1/2 inch (2 cm) squares. Slice whole mushrooms - try to get about five slices per mushroom. Cut Zucchini in half length-wise and then slice thinly. Chop green onions.
      Add Peanut Oil to a large wok over medium-high heat. Add Tofu before oil is hot to avoid splatters. Brown Tofu while stirring continuously to avoid burning/sticking. For those who haven't cooked Tofu like this before, it is done when the outside is firm and light brown in color (colour) - this should take between 10 and 15 minutes. It is normal for it to stick a little bit and you may loose a few "layers" while stirring.
      Once the Tofu is brown, sprinkle with Ginger, Garlic Salt and Ground Pepper to taste (I use a lot of all three). Add the Soy Sauce. Now add the Green Onions and, if you are making your own sauce, the hot peppers (minced), then the Mushrooms and Zucchini. If all the oil has cooked off, add some more to prevent sticking. Let the Mushrooms and Zucchini cook until they are both soft. The Zucchini is over-done when it becomes transparent/limp.
      Now lower the heat to medium-low and add either the Saigon Sizzle Sauce or the aforementioned make your-own-sauce ingredients.
      Simmer for another 2-3 minutes and then serve over rice (preferably Jasmine or other Oriental rice).

This will serve 3-4 depending on side dishes (egg rolls, soup... cheese curds??(just kidding - that would be gross)).

* You can really use any vegetables you want: bok choi, broccoli, green or red bell peppers, bamboo chutes, asparagus are all good - whatever you are in the mood for. You can also use fresh Garlic and Ginger Root instead of the ground varieties

Modified by mzd at 11:04 AM 10-12-2004

12. 12-01-2004 11:31 PM #117
      Quote, originally posted by Preppy »
      This is super yum... (and really easy to make)

2 Cups Penne Rrggate pasta
      1/2 Cup Tomato sauce
      2 Cups Grated cheddar cheese
      1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan
      2 Cups Milk
      1/4 Cup Butter
      2 Tbsp Flour
      1 Small tomato
      1 Small clove garlic
      2 Tsp Oregano
      1 Tsp Salt
      1 Tsp Pepper
      Tobasco Sauce and Worchesteshire Sauce to taste (a couple of drops).

Melt butter and add flour, stirring out lumps.
      Slowly add milk, stirring frequently. Continue stirring until thinkened.
      Add grated cheese, stir until melted.
      Add spices and tobasco and worchesteshire.
      Add tomato sauce and garlic. Mix thoroughly.

In a baking dish, combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Mix through. Slice tomato and place (3-4) slices on top of pasta (don't cover it all). Sprinkle surface with grated parmesan.

Bake @ 350F for 30 min.

I've just tried this.. it's in the oven right now, so i'll let you guys know how it comes out

13. 12-01-2004 11:37 PM #118
      Quote, originally posted by redsox »
      Ok, heres my contribution. Feel free to whore it out, cause its GOOD!

Not sure of the name of it - My Mom calls it Neapolitan Pie, I've heard it called Banana Split Pie....Whatever floats your boat....

1 jar of hot fudge sauce
      1 row of Oreo or other "sandwich" cookie
      3 tablespoons buttah
      1 pint of your favorite strawberry ice cream
      1 pint of your favorite chocolate ice cream
      1 pint of your favorite vanilla ice cream
      4 (ish) ripe yellow bananas
      Whipped cream
      If you like, some chopped walnuts
      Maraschino cherries

Set oven to 350F
      Crush up the cookies into really small bits (think: sand)
      Now, you need a pan....The best ones are the kind that have the "belt buckle" mechanism (not sure of the name of it). I use a 9x3
      Melt butter
      In your pan mix the butter and cookie crumbs til its all even. Now to get dirty...Press the mixture into a crust shape with your hand.
      Bake for 15 min.
      Put it in the freezer for an episode of Seinfeld (30min)
      In the same 30min put all of the ice cream into the refrigerator, so it gets a little soft
      What you do now is up to you....Take one of the ice creams and spread it over the crust (I do the strawberry first)
      Back into the freezer for about 40min. Let the ice cream get firm
      Meanwhile slice the bananas into 1/2 inch slices (or in half length wise - up to you)
      Okay - if your first layer of ice cream is frozen - proceed. If not go to jail.....Take your hot fudge and pour it evenly over the layer of ice cream
      Place the bananas on top of the fudge
      Cover and freeze for one hour.
      Take your next ice cream and spread it over the fudge and bananas
      Next - you guessed it freeze for 20min or til ice cream is firm
      Ready for the finale? Me too! Take the last pint of ice cream and spread it over the previous layer of ice cream.
      Freeze for 2-3hrs (you could watch Mad Max...)

Garnish with the whipped cream, walnuts, and cherries.

Now when you slice this bad boy up, put your knife in some hot water so it goes a lil easier.

Substitutions Strawberry sauce in place of hot fudge sauce....Any of your other favorite ice creams - try to keep it simple though - ice cream with a lot of "extras" is a pain to work with.

ENJOY!

Made this for desert BTW.. so hopefully that comes out good too.. man.. im having a vortex dinner.. Kinda like thos ghetto TV dinners

14. Senior Member
      12-11-2004 07:04 PM #119
      Two recipes from Thanksgiving ...

This was modified from a recipe in the newspaper the week before:

Country Sausage and Corn Bread Stuffing

1 pound pork sausage meat
      4 tablespoons butter or margarine
      3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
      1 large onion (12 ounces), coarsely chopped
      1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
      14½-ounce can chicken broth or 1¾ cups homemade chicken broth
      ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
      ¾ cup water
      16-ounce package corn bread stuffing mix (Pepperidge Farm makes one)
      ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat until very hot. Add sausage meat and cook, breaking up sausage with side of spoon, until browned, about 10 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer sausage to large bowl. Discard all but 2 tablespoons sausage drippings.

Add butter or margarine, celery, onion and red pepper to the pot.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, black pepper and water. Heat to boiling, stirring until browned bits are loosened from bottom of pot.

Add vegetable mixture, corn bread stuffing mix, and parsley to sausage in bowl; stir to combine well. The recipe calls for 14-oz. stuffing mix. The Pepepridge farm bag is 16 oz. I added it all, then added boiling water with stirring to get the consistency I wanted.

Use to stuff turkey; or, to serve in baking dish, spoon stuffing into greased 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Cover with foil.

Makes about 12 cups stuffing.

Nutrition information per ½ cup stuffing: about 137 cal., 4 g pro., 15 g carbo., 7 g total fat (2 g saturated), 13 mg chol., 414 mg sodium.

THIS IS VERY, VERY GOOD AND VERY EASY (everyone that tries it wants the recipe):

Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Caramelized Onion and Bacon

Adapted from “Tish’s recipe on http://www.recipezaar.com.

2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into halves or thirds
      2 tsp. tablespoons olive oil
      4 oz. diced bacon
      1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
      1 tsp. red wine vinegar
      ¼ c. cream cheese (2 oz.)
      ¾ tsp. teaspoon salt
      ¼ tsp. teaspoon ground pepper

1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, add peeled sweet potatoes.

2. In a non-stick wok, start to cook the diced bacon with the olive oil.

3. When the bacon begins to brown, add the diced onion and cook until the onions brown a little. If there is more bacon grease than you would like, drain a little (not me ).

4. When the sweet potatoes are soft, remove them to a bowl with a slotted spoon and pour the water down the sink. Return the sweet potatoes to the pot and mash.

5. Add 2-oz. cream cheese, salt, pepper, and mix.

6. Add the vinegar to the bacon/onion mixture, stir, and add it to the sweet potatoes. Stir.

7. Serve or transfer to a greased, casserole dish and cover.

8. Re-heat in the oven when needed.

Modified by Cooper at 7:07 PM 12-11-2004

Modified by Cooper at 7:11 PM 12-11-2004

15. 12-13-2004 07:52 PM #120
      Here are three variations, similar but different, on Chopped (Chicken) Liver...good as an appetizer, salad, or on a sandwich. These recipes are from various Jewish cookbooks or websites

Val’s Hungarian Jewish Chopped Liver

“If this dish asks you, 'What am I, chopped liver?!' you can say, 'Yes!'. I'm particular about using Hungarian paprika, faithful to my roots! You can use a food processor to 'mash' the livers, but the result is too refined for my taste, too much like a pâté; traditional chopped liver is lumpy! If you're willing to do the mixing with your hands, you'll get the best results. NOTE: Under NO circumstances should you add beef or any other kind of liver or filler; this will spoil the flavor. Enjoy!"

2 tbsp. vegetable oil
      1 tbsp. unsalted butter (optional)
      1 large white onion, chopped
      2 pounds fresh chicken livers
      6 hard-cooked eggs
      1 small white onion, finely chopped
      1 bunch green onions, chopped
      salt and pepper to taste
      2 tbsp. paprika
      2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, divided
      1 head romaine lettuce
      2 sprigs fresh parsley

In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium high heat. Sauté the diced onion until fairly soft. Add chicken livers and sauté over high heat, stirring frequently. When livers are cooked through (no longer pink inside and the juices run clear), remove livers and onions from heat and place in a large mixing bowl.

Mash livers with a potato masher. You will need to use your fingers, removing the membranes as you go (the livers will be quite juicy; be sure to leave the juice in). In a separate bowl, mash the eggs and add to the liver. Add the grated or finely chopped raw onion and chopped green onions and mix all together. The liver mixture should still be warm, and will slightly cook the onions. Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste and add at least 1 tablespoon paprika (more if desired, or if you're Hungarian!). Add 1 tablespoon chopped parsley. Mix well with a large spoon and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.

To Serve: Place lettuce leaves on plates, top with chopped liver and sprinkle generously with paprika and 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley. Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley. Enjoy!

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Chopped Chicken Liver 1 (Pareve)

6 chicken livers [sautéed]
      2 large onions [chopped, sautéed]
      2 hard-boiled eggs
      oil for sautéing

1. Sauté chopped onions in oil, until golden brown.
      2. Sauté chicken livers in oil [not the oil previously used].
      3. Chop together: sautéed onions, sautéed livers, and eggs.
      4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 4 servings

Chopped Chicken Liver 2 (Pareve)

1 lb. fresh chicken livers (approx.)
      1 really large Spanish onion, finely chopped
      chicken fat (Mrs. Kornbluth's chicken fat rendered with onions is commercially available and a great alternative, if you choose not to render your own)
      3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (more or less to your taste)
      salt/pepper to taste

In a skillet, over a medium heat add a generous dollop of chicken fat and heat/melt it. When hot, add the liver and sauté (fellow JEWS! Don't incinerate them!). They should be cooked, but still pink and tender in the middle.

When cooked, remove the livers from the skillet and chop. Add the chopped onions to the skillet and sauté (this is my secret). Scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan left by the livers into the onions. Gently cook the onions until soft and transparent and even ever so slightly, barely browned.

Take EVERYTHING from the skillet, scrape it all out: fat, onions, "brown bits", etc. into a bowl. Add the chopped livers & hard cooked eggs and combine. I'd add some salt and fresh ground pepper. If you wish a creamier, more spreadable texture (as opposed to a firmer more “pâté” texture) add more chicken fat and mix.

Makes 6-8 servings

Modified by buckhead at 8:19 PM 12-13-2004

16. 12-31-2004 09:17 AM #121
      Quote, originally posted by 2001Wolfy »
      This is the single weirdest recipe I've ever tried, but it turns out excellent cookies. I suspect you could use any flavoring with lemon, maple, butter rum and plain vanilla coming to the top of my list.

Ingredients:
      3 eggs
      1 C sugar
      1/4 tsp anise oil
      1 1/2 C flour

Instructions:
      Beat eggs and sugar for 30 minutes; seriously. Mix in anise oil and flour. Drop by rounded teaspoon on lightly greased cookie sheets. Let sit uncovered at room temperature overnight; seriously. Back at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Enjoy!

it's like you're trying to give us salmonella or something!

17. 01-27-2005 01:14 PM #122
      White Bean Dip

1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
      1 garlic clove
      1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, loosely packed
      3 TB fresh lemon juice
      1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 tsp cumin
      1/4 tsp salt
      fresh cracked pepper
      pinch cayanne

Blend beans through olive oil in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Add spices, and season to taste. Serve with pita chips and crudites.

I think next time I'll try adding some fresh grated parmesan cheese to the mix.

18. 02-08-2005 01:14 PM #123
      Quote, originally posted by munkey »
      it's like you're trying to give us salmonella or something!

I think you're more likely to get hearing damage from the mixer running for 30 minutes. And that's why we stick it in the basement and go for a 1/2 hour walk!

I tried it with almond flavoring a couple of weeks ago, and it was wicked good! And no salmonella. Yet.

19. 03-11-2005 12:14 PM #124
      Quote, originally posted by penya79 »
      Chicken Chili

1lb ground chicken (or turkey), browned and drained
      3 (15 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
      2 (15 oz.) cans dark red kidney beans
      1 (15 oz.) can black beans
      1 large diced onion
      spoon of sugar
      pepper to taste

Simmer in crock-pot (high for <8 hrs, med, for >8 hrs)

In the slow cooker now

20. Member
      Vehicles
      B4, subaru, MK6
      03-12-2005 03:12 PM #125
      cool

21. 03-15-2005 01:48 PM #126
      Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wa) is the seed of a plant distantly related to spinach, but has the taste and texture closer to a grain. It is high in protein, and more of a complete protein than most grains, as well as iron and contains many vitamins including B vitamins and folic acid. It is really very healthy, easy to cook and inexpensive. Check for it in natural food stores, gourmet stores and Trader Joe's. Goes very well with chicken, pork and fish.

Quinoa Salad

1 cup dried quinoa
      1 14 oz can chicken or vegetable broth or stock
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      olive oil
      3 TB pine nuts, lightly toasted
      3 TB parsley, chopped
      salt and pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, heat 1 TB olive oil over medium heat. Cook garlic for a few minutes or until fragrant and light brown. Add quinoa; stir for 2 minutes or until quinoa starts to toast. Add chicken broth, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is soft. Mix in pine nuts and parsley; serve warm or at room temp.

Modified by mterril at 10:52 AM 3-15-2005

22. 04-02-2005 08:26 AM #127
      My friend recently adapted the recipe for Archway's wedding cookies:

dough:
      1/2 c powedered sugar
      1 c butter, softened
      2 tsp vanilla
      2 c flour
      1/2 c chopped Brazil nuts
      1/2 c chopped pecans
      1/2 tsp salt

garnish:
      1 pound powedered sugar

Preheat oven to 325.
      In a large bowl, combine 1/2 c powdered sugar, butter and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.

Add salt. Spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. Add gradually to mixture until dough forms.

Fold nuts into dough.

Pull bite-size chunks from dough, roll in powedered sugar and lightly form into balls. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Cookies do not spread while baking.

Bake at 325 for 15-18 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from sheets and immediately roll in powdered sugar.

Cool for 5 min and roll again in powdered sugar. When completely cool, roll once more in powdered sugar.

Store at room temp. Makes 4 dozen.

23. 04-02-2005 08:00 PM #128
      Quote, originally posted by sharkracer »
      Archway's wedding cookies:

That's a lot of rolling in powdered sugar! Looks good though... I'll have to try that around Christmas time.

24. 05-05-2005 10:44 PM #129
      So I've been bored and over the last few weeks have been working on soup. My family really digs this one so I figure I might was well share.

1 can crm of broc soup, condensed
      1/3 purple onion
      3-4 potatoes, partially skinned
      1/3 cup froz. corn
      3 pinches kosher salt
      1 tsp Tony's ((Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning)
      pinch dried parsley
      black pepper to taste
      2 tsp. "mild" hot sauce
      1 tsp garlic powder
      2 tsp adobo
      5 Tbsp smart balance (or Butter)
      1 bay leaf

Put all solids in large pot. Add water to about 2/3s of the solids. Add condensed soup. Add 2 soup cans milk or more, if needed. Stir well. Heat to simmer and stir often.

Chop 1 filet (12-16 oz.) of fish, preferably catfish.Sprinkle 1 heavy pinch kosher salt onto fish.
      Heat skillet over moderately high heat with generous amount of olive oil.
      Measure out 2 tsp. (or to taste) of Tony's and one slice lemon: reserve. Put fish into skillet, stir to coat with olive oil. Add Tony's and lemon, stir. Keep flame moderately hot. Fish should be done within 3-4 min., stir frequently. Add fish to
      soup.

Cook until potatoes are done. Taste and season accordingly. More Tony's may be required. If the soup is too runny, add 1/3 cup flour, stirred in very well.

Optional ingredients: 1/3-1/2 cup frozen chopped okra (very nice, in fact i plan on always using the okra);
      Italian seasoning to taste; basil to taste; onion powder; Mrs. Dash (go
      easy); Also, I find that shrimp added to it works fairly well.

Quote »
      A few guidelines for the recipes here:

Standard forum rules apply

Give your recipe a name

Include a complete list of ingredients

Use a standardized measurement system, ie:Imperial/Metric

Include approximately how many servings one 'batch' will make

Include what course or meal the recipe is intended, ie: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, apetizer, entreé, dessert etc.

Include approximate prep. times & cook times

If applicable, include a wine pairing for the meal

I dont do rules

Name: Bobs Creek Stoup
      Servings: 5-7
      Meal: works well for dinner, lunch
      Time: 45 minutes - 1 hour
      Wine: Wine sucks

25. 06-06-2005 12:24 PM #130
      Lemon Sole with Shrimps

From my granny's recipe

2 Lemon sole, skinned and filleted
      2oz butter, unsalted
      4oz peeled shrimps
      1 sachet white sauce mix
      1/2 pt whole milk
      parsley and lemon to garnish

2x 12" squares of alu foil
      cocktail sticks

Season the fish well, then coat with soft butter.
      Put a few shrimps in the fillet and roll up tightly. Use sticks if necessary.

Put the 4 rolled fillets on on of the foil squares, then the other foil over the top. Fold the edges at least three times to make a watertight sealed parcel. Have ready a large pan of water on the simmer.

MIx the remaining shrimps with the white sauce and milk in another saucepan.
      Add the fish to the water, and simmer for 10 minutes, and also cook the prawns in the white sauce.

When done, put the fillet rolls on a warm plate and add the sauce. Add garnish and eat.

26. 08-20-2005 01:38 AM #131
      Chicken Catchatorie

Easy Style

Great for family dinners super easy I serve with rice and parmasan cheese, you can use pasta if you'd like.

In a medium roasting pan add
      3 chopped celery stalks
      1 med onion chopped in chunks
      5 minced gloves of garlic
      2 table spoons Italian Seasoning
      2 tsp salt
      1 tsp pepper
      1/4-1/2 cup sugar
      mix together
      then take 2 28oz whole plum tomatoes and puree in blender add to seasonings(you can have a taste here to see if you need more seasoning, the above are just guidlines I don't measure)

then add 14 whole chicken thighs, you could also your legs or legs with back attatched.

I make sure all pieces are covered by the sauce then cover and cook in 400 degree oven for 1 1/2 -2 hours stirring every 30mins or so. the chicken will float and the skin will start to come off when it's done!

27. 08-20-2005 01:58 AM #132
      Chocolate Cake

In large mixing bowl mix together:

2 cups sugar
      1 cup margerine/butter
      2 eggs
      1 tsp vanilla
      1/2 cup cocoa
      1 cup boiling water

then sift together

2 1/2 cups flour
      1/2 tsp salt
      2 tsp baking soda

mix together

1 cup milk and 1 tblsp vinegar

Add flour and milk mixtures to the wet ingredients starting with and ending with the flour mixture.

Pour into greased 9X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 45-60mins.

A GREAT icing for this is

1 package JELL-O instant pudding (chocolate)
      1 pouch dream whip
      1 cup milk
      1 tsp vanilla(sometimes I use Baileys or Kahlua)

Mix these together with eletric mixer on high until smooth and thick

28. 08-20-2005 01:59 AM #133
      Sweet & Sour Chicken
      In a large skillet

Add
      3 cloves garlic minced,
      1 each red,green,yellow & orange pepper cut into bite sized pieces(I like these ones and lots but you can vary it to suit your tastes)
      4 raw chicken breasts cubed
      a little oil about a tablespoon
      and a sprinkling or brown sugar
      1 tsp ginger

Fry all together till the chicken is browned about 10-15mins

Then add
      1 cup brown sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstartch(helps prevent clumping)(can adjust sugar to suit your tastes)
      3 Tblsp ketchup
      1/4 cup each vinegar and soya sauce(can adjust to suit your tastes)
      1 11 oz can of pineable tidbits fist just add the juice wait untill all is thickened before adding the pineapple.

This recipe can be played with quite a bit and adjusted to give you exactly what you like. I serve with rice but imagine that noodles would work as well!

29. 08-20-2005 02:01 AM #134
      Tara's Broiled Chicken
      In a cereal bowl mix together

1- 1 1/2 cups flour
      1 tsp each garlic powder,salt & pepper, paprika

in another cereal bowl

fill 2/3 way with veg oil
      sprinkle top of oil with Italian Seasoning (or your fave dried herbs)

Take 4 chicken breasts

Dip each breast 1st in flour than in oil than in flour again and place on broiling pan Broil in oven approx 5-7mins per side or until lightly browned. (may take longer if the breasts are thick)

Vehicles
      1998 mk3 8v 1995 f150 351 1985 fxrs
      09-04-2005 02:28 PM #135
      my recipe for deep fried oreos:

1 package oreo cookies
      instant pancake batter
      vanilla extract
      cinnamon
      powered sugar

start with some pancake batter (i use the instant just add water stuff). mix in a few drops of vanilla extract and a pinch of cinnamon. coat an oreo with the batter (i use double stuffed). place the cookie in to a hot fryer for about one minute or until golden brown and flip. fry for another minute or so until the other side is golden brown. remove and shake off excess oil. coat with powdered sugar.
      these are an easy and desert. the cookie melts together inside the batter and are SOOO good. great for family gtg's and such.

Modified by bigteal at 7:29 PM 9-4-2005

Vehicles
      1994 Ford Temp GL
      09-14-2005 09:58 AM #136
      Quote, originally posted by »
      quote:Same here! I'm especially interested in boybaha's risotto.

Ok. Dug it up.

ARTICHOKE RISOTTO WITH TOMATO BUTTER

1 tbsp minced garlic
      3 tbsp butter at room temp
      1 tbsp tomato paste
      2 artichoke hearts, diced and blanched
      6 shallots, minced
      2 tbsp olive oil
      1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
      3 cups vegetable stock (you can use chicken, but I'm vegetarian)
      1 cup dry white wine
      basil and oregano (I use about 1/2 tbsp of each when fresh)
      1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Mix up about 1 1/2 tbsp of butter with about 1/4 tsp of garlic. Combine with the tomato paste. Mix until it's a smooth mixture. Set aside.

In a medium pot, saute the shallots and half of the artichokes in the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp of butter and the olive oil until both are softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in the rice and cook, stirring until it colors slightly, about 5 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup of stock and throw in the basil and oregano and cook over medium heat until the stock is absorbed, then repeat with another 1/2 cup of stock.

When that stock is absorbed, begin adding the wine. When that is absorbed, add the rest of the artichokes and continue adding the remaining stock and the rest of the garlic.

When the rice is al dente, the risotto is ready. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve each portion with a dab of tomato butter.

Chug the rest of the dry white wine.

There you go! Enjoy! It's easier than it sounds.

I cooked this last night as my first stab at cooking other than burgers and other stuff. It was really good! I was worried about the rice soking up the 3 cups of chicked stalk and the cup of wine, but it did it just fine. I simmered three cut chicken breast in some oil, garlic, and italian dressing, and then threw that into the overall meal. Pretty damn good. Thanks!!

Rick
      1994 Ford Tempo GL

32. 10-02-2005 08:58 PM #137
      First post in this forum, hope its a good one.

My recipe is just a good tri-tip BBQ, rubbed.
      Name: Skylar's Tri-tip?

The rub is simple;
      2 tablespoons Chili powder
      2 tablespoons Cumin powder
      1 tablespoon garlic powder or garlic salt but use less salt then
      1 tablespoon ground pepper
      1 tablespoon onion powder
      1/2 tablespoon italian seasoning
      1/2 or 1 tablespoon iodized salt

Any size tri-tip, when putting the rub on you just put a good layer on both sides, let sit for 10 mins or so then put another layer on untill the rub is gone.

BBQ any way comfortable. The way I do it is laying down a sheet of tinfoil on the grille, put a layer of cooking oil on the tinfoil for cooking and nonsticking. Depending on the size of the meat, cook around 45 minutes or more at medium heat on the BBQ but always checking to make sure the outside doesnt burn and the inside cooks well. Once the outside is dark brown and the inside is a light red then it should be done, cook to prefrence I guess but thats just the way I do it.

Cut in 1/2 inch sections and serve.

Amature cook's contribution.

Vehicles
      B5 2.8Q, Buell XB9S
      10-14-2005 03:32 PM #138
      S LUT RED HOOKER CAKE

1-Cheesecake (new york style preferred)
      1-Bowl/can of whipped cream
      1-Angel Food cake
      1-Package of strawberries(like used for strawberry shortcake)
      1-Package of blueberries

Looking for a quick easy dessert for you next party? Here it is.

DIRECTIONS
      Place cheesecake on bottom
      Cover cheesecake with whipped cream
      Place Angel Food cake on top
      Empty one whole package of strawberry mix over dessert.
      Lightly cover the TOP of Angel Food cake with additonal whipped cream
      Sprinkle blueberries over dessert.

Let cake sit saturate/cool in the fridge for 30-45 mins.

Cut cake and enjoy!

(may want to change name for conservative guest )

Tucker Max of the Gays and Demokratikally Elekted Minister of Slutty Gay Whoring and Muppet Sex of the People's Independent Republik of Offtopikstan
      RIP Cosmic TDI
      Quote Originally Posted by HideYoKids View Post
      Dann is More sassy than any man with facial hair should be. It's entertaining.

Vehicles
      2006 Jetta 2.0T 6Spd
      10-21-2005 11:37 AM #139
      THE Ribsticker

1 Cup Oats
      1 Cup Soy Milk (lowest fat content you can find - I use "SO GOOD fat free original", it has 0.25g fat / cup)
      1 Medium size banana
      1/4 cup Vanilla Yogurt (fat free)
      1 Tbl Spoon Peanut Butter (smooth, low fat)
      1 Tbl Spoon Cocoa

1. combine oats and soy milk first into blender (I use a hand blender, so just put them together into the cup that you blend in. Let sit for a minute or two.

2. break banana into peices, put in cup. Add the rest of ingredients. Blend and eat.

I make this for breakfast virtually every morning... the reason it's great to eat is because everything in it is extremely good for you, it will keep you full for a LONG time, and I love how it tastes (texture is probably unappetizing to most...). It's great for when you dont have time to cook, and wont have time to eat for awhile.

These are the total specs:

658 Calories
      31.21g Protein (~18% calories)
      12.35g Fat (~16% calories)
      113.95g Carbs (~67% calories)

This includes 13.6g of Fiber!

It also includes 5.88mg of Iron! - that's more than half your daily requirement...

35. Senior Member
      11-19-2005 08:45 AM #140
      Two more:

Lemon Chicken

Adapted from the Chinese Cooking Class Cookbook by the Editors of Consumer Guide

4 boneless chicken breasts
      ¼ cup cornstarch
      ¼ teaspoon salt
      Dash ground pepper
      1/8 cup water
      1 egg
      4 scallions, sliced
      Rice
      Deep fryer with oil (a Fry Daddy works fine)

Lemon Sauce

¾ cup water
      ¼ cup lemon juice
      1 ¾ tbsp. packed light brown sugar
      1 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
      1 ½ tbsp. honey
      1 tsp. chicken bullion granules
      ½ tspn. Grated pared fresh ginger root

I cheat and keep crystallized ginger on hand and mince it, as I don’t use much ginger in cooking.

1. Cook rice, following package directions.
      2. Heat deep fryer and oil
      3. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
      4. Combine cornstarch, salt and pepper in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken. Beat egg in a bowl and mix with the water. Add to the cornstarch mixture and mix.
      5. Add chicken and mix to coat completely.
      6. Add chicken pieces individually to the deep fryer so that they do not stick together. Cook in batches and drain.
      7. While cooking chicken, combine the sauce ingredients in a pan over medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat and stir occasionally until thickens.
      8. Add cooked chicken to serving bowl. Add sauce and mix to coat chicken. Top with sliced scallions.
      9. Serve over cooked rice.

The book’s recipe doubles the recipe. It calls for 4 whole chicken breasts taken off the bone to produce 8 boneless breasts which are then flattened slightly. It doubles the other ingredients, and uses for 4 egg yolks rather than 1 whole egg. It also cooks the flattened, chicken breasts whole, and slices them after cooking.

Ravioli or Tortellini with Sausage

Frozen pre-cooked ravioli, tortellini, or stuffed rigatoni
      Italian Sausage, sweet or hot
      1 can diced tomatoes
      Italian seasoning
      Minced garlic
      Red pepper flakes (optional)
      Corn starch
      Garlic bread, frozen
      Parmesean cheese (optional)

This is a very inexpensive meal and makes extra for lunches or another dinner.

Buy precooked, frozen pasta when it’s on sale. I just bought a 4-lb. bag of frozen pre-cooked ravioli for $4.98. Same, too, with Italian sausage and diced tomatoes. Italian sausage is frequently “buy one, get one free” at the supermarket. Buy it on sale and free in packages to two or three. I just always have a jar of minced garlic in the fridge all the time.

1. Boil water with salt and a little olive oil in a pot.
      2. Follow directions to re-heat the amount of pasta you want.
      3. While doing the above, heat a non-stick wok or pan and remove two or three sausages from their casing and make little balls and drop on the skillet. Cook sausage until done.
      4. Add the diced tomatoes to the pan. Add some Italian seasoning and minced garlic. Add optional red pepper flakes for a hotter dish, or let individuals add it to their serving to taste.
      5. Heat sauce and sausage mixture and add a little cornstarch to thicken with heating and stirring until the desired consistency is reached.
      6. Add drained, heated pasta to the wok or pan and stir.
      7. Serve with optional shredded or grated Parmesean cheese and garlic bread.

Enjoy!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast