Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY guide to switchblade key remote replacement

1. 01-29-2004 09:33 PM #1
      I’ve came across many info as I was trying to get a new style key to work with my Jetta, so I just thought to pass on this info to anyone who might find it useful, especially those who are looking to replace their crappy old style key with the cool new style one (see pic below), as well as those who are looking at obtaining a replacement key for the one they lost

Ok, gotta put this lame disclaimer first to get my (_|_) covered: I believe all info below to be accurate. You, however, must assume risks are involved when working through the procedures below. So if something goes wrong, u don’t blame me and I can’t be held responsible in any way

This write-up is divided into many sections, with their respective titles typed in bold and underline. The end of a section is indicated with a thumb-up

New style key remote replacement for 1999.5 – early 01 models
      For those who are using the old style key and wish to switch using the new style ones, please note that there are two different versions of the new style keys out there with different part #s. Both versions of the new style keys look exactly identical, but only one of them works with cars that originally came with the old style keys. For reference, the following are the part #s of all switchblade remotes for the mk4s:

Old style:
      1J0 959 753 F -- (for immobilizer 2)

New style:
      1J0 959 753 T -- (for immobilizer 2)
      1J0 959 753 AM -- (for immobilizer 3)

If you’re sure that your car originally came with the old style keys, then you would know that your car is equipped with immobilizer 2 (except 1999.5 models which are not immobilizer equipped). So to switch using a new style key, the one with part # 1J0 959 753 T would be the right one you need, since it works with immobilizer 2 equipped mk4s (as well as the immobilizer unequipped 1999.5 models). I learned all of these the hard way when I was trying to get a new style key to work with my Jetta, and wasted some $$$ in the process, so make sure you have the right key with the right part # before doing any programming

Key remote replacement for 2001 – 04 models
      Please refer to the previous section for the part # of the key remote for your car, just make sure the replacement you’re getting is compatible with your immobilizer. For those with 2001 models, please note that VAG was making a transition with the immobilizer type during the model year, from immobilizer 2 to the more advanced immobilizer 3. So double-check your type of immobilizer equipped before obtaining a replacement. For those with model year 2001.5 and newer, your car comes with immobilizer 3. In any case, you can play it safe by getting a replacement key remote that has the same part # as the ones that originally came with your car

In case you’re wondering…
      a. The remote control transmitter and the transponder chip equipped key are actually two separate components that are put together as one single device.

b. The part # of the device (remote + key) is located inside the remote control transmitter, which is the bottom halve of the device. You’ll see it once you open up (separate) the device.

c. The transponder chip is embedded inside the top halve of the device; not inside the keyblade.

d. You must get the new key coded with your car’s immobilizer (if equipped), either using a VAG-COM or ask your dealer to do it for a fee, in order to be able to actually drive your car with it.

e. Unless you already have a cut keyblade for swapping, you’ll need to go to the dealer to get your new keyblade (blank) cut for a fee, or you can save some $$$ by taking your chance with a Locksmith, but don’t come crying if he screwed up your blade.

f. It is possible to have a maximum of four remote controls for your car

Swapping keyblades…
      The keyblade is held in place with a small roll pin, flip out the keyblade halfway and you'll see it. To separate the keyblade from the device, just hammer out the pin with an appropriately sized punch or nail. After that, you should be able to pull the keyblade away from the device. If you can remove the keyblade properly, you can figure out how to reinstall it onto a new remote on your own. When reinstalling, just make sure the side of the keyblade with the logo “Huf” is facing the opposite side of the panic button when flipped outward, or else the roll pin would not go in

Programming the remote…
      You can do this with either a VAG-COM or two keys of your car. But if you only have one key, then a VAG-COM (or your dealer) is your only solution. See the VAG-COM instructions here:
      http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-c....html

If you have two (or more) working keys of your car, then you also the option of doing it without using a VAG-COM. Just do the following:
      1. Insert any one of the working keys into the ignition lock and switch to the ON position without starting the engine.
      2. Using any of the remaining keys, manually lock your car from the outside.
      3. Press either LOCK or UNLOCK on the remote (to be programmed) once, then wait 2 seconds.
      4. Press either button again once.
      5. Switch off ignition and remove key from ignition.
      6. You should hear a beep as a confirmation that the programming is completed

Matching your key to the immobilizer…
      As mentioned, you must do this with a VAG-COM or ask your dealer to do it for a fee. Keep in mind that anytime a new key is matched to your car’s immobilizer, all other existing key(s) must be re-matched to the immobilizer as well, or else your existing keys would no longer be able to “communicate” with your car’s immobilizer. So make sure to have all the keys of your car with you when doing this procedure.

If you have a 4-digit secret key code (SKC) for your car, then you're ready for this procedure using a VAG-COM. Your SKC can be found on a black plastic tag that was given to you when taking delivery of your car. On one side of the tag, there is a sticker with a scratch panel. Your SKC is underneath that scratch panel. So scratch off the panel in order to reveal your SKC.

See the VAG-COM instructions for key matching using a 4-digit SKC here:

If you were not given a SKC when taking delivery of your car (as in some 2002 and all ‘03+ models) or unable to retrieve the correct 4-digit SKC, then you’ll need to request the workshop code and the importer # from your dealer, along with your car’s 7-digit SKC, before proceeding with a VAG-COM. These three pieces of info can be obtained from your dealer only if you can provide them with your car’s 14-digit immobilizer ID #, your VIN, and prove of ownership. Also make note of the date on which your 7-digit SKC was generated by the dealer, as it is required for the SKC to be valid for this procedure.

See the link below for how to obtain your immobilizer ID #,
      and the VAG-COM instructions for key matching with a 7-digit SKC:

The link below contains instructions specifically for
      key matching with immobilizer 3 (using a 7-digit SKC):

**** Please note that you can either first get the remote control part to work then the key (transponder chip), or vice versa ****

Whew, can’t believe I’ve just put a big load of info for this write-up. Hopefully I’ve covered some FAQs for the mk4 remotes, and that it would do some goods to my fellow ‘texers. Happy VeeDubbing…

A pic for your viewing pleasure – old style key (top) vs. new style key (bottom)

Photo courtesy of Scott Volkswagen

Modified by Gee Spoolin at 2:22 AM 4-13-2004

Vehicles
      13 Passat TDI SEL, 09 Routan SEL, 01 Jetta GLX VR6,
      01-29-2004 09:34 PM #2
      i've been looking for something like this for over a year...thanks!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      01-29-2004 10:06 PM #3
      awesome, this is the most comprehensive and informative DIY yet!

checked prices on IMPEX: old immo2 remote- $63.03
      New Immo2 remote- $69.01
      New Immo3 remote- $69.01

They had pics of old Immo2 and new Immo3- they're just the remote piece, so for those of you (including me) with scuffed up VW symbols, you're still SOL because all you get is the button part

Modified by NoDubJustYet at 10:12 PM 1-29-2004

4. 01-29-2004 10:10 PM #4
      nice thanks

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta
      01-29-2004 10:12 PM #5
      so you can get the transmitter and mobilizer to work without using a vag or the dealer?

Vehicles
      | 01 1.8t | 09 2.0T |
      01-30-2004 12:44 AM #6
      Pretty sure John had to use VAG-COM to get it to work. But it is really easy, as long as you have the correct immobilizer key.

Glad you got it figured out

-Pat

7. 01-30-2004 01:13 AM #7
      u can get the remote control to work without a VAG-COM as long u have at least two keys to the car. For the immobolizer, u have to code it with a VAG-COM or ask the dealer to do it for u

Pat, thanks for hooking up my car the other day

8. 01-30-2004 02:17 AM #8
      wow im definetly doing this soon, i only have one key for my car and needed to do this either way!
      great write up!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta
      01-30-2004 11:16 AM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Gee Spoolin »
      u can get the remote control to work without a VAG-COM as long u have at least two keys to the car. For the immobolizer, u have to code it with a VAG-COM or ask the dealer to do it for u

Pat, thanks for hooking up my car the other day

so your saying you don't have worry about the immoblizer if you have two keys? and does the valet key count?

10. 02-01-2004 01:09 AM #10
      The answer is up there

Quote, originally posted by blueabdjetta »
      so your saying you don't have worry about the immoblizer if you have two keys? and does the valet key count?

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta
      02-01-2004 12:33 PM #11
      o is it.

12. 02-01-2004 02:24 PM #12

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta
      02-01-2004 03:28 PM #13
      still cant find it.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-01-2004 03:43 PM #14
      so what's the part number for the piece that has the actual key?

Vehicles
      01 Golf GLS 1.8T, 02 Jetta WGN 2.0, 11 JSW 2.5SE (Wifes)
      02-01-2004 04:09 PM #15
      Great write-up. Way to put it all into one thread.
      Chamber: My Wheels Rub on the Inside|Forgeline Wheels|WRDusa.com|
      FlickR

16. 02-01-2004 08:55 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by NoDubJustYet »
      so what's the part number for the piece that has the actual key?

There is no part # for the piece with the key The part # refers to the whole thing which consists of both the remote and the key.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-01-2004 10:16 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Gee Spoolin »

There is no part # for the piece with the key The part # refers to the whole thing which consists of both the remote and the key.

thanks for confirming that because IMPEX's site (using your part #'s) has pictures and it only shows the portion with the button and the item is labled remote so I wasn't sure. they made it sound like all you get is the 'brains' part of the keyfob and not the actual key.

18. Forum Sponsor Andy@Ross-Tech.com's Avatar
      02-01-2004 10:48 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by blueabdjetta »

The Immobilizer needs to be matched with a diagnostic tool like VAG-COM - no way around it. Now, if you don't have the scratch-off 4-digit code, you'll need these instructions:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/key-matching.html

19. 02-05-2004 12:39 AM #19
      Thanks, Andy. The key matching instruction with a 7-digit SKC has been added to the guide as well

20. 02-05-2004 03:27 AM #20
      I have just bought a like new fob remote from ebay. The part number matches my existing remote and it is for an immobilizer 2. Does the dealer sell just the key blanks that will replace the already cut key attached to the used remote?

Thanks in advance.

-Nathan

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      02-05-2004 04:34 AM #21
      Aftermarket key blades are 7 for generic, almost 20 for Hof originals online. Open your key and look at the holes. you jam those out to swap the blade.

22. 02-05-2004 07:02 AM #22

23. 02-05-2004 06:56 PM #23
      I've had a new-style keyfob I got off eBay sitting around for months, because I was told by the stealer that it would not work with my 2000 Jetta. Turns out I have the Immob2 one so I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much for this info!

Vehicles
      MkV GTI and V70 3.2
      02-05-2004 07:03 PM #24
      do 1999.5's even have an immobilizer?

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      02-05-2004 09:26 PM #25
      What model number do you have on the key? I bought 3 now that are for older mk4's immo2. I need an immo3

Vehicles
      13 Passat TDI SEL, 09 Routan SEL, 01 Jetta GLX VR6,
      02-05-2004 10:59 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by Scirocco »
      What model number do you have on the key? I bought 3 now that are for older mk4's immo2. I need an immo3

scirocco, if you have the older mk4 immo2 keys and they are the newer style (big key ring), i'll trade you for one that has the immo3. i have a 2001 so it wont work on mine. its really almost brand new. let me know

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      02-06-2004 12:34 AM #27
      IM being sent.

28. 02-06-2004 01:50 AM #28
      Thanks for the info. However, after having no luck in finding them for sale online, I called the stealer and asked for pricing and availability. They said the blade for the remote is $60 and the programming is $45. Seems like they are punishing me for trying to be resourceful!! Is there any other way!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Nathan

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      02-06-2004 06:51 AM #29
      Is there not anyone in Oregon with a Vag tool to help you program it. Someone has to be out there, should try the Touareg board, they love Vag programming. I sent you the link for the 6 dollar blade. What jerks, hell the OEM they want to sell I saw somewhere for 17 IIRC.

30. Geriatric Member JUS_GT_EYEZ's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Green MK1, Red Mk2,Yellow Mk4,Grey Wagon
      02-06-2004 07:55 AM #30
      nice write up...
      "Its cool to spool, but I'd rather be blown.." - JUS_GT_EYEZ

My FLickr <-- DUKEDLF
      Digital.Life.Form

31. 02-06-2004 08:10 AM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Scirocco »
      I sent you the link for the 6 dollar blade.

Care to share the link with all?

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2008 b6 Passat 4-Motion
      02-06-2004 10:41 AM #32
      Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
      I had been searching for that information since 2002!
      (OK, that was the last time I looked )

2102 Golf R, 2008 US b6 Passat 4-motion - sold 2006 US Mk V bmp GTI mt (230,000 miles/ 7 yrs)

02-06-2004 03:21 PM #33
      Where is the best/cheapest place to get your new key cut?

Vehicles
      2014 GTI, 2009 Tiguan
      02-06-2004 07:38 PM #34

35. 02-07-2004 02:09 AM #35
      moderator's can this be save in a 'how to postings' or "DIY postings"??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast