Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Halogen Bulbs

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      02-20-2004 05:46 PM #1
      Thanks to everyone in this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1183244 for the photos and instructions on how to change a halogen bulb in the headlight assembly. The reason for this project was to obtain a closer match of color between the xenon and halogen bulbs when high beams are on. Note: mine is VAGed for the Euro headlights so both the xenon and the halogens are on when high beams are activated.
      You can also read about changing fog light bulbs here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1241457
      I changed my 55w OEM halogen bulbs to H7 70w Hoen xenonmatch Titanium bulbs. They can be purchased here: http://www.hoen-usa.com/ti.htm. After some research, I have determined that the increased wattage from the OEM 55w bulbs to the Hoen 70w bulbs should not be an issue. The total wattage per headlight assembly 105w (35w xenon + 70w halogen) is still less than the standard headlights that have two 55w halogen bulbs (110w total per side).
      The process can be a little tricky if you don't know what to look for and/or expect. This is particularly true for removal and installation of the headlight assembly. Hopefully these instructions and photos will help.
      1. Remove the side engine cover panels (if you have them).
      2. Get the headlight crank tool from the spare tire storage compartment.
      3. Insert the headlight crank tool onto the hex bolt. With one hand, push lightly on the front the headlight assembly to release the tension and start to twist the crank tool toward the "open" arrow. (This is all about feel, so don't force anything.) Continue to twist until the headlight assembly partially pushes out of its socket.

Note: The following two photos are to illustrate what happens when the cranking tool is twisted. The chrome bar in the two photos below is what is being moved when you crank. Going too far will break the assembly.

This photo shows the position of the chrome bar when it is partially closed. It will continue backward until it locks into place when you reinstall the assembly.

This photo shows the position of the chrome bar when it is in it's open position allowing the headlight assembly to slide out.

4. With a long straight screw driver push down on the release clip. There is a small hole in the radiator bulkhead to access the clip. (The access hole is shown in the first photo at the upper left center.) While pressing down on the retaining clip, use your other hand and pull the headlight assembly out a little more. Once you're beyond the clip, you're all set to remove the assembly. Grab it on each side and just pull straight out. There are no cables attached.

5. Once out, remove the large rubber cap on top of the headlight assembly.

6. The inside will look like this. Remove the wire harness from the bulb, unfasten the retainer clip, and pull the bulb out. The inside looks like this.

7. Reinstall the new bulb making sure not to touch the glass portion of the bulb, refasten the retainer clip, reattach the wire harness and replace the rubber cap. Make sure you have the rubber cap on tightly all the way around.

8. Replace the headlight assembly back into its cavity. Make sure that all the tracks line up so it slides in smoothly. Look underneath the assembly for the two rails on the bottom side.

9. Slide the assembly back into place until you hear a small click. Once you hear the click (retainer clip), with one hand continue to apply light pressure on the front of the headlight assembly and start twisting the crank tool to the close position. The crank tool will pull the headlight assembly back into the cavity easily. With some force, continue to twist the crank tool until you hear a rather loud snap. The snap means the headlight assembly is locked into place.

Here are the results.

Xenon & 55w OEM Halogen

Xenon & 70w Hoen xenonmatch Titanium

Driver's Side Modified / Passenger Side OEM Comparison

Both Sides Modified / Project Complete

Now that night has fallen, I had my first chance to really see the difference and let me tell you, the difference is awesome. You can not tell the difference in light color between the xenon and the halogen bulb. I highly recommend the Hoens. Here are some night photos. (Note: the spotlights off on the right side of the photos illuminating the barn are 100w halogens.)

Xenons Only

Fogs Only (yellow bulbs)

Xenons & Halogens (note: no color difference)

Attached Images
      • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.6 KB, 89 views)
      • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (277.3 KB, 68 views)
      • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (253.9 KB, 65 views)
      • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (256.5 KB, 61 views)
      • File Type: jpg 4a.jpg (220.3 KB, 65 views)
      Last edited by bravocharlie; 01-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.

2. 02-20-2004 06:35 PM #2
      That was a fantastic post. (btw, That silver acura was the right color, wrong license plate). and nobody passes me, no matter what I'm drivng or pedaling.

Now, when I go to visit my son i Plymouth, can I stop by for you to do that mod for me? that is, if spock can't?

thanks, BC,
      mark
      me.
      ps: The lakes region is beautiful.

3. 02-20-2004 06:54 PM #3
      What does everyone think of this being done for us who does not have hids.They even have a wiring harness that can change the 12 pin hookup to the standard 10 pin hookup.I have been thinking about this for a while now and was wondering if it should work. Any opinions?
      http://www.epimporters.com/pro...II=88

http://www.epimporters.com/pro...II=78

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      02-20-2004 07:47 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by mdjak »
      That was a fantastic post. (btw, That silver acura was the right color, wrong license plate). and nobody passes me, no matter what I'm drivng or pedaling.

Now, when I go to visit my son i Plymouth, can I stop by for you to do that mod for me? that is, if spock can't?

I just spent an hour writing this up and doing the photos so others could follow the directions and do it themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure, I'll do it for you.

5. 02-20-2004 09:29 PM #5
      On a serious note for a moment, did the writeup take longer than the actual job itself? Now that you've done it once, will it be easier next time? I'm going to that site to order the bulbs now. Hey, Spock, how bout it? I'll get the bulbs for you too.

me.
      PS: Which model number bulb do I order?

Modified by mdjak at 9:32 PM 2-20-2004

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      02-20-2004 09:59 PM #6
      On a serious note for a moment, did the writeup take longer than the actual job itself? Now that you've done it once, will it be easier next time? I'm going to that site to order the bulbs now. Hey, Spock, how bout it? I'll get the bulbs for you too.

me.
      PS: Which model number bulb do I order?

The job took about 40 minutes total. The first took longer than the second because I was paranoid about breaking something. DenverBill broke something and it cost him $350 for a new headlight assembly. I didn't want that to happen.

It does take a while to write this stuff up, but I'm happy to do it. Others have contributed and I figured this is my way of contributing. Until you compress the photos, write it up, proof read, ftp the photos up, etc. it took almost an hour to write it.

The bulbs are H7.

Swing by the big lake, I'll do it for you. Then we can go race.

Modified by bravocharlie at 10:03 PM 2-20-2004

7. Banned
      02-20-2004 11:39 PM #7
      This is simply amazing. You should be working at VW!

8. 02-21-2004 12:43 AM #8
      Great job on the write up and photo's. I've ordered my set of bulbs and will be switching them over as soon as they arrive. Your post will make it much easier to do.

9. 02-21-2004 11:15 AM #9
      Thanks for the thorough write-up and photos. Your new headlights look great and must give terrific visibility at night. I just hope you're right about 70 watts not being too much for the wires, relays, fuses, etc. I've heard of people burning out wiring harnesses with high wattage bulbs, but it was probably with higher wattage than yours.

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      02-21-2004 11:42 AM #10
      Quote, originally posted by Outrageous »
      Thanks for the thorough write-up and photos. Your new headlights look great and must give terrific visibility at night. I just hope you're right about 70 watts not being too much for the wires, relays, fuses, etc. I've heard of people burning out wiring harnesses with high wattage bulbs, but it was probably with higher wattage than yours.

Based on my research, I was told that anything up to 80w is safe without having to upgrade the wire harness.

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      02-22-2004 09:54 PM #11
      VW Touareg Featured on Hoen website.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/ti.htm

12. 02-22-2004 10:05 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by bravocharlie »
      VW Touareg Featured on Hoen website.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/ti.htm

Pretty cool that they are using your pics, BC!

Vehicles
      Glacier Blue/Blk B7 SE 2.5 5MT
      02-22-2004 10:48 PM #13
      Great post BC. It is not clear how slick these headlight mechanism is without your picture post.

As I mentioned before I have been running 100 watt H7s in my low beams for ~60 days with great results.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      02-22-2004 11:08 PM #14
      You keep this thread up top long enough and I might even have to do this mod.

15. 02-22-2004 11:37 PM #15
      i am going to do this mod if i am able to put aftermarket HIDs in.This is really a nice Option that i should have gotten.

16. 02-23-2004 12:21 PM #16
      Forget might have to. Get with it. I want it now. (See my email.)

17. 04-28-2004 02:49 PM #17
      Hi Bravo,

After looking at your pictures I got my H7s changed to IPF Super Low Beam x H7 65W. The color Temperature is 5000K. The bulbs costed $80. Got it replaced at the VW dealer another $100. The lights are phenominal!

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      06-10-2004 11:35 PM #18
      Quote, originally posted by ssarma »
      Hi Bravo,

After looking at your pictures I got my H7s changed to IPF Super Low Beam x H7 65W. The color Temperature is 5000K. The bulbs costed $80. Got it replaced at the VW dealer another $100. The lights are phenominal!

Quite a few people on the forum have gone with the Hoens and seem to be pleased with them. This is also a bump for the newbies.

19. 06-10-2004 11:38 PM #19

Quite a few people on the forum have gone with the Hoens and seem to be pleased with them. This is also a bump for the newbies.

Chit, thanks for reminding me. I've had the bulbs for weeks now and forgot about them

Meat

20. 06-11-2004 05:53 PM #20
      They ripped you off for a hundred bucks. When spock came to my house, we literally did the swap in ten minutes. At that rate, your dealer must get a grand an hour.

Vehicles
      07 Z4MC, 11 328i Touring, 13 F150 STX 5.0, Versys
      06-11-2004 05:56 PM #21
      They ripped you off for a hundred bucks. When spock came to my house, we literally did the swap in ten minutes. At that rate, your dealer must get a grand an hour.

I've got to go to work there. I'm sure the real estate in Fremont is high though.

22. 06-11-2004 11:21 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by meatster »

Chit, thanks for reminding me. I've had the bulbs for weeks now and forgot about them

Meat

That's because you've been too busy wacking people for Bravo

23. 09-23-2004 12:12 AM #23
      Okay, silly semi-non car guy question... Do you need the Hoen "Titanium bulb system - H7 fitment - pair" or just the bulb pair... or both?

Vehicles
      sold em
      09-23-2004 06:56 AM #24

spock isnt THAT much cheaper Mark...

another enlightening thread....

who's driving the dreambus?

25. 09-23-2004 07:04 AM #25
      Nice work. Very nice.

Also, I've always loved the New Hampshire state motto.

Thanks for the post.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      04-10-2005 12:09 PM #26
      I know it's been a while since this thread has seen any action... but, I have a question.

Isn't the OEM bulb a 55W? If so, has anyone experienced any problems with the 65 & 70W bulb upgrades????

Now that I have my "six light salute" done --- I want to upgrade my H7's & H11's.

27. 04-10-2005 01:06 PM #27
      Bravocharlie, Spock...who's visiting Dallas next?

Big steak awaits at 3 Forks or Bob's!

Cy

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      04-11-2005 08:25 AM #28
      Quote, originally posted by TREGinginCO »
      Isn't the OEM bulb a 55W? If so, has anyone experienced any problems with the 65 & 70W bulb upgrades????

It is not an issue. Mine have been in for quite some time now. It has to do with electrical loads and since the xenons don't draw that much, it is not an issue.

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      04-11-2005 08:26 AM #29
      Quote, originally posted by cybulman »
      Bravocharlie, Spock...who's visiting Dallas next?

Big steak awaits at 3 Forks or Bob's!

I spent an hour writing the original post with detailed instructions....go for it.

Vehicles
      04-12-2005 10:12 PM #30
      So, now that I have my SLS (Six Light Salute) programmed into my car... I want to upgrade the halogen portion of my headlights and the fog lights to a xenon matching color/light output.

I would like suggestions for the brand to buy.

Thanks!

31. 04-12-2005 10:31 PM #31
      So, now that I have my SLS (Six Light Salute) programmed into my car... I want to upgrade the halogen portion of my headlights and the fog lights to a xenon matching color/light output.

Thanks!

The headlight bulbs bravocharlie mentions in the first message of this thread are great! I have not done anything with my fogs.....

Vehicles
      BMW 535xiT
      04-13-2005 09:16 AM #32

Thanks!

O.k., first and most importantly white fog lights don't do anything in the fog except make it more difficult to see. That is why for years, MB and others who have a clue have used yellow lamps for their fogs. Yellow cuts through the fog, white light does NOT.

Here's what I think you're looking for on the fog light question...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1241457

Vehicles
      04-13-2005 11:40 AM #33
      Okay.... I'll go with yellow.... I'm not married to th xenon match fogs. Denverbill has the yellows on his TOUAREG and they look great. At the risk of being/sounding lazy, where's a good source for the yellow H11's?

34. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Touareg V10, 2007 Boxster S
      04-13-2005 01:04 PM #34
      I got my H11 amber ion bulbs from EPImporters, as alluded to in bravocharlie's reference.

35. 04-13-2005 02:38 PM #35

O.k., first and most importantly white fog lights don't do anything in the fog except make it more difficult to see. That is why for years, MB and others who have a clue have used yellow lamps for their fogs. Yellow cuts through the fog, white light does NOT.

Here's what I think you're looking for on the fog light question...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1241457

bravocharlie - At one time I thought white was bad for fog lights too, then during a physics class I changed my option - base on the size of the water droplets in fog and what happens when light hits them.

I might suggest that you take a look at these two links and go with what you think...make sure you read the entire page as the first part sounds good then explained different in the later part.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/...4.htm

http://www.cartalk.com/content....html

IMHO it is the height of the light above the ground, the brightness and the upper cut off that makes the biggest difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast