Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: How to drive an AUTO/MANUAL Transmission

1. Member
      03-13-2004 09:22 AM #1
      Ok, I did a search, but I couldn't find anything so I need the forum's help regarding a question I have:

Basically, my friend picked up her Mazda 3 earlier this week, she ordered it with an Auto/Manual (Tiptronic style) Transmission. When I went to drive it, I considered it to be like a manual transmission car: + to upshift, - to downshift. When I started driving and wanted to increase the gear from 1-2, I tipped it to +, and the car downshifted to 1!

Does Mazda have it reversed?! Does Volkswagen's Tiptronic behave in a similar fashion!?

Thanks!

Modified by Quattro80 at 7:52 AM 3-13-2004

2. 03-13-2004 09:29 AM #2
      Umm I dont' know what you are saying, you were in first, pushed +, and the car downshifted into first?

you were already in first it couldn't downshift no matter what button you pushed!?

3. Member
      03-13-2004 09:57 AM #3
      I see what you're saying... this is what I believe happened:

I pushed the car to the limit, the CPU must have automatically shifted to 2 just to be on the safe side... I didn't notice this, so when I tipped it to + to go to a higher gear (expecting to go to 2), it DID downshift to one and the engine revved. It was VERY odd.

But to simplify matters, we'll go with this scenario:

I'm in 3rd using the Auto/Manual. I want to shift up to 4, but when I tip it in +, it goes down to 2. Is this normal!?

I think it should be the other way around, where + is to UPSHIFT to a HIGHER gear, and - is to DOWNSHIFT to a LOWER gear.

4. Senior Member
      03-13-2004 10:03 AM #4
      Read the instructions in the owner's manual. Automatic transmissions can be very complex to operate properly, compared to manual transmissions. Even the non-Tiptronic VW automatic transmission requires about five pages of owner's manual instructions, compared to half a page for the VW manual transmission.

5. Member
      03-13-2004 10:14 AM #5
      tjl:

I don't need to read the manual, its not my car. Further, I have discovered HOW Mazda's transmission in the 3 works, and was driving in the auto/manual mode quite well, again, once I discovered how to upshift and downshift in the Mazda 3:

+ to lower a gear
      - to raise a gear

The question posed by me, which is clear in my posts above are the following:

For a car equipped with an Auto/Manual type of transmission, ANY Auto/Manual vehicle, shouldn't it be:

+ to increase a gear
      - to lower a gear

Do any automakers have the transmission programed in a way that:

+ upshifts
      - downshifts

Thanks.

Modified by Quattro80 at 7:15 AM 3-13-2004

6. 03-13-2004 10:56 AM #6
      Having driven a couple of those "manumatics", I'll contribute this ...

They usually work best when you slap it in "D" and fuggedaboutit. The thing is an automatic transmission masquerading as something else; let it do its thing.

7. 03-13-2004 11:04 AM #7
      I have a Mazda 3 with the manumatic and to go up a gear, you pull the lever down (towards the back of the car) - so to go from 1 to 2 you pull the lever down. I don't know if that's considered + or -.
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn

8. 03-13-2004 11:59 AM #8
      Here's a pic to clarify the Mazda3 setup. Yes, pull back to upshift. Yes, pulling back is towards the + and pushing forward is -

9. 03-13-2004 12:23 PM #9
      yah that is what he thought to, but he got the opposite results. He said, + is in fact downshift (correct me if I am wrong) ...

10. 03-13-2004 12:39 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by prana »
      yah that is what he thought to, but he got the opposite results. He said, + is in fact downshift (correct me if I am wrong) ...

You're right, that is what he said (my great reading skills ).
      Not sure why that would happen

11. Member
      03-13-2004 12:51 PM #11
      Oh man I'm such a loser!

When I drove the car, it was at 10:00pm and it was dark in the car... I never noticed that the + or - was imprinted in the plastic around the shifter!

Having driven my friend's Passat, I figured the Mazda 3 would be the same as the Tiptronic where + would be by shifting the transmission knob up and - by pulling it towards you.

I hate Mazda's setup.

12. 03-13-2004 12:51 PM #12
      ahh dat explains it

13. 03-13-2004 01:00 PM #13
      not sure why some car companies switch it around. My Mazda 6 is pull back to upshift, my dad's Acura TL is push up to upshift. I think BMW's system is like mazda's too.

14. 03-13-2004 02:40 PM #14
      HURRAH, there is a "sequential shifter" that has the shift pattern the correct way around, in production!! I thought they were all backward. Here's the exception that has it the right way, and congrats to Mazda for doing it right.

Take a look at World Rally cars. Sequential shifters always are pull-back-to-upshift, push-forward-to-downshift. It's the ergonomically correct direction ... Same "sense" as the accelerator pedal ... If you want more forward thrust, move control lever forward; if you want less forward thrust, move control lrver backward.

The "wrong" direction became imprinted because it's the same sense as the usual P-R-N-D-L shifter - an arrangement that was never intended to cater to enthusiasts.

15. 03-13-2004 03:35 PM #15
      Yeah, I have to agree.

Pulling back to upshift is more intuitive for me too. On our Honda, you have to push forward. It felt unnatural at first, but you quickly get used to it.

I guess it would really get confusing if you had two cars with opposite setups

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-13-2004 03:53 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Quattro80 »
      I pushed the car to the limit,

Well the tip in our Jetta shifts at redline. I hope that's not the case with your friend's car because that means you are ragging on your friend's new, unbroken-in car.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      03-13-2004 03:54 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by Quattro80 »
      I don't need to read the manual, its not my car.

Funny, since you obviously didn't know what you were doing.

With the Jetta, you push forward to shift up and pull back to shift down.

Modified by Hostile at 3:56 PM 3-13-2004

18. Senior Member
      03-13-2004 04:32 PM #18
      Only Mazda and BMW use system that push up for downshifts and pull down for upshifts.

19. 03-15-2004 03:34 PM #19
      My wife has a Jetta with thip and I have a Mazda 3s with manumatic - I get screwed up all the time because the patterns are opposite. I've actually stopped using this feature in the Jetta because I hate how it works - pushing forward to upshift just doesn't make sense to me.
      2013 Tiguan SEL
      2012 Jetta GLI Autobahn

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Nissan Altima
      03-15-2004 03:51 PM #20
      I just test drove one last saturday: + to upshift, - to downshift

21. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      03-15-2004 03:52 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by GoFaster »
      HURRAH, there is a "sequential shifter" that has the shift pattern the correct way around, in production!! I thought they were all backward. Here's the exception that has it the right way, and congrats to Mazda for doing it right.

Take a look at World Rally cars. Sequential shifters always are pull-back-to-upshift, push-forward-to-downshift. It's the ergonomically correct direction ... Same "sense" as the accelerator pedal ... If you want more forward thrust, move control lever forward; if you want less forward thrust, move control lrver backward.

with Hewland sequentials, used in CART, rally, and sportscar... you push FORWARD to downshift and pull BACK to upshift

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

22. 03-15-2004 04:13 PM #22
      I have gotten confused simply READING this thread ...

23. 03-15-2004 08:31 PM #23
      i think for japanese cars that are made in japan (mazda 3) has to be pulling back for upshift, just like the japanese car games i play in the arcade
      TL on the other hand..is not made in japan, maybe thats why is the other way around..
      another example: mr2 spyder

24. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      03-15-2004 09:05 PM #24
      so far... this thread pretty much has already thrown down the proof that "manu-matics" with their "F1-inspired transmissions" are NOTHING more than a stupid gimmick.

instead of a + and -, they should be labeled with David Hannum's famous saying:

"there's a sucker born every minute"

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa