Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: FAQ - Carbs

Vehicles
      1986 GTI 1.8 8v
      03-26-2012 06:58 PM #281
      So I've ordered my carb kit and awaiting anxiously for it to arrive so I can tear into my car. In the meantime, I'm trying to plan out my ignition system. There is a lot of unclear information surrounding the timing.

First question: what part of a 1986 GTI CIS-E ignition is providing the timing advance? My understanding is that it's electronic, since the dizzy has a simple hall sender. I don't think there's a mechanical advance under there, but I'm not 100% sure.

What i'm wondering is if I buy the MSD Digital 6AL and 8910 tach adapter, then wire as follows, will the Ignition Control Module provide the spark advance curve, or is this a "locked out" setup?

MSD also sells the 6AL-2 Digital Programmable (6530) with the PC-programmable advance curve for locked-out dizzys. It's $100 more, so I'd prefer to avoid that expense if possible.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      to many to list here now 2006 gli
      05-02-2012 09:35 PM #282
      im about to start my carb set up and still cant find straight answer for Fuel pump install im going the carter route and my question is..

-- do i remove the oem pump ?? if i do so how is the carter pump gonna get fuel if is all the way in the front...

Please help me with this

05-04-2012 08:14 AM #283
      Where is your existing pump?

You should have room back by the tank for a pump. I would put it as far away as possible because they are noisey.

maybe even some rubber mounts.

05-04-2012 08:20 AM #284
      The CIS uses a static timing advance setting at the distributor. The Knock sensor made the adjustments but that was only to retard the timing when it senses a knock.

Your diagram has no timing advance or retard.

Vehicles
      05-04-2012 10:04 AM #285
      Quote Originally Posted by Big CADDY View Post
      Where is your existing pump?

You should have room back by the tank for a pump. I would put it as far away as possible because they are noisey.

maybe even some rubber mounts.
      still have the in tank pump on it i just dont know if the carter will be able to pull the fuel out of the tank being out side of it and no in tank pump to push fuel out

05-04-2012 11:09 AM #286
      It would be fine. Maybe try to used the in tank pump instead of the carter.

Vehicles
      06-07-2012 01:56 PM #287
      HELP!!!!

i got aba with rowland manifold and dual solex on it try to put it on but the alternator is on the way what can i do is this normal?

8. Junior Member Riknish Niorkin's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2003 Citi Golf 2.0 running twin DHLA's
      06-18-2012 11:04 AM #288
      Yes that is normal, I made a custom bracket so I could mount the alt. on the waterpump. Then an extended arm thingy... try post pics later

Vehicles
      1981 jetta coupe 16v, 2009 Audi A5 3.2L manual Quattro
      06-20-2012 10:06 PM #289
      Quote Originally Posted by cubanvr6jetta View Post
      still have the in tank pump on it i just dont know if the carter will be able to pull the fuel out of the tank being out side of it and no in tank pump to push fuel out
      I have my carter pump mounted on the passenger side firewall and it pulls it up just fine... In tank pump is just unplugged.
      the little coupe that could...

fondly remembered: 1980 diesel rabbit, 1985 faux-harlequin, 1990 jetta, 2000 v6 passat wagon, 2003 1.8t passat sedan

Vehicles
      06-20-2012 10:12 PM #290
      Quote Originally Posted by notajetta View Post
      I have my carter pump mounted on the passenger side firewall and it pulls it up just fine... In tank pump is just unplugged.
      thanks finally someone answer thanks dude

Vehicles
      2007 VW Rabbit(current) 96 Jetta GLS(sold)
      07-24-2012 09:47 PM #291
      Okay this will be a long post. I recently got a 84 gti with a 16v 2l swap. Now this engine ran carbs from 2 owners ago the previous owner was going to run carbs again and did not have the time for it. A friend picked it up for parts and in bought it from him. Now I picked up a set of weber dcoe 40 with the manifold adapter there is Holley fuel reg along with a Holley fuel pump which I was deciding on changing over to a carter. Now I don't know what carbs he ran but he had both outlet valves hooked up on the reg and nothing to the return along with a hookup for a icm. There is nothing for the spark advance that i can see but he has a Bosch coil that is wired up to the icm and then over to the distributor. The water neck doesn't look like its in the way but I will replace that. Also for the brake booster what do I do about the hook up since there will be no vacuum. I have attached pics the best I have please help and if you have questions I will answer the best I can

Last edited by InfamousAdam; 07-25-2012 at 12:09 AM.

07-25-2012 08:52 AM #292
      The way he has it set up will work fine. There is no need for a return to the tank with such low pressure. The ICM will work fine like he has it as well. You just aren't getting the full advantage of a curve.. I actually carried that ICM setup in my glove box as a backup for my MSD. THe water neck looks pretty good. I'd pull it off and check it over for cracks and use it. The brake booster hookup can be pulled from one of the runners like #4. Drill and tap it and use a barbed insert to connect the hose.

here is a pic I found. Notice the AN connector. IF you are looking for bling grab a chrome toilet filler line.

Vehicles
      2007 VW Rabbit(current) 96 Jetta GLS(sold)
      07-25-2012 01:18 PM #293
      The way he has it set up will work fine. There is no need for a return to the tank with such low pressure. The ICM will work fine like he has it as well. You just aren't getting the full advantage of a curve.. I actually carried that ICM setup in my glove box as a backup for my MSD. THe water neck looks pretty good. I'd pull it off and check it over for cracks and use it. The brake booster hookup can be pulled from one of the runners like #4. Drill and tap it and use a barbed insert to connect the hose.

here is a pic I found. Notice the AN connector. IF you are looking for bling grab a chrome toilet filler line.

Thank you. As for the regulator should I put a plug on the one side of the reg since I only need to pull fuel from the one side? Also the distributor should I get one with a vacuum advance?
      Last edited by InfamousAdam; 07-25-2012 at 01:35 PM.

07-26-2012 10:03 AM #294
      Plug the extra line or stick a pressue gauge on it.

Don't do a vacuum distributor since there isn't a proper vacuum

Get the car running properly with a static advance of like 8-12*. Then move on to that part.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit Diesel
      09-17-2012 03:19 PM #295
      alright i have question about wiring.

i have a 8v rabbit with a single weber dcoe set up with a msd 6al, msd coil and msd timing control.

can i get rid of the hall effect distributor and icm by getting a points distributor with a Pertronix Ignition conversion to simplify the wiring even further

09-17-2012 03:57 PM #296
      Pertronix has two wires. HAL has three. I wouldn't waste time on that.

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit Diesel
      09-17-2012 06:19 PM #297
      Pertronix has two wires. HAL has three. I wouldn't waste time on that.
      this is true

i meant more would it get rid of the icm.

18. 10-28-2012 02:00 PM #298
      Quote Originally Posted by Cynical 1 View Post
      Quote, originally posted by mofoco »
      what about blockin off the frigin injectors how to?

cheap and dirty - use dimes and some high temp silicone in each injector port.

or, go buy 4 trans drain plugs from the dealer and screw them in.

Transmission drain plugs don't fit, but that was my initial assumption as wall. It's a 1/2" NPT (national pipe thread) I threaded a reducer bushing (for clearance issues) to reduce it to 3/8" I used a little JB weld on the threads because they were questionable. From there thread a barbed fitting into that bushing giving me a vaccume port pre throttle plate to sync the carbs and more than abundant vaccume for the brake booster.
      I modded a lower intake manifold on my 9a 16v 2.0 and got r1 carbs to just clear the hood, but just.
      Any advice on throttle cable?
      I'm thinking of stealing the lines off my old BMX (never used them any way)

19. 10-28-2012 03:35 PM #299
      Here's where I'm at.
      My 89' GTI I swaped a 2.0 16v 9a into it.
      I ran it on the 1.8 PL's CIS-e system with some sucess but the fuel distributor was always an issue as was the injectors, I had a o2 guage hooked up and it would jump arround more than a rabbit at a dog show.
      I bought Mikuni 40's off a yamaha r1. Cut the lower intake manifold down to about an inch from where the molding injector cups was about an inch away from the end of the runner. Now the carbs were alligned narrower than the runners but with good 3" 5 ply sylicon 2" to 1 3/4" reducers and a little trimming I got a manifold that I have relative faith in. And was able to shut the hood with the cone air filter just tuching the hood when closed.
      The old injector cups removed a 1/2" to 3/8" NPT steel hardware store variety reducer bushing was threaded into. a 3/8 thread to 1/2" barbed fitting threaded into that. From there 1/2" fuel hose and 1/2" L and T fittings were configured and compiled in series and leading to the vaccume port for the brake booster, while also alowing for access to each individual port for dynamic vaccume syncronization of the throttle plates.
      Fueling is: in-tank transfer pump to 3/8 (AN-6) fuel line to clear glass fuel filter to holly 140 GPH low pressure pump to a T fitting , 1 to low pressure regulator set at 3.5 psi leading to large canister style fuel filter (to act as a fuel pulse damper) them to the carbs themselves, other line to cheep high pressure regulator set at arround 10 psi leading to return line to the fuel tank.
      Fuel vent line from the charcol is run to a vaccum port placed in the top of the cone air filter along with the catch can vent for the crankcase and the various vents for the carbs.
      Ignition is to be the stock knock sensor & electronics of the cis-e system. Am I hereing this right that there is no advance on this system? I'll be consitering a vaccume advance dizzy of so.
      What car can I steal one from. Volvo turbo?
      Need more info on an initial tune as carbs to manifold installing is an off the car endevor with my manifold to carb alignment. I want to get pretty close to start. No cat stock 1.8 2 1/8" exhaust mufflers, Stock 9a engine, R1 carbs on a short runner. Looking for midrange / low end over peak hp for now.
      Also throttle cable help. A part # would rock. I'm about to take brake cables off BMX and try it.
      Am I missing anything??
      I want to pull the choke from the dash. Farm and Home tractor choke cable was my first thought.
      Thoughts?

Vehicles
      87 golf vr6
      10-29-2012 11:15 AM #300

Vehicles
      84 babbit GTI (gone) , 91 GTI ABA 84 Jetta 16v 90 GLI 16V
      02-22-2014 11:09 AM #301
      I have one question that I just cant seam to find the answer to from anyone, everything Ive found provides indirect and sketchy answers so if someone can please just answer me this would be awesome. I have Dellorto 45 carbs that I plan on running on a 16v motor in my mk2 jetta and I will be running the oem fuel pump. So far I have: Carbs, manifold, fuel pressure regulator, oem IMC and a basic harness made to run it with a vacuum advanced dizzy however Im still missing a saab dizzy. So my question is can I just run it with what I have just basic and mechanical, with out all the MSD stuff?? And the saab distributor that I need to get is it off of a turbo or non turbo car?? Thanks in advance

Vehicles
      65 Bug, 82 Caddy, 08 Jetta
      03-02-2014 04:39 AM #302
      Been doing allot of reading and hope I now have everything to do my swap..

Going to the R1 carbs on my 91 16v 2.0 9a..

Going with the Carter pump with the Holley bypass fpr, for ignition I have the CB Performance "Black Box" going to use the stock distributor and coil, manifold is tapped for vacuum. That's the major stuff, going to go with aftermarket tach and the Black Box has wiring for that, btw, this will be in my 82 caddy. Doing mechanical oil,alt and temp gauges in the center console.

I'm not getting in a hurry doing a mild "freshing" of the 16v before the install as well as all new external items, water pump,ect.. Head will be port matched with Techtonics 268 cams. 5 spd tranny, should be a fun little ride!!!

Any tips on a clutch kit, would like to go with a Stage 2 but I'm sure a stock would be just fine..places to buy??
      Pans on the ground......

23. 08-02-2014 07:16 AM #303
      Weber DCOE experts please; I'm trying to jet my carbs so suggestions. I hope this helps others as it is very difficult to find anything on 8 valves with effect on drivability/performance. Here's my progress/trial and error write-up:-

Car is 1989 1.8GL UK right hand drive (brake servo in the way of cylinder 1 intake).

Facet 60104 fuel pump (inherited, not by choice).
      Malpassi 3-way fuel regulator with return, guage set to 1.5psi, reasonably steady control.
      Mangoletsi manifold, ported/port matched.
      Massively ported GU head with old inlet manifold coolant feed blocked off. Exhaust/inlet on same side (rear of engine).
      Standard valves, springs, hydraulic lifters, seats standard (throats have been widened/blended).
      Camshaft is Newman 272 duration, 10.8mm? lift
      Timing/ignition is standard GU distributor, vac advance connected to cyl 4 on Mangoletsi manifold with big green ball (from Pierburg 2E2) as vac pulse compensator.
      Timing set to standard flywheel mark with vac disconnected from distributor at idle (is 18 degrees BTDC?).
      Twin DCOE 40s only identification on them is '3K', possibly Toyota? They have 3 progression holes and originally had 30mm chokes.

Jetting:-
      My starting point, more or less book guide values.
      Chokes: 34mm
      Mains: 135
      Air Correctors: 185 (i.e, + 50 over mains)
      Idles: 50 F9
      Pump Jets (in carb already) : 35 (small?).
      Emulsions: F16

What did it drive like? Very jerky on acceleration, almost like random missfire very scarey. Setting the idle screws, they were only 0.75 turns out (rich?).
      Problems arise on transition about 2500rpm. Then no power and quiet running after 3000rpm, at wide open throttle to 4000rpm, too scared to go beyond 4000rpm. Otherwise was a pleasant drive around town.

I assumed the idle jets were too rich and the mains were way too lean. I already had some 180 air correctors from the old carb setup. I plonked these in to see if it helped richen the main circuit. The difference was barely noticable, but did make some small improvement (less jerking/missfire/smoother).

Next step I tried was 145 mains, I bought 125s as backup in case I was wrong too . This made a drastic change to the whole setup especially at 3000-5000rpm where there was noticably more power, yay! However, drivability low down took a nose dive (stalling) and there was still alot of bucking/jerking.

Next I had already some 45 F8s from the old carb setup so swapped these in. Significant smoother town driving, however is still jerky at slow throttle transitioning to wide open throttle. No noticable difference from 3000-5000rpm. Wide open throttle sounds lean to me as in there isn't a roar of power, more like the sound of drawing air. Idle screws now set about 1 full turn out on each barrel. The 45 F8 has a massive air hole versus the 50 F9 so is leaner.

Current Jetting:-
      Chokes: 34mm
      Mains: 145
      Air Correctors: 180
      Idles: 45 F8
      Pump Jets (in carb already) : 35 (small?).

Guys, what is my next move? Here is my personal jet 'arsenal' to play with:-

Chokes: 30, 34
      Idles: 50 F9, 45 F8
      Mains: 115, 125, 135, 145
      Airs: 180, 185, 200
      Pump Jets: 35

My gut feeling is that the mains can go richer still. +10 on the mains improved alot of the mid-range/top end. I ordered in some 160 air correctors, but some div sent me 1x160 and 3 x 100s, I could get a set of drill-bits I suppose and solder? Save me buying more jets.
      Is it worth up-sizing the pump jets? These are more expensive parts.

Vehicles
      1977 Scirocco "Broccoli"
      08-02-2014 08:52 AM #304
      I have a similar setup and will look at my notes of my current jetting and such but just a couple things off the bat... I had a facet pump and I had nothing but problems. Fuel pressure should be set at about 4 psi. And what do the plugs look like?

25. 08-02-2014 10:10 AM #305
      Will try 4psi thanks. I moved to the Malpassi regulator as the Sytec Pro-Flow (with a dial) pressure was all over the place, especially as my suspension is pretty solid.

If you can find out your jetting setup that would be awesome! It will give me some grounding as to which way to head.

I think the pulsations of the Facet pump/rocking of 4 pot engine play havoc on the fuel level in the carbs, to the point that you end up with the "bucking" I'm getting. Just a theory. Will look for a "volume" pump.

26. 08-02-2014 10:57 AM #306
      Tried 4psi, not any real noticable difference.
      Took out the plugs, they are as black as night, not wet, just a coating of dry soot. Too rich then, where next?

27. 08-02-2014 11:26 AM #307

All four spark plugs look like this

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1982 Caddy
      08-02-2014 08:12 PM #308
      If it's a straight vac advance distributor, then feeding it manifold vacuum will play funky games with the timing. It requires ported vacuum, which the webers can't provide.
      Negative scene points

29. 08-03-2014 04:20 AM #309
      Quote Originally Posted by B4S View Post
      If it's a straight vac advance distributor, then feeding it manifold vacuum will play funky games with the timing. It requires ported vacuum, which the webers can't provide.
      The old Pierburg carb took the vacuum where I have it taken from, just now its a single port so no smooth VAC signal. The old manifold had a tube with a tiny hole in it, using this might help to smooth out the pressure variations? Or add VAC pipes on the trumpets? Think this would be wrong anyway, great for checking balance tho.

Could try moving the timing about, if so what am I looking for as regards noises to avoid (pinking). Want me to post the timing at each rpm I'm currently getting?

Vehicles
      2002 Forester S, 1982 Caddy
      08-03-2014 10:46 AM #310
      Well, maybe a reading at idle, since that's where the highest timing is going to be recorded if the vac signal is wrong. If the original carb fed it the same way, then I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it's always good to check .
      Negative scene points

31. 08-03-2014 11:19 AM #311
      Ok SHES ALIVE!

Finally bit the bullet and removed the brake servo to make way for trumpet #1. Saw a few guys running without them and figured the breaks couldn't get that much worse...ok they do, you don't appreciate the extra effort from it until its gone . Practically had to remove the whole front subframe to tilt the engine far enough forward to get the servo outta there.

However, what a monster, and the sound too! 3000rpm to 4000 is rapid, I used to have a Lotus esprit S3, about 160 bhp? Must be near to that easily. Feels like it runs out of puff about 4500rpm, so maybe richer mains...currently at 145 and airs are at 200.

It was the foam filter. Blocking #1 when at full throttle with the venturi jiggling around inside that barrel.
      Last edited by funkymonkeybooze; 08-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789