VWVortex.com - Symptoms of bad sway bar links???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Thread: Symptoms of bad sway bar links???

1. 03-15-2004 05:34 PM #1
      What are they?? i've been having some clunking and think it may be the front suspenion links. At work the I35's were notorious for these and it seems like a similar clunk.... TIA

2. 03-15-2004 05:43 PM #2
      i have been hearing a similar clunk when making left turns, especially at speed. any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

3. 03-15-2004 05:52 PM #3
      I've never gotten mine at high speeds before. But i have been getting a clunk from the front sometimes also when pulling into a driveway particularly when they have a high curb as u pull in. Also it happens under hard braking i get the same clunk. Also last night as i was passing through a yellow light of an intersection at a bit higher than usual speed and it dipped on the other side i fully extended my suspension (just to the point of not smashing the car off the ground) and when the car came down it clunked.
      Does anyone know how u can tell if ur sway bar links look bad??? are they easy to replace??? i know they're fairly cheap from ECS tuning....

4. 03-15-2004 11:32 PM #4
      A sway bar is a kind of spring that resists change between the left and right side of the suspension to counteract body roll, among other things. See http://www.grmotorsports.com/swaybars.html for a thorough explanation. A clunk heard when one wheel moves relative to the other is a clear indication the sway bar or a related component is involved.
      I just had mine changed and the clunk is gone. Before having them swapped out, I would hear a pronounced clunk whenever one side of the suspension would move relative to the other at speeds under 30 MPH. For example, I would get the clunk when one wheel would hit a minor bump, but no clunk could be heard over speed bumps where both wheels move up and down together. This pointed me to the links. When I had a closer look, I could reproduce the clunk by moving the link from side to side. I could easily rotate it a good 30 degrees. The new ones immobile by comparison.
      The original links were the old ball joint type. I had them replaced with a set of the bushing type links from ECS. I tried to get the old ones off myself, but they were stuck solid. My mechanic ended up using a torch to cut off the old links. The new links did the trick though.
      Good Luck!

5. 03-16-2004 12:17 AM #5
      Awesome....sounds like it could be the problem. I'm gonna look under the car at the links before i order any to make sure tho.

6. 03-16-2004 01:19 PM #6
      Jack up the suspected side of your car and kick the wheel. Get under the car and just start jerking on everything: wheels, control arms, ball-joints, sway-bars, tie-rods, etc. Nothing should rattle at all under there. Don't let the suspension components intimidate you, it is all pretty simple if you understand how things work together.

For advertising information click HERE