Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Symptoms of bad sway bar links???

1. 03-15-2004 04:34 PM #1
      What are they?? i've been having some clunking and think it may be the front suspenion links. At work the I35's were notorious for these and it seems like a similar clunk.... TIA

2. 03-15-2004 04:43 PM #2
      i have been hearing a similar clunk when making left turns, especially at speed. any insight that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

3. 03-15-2004 04:52 PM #3
      I've never gotten mine at high speeds before. But i have been getting a clunk from the front sometimes also when pulling into a driveway particularly when they have a high curb as u pull in. Also it happens under hard braking i get the same clunk. Also last night as i was passing through a yellow light of an intersection at a bit higher than usual speed and it dipped on the other side i fully extended my suspension (just to the point of not smashing the car off the ground) and when the car came down it clunked.

Does anyone know how u can tell if ur sway bar links look bad??? are they easy to replace??? i know they're fairly cheap from ECS tuning....

4. 03-15-2004 10:32 PM #4
      A sway bar is a kind of spring that resists change between the left and right side of the suspension to counteract body roll, among other things. See http://www.grmotorsports.com/swaybars.html for a thorough explanation. A clunk heard when one wheel moves relative to the other is a clear indication the sway bar or a related component is involved.

I just had mine changed and the clunk is gone. Before having them swapped out, I would hear a pronounced clunk whenever one side of the suspension would move relative to the other at speeds under 30 MPH. For example, I would get the clunk when one wheel would hit a minor bump, but no clunk could be heard over speed bumps where both wheels move up and down together. This pointed me to the links. When I had a closer look, I could reproduce the clunk by moving the link from side to side. I could easily rotate it a good 30 degrees. The new ones immobile by comparison.

The original links were the old ball joint type. I had them replaced with a set of the bushing type links from ECS. I tried to get the old ones off myself, but they were stuck solid. My mechanic ended up using a torch to cut off the old links. The new links did the trick though.

Good Luck!

5. 03-15-2004 11:17 PM #5
      Awesome....sounds like it could be the problem. I'm gonna look under the car at the links before i order any to make sure tho.

6. 03-16-2004 12:19 PM #6
      Jack up the suspected side of your car and kick the wheel. Get under the car and just start jerking on everything: wheels, control arms, ball-joints, sway-bars, tie-rods, etc. Nothing should rattle at all under there. Don't let the suspension components intimidate you, it is all pretty simple if you understand how things work together.