Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Golf MK4 GTI Turbo starting problems!!

1. 04-29-2004 06:49 AM #1
      HI,

MY NAME IS LEE AND I'M IN THE UK. I BOUGHT A YEAR 2000 VW GOLF GTi 1.8 20V TURBO ON TUESDAY.

IT STARTS NO PROBLEM AT ALL IN THE MORNINGS EVEN IN THE COLD AND RAIN AS YOU WOULD EXPECT FOR A 4 YEAR OLD VW!

BUT IF I'VE BEEN DRIVING AT NORMAL SPEEDS FOR SAY HALF AN HOUR THEN STOP FOR A WHILE (FOR EXAMPLE I GOT HOME FROM WORK HAD MY DINNER THEN WENT BACK OUT AGAIN LAST NIGHT) IT WON'T START.

I'M NO MECHANIC BUT I'VE LIFTED THE BONNET AND TRIED TO START IT - THE ENGINE MOVES FROM SIDE TO SIDE AND THE STARTER MOTOR IS TRYING HARD BUT IT JUST WON'T TICK OVER. I TRIED ABOUT 5 TIMES THEN LEFT IT FOR AROUND 5 MINS, TRIED IT AGAIN AND IT STARTED WITH A BIT OF A SPLUTTER.

THIS HAS HAPPENED 3 TIMES NOW AND IS GETTING ON MY NERVES. I SUSPECT THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE AIR FLOW OR FUEL PUMP OR AIR/FUEL MIXTURE???

ANY IDEAS????????????

THANKS,

Vehicles
      06' A4 2.0T
      04-29-2004 07:15 AM #2
      Check the battery. Might be losing the ability to maintain charge overnight with long time.

Vehicles
      08 GTI, 09 Tiguan SEL
      04-29-2004 07:16 AM #3
      Hi and welcome to the vortex! First order of business - don't use caps as it's considered 'internet shouting.'

You may have a problem with a coilpack..they are notorious for going wrong on 2000-2002 1.8Ts. Best bet it to take it to a dealer and have them look at it - if it is a coilpack it will be under warranty.

Also check out http://uk-mkivs.net for some enthusiasts a bit closer to home.

Modified by Vapormike at 7:17 AM 4-29-2004

4. 04-29-2004 08:26 AM #4
      I checked the battery and it's fine - about 12.5 volts. Its fine after its been left for a while - it's seems to be after it's only been left for around half an hour - maybe the engines too hot??!! and there's some kind of temperature sensor that won't let you start it til it cools down???

I don't know - I suppose I'll have to get a diagnostic check done on it.

Thanks for the info,

Lee

5. 04-29-2004 08:29 AM #5
      Hi,

Sorry for shouting!!!

I'll get a diagnostic check on it and see what comes back.

Any idea how much a coilpack would be? Just I bought the car private and I think the VW manufacturers waranty has expired!

Thanks for the help,

Lee

Vehicles
      08 GTI, 09 Tiguan SEL
      04-29-2004 08:35 AM #6
      It was a recalled item becuase there was actually a design flaw that caused them to fail, so you probably won't have to pay a thing if that's the problem, though I am not up to date on VWUK's stand on the whole issue. I know in the states though that VWOA has covered the cost of all replacements.