Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: PhatBox Mounting Mod!!!

Hybrid View

1. Banned
      05-03-2004 02:12 PM #1
      All, I'll post pics later tonight, I just wanted to give it a road test to make sure there were no issues.

For all of the GTI/R32 guys who DON'T want their Phatbox to stick out of the CD changer location, or mount it vertically on the side of the wheel well, or on the back of thier rear seats....

I took the liberty of openign up my new Phatbox (yes new, I doubt I'll have warranty issues), to see what was inside to see if I can mount in a more "stealthy" way.

Since the unit is basically solid-state electronics, the mod was simple. Also, this mod had to be simple and NOT modify the PhatBox permanently.

I bascially remove the guts from the big aluminum "fake"amp module, and installed the complete unit in a Radio Shack Electronics Experiment Box. The box cost $6.99, and was simply moded with a Dremel, and an Exacto blade.

Once the mods were done, I installed the Phatbox unit into the new box, and re-mounted the front facia onto the new box.

The new unit sits/resides in the CD-Changer mount, WITH the door closed, and WITHOUT cutting the side door/panel.

I'll post pics tonight for those who are interested.....

05-03-2004 10:44 PM #2
      I would be curious to see...thanks

3. Banned
      05-04-2004 08:49 PM #3
      I have pics of the mod ver 1.0, can anyone host them for me????

I can e-mailthem to you if not, just PM me.....

Larry

05-04-2004 08:56 PM #4
      email them to Anthony127@comcast.net

5. 05-04-2004 11:04 PM #5
      Although I have completed my own version of this experiment on my Fiancé’s GTI I would still like to see how you approached the matter. If you want pictures of my project I would be happy to email them.
      garand@selbie.org

Rob Garand

6. Banned
      05-05-2004 12:55 AM #6
      thanks Rob. I did send the pics to Antony, and I hope he can host them for everyone to see. If not, let me know and I can send pics out...

Anthony, can you also host Rob's pics??? Might be good to look at 2 different approaches to the same isssue?????

Thanks,

Larry

Modified by lsinlv at 8:50 AM 5-5-2004

05-05-2004 01:10 AM #7
      Here you go Larry...nice work bro

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32, 1984 GTI Cup
      07-09-2004 10:15 AM #8
      I have a PhatBox on the way thanks to LuisV. I'll attempt to do a Ver. 2.

9. 07-11-2004 06:02 AM #9
      Update.

Phatbox harddisk is garbage. It recently died. I spent several weeks with Customer Support, reformatting, reloading, checking for errors ect. After all that, they determined it most likely suffered a severe jolt or jink and the internal disks are physically damaged (its just a lap-top hard drive after all). So I then ask If I send in the entire Phatbox or just the cartridge for warranty coverage (1 year). Neither. No Warranty coverage. The DMS cartridge is only covered for DOA, because it is not supported if it is used in any manner that may cause vibration, motion or shaking, such as walking with it, driving with it, shaking it ect. WTF.. However you can buy a replacement for $178

Screw them. I will wait till Phatbox is discontinued and and pick up some new cartridges for cheap. Till then we purchased a pair of Ipods. Five Thousand times cooler, cheaper, and more useful. Ipods have built in alarm clocks, games, date book and planner, and a much better interface. Also iTunes owns Phatbox Music Manager. Lastly I purchased the iPods from Best-buy and they are covered by a 2 year replacement or coupon warranty. No receipt needed, no reason needed. Just bring it to the store with the box, they look you up in the computer and give you a voucher for original purchase price..

Rob Garand

Modified by Garand at 11:04 AM 7-11-2004

10. Banned
      07-11-2004 08:20 PM #10
      Thanks for hijacking my PhatBox mod thread....

This thread was trying to help out others with thier installs of the PhatBox, not wanting to hear that YOU were having warranty issues......

back on topic....

Vehicles
      07-13-2004 07:43 AM #11
      I got the Phatbox in last night. I did the same mod but a little different. It fits right at home in the CD changer spot. When I get my digi. cam batteries charged, I'll take pics.

Vehicles
      07-14-2004 02:30 PM #12
      After making the same mod. I've noticed that it gets really hot. I was thinking of adding a few small computer fans. I wonder if I could hook at least one to the remote wire that runs to the back in the cd changer bundle. Does anyone have any ideas?

Modified by vr6gtispeed at 3:04 PM 7-14-2004

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI DSG
      05-12-2005 05:49 PM #13
      doenst anyone know those side tubes were heat sinks? good luck getting long term use outta those hack job mods..
      Unitronic Stage 1 93 Octane - Unitronic DSG Stage 1 - Golf R Intercooler - R8 Coilpacks - Soundaktor Switch - Tyrolsport Deadset Collar Kits Front + Rear
      LastHumansGarage / GTI Master / Plac

14. 05-12-2005 07:27 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by placenta »
      doenst anyone know those side tubes were heat sinks? good luck getting long term use outta those hack job mods..

No they're not. They're only there to look good and to make the PB fit in the CD changer slot in SOME cars.

ROB

15. 05-12-2005 07:39 PM #15
      Here's my version

Thanks for the idea guys! This is probably the most expensive solution so far due to the $20 ribbon cable that I had to make. Not to mention the milling machine to pocket out the aluminum sides .

Quote, originally posted by placenta »

Actually, those aren't heat sinks and calling all of these creative solutions "hack job mods" isn't the best way to make friens. Anyway, the only component that is heat "sunk" is that little chip you see sticking out of mine in the last picture. It was clamped to the steel sheet in the rear of the unit. I may make something for it before it gets stupid-hot here in Miami.

For those of you with aftermarket amps, I think you can get a pair of line-level outputs from the thing if you solder in your own RCA connectors to a spot on the rear of the board.

16. 05-12-2005 07:57 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by 20v_boost »
      Here's my version

Thanks for the idea guys! This is probably the most expensive solution so far due to the $20 ribbon cable that I had to make. Not to mention the milling machine to pocket out the aluminum sides .

Actually, those aren't heat sinks and calling all of these creative solutions "hack job mods" isn't the best way to make friens. Anyway, the only component that is heat "sunk" is that little chip you see sticking out of mine in the last picture. It was clamped to the steel sheet in the rear of the unit. I may make something for it before it gets stupid-hot here in Miami.

For those of you with aftermarket amps, I think you can get a pair of line-level outputs from the thing if you solder in your own RCA connectors to a spot on the rear of the board.

WOW!!! Mine is the most ghetto solution so far, and yours is definately the LEAST ghetto. That looks VERY nice.

And btw, thanks for setting Placenta straight on the heat sink myth. I just responded with a "laughing" smiley because I don't feel like explaining it in much more detail than that, but as you pointed out, the aluminum piece is NOT a heat sink. The unit does not make much heat at all, it's not an amp, it's just a portable disk drive. Where's the heat sink on an iPod?

Anyway, your solution looks great. Good work. And to those who are too lazy to do what you did, my "ghetto" job works just fine, and unless you open the door to the audio compartment in the trunk, it looks great.

I actually ordered a PB for my wife's Passat this week, and I plan to install it in the same ghetto, "heat sink-less" fashion as I did in my Golf.

ROB

Vehicles
      2000 Golf GLS 1.8T
      05-14-2005 09:15 PM #17
      Here is my Phatbox install which I installed in place of the hazard reflectors (which no one has anyways) and I'm not ready to give up my CD changer yet. At least no cutting needed to do this.

http://home.comcast.net/~databurst/phatbox.html

18. 05-15-2005 04:22 PM #18
      So can you use your stock CD changer and the phatnoise? If so, how do you switch at the head unit? Or do you just swap cables when it's time to play CD's?

19. 08-06-2005 08:43 PM #19
      hi, how do you remove the black plastic cover on the front to gain access to the front screws of the phatnoise attaching it to the alum case? i was able to pry the top part but couldn't pry the bottom part...i don't like to force it w/o breaking the plastic...tia

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      11-11-2006 06:06 PM #20
      whooops
      2002 GTI 337
      1992 GTI 2.0 16v

21. 08-26-2005 03:23 AM #21
      Hey 20v_boost, how did you modify the electronics so that the port is on the side? I suspect it has something to do with the 20 pin cable?

Can you post some step by step instructions with pics?

Thanks!