Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PhatBox Mounting Mod!!!

1. 05-06-2005 01:05 PM #26
      I think having the rear of the thing encased in the plastic box might make the heat issue worse by not allowing the hot air to exit the box. The rear panel is what serves as a heat sink, and should probably be exposed so that it can benefit from airflow.
      Here's mine - a bit crude, but it works like a charm so far. Supplies required: glad wrap and velcro. Granted this is in a passat, but same deal - no mods to the car required.

- Fab

2. 05-09-2005 09:35 AM #27
      Quote, originally posted by ftillier »
      I think having the rear of the thing encased in the plastic box might make the heat issue worse by not allowing the hot air to exit the box. The rear panel is what serves as a heat sink, and should probably be exposed so that it can benefit from airflow.
      Here's mine - a bit crude, but it works like a charm so far. Supplies required: glad wrap and velcro. Granted this is in a passat, but same deal - no mods to the car required.
      - Fab

When I first saw your mod, I thought, "Damn that is GHETTO!!" But then, after thinking about it for a minute, I thought I'd take apart my PB and look at it. After doing so, I'm convinced that the big aluminum casing has only one purpose, other than looking cool, and that is making the PB wide enough to fit in a CD changer slot.
      After I removed it, the unit is very light and has nothing in it that would create any real heat. I ended up wrapping mine in Saran Wrap to keep dust out, mounting it on a piece of cardboard that slides into the CD changer slot like a shelf, and holding it all together with binder clips. Yes, it's ghetto, but the door closes completely, it's easy to get in and out, it was easy to do, and it required no permanent mods to either the PB or the car.
      I originally did it thinking it would be a temporary setup and that I'd fab up a box later, but it works so well and is so simple, that I'm pretty sure it'll stay like that for a long time!
      Thanks for the idea, and to all the haters who don't like your ghetto Saran Wrap, [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

ROB

3. 05-09-2005 05:39 PM #28
      Quote, originally posted by rtmeikle »
      When I first saw your mod, I thought, "Damn that is GHETTO!!"

Yes, it is ghetto. But it's out of sight so I didn't care. It was also super cheap - nothing required but stuff that I already had lying around. Sure, I only saved like $5 compared to buying a plastic enclosure, but $5 is $5.
      Plus, I think it's a lot less ghetto than having the cartridge sticking out of the little trap door, or mounting it in the trunk in plain view.
      But then, after thinking about it for a minute, I thought I'd take apart my PB and look at it. After doing so, I'm convinced that the big aluminum casing has only one purpose, other than looking cool, and that is making the PB wide enough to fit in a CD changer slot.

Yep, and somehow phatnoise and VW did a piss poor job of communicating. Phatnoise made the aluminum extrusion the size of the CD changer, but didn't account for the cable and cartridge, which is why it just doesn't fit in our cars. It's like they asked VW "what size is the CD changer slot?" and VW gave them the dimensions. They never bothered to get the front and rear clearances.
      After I removed it, the unit is very light and has nothing in it that would create any real heat. I ended up wrapping mine in Saran Wrap to keep dust out, mounting it on a piece of cardboard that slides into the CD changer slot like a shelf, and holding it all together with binder clips. Yes, it's ghetto, but the door closes completely, it's easy to get in and out, it was easy to do, and it required no permanent mods to either the PB or the car.

At least I used Velcro, not cardboard and binder clips! Now *that* is ghetto! Though the binder clips are a nice idea as far as getting easy access. The velcro is a bit of a pain to work with in that area. I might have to "upgrade" my installation.
      I originally did it thinking it would be a temporary setup and that I'd fab up a box later, but it works so well and is so simple, that I'm pretty sure it'll stay like that for a long time!

Me too. I wanted to make a nice wooden box, walnut or something. But it's out of sight and works, and I have little enough free time as it is.
      Thanks for the idea, and to all the haters who don't like your ghetto Saran Wrap, [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthdown.gif[/IMG]

No haters so far that I know of. And if there are, they can go spend their money on something fancy - I don't care. I'm glad it worked for you too!
      - Fab

4. 05-09-2005 06:11 PM #29
      Plus, I think it's a lot less ghetto than having the cartridge sticking out of the little trap door, or mounting it in the trunk in plain view.

Agreed, and that's why I went with the method you described. I love that without opening the "sound" compartment, you'd never see ANY indication that the PB is installed. Totally stock looking! [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      At least I used Velcro, not cardboard and binder clips! Now *that* is ghetto! Though the binder clips are a nice idea as far as getting easy access. The velcro is a bit of a pain to work with in that area. I might have to "upgrade" my installation.

It's funny, the cardboard "shelf" was originally a template I was going to use to cut a piece of wood later. But, since the PB without the aluminum piece is SO light, the cardboard seemed plenty sturdy to hold it. After I realized that, I decided there was no point in cutting a piece of wood for the shelf. The cardboard slides right into the CD changer bracket and, since only binder clips hold it in, it is very easy to slide out when I need to pull out the cartridge.
      I think my ghetto install is better than a Radio Shack box in that sense; it is very easy to swap out my cartridge. It only takes a couple of seconds.
      Anyway, thanks again for your post, and to anyone else buying a PB; DON'T hack up your car! It's not necessary.
      ROB

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Subaru WRX
      05-12-2005 05:49 PM #30
      doenst anyone know those side tubes were heat sinks? good luck getting long term use outta those hack job mods..
      2015 Subaru Fortester XT
      2015 Subaru WRX Limited
      190+ Video GTI Modding/DIY Library /

6. 05-12-2005 07:27 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by placenta »
      doenst anyone know those side tubes were heat sinks? good luck getting long term use outta those hack job mods..

No they're not. They're only there to look good and to make the PB fit in the CD changer slot in SOME cars.
      ROB

7. 05-12-2005 07:39 PM #32
      Here's my version

Thanks for the idea guys! This is probably the most expensive solution so far due to the $20 ribbon cable that I had to make. Not to mention the milling machine to pocket out the aluminum sides .
      Quote, originally posted by placenta »

Actually, those aren't heat sinks and calling all of these creative solutions "hack job mods" isn't the best way to make friens. Anyway, the only component that is heat "sunk" is that little chip you see sticking out of mine in the last picture. It was clamped to the steel sheet in the rear of the unit. I may make something for it before it gets stupid-hot here in Miami.
      For those of you with aftermarket amps, I think you can get a pair of line-level outputs from the thing if you solder in your own RCA connectors to a spot on the rear of the board.

8. 05-12-2005 07:57 PM #33
      Quote, originally posted by 20v_boost »
      Here's my version

Thanks for the idea guys! This is probably the most expensive solution so far due to the $20 ribbon cable that I had to make. Not to mention the milling machine to pocket out the aluminum sides .

Actually, those aren't heat sinks and calling all of these creative solutions "hack job mods" isn't the best way to make friens. Anyway, the only component that is heat "sunk" is that little chip you see sticking out of mine in the last picture. It was clamped to the steel sheet in the rear of the unit. I may make something for it before it gets stupid-hot here in Miami.
      For those of you with aftermarket amps, I think you can get a pair of line-level outputs from the thing if you solder in your own RCA connectors to a spot on the rear of the board.

WOW!!! Mine is the most ghetto solution so far, and yours is definately the LEAST ghetto. That looks VERY nice.
      And btw, thanks for setting Placenta straight on the heat sink myth. I just responded with a "laughing" smiley because I don't feel like explaining it in much more detail than that, but as you pointed out, the aluminum piece is NOT a heat sink. The unit does not make much heat at all, it's not an amp, it's just a portable disk drive. Where's the heat sink on an iPod?
      Anyway, your solution looks great. Good work. And to those who are too lazy to do what you did, my "ghetto" job works just fine, and unless you open the door to the audio compartment in the trunk, it looks great.
      I actually ordered a PB for my wife's Passat this week, and I plan to install it in the same ghetto, "heat sink-less" fashion as I did in my Golf.
      ROB

Vehicles
      2000 Golf GLS 1.8T
      05-14-2005 09:15 PM #34
      Here is my Phatbox install which I installed in place of the hazard reflectors (which no one has anyways) and I'm not ready to give up my CD changer yet. At least no cutting needed to do this.
      http://home.comcast.net/~databurst/phatbox.html

10. 05-15-2005 04:22 PM #35
      So can you use your stock CD changer and the phatnoise? If so, how do you switch at the head unit? Or do you just swap cables when it's time to play CD's?

Vehicles
      2000 Golf GLS 1.8T
      05-15-2005 08:53 PM #36
      Thats my next step to figure out... I have been hearing about pass through cables and such but haven't looked that closely yet. But I'd like to be able to.. some of the live CDs just don't sound as good as the CD changer.

12. Banned
      05-16-2005 02:12 PM #37
      Quote, originally posted by 20v_boost »
      So can you use your stock CD changer and the phatnoise? If so, how do you switch at the head unit? Or do you just swap cables when it's time to play CD's?

I sold my changer, and bought (on the Vortex) a used in-dash single CD unit....that way, I have the PB to replace the CD changer..and when I want to quick pop a CD in, I can...the in-dash unit has a switch on the front for CD/Changer....
      otherwise you will need to swap cables....

13. 05-16-2005 02:42 PM #38
      Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »
      I sold my changer, and bought (on the Vortex) a used in-dash single CD unit....that way, I have the PB to replace the CD changer..and when I want to quick pop a CD in, I can...the in-dash unit has a switch on the front for CD/Changer....
      otherwise you will need to swap cables....

That's exactly what I'm doing in my wife's Passat after installing the PB in my Golf. I liked it so much, I bought a in-dash CD on the 'tex, a PB from 1stvwparts.com, and am going to sell her CD changer on eBay.
      ROB

14. 08-06-2005 08:43 PM #39
      hi, how do you remove the black plastic cover on the front to gain access to the front screws of the phatnoise attaching it to the alum case? i was able to pry the top part but couldn't pry the bottom part...i don't like to force it w/o breaking the plastic...tia

15. 08-26-2005 03:23 AM #40
      Hey 20v_boost, how did you modify the electronics so that the port is on the side? I suspect it has something to do with the 20 pin cable?
      Can you post some step by step instructions with pics?
      Thanks!

16. 09-05-2005 06:21 PM #41
      just did what 'rtmeikle' did and i'm posting a couple of pics of how it looked on mine...thanks to 'rtmeikle' for the idea and 'where2' for the instructions (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2170446) on how to take off the black cover to remove the front screws.
      this is how the case looked like after i took the phatnoise off it...

and the installed phatnoise w/o the case in the cd changer slot held down by a binder clip...the install is flush so you can put the slot cover back...

Modified by neutered at 10:03 PM 9-5-2005

17. 02-20-2006 02:29 PM #42
      I really like 20v_boost's install, but you dont really go into what you did other then the photos. It looks like you rotated the lower board and then milled out the side? I think i will follow in your foot steps if possible. However, the hazard install is pretty good to.
      Is there anyone that makes a smaller case for it?

18. 03-01-2006 07:57 PM #43
      Two things:
      1. Where do i get the mounting braket for mounting the Phatbox into the CD changer slot, i'm guessing VW but is it for the box or for the changer?
      2. Even when i slide it in, my cartrage sticks out too far unlike my favorite install that i listed above.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 337
      11-11-2006 06:06 PM #44
      whooops
      2002 GTI 337
      1992 GTI 2.0 16v

Vehicles
      2002.5 GTi VR6 24V
      11-09-2007 02:40 PM #45
      I've removed the bottom screws off the PB, but the front will not un-lodge. Is there another screw I'm missing? I don't want to break it!
      Sorry for bringing this one back from the dead!
      Immersion.com
      2002.5 GTi VR6 24V

21. 11-09-2007 08:49 PM #46
      Read what I said here, (which coincidentally was listed 5 posts up in this thread you are reading...)
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2170446
      You're welcome. Have a nice time... Mine is sitting on a shelf upstairs with the cover still off it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12