VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

(Pics Fixed) OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS??

279K views 581 replies 148 participants last post by  nater 
#1 ·
EDIT: Let me start off by saying this post has become an incredible source of all sorts of good turbo install info (and it's subsequent "issues" that you encounter during the install). I'll keep these pics as long as I can (in their same address on my website) so that they never become bright red X's (that's the goal). If they do, contact me at ' nate@nateengel.com '.

Guys,
I just want to make sure I don't do something (ie. bolt something up) in the "wrong" order.
IE. My first guess would be to mount the exh manny to the head first then put the turbo on???
What I'd like to get from you guys is any TIPS that you've found that make the process a bit easier...
Basically it's an ATP stage 2 (i/c) with a "killa" TO4E Turbo on my GTi VR6 MK3.
TIA, guys...
Later,

Modified by nater at 12:57 PM 5-8-2004

#77 ·
wouldnt want to plumb that badboy up to crank case breather. Very bad idea unless you want 15psi being pushed into the top of your head.. LOL
I got a baggy of table leg caps (rubber from home depot in hardware area) so did Sofarkingfast and his is still holding. Push them on and clamp it on. Nice pics. I totally agree on how intimidating it can be starting a VR6T project thats why i started the VR6turbo group site. I hope it grows and helps more and more people with the "surprises" that come up building a VR6T. Good work

#80 ·
Re: (VR6 Mole)

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the good info on these nipple plugs.
VR6 Mole,
I'll let you know...as I def want to keep my a/c and I'll be NEEDING an a/c condensor.
And you are close.
I'm just west of Eagle, PA - straight shot down from you on Rt100.
I'll take a pic of what I get and post it up here so that others will get this stuff the first time around w/o having to post up like I did...Through all the searching and reading that is one thing that I never saw a post on.
Later,

#81 ·
Re: (nater)

Ok,
All of my plumbing is now done (basically)...
The only thing(s) really left to do is put back on the stock bumper (all cut up
), have the muffler shop do my dump tube for me (will take pics) and also have them do my exhaust...
But I'll have the oil pan back on tonight and new fluids (oil and coolant) in and will start her up.
Oh, one last thing...
Anybody have a diagram of ALL of the VACUUM lines I need to hook up here???
I'm confused...I see two nipples sticking out of my BOV and one or two coming out of my WG (I think...although I haven't looked at my WG for a while)...
Do I just route all of these back into my "vacuum system" in any way I can (ie. using brass Y connectors and just plugging them all in)?

Later,

#89 ·
Re: (J Dubya)

Quote, originally posted by J Dubya »
You only use the bottome Nipple on the BOV and the WG.

This is WRONG about the BOV. You use the top nipple on the BOV and the bottom nipple on the WG. You don't have to cap the lower nipple unless you are rerouting.

#92 ·
Re: (nater)

Ok,
So my next step is to get the downpipe connected to either the flange on my stock CAT or to get it connected to a test pipe...
Problem is, the flange on my 3" DP is huge and my exhaust (w/o cat) is a TT 2.5"...
So, how long of a test pipe do I need (to go from downpipe to AFTER the cat) and where can I get that large flange so that I can just have the muffler shop weld it in place for me...?????
I heard Pep Boys (much like autozone) has some misc exhaust parts...do you think I can find what I need there?

Later,

#94 ·
Re: (Ohio Brian)

Quote, originally posted by Ohio Brian »
Go to an exhaust shop, they should have a flange. That's where I got one for my 3". Take your cat or something to get the bolt pattern.
Summit sells reducers that can be welded to pipes to reduce the size.

Thanks buddy.
Found a local muffler shop that did the welding for me today. Car is about done.
I'll be firing her up tomorrow or during the week.
Later,

#99 ·
Re: (95GLS)

Quote, originally posted by 95GLS »
An update would be great..also, anyone know where to buy reasonably priced silicone connectors?

I fired up the car yesterday. I need to get the car to the muffler shop again b/c the guy didn't weld something perfectly. So, I'll be putting the front end back on today and get it "roadworthy" so nobodys' looking at me crazy....
I'll hit pep boys up for some exhaust parts to get me a bit quieter for the trip.
Car should be done this week. I've got a CLEARANCE issue with where the short U bend pipe goes into the TB. It is hitting the turbo really badly!!!! Any tips guys? I'm just going to hammer the hell out of it today until it fits?????
Later,

#101 ·
Re: (mattstacks)

Matt,
There has to be an easier way of doing this??? I've seen these ATP stage 2 kits installed w/o the short runners w/o any "visable" issues so someone has to know how to do it.
I'm getting 'interference' w/ my intake pipe that goes into the TB with the Turbo...
I guess I could get a longer silicone connector and just use that as a flexible connector...my only fear is that under hard engine movement it may pop off...
Any more suggestions???
I'll post up pics this afternoon of what I'm upagainst...
Later,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.