VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

(Pics Fixed) OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS??

279K views 581 replies 148 participants last post by  nater 
#1 ·
EDIT: Let me start off by saying this post has become an incredible source of all sorts of good turbo install info (and it's subsequent "issues" that you encounter during the install). I'll keep these pics as long as I can (in their same address on my website) so that they never become bright red X's (that's the goal). If they do, contact me at ' nate@nateengel.com '.

Guys,
I just want to make sure I don't do something (ie. bolt something up) in the "wrong" order.
IE. My first guess would be to mount the exh manny to the head first then put the turbo on???
What I'd like to get from you guys is any TIPS that you've found that make the process a bit easier...
Basically it's an ATP stage 2 (i/c) with a "killa" TO4E Turbo on my GTi VR6 MK3.
TIA, guys...
Later,

Modified by nater at 12:57 PM 5-8-2004

#4 · (Edited)
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (QuickA2)

Ok, so I guess it's obvious that I've got to clock this turbo so the it's pointing exactly 180deg from where it is, correct?
And the blue cap on the top is actually the oil feed?
I want to make sure I've got the oil feed and the oil return correct...
My guess is that the oil return is indeed (in these pics) on the bottom (just beyond where you can see)?
And, both flanges look identical to me so how can I tell for sure?
And, the red circular caps are for what purpose??? There are two of them (one is pictured and the other is on the other side).

Later,

Modified by nater at 5:30 PM 5-5-2004

#6 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (nater)

Quote, originally posted by nater »
Ok, so I guess it's obvious that I've got to clock this turbo so the it's pointing exactly 180deg from where it is, correct?
And the blue cap on the top is actually the oil feed?
I want to make sure I've got the oil feed and the oil return correct...
My guess is that the oil return is indeed (in these pics) on the bottom (just beyond where you can see)?
And, both flanges look identical to me so how can I tell for sure?
And, the red circular caps are for what purpose??? There are two of them (one is pictured and the other is on the other side).

Later,

Modified by nater at 5:30 PM 5-5-2004

clock the turbo 180*
top of the Turbo is for oil inlet
bottom is for outlet (don't forget the teflon tape)
red caps are for water cooling (optional), with very little work you can use your stock TB coolant lines.

#7 · (Edited)
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (schrickedVR6)

Quote, originally posted by schrickedVR6 »

clock the turbo 180*
top of the Turbo is for oil inlet
bottom is for outlet (don't forget the teflon tape)
red caps are for water cooling (optional), with very little work you can use your stock TB coolant lines.

Thanks Highpsi...
Schrickedvr6...
I have clocked the turbo:

Ok, so I can keep the water cooling plugged up for now? Or should I not run it unless it's water cooled?
As for the Tephlon tape...I've got ATP's hardware kit which has a lot of gaskets and stuff...one of them matches up the oil return on the bottom...my guess is that's what I need for it.
So far (with these pics), so good????
Will update with pics as I progress tonight...
Later,

#9 · (Edited)
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (nater)

I just screwed in the brass oil feed line as the hardware kit had no "flange" as the oil return DID. I figure this is ok and doesn't need any particular "seal".
My supercharger oil feed/return was just threaded like this too...and had no particular seal on it either...
I assume it all looks good, eh?

Keep the help coming guys...I'm fairly mechanically inclined (installed cams, supercharger, etc...) but this is an entirely different ballgame.
Much appreciated!
Later,

#13 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (Fox-N-It)

Quote, originally posted by Fox-N-It »
Looks like the wastegate will dump into the block

Might need to rotate it 180.

Are you sure? Only reason I ask is that when I rotated it 180degrees before it seemed to bump into the downpipe where it connects at the exhaust housing of the turbo...
Can someone help with this???

Later,

#15 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (I am Jack's VR6)

I think those studs would be better used on the wastegate than the oil return flange. You can just use some bolts on the oil return flange.
Make sure the gaskets you got for the wastegate have "fire rings"... basically a metal ring in the center so they don't blow out.
Definitely use some teflon tape on the threads of the oil feed line.

#16 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (2kjettaguy)

Where can I get some wastegate gaskets w/ the 'fire-rings'?
Just got a 38mm direct from Tial and the gaskets are do not contain metal as far as I can tell...
Awesome post Nater, you're doing 1/2 the work for me!

#17 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (GKONYA)

Quote, originally posted by GKONYA »
Where can I get some wastegate gaskets w/ the 'fire-rings'?
Just got a 38mm direct from Tial and the gaskets are do not contain metal as far as I can tell...

I got mine from ATP.

#19 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (2kjettaguy)

Quote, originally posted by 2kjettaguy »

Definitely use some teflon tape on the threads of the oil feed line.

NO, NO, NO. DO NOT use teflon tape on an oil feed line
Always use teflon paste/pipe dope. No pipe tape or silicone RTV. The oil passages and journal bearings in most turbos are rather small and a little sliver of tape or piece of silicone can plug them. Most of the time if you are careful you can get away with it, but it is not a risk worth taking in my opinion. I rebuild turbos at work and have seen more than one fail because of tape or silicone leading to oil starvation. Just my $.02

#20 · (Edited)
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (HIGH PSI)

More pics...
wg fixed and rotated 180degrees. There's no 'easy' way to re-route that wg back into the exhaust or does it just go into the atmosphere? And, if so...does it make the car much louder???
Here's the updated pics:

Keep the help coming guys!!!!

Later,

#22 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (Marty)

Quote, originally posted by Marty »
If you bought a turbo with a water jacket, then hook up the water lines.

Take the line off the TB....

Wastegate dump: you'll need to make a pipe that
goes to the ground or feeds back into the DP.
Most folks, like me, can't wait to get the turbo up and running
so we run a pipe, and end up leaving it that way....

Jeff

#23 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (Marty)

Quote, originally posted by Marty »
If you bought a turbo with a water jacket, then hook up the water lines.

I did.
I'll use the lines going in and out of my TB, right?
Do you know where I can get the fittings which will allow me to hook these lines up?
And what really happens if I don't run it watercooled when it has that option? Is it really bad for the turbo???
And if I have the water hooked up does it mean I still need a turbo timer b/c doesn't the aux water pump just keep pumping to keep things cool anyway?
Or is it a matter of the oil just caking up inside the turbo???
Oh, by the way...I could really use a diagram of exactly how to plumb this setup (i/c) b/c I'm totally clueless. I've got the atp stage 2 plumbing and intercooler but it's all a big pile if isht right now
Later,

#24 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (Jefnes3)

Quote, originally posted by Jefnes3 »

Take the line off the TB....

Wastegate dump: you'll need to make a pipe that
goes to the ground or feeds back into the DP.
Most folks, like me, can't wait to get the turbo up and running
so we run a pipe, and end up leaving it that way....

Jeff

Jeff,
what happens if I just leave it to dump w/o a pipe? I mean, it's still dumping, just in a differnt part of the engine, right?
Later,

#25 ·
Yeah there are a few parts that dont come in the stage II kit they dont mention or supply. Dump tube is one. You dont want to Waste under hood that is raw exhause under your hood being vented which can easily make it to air intake for cabin air and well you know. Sofarkingfast and I both have same setup we have a local shop that will make us dump tubes for $40 to get the exhaust down to the road at lease.

#26 ·

Quote, originally posted by nater »
what happens if I just leave it to dump w/o a pipe? I mean, it's still dumping, just in a differnt part of the engine, right?

The temperature of the gas you're dumping is between 1200 and 1600 degrees. Do you really want all that hot air at the top of your engine bay?
Not to mention the fact that it is just raw exhaust fumes.
If you don't reroute, at least make a dump tube that allows the exhaust gas out of your engine bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.