VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

(Pics Fixed) OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS??

279K views 581 replies 148 participants last post by  nater 
#1 ·
EDIT: Let me start off by saying this post has become an incredible source of all sorts of good turbo install info (and it's subsequent "issues" that you encounter during the install). I'll keep these pics as long as I can (in their same address on my website) so that they never become bright red X's (that's the goal). If they do, contact me at ' nate@nateengel.com '.

Guys,
I just want to make sure I don't do something (ie. bolt something up) in the "wrong" order.
IE. My first guess would be to mount the exh manny to the head first then put the turbo on???
What I'd like to get from you guys is any TIPS that you've found that make the process a bit easier...
Basically it's an ATP stage 2 (i/c) with a "killa" TO4E Turbo on my GTi VR6 MK3.
TIA, guys...
Later,

Modified by nater at 12:57 PM 5-8-2004

#128 ·
Re: (nater)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Your running a chip right? Don't forget that the ECU needs some time to adapt(as good as it can), so proly the engine will run bad and a little rich at first, but then after a few miles and some engine cool downs it will run better.
Well that's for my car, but it's obdI, i think that with odbII it adapts a little faster.

#129 ·
Re: OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS?? (Marty)

Quote, originally posted by Marty »

The water passages are threaded. I've only seen NPT taped passages personally. Mine were standard 3/8" NPT. Just get some standard brass fittings to adapt from the 3/8" NPT to the 5/16" barb of the stock TB coolant lines. A right angle will make your life easier. Use the spring-loaded type clamps (like the stock ones on the TB coolant connections), as the screw type will slowly leak coolant.

Where did you get these brass coolant line connectors? They should be the same size as those on a T3 right?

#131 ·

Quote, originally posted by nater »

I was just thinking that as long as I had them all connected together with one "source" of vacuum I'd be ok...but I totally forgot about the FPR...

Yeah you the right idea but you forgot one important part, to connect a vacuum source! Where do you expect the bov, wastegate, or the FPR to get a vacuum signal from if they are only connected to each other. This is your problem. At idle your car is getting way too much fuel, in boost your car is getting way too little fuel. The only time the fueling is correct without a vacuum signal on the FPR is when you are at 0 vacuum.

#133 ·
Re: (jasonknezo)

Quote, originally posted by jasonknezo »
we messed around with the piping, redid some vaccum lines and redid the throttle body intercooler pipe and i have to say it ran better but now it needs some custom chip tuning, at 9 psi its damn fast

Yes, it needs Jeff's attention. But I took it out today and it rips.
Goddam, is that WG LOUD!!! I'm def having it re-routed back into the exhaust later this week.
But it's amazing how quiet the exhaust is. I mean, it's quieter than stock but an amazing tone that the turbo adds...a nice rumble.
Later,

#134 ·

damn man, good to see your almost done with your project bro! Have you fixed you car up yet? That dude up there is right about your FPR. I'm almost positive that is why the car isn't running.. You NEED your vac source to that.. I just finished with my own project as well so if you have any questions let me know and I can walk you through whatever you need http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#136 ·

Yes, it needs Jeff's attention. But I took it out today and it rips.
Goddam, is that WG LOUD!!! I'm def having it re-routed back into the exhaust later this week.
But it's amazing how quiet the exhaust is. I mean, it's quieter than stock but an amazing tone that the turbo adds...a nice rumble.
Later,

My open gate isn't loud at all. Actually, I can't here it at all. It turns 90 degrees out of the gate and is open. Is ther something wrong with mine? Builds boost to about 12-13 and stays their until I shift. Starts spooling at about 2500, hits about 5 at 3k, fully spooled by about 4500-4800.

#137 ·
Re: (BlownGinster)

nater, some complete pics of vac and boost lines would be great..maybe even a little diagram or some "help" from paint in your pics would be awesome..I'm sure there are more of us who could use this than me, great job documenting everything http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#138 ·
Re: (95GLS)

Now that I know it's all working correctly I'll take a couple pics of the engine bay which shows everything....
That way we can keep these pics on this thread for others to see.

But to be honest, my problems were quite simple and almost idiotic
so I doubt anyone else will have major problems like I had. I mean, even though my car was freaking out it was a matter of just connecting one or two lines and all was well. No biggie.
Later,

#141 ·
Re: (jasonknezo)

Quote, originally posted by jasonknezo »
u should also show the "custom" throttle body intercooler pipe hammer tuned

I'd like to...but am afraid to pull that thing off for fear of NEVER getting it back on again.
Can you imagine me posting a HELP thread asking for two guys to come over to my place to get a goddam pipe back in.
Goddam Wh0re of a car
Later,

#145 ·
Re: (Marty)

Quote, originally posted by Marty »
That's what you get for buying ATP piping! You knew it was coming.

Actually Marty,
That's what I didn't know was coming. Of all the investigative threads I searched through nothing said the piping wouldn't fit quite right...

To be honest, I thought it was the best way to go...if I bought their i/c with piping I knew that it would be 'close'....
It wasn't too bad I suppose.
I had a very large oil leak coming out of my oil filter housing that I had to tear the entire front end of the car off to get to today...
But it's fixed. Seems I didn't torque down my oil feed brass fitting quite enough.
While I was in there I used teflon tape (making very sure not to interfere with any oil passages) on every single fitting and torqued them down very well.
Not a drop of oil came out while it idled for over 30 mins tonight
On sat I get the exhaust done and AM DEF GETTING THE DUMP TUBE REROUTED b/c the damn thing is LOUD AS BALLS
Not my cup o tea.
But shes up and running.

Later,

#147 ·

Actually Marty,
That's what I didn't know was coming. Of all the investigative threads I searched through nothing said the piping wouldn't fit quite right...

To be honest, I thought it was the best way to go...if I bought their i/c with piping I knew that it would be 'close'....
It wasn't too bad I suppose.
I had a very large oil leak coming out of my oil filter housing that I had to tear the entire front end of the car off to get to today...
But it's fixed. Seems I didn't torque down my oil feed brass fitting quite enough.
While I was in there I used teflon tape (making very sure not to interfere with any oil passages) on every single fitting and torqued them down very well.
Not a drop of oil came out while it idled for over 30 mins tonight
On sat I get the exhaust done and AM DEF GETTING THE DUMP TUBE REROUTED b/c the damn thing is LOUD AS BALLS
Not my cup o tea.
But shes up and running.

Later,

When I was researching their piping I found story after story about how it fit like crap, how people wished they never bought it, etc etc. I don't remember how much was actually documented in threads, but I did speak to many different people who had installed the piping at one time or another.

#148 ·

There is no way I should be maxing this turbo out at 12-13psi. If it wasn't opening, shouldn't I have a lot higher reading? After it spools, it is dead level until I shift. My MBC can adjust it up and down. I took apart the wastegate tonight. I couldn't actuate it by hand. It had a black, extremly stiff spring in it. I have a few others that came with it. There is very little "soot" in the "blowout tube". With a lighter or no spring in it, it opens smooth by hand. Any ideas why it's not loud? I have a 90 atatched directly to the wastegate that points down about 1.5". That's it. Car pulls hard though
Wouldn't mind a faster spool.

#150 ·
Re: (BlownGinster)

Quote, originally posted by BlownGinster »
There is no way I should be maxing this turbo out at 12-13psi. If it wasn't opening, shouldn't I have a lot higher reading? After it spools, it is dead level until I shift. My MBC can adjust it up and down. I took apart the wastegate tonight. I couldn't actuate it by hand. It had a black, extremly stiff spring in it. I have a few others that came with it. There is very little "soot" in the "blowout tube". With a lighter or no spring in it, it opens smooth by hand. Any ideas why it's not loud? I have a 90 atatched directly to the wastegate that points down about 1.5". That's it. Car pulls hard though
Wouldn't mind a faster spool.

Yeah, thats weird.. I have about the same size turbo as you, maybe alittle bigger and its freakin LOUD (im running 9 PSI)! when i drive by the WG drowns out every note my car makes.. It is true that the higher the psi the quieter it would be, but you should still be able to hear it quite noticibly.. But if it spools fine, and you get the boost you want, I wouldn't worry about it..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.