Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: (Pics Fixed) OK. So my entire ATP turbo kit is here: logical first steps??? TIPS??

1. 05-05-2004 11:56 PM #26
      Quote, originally posted by nater »
      what happens if I just leave it to dump w/o a pipe? I mean, it's still dumping, just in a differnt part of the engine, right?

The temperature of the gas you're dumping is between 1200 and 1600 degrees. Do you really want all that hot air at the top of your engine bay?
      Not to mention the fact that it is just raw exhaust fumes.
      If you don't reroute, at least make a dump tube that allows the exhaust gas out of your engine bay.

2. 05-05-2004 11:57 PM #27
      Yeah, what he said
      /me pays the price for getting distracted before finishing the thread

3. 05-06-2004 12:08 AM #28
      Heres what my dump looks like.. Can't see a whole lot, but you get the idea

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      05-06-2004 05:16 AM #29
      Jeff,
      what happens if I just leave it to dump w/o a pipe? I mean, it's still dumping, just in a differnt part of the engine, right?
      Later,

You'll fill the engine bay with hot rich exhaust and possibly induct that same exhaust back in to your intake. Just take the manifold off, bolt the wastegate and the turbo and the downpipe together, buy a 1.5" diameter mandrel stainless bathroom handle from Home Depot, take it all to an exhaust shop and have them weld together a reroute like so:

5. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 4Mo 3.6L Wagon, 98 VRt, 2010 Routan/Caravan :)
      05-06-2004 07:15 AM #30
      Marty,
      Would an exh shop have those flanges you used on each end of the pipe on either side of that "flex section-looking part"?
      That leads me to my next Q...
      Is that indeed some type of flex section or is it just the picture playing games with me?
      Is that just a straight 1.5" pipe in b/w the curved parts that the shop supplied?
      So, if I've got this correct...
      You went to HD and bought one of their SS mandrel 1.5" bathroom handle, gave it to the shop and told them what you wanted to do...and they supplied the short straight tube and the flanges and welded it all together, correct?
      I'll do this over the weekend then...
      Just let me know I've got this correct so I don't walk into this muffler shop and them stare at me like I'm an idiot!
      Later,

Vehicles
      96 Jetta VR6, 01 TT 225, 07 GTI 4dr
      05-06-2004 08:44 AM #31
      exhaust shop isn't going to have tial 38mm flanges. You'll need to get some from ATP. The stainless bath handle rocks. Flex section is a good idea since stainless expands and contracts quite a bit. I'm not sure where to get one that small. The one Marty has looks like a hydraulics part.
      Definitely do a re-route. Open dumps sound ugly (IMO)

Vehicles
      VEMS Spnsored GTI
      05-06-2004 09:03 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by 2kjettaguy »

i personally love the sound, its like
      "rrrruuumrrrrrrrrRRRRRR I MEAN BISUNESS"
      VEMS - Standalone
      2.0 16vt 35r VEMS 1600cc on e85
      2.0 AEB 6765 VEMS 2000cc on e85
      AEB 1.8t 6057 vems and eurodyne 870 dailly on 93

8. 05-06-2004 10:32 AM #33
      THIS IS GREAT! this should be made sticky.

9. 05-06-2004 11:16 AM #34
      O.K.
      intercoller piping goes:
      turbo out let to the small L pipe with the bung on it. Then to light u shaped piece \_____/, then to L shaped piece the goes from 2" to 3" and has a spot to bolt it to the bottom of the tranny, then to 3" U shaped then intercooler, then out of intercooler with 3" L shaped piece to another L shaped piece that will be facing up in the place your evap canister would be, then the long L shaped piece with the BOV flange, to the short L shaped piece that turns into 3", to the throttle body.
      Hope that helps.

05-06-2004 11:27 AM #35

Does anyone know what is the bolt size for the oil return flange, and the DP where it meets the turbo housing I need those

11. 05-06-2004 11:40 AM #36
      Oil return 8mm x 20mm...2
      Not sure on the DP bolts,I would call them.

12. 05-06-2004 12:34 PM #37
      Quote, originally posted by mattstacks »
      O.K.
      intercoller piping goes:
      turbo out let to the small L pipe with the bung on it. Then to light u shaped piece \_____/, then to L shaped piece the goes from 2" to 3" and has a spot to bolt it to the bottom of the tranny, then to 3" U shaped then intercooler, then out of intercooler with 3" L shaped piece to another L shaped piece that will be facing up in the place your evap canister would be, then the long L shaped piece with the BOV flange, to the short L shaped piece that turns into 3", to the throttle body.
      Hope that helps.

No to contradict, cause I have not installed my kit yet...
      But I think the first L piece that you refer to as connecting to the turbo outlet is actually connected as the intake pipe to the compressor inlet.
      And the piping should go from 2" to 2.5" w/ only the 3" section at the throttle body.
      Let me know if any of this is incorrect, I want to be sure I understand this for my install. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      Here is a pic of the Tial gaskets w/ WG.
      Do these look acceptable or do I need to seek some w/ the fire-ring as mentioned??

13. 05-06-2004 01:25 PM #38
      The piece that I am talking about is the piece between the down pipe and the L piece in this picture . It has the small nipple on it.
      The piece that goes to the compressor inlet that would have have an air filteron it is not in this picture.
      well it is in that picture just still in its bubble wrapping on the right side.
      the piece that goes to the throttle body is the J shaped piece that has a 3" end to it.

It is the smaller L piece with the bung.

The fire ring that was mentioned is the metal ring in that picture between the gate and the gaskets.
      This ring needs to go inbetween the manifold and the gate.

Modified by mattstacks at 1:29 PM 5-6-2004

14. 05-06-2004 01:38 PM #39
      Ok, I'm missing the short L nippled pipe then. Guess I'll deal w/ it during the install...damn.
      What pipes into the nipple?
      I got the t3t4 piping kit, but plans changed and am going full t4.

Thanks for confirming the fire ring and thanks for clarifying for me.

15. 05-06-2004 01:57 PM #40
      what that nipple is for is a good question.
      I assumed it was for the breather coming from the cam cover, but after thought I wasnt sure.
      Since it would be getting that positive pressure from the turbo.
      Honestly I dont know .
      And ATP wont answer their phone. Of course.
      I just welded mine shut.

16. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      05-06-2004 05:14 PM #41
      exhaust shop isn't going to have tial 38mm flanges. You'll need to get some from ATP. The stainless bath handle rocks. Flex section is a good idea since stainless expands and contracts quite a bit. I'm not sure where to get one that small. The one Marty has looks like a hydraulics part.

So, tell me this...
      Is this the part I need then???
      http://www.atpturbo.com/Mercha...e=FLS
      This is explained on atp's website as:
      "Steel - External Wastegate Drilled Flange" and they go on to explain it like this:
      "CNC'd steel external wastegate weld flange. Designed for Turbonetics Deltagate or Tial 38mm external wastegate. Perfect for dump tubes. Mounting holes are drilled through. Flange is 3/8" thick to prevent warping in high temperature applications."
      So, how many of these flanges do I need for this application? My guess is two is fine? drilled, not tapped?
      Here's what I picked up today from The Home Depot:

Am I in the right direction????
      Later,
      Last edited by nater; 07-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      05-06-2004 05:22 PM #42
      I purchased the stainless flexible stuff from JCWhitney. It was about $25 for 5 feet or so IIRC. I would recommend using a couple Tial flanges like I did. You need to pay attention to which flanges need to be threaded and which need to be clearance holes. I made my L dump pipe with clearance flanges on both ends, and welded a tapped flange on the end that goes in to the downpipe. This made it incredibly easy to install, and will be very easy to take apart. But as long as you have a long flex section in there, you could get away with just one flange that attaches to the Tial, and bend it out of way when you're assembling.

18. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      05-06-2004 07:57 PM #43
      Guys,
      What fitting(s) do I need to run my TB coolant/water lines in and out of the turbo????
      It seems so easy but I need some special fittings for this, correct?

Later,

19. 05-06-2004 08:10 PM #44
      this is the best thread ever keep on posting ur progress

20. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      05-06-2004 08:53 PM #45
      Quote, originally posted by Blak Golf »
      this is the best thread ever keep on posting ur progress

It is, but I only created it...
      It's really amazing how everybody is actually putting their $.02 in and making this the awesome thread that it is.
      I'll keep posting pics as I go AND will try and keep them active for as long as I can on my website. The goal is that these pics don't become X's and others can learn before they get started. Wouldn't that be awesome?!
      Now, back to my question I posted two posts up...about fittings for coolant lines...where can I get these and what are they called exactly???

Later,

Vehicles
      96 Jetta VR6, 01 TT 225, 07 GTI 4dr
      05-06-2004 09:08 PM #46
      Guys,
      What fitting(s) do I need to run my TB coolant/water lines in and out of the turbo????
      It seems so easy but I need some special fittings for this, correct?

Later,

Mine were 5/18" - 11 threads... I tapped it out using a 3/8"-11 NPT tap so I could use brass fittings from Home Depot.

22. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      05-06-2004 09:17 PM #47
      Mine were 5/18" - 11 threads... I tapped it out using a 3/8"-11 NPT tap so I could use brass fittings from Home Depot.

Ok,
      So let me understand this right...
      The coolant "holes" on the turbo housing are just holes - ie. not threaded?
      So, you used a 3/8"-11NPT tap and actually created the thread for the inside of those holes, correct?
      Then just screwed in the 5/18"-11 threads?
      And you meant, 5/18"-11 not 5/8"-11...
      Please correct me if I'm wrong here...just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Later,

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      05-06-2004 09:49 PM #48
      Ok,
      So let me understand this right...
      The coolant "holes" on the turbo housing are just holes - ie. not threaded?
      So, you used a 3/8"-11NPT tap and actually created the thread for the inside of those holes, correct?
      Then just screwed in the 5/18"-11 threads?
      And you meant, 5/18"-11 not 5/8"-11...
      Please correct me if I'm wrong here...just want to make sure I do this correctly.

Later,

The water passages are threaded. I've only seen NPT taped passages personally. Mine were standard 3/8" NPT. Just get some standard brass fittings to adapt from the 3/8" NPT to the 5/16" barb of the stock TB coolant lines. A right angle will make your life easier. Use the spring-loaded type clamps (like the stock ones on the TB coolant connections), as the screw type will slowly leak coolant.

24. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      05-06-2004 10:16 PM #49
      Quote, originally posted by Marty »
      The water passages are threaded. I've only seen NPT taped passages personally. Mine were standard 3/8" NPT. Just get some standard brass fittings to adapt from the 3/8" NPT to the 5/16" barb of the stock TB coolant lines. A right angle will make your life easier. Use the spring-loaded type clamps (like the stock ones on the TB coolant connections), as the screw type will slowly leak coolant.

Nice,
      So it's easlier than I thought!!!!
      Thanks bro!
      Now,
      anybody know where I can source these fittings? As simple as hitting The Home Depot or any local hardware store? Or is this more of a specialty item?
      Later,

25. Global CSI Moderator
      Vehicles
      05-06-2004 10:18 PM #50
      Oh, And does it matter which side is intake and exhaust (regarding the coolant)???
      Or will it go through either way?
      Later,

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast