VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

OT: Formula 1 chatter and race updates

1M views 21K replies 194 participants last post by  XXX 1.8T 
#1 ·
Formula 1 chatter and race updates

Rather than starting a new thread every race, I thought it might be an idea to keep an F1 thread going. This will allow us to post updates on the behind the scenes manoevuring and goings-on. Which frankly, is more interesting than the racing at the moment.

Modified by mdt at 12:00 AM 7-10-2005

#16,961 ·
Steve, I think there are actually more homeless people in America.
That may be true, and perhaps even on a per capita basis. However, it doesn't change the fact that the onset of big business capitalism in Malaysia is ripping the country apart on social and environmental fronts. The fact that the same thing happens in America is hardly a justification, nor is it excusable. Human rights are still being abused. In Malaysia, there is not a system that protects rights like there is in America, and Americas system is crap.

This is getting further and further away from the issue at hand. Bahrain residents are under direct immediate attack from a government determined to hold onto its power. The scale of the violence at present is worthy of protest.

#16,962 ·
That may be true, and perhaps even on a per capita basis. However, it doesn't change the fact that the onset of big business capitalism in Malaysia is ripping the country apart on social and environmental fronts. The fact that the same thing happens in America is hardly a justification, nor is it excusable. Human rights are still being abused. In Malaysia, there is not a system that protects rights like there is in America, and Americas system is crap.

This is getting further and further away from the issue at hand. Bahrain residents are under direct immediate attack from a government determined to hold onto its power. The scale of the violence at present is worthy of protest.
I don't disagree with anything you said there, however I am wondering now if the protestors in Bahrain actually want us to watch the race (now that it is on) so that they have an audience for their protest?

#16,965 ·
I don't disagree with anything you said there, however I am wondering now if the protestors in Bahrain actually want us to watch the race (now that it is on) so that they have an audience for their protest?
I put up an article yesterday that had a quote from an opposition spokesman saying that's exactly what they want (ie. not stop the race, but piggyback off the global audience).

:beer:

#16,969 ·
Scarbs has some more of my pics up on his blog. Caterham upright, and RBR supercaps (which is a particularly interesting one - I had zero idea what I was looking at when I took the pics)
I'm no electrical engineer but I've read a bit about caps here and there and was suprised they use "regular" batteries at all tbh and more suprised "super" caps arent the norm given the advantages.. but nfi how heavy/big they'd have to be to power the motor tho.. but yeah pretty interesting.. Nice goin ;)

#16,973 ·
ssshhh. Adults are speaking.

:laugh:
Don't laugh, when I look at the pics from MickyD, for example the front hubs, it looks exactly like an RC car! Haven't read the article on ScarbF1, but looking at his description on the photos, if I told someone in the RC scene that it is a pic of a RC race car, they would agree.

#16,974 ·
Sebastian Vettel's 2012 struggle looks set to continue for now.

It has emerged that, despite the reigning back-to-back champion preferring the launch version of the RB8, Red Bull has decided that Vettel will drive the latest specification of the car's exhaust layout in Bahrain this weekend.

Vettel had hoped modification guru Wayne Leng could offer Newey some advice, but Leng's car purchasing commitments have precluded this taking place.

In China, the team allowed Vettel to go back to the previous spec, while Mark Webber qualified better and finished higher with Adrian Newey's latest developments.

"He can't get the confidence he needs with the car," admitted Helmut Marko on Austrian Servus TV, "and this makes him make uncharacteristic mistakes."

Nonetheless, Red Bull has decided that the 'Webber-specification' exhaust is the right way forward.

"We will go on with the Mark Webber car," Marko confirmed.

As for why the team's Australian driver feels more comfortable in the updated car, Marko surmised: "Mark is less sensitive to the (car's) behavior.

"He just needs two wheels, but it's different for Vettel," he said.

via http://motortweets.com/markwebber/news/665995

#16,976 · (Edited)
I called Adrian after reading your post Lima. Told him I have no time, but I pointed him to a couple of good RC forums where he will get some good advise on how to fix his car and get a good set up. Told him that all he needs to do is to post some close up pics of the parts he is having issues with, but don't say that it's a 1:1 racing car, and he will get the best advise ever. Afterall, RC race cars race at a scale speed that is equivalent to 500kmh. F1 only does 300+ at the fastest circuits.

#16,977 ·
I called Adrian after reading your post Lima. Told him I have no time, but I pointed him to a couple of good RC forums where he will get some good advise on how to fix his car and get a good set up. Told him that all he needs to do is to post some close up pics of the parts he is having issues with, but don't say that it's a 1:1 racing car, and he will get the best advise ever. Afterall, RC race cars race at a scale speed that is equivalent to 500kmh. F1 only does 300+ at the fastest circuits.
I've seen a copy of this:

Dear Mr. Newey

Install a gyro

Kind Regards

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.