VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Haunted Stories MEGA THREAD!!!!

490K views 2K replies 661 participants last post by  BRealistic 
#1 ·
anybody here ever experienced the supernatural in their cars? did anybody get something extra with their project or restored car?
a friend of mine told me last night about an old toyota corona they bought back in the 90's. the car was an early 80's model. it was said that a friend of the previous owner figured in an accident, and died in the backseat on the way to the hospital. so what they did was they had the car blessed.
however, weird stuff started to occur. like the lights flashing once or twice at night... with a dead battery. also, my friend swore that he once heard some sort of "wheezing" sound from the car, like someone who has trouble breathing.
so anybody here experienced similar tales?

#74 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (vduBen)

Not that long ago, I was driving by myself to meet my friends at a campsite about an hour and a half away at about 10:30pm. It was completely pitch black and the road was deserted, so i was barreling along at 110km/h (the speed limit) when out of nowhere an incredible blinding light appeared in the distance ahead. At first i figured it just to be a car with their high beams on, but it just didn't get any closer to me as i drove further and further. Well, it started to freak me out, and i started to get more and more terrified as i kept driving and it didn't get any closer - I kept watching the clock expecting 4 hours to disappear from my life like all those people who have crazy alien abduction stories... Eventually I got so terrified that i almost stopped the car and was virtually paralysed with fear when the light disappeared. I kept driving, couldn't find any car, light, house anything. I still have no idea what it was - but the next time i went i made damn sure i had a friend in the passenger seat!

#75 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (enobar2)

here's another one. nothin crazy. its probably one of my first memories. i grew up in russia, cant really remember how old i was at the time. maybe 3, dunno.. all i remember was going to the living room while both my parents were still in the kitchen, making dinner. no one else was home. i remember sitting in the middle of the room, on the floor playing, the door was shut. all of a sudden i saw the door handle move down, as if someone was gonna open the door, then move back up slowly. the door never opened. so i cried out to my parents, both of them replied from the kitchen a second after the door handle moved.. no one was at the door.. that memory stuck to me like no other. my mom also had some really weird things happen in that apartment. she felt something push her in the hallway, while she was pregnant with me. also the family dog at the time would be absolutely terrified of this one cupboard (spelling??). the dog would just freak out sometimes while passing by it, it would jump away from it and take off running. thats pretty much that..
sweet thread tho! keep'em coming!

#76 ·
Re: (assideways)

Quote, originally posted by assideways »
just waiting for someone to mention how this thread turned from haunted cars to haunted houses.. but anyhoo. when going to school, i lived in a dorm, which was a building built back in the 20's. i guess way back it used to be a hotel, then an apartment building, maybe the other way around. lots of crazy stories about the building. i havent experienced anything at all, but always wondered. it was my junior year, i was living with 6 other guys in one huge apartment style dorm. it was about 4am, the only people were up was a friend of mine and myself. staying up that late and working though the night was the norm. so we were sketching, getting ready for some presentation, a movie was playing on his monitor. every now and then, i'd see him look up and over towards the kitchen, then look back at me and ask if i saw anything. i didnt see anything. btw, since we had so many people living there, plus people came to visit non stop, out front door was always open day and night. that night the door was closed. so throughout the night, i'd see him look up and over towards the kitchen area, which right past the front door. i'd just keep sketching. i'll admit that i'd hear various noises from the kitchen, or bathroom. nothing significant, just enough to get one's attention. so i'm sitting there sketching, when from the corner of my eye, i see a figure walk by towards the front door. just a dark shape, nothing distinct. i look over right there and then, so does my roommate. thing is, his desk was facing away from me. he looks over at me and goes "now did you see it!?!?!?" i was like "yeah......wtf was that.."
the door was closed and locked. everyone was sleeping. he described what he saw, and it was the same thing as what i saw. i guess he kept noticing that the whole night. that was the only time i encountered something like that, hopefully the last. we set up his web cam with the motion detection feature ON, in a pathetic attempt to catch the ghost on camera lol...
needless to say, nothing ever triggered it. well, thats my .02$

true story. still gives me goosebumps..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif god, I hated that building!!

#78 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (Kafer Wolf)

Quote, originally posted by Kaiservon »

You just haven't encountered anything yet. Or the ones you do are subtle, almost unnoticeable. But someday you might experience something that will shake you to the very core. Something that is completely unnatural and unexplainable. That occurance will change your views on life very, very fast.
I have seen and experienced many very bad, evil, and shocking things in my teens and early twentys. Things that still today leave me awake at night in utter anxiety and fear. I refuse to even watch horror movies anymore. I don't not care to relive those days. If you ever really, really want to see or experience things of this nature, then inquire or spend some time with your local priest, pastor, or exorcist. It will be a real learning experience. Not for the faint of heart though.

I don't doubt that you may have seen certain things that you thought may have been ghosts or specters. But I just don't buy into that stuff. IMO they don't exist, and things of this sort of nature can usually be explained by science. Also please take into account that some vortex posters drink and do drugs heavily and some are just sleep deprived students. So some of these stories can be taken with a huge hunkin grain of salt

#79 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (inurb)

Quote, originally posted by inurb »

IMO they don't exist, and things of this sort of nature can usually be explained by science.

I like to think that I am a sane and rational type of guy. I am a scientist by education and training. I don't take much at face value. I need research and data to convince me on most things. I say most because I too have experienced what I can only characterize as supernatural events.
Story 1:
My best friend was driving home from class one night down a local road. It was slightly foggy and granted he was speeding. He crested a hill only to find a dog in the middle of the road. He hit the brakes, hit the dog (with the rear fender) and then hit a tree broadside. The dog was killed, my friend broke a couple bones and the car was toast. Now, when he and I are travelling on that road we have both seen that damn dog wandering along the road. The same dog has caused three other similar accidents in the past 5 years in the same spot. However, the drivers report hitting a dog, but no dog, no impact marks, no blood, no fur, and no other evidence can be found.
Story 2:
Same best friend lived in a house that used to be servant's quarters on one of the farms in town. The house was close to 200 years old so it had a lot of "character." He had two cats, that were a pain in the butt, but we will get to them in a minute. We were just finishing watching the OJ low-speed chase on the news, flipping channels, and getting ready to call it a night when we heard the cat freak out upstairs. The cat came barreling down the stairs to the door that closed off the stairway from the living room. Since this was an old house, it had the old style fixtures. Not a door knob, but a bar latch that catches on a hook for a lock. We witnessed the latch lift up, the door open, the cat fly sideways across the room, the door close and then re-latch. The cat sat in the corner hissing as we sat on the couch terrified. Something walked in front of the TV partially masking the image, proceeded to the Cable box and we watched a button press down and the channels just start flipping at high speed.
Needless to say, we sat on that couch all night long!!!!
I have many more, expecially from near where I went to school, but I have to get some work done!!!!
Mikey

#80 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (mikeyworks)

Quote, originally posted by mikeyworks »
Story 2:
Same best friend lived in a house that used to be servant's quarters on one of the farms in town. The house was close to 200 years old so it had a lot of "character." He had two cats, that were a pain in the butt, but we will get to them in a minute. We were just finishing watching the OJ low-speed chase on the news, flipping channels, and getting ready to call it a night when we heard the cat freak out upstairs. The cat came barreling down the stairs to the door that closed off the stairway from the living room. Since this was an old house, it had the old style fixtures. Not a door knob, but a bar latch that catches on a hook for a lock. We witnessed the latch lift up, the door open, the cat fly sideways across the room, the door close and then re-latch. The cat sat in the corner hissing as we sat on the couch terrified. Something walked in front of the TV partially masking the image, proceeded to the Cable box and we watched a button press down and the channels just start flipping at high speed.
Needless to say, we sat on that couch all night long!!!!

Nothing like this has ever, ever happened to me. Sometimes I wish it would so I could be on the same level as people (such as yourself) that have seen something so unexplainable as this (or easily explainable, if you're willing) - but at the same time, I'm glad it hasn't happened. I'm not sure how I'd react.
oh, and hooray for mods that let us have a little off-topic fun every now and then.

#82 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (assideways)

this was freaky and I still have no explanation for it...hard to make it scary through writing but something I definitely experienced and to this day gives me chills.....well my friend Mike and I were driving up in the hills near Tillamook, Oregon.......quiet, curvy roads late at night (like 2 or 3 am), and a dark shadow of an animal appeared in the middle of the road, but when I got closer it wasn't there. I can't even describe it...it was most similar to a dog but not really. Well another quarter of a mile up the road, we saw the same thing. It was almost like a shadow, but something you could touch....if that makes any sense at all (and we were sober btw...lol). I hadn't said a word and I said to Mike "did you just...." and he was like "yes...yes! wtf?!" I got goosebumps, freaked out and for whatever reason got so scared that I actually did a u-turn in the middle of the road and went flying back to where we came from. We both saw it....it WAS NOT a normal animal....and it appeared twice within a mile while we were going 50 mph or so. Probably not the best story but FREAKED ME OUT and to this day I still think we saw something paranormal....and I still get goosebumps....
I think you get a certain "feeling" when you encounter one of these things that's hard to put into words, but makes you more or less sure that what you're seeing is not normal and you need to take notice. you almost know for sure that your eyes are not playing tricks on you because your other senses are telling you that something is definitely amiss

Modified by LittleBlackGTI at 12:03 PM 6-2-2004

#83 ·
Two things:
I think it's very interesting that people who believe in this kind of stuff have multiple examples of supernatural experiences, while skeptics go their whole lives without every witnessing anything supernatural. It's almost as if you see (or don't see) what you want to (or don't want to). Perhaps our senses are more unreliable than we'd like to think.
Stephen King has said (something along the lines of) "The most powerful human emotion is fear, and the most powerful kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

Modified by jomagi at 3:35 PM 6-2-2004

#84 ·
Re: (jomagi)

Quote, originally posted by jomagi »
Two things:
I think it's very interesting that people who believe in this kind of stuff have multiple examples of supernatural experiences, while skeptics go their whole lives without every witnessing anything supernatural. It's almost as if you see (or don't see) what you want to (or don't want to). Perhaps our senses are more unreliable than we'd like to think.
Stephen King has said (something along the lines of) "The most powerful human emotion is fear, and the most powerful kind of fear is fear of the unknown."

Modified by jomagi at 3:35 PM 6-2-2004

I think our senses are much more capable of seeing a lot more than what we believe is normal http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#86 ·
One day I was sitting in my car, a 2001 Golf 1.8T, and was about to pull out of the garage. It was hot and I proceeded to open both of the windows, when *bang* all of a sudden the passenger's side window just disappeared into the door with a crunch.
I don't know if that was a supernatural event, but apparently a lot of people with VWs have experienced the very same thing.

Modified by chetacer at 7:47 AM 6-2-2004

#1,605 ·
One day I was sitting in my car, a 2001 Golf 1.8T, and was about to pull out of the garage. It was hot and I proceeded to open both of the windows, when *bang* all of a sudden the passenger's side window just disappeared into the door with a crunch.
I don't know if that was a supernatural event, but apparently a lot of people with VWs have experienced the very same thing.

Modified by chetacer at 7:47 AM 6-2-2004
:laugh:

I want more ghost stories!

#90 ·
Re: (chetacer)

Once I was going up to the NC moutains for a weekend. Highway 181 is very steep and curvy, but there are a few places that flatten out and offer a good view of the road. In one of these stretches, I glance into my rear view and see a guy on a Japanese motorcycle fly up on me and is almost in the vehicle with me. I look ahead for a split second and look back again, and he is gone. In this particular stretch of road, there is nowhere he could have gone. He did NOT pass me, fall back, turn off, or run off the road. It is pretty popular with motorcyclists, so I'm sure some bad things have happened there.

#91 ·
Re: (mtrainVR6)

i started reading this thread yesterday when it was sunny....and waited til today to finish it
...i'm such a wimp...esp b/c my home office is in the basement of my house where the original owner died...in the basement
. there was no way in HELL that i was going to read this thread last night

anywho...i had a small dog (maltese) that i raised from pup on. he was my constant companion growing up. he slept with me every night; he would scratch on the side of the bed to tell me he wanted up and then circle the bed to get comfortable.
several nights after he died, i was falling asleep. i felt scratching on the side of my bed. my eyes went
& i didn't move!!! i then felt "boz" circle around the bed before settling down (damn...i can feel the hair on the back of my neck rise now). then i got a real peaceful feeling. this happened several nights in a row & i regret never rolling over to see if it was boz. when it finally stopped, i was extremely sad b/c i felt that i had missed my chance to say goodbye to him

carry on
bill

#92 ·
I agree, I love reading this stuff!
But, I'm a skeptic. Probably because I personally have never witnessed anything that couldn't be explained. Sure I've thought I've seen a shadowy figure or noticed something moved, but it can always be solved scientifically. An eyelash in the corner of your eye or just not remembering that you moved something earlier.
But, some stories are so grand and elaborate you can't help but believe. Like the "Kitchen Story"...lots of details and lots of ghostly things going on...not to mention that it was violent in nature. But, the skeptic in me sees it as a lot of coincidences. The dangerous intersection, cemetery, and dead football player all play into your subconscience. Not to mention that the storyteller emphatically did not want to move...especially to that house (before you knew it was haunted). To me, it sounds like much of this could be explained with psychology...especially the dreams and figures that were "seen" right after sleeping.
I will never say that it can't happen...cause I've seen things that I never thought could happen. But until I witness a ghost in person, I will remain skeptical. I do, however, believe in aliens...as it is propable that another form of life exists elsewhere. But have they come to earth??? I don't think so.

#93 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (assideways)

Quote, originally posted by assideways »

too late. screw work. tell the stories.

Ok, it's close enough to lunch time to start early:
I went to college at St. Mary's College of Maryland. It's in a pretty remote county in southern MD. Down at the very tip of the county is an area known as Point Lookout. Currently it is a state park with all the nice trimmings. In the 1860's it was one of the largest Union POW camps of the Civil War. It is estimated that nearly 14,000 soldiers died there. In fact, one mass grave which is now depicted by a monument has nearly 4,000 bodies in it. The conditions there were beyond horid.
Well, if you go down there at night, it is not uncommon to hear men moaning, the sounds of coughing, seeing apparitions appearing walking between the trees, fighting (hand to hand struggles), or even the gentle tug at your clothes as you walk through the park. I have witnessed this on many occasions. I was a skeptic of the supernatural until I found this place!!!!
Away from school though, my friends moved into a house they purchased from their grandmother's estate after she passed away. Both the grandmother and grandfather had passed away in the house. The grandfather, whom I never met, was rumored to be a very mean man. The grandmother was gentle, but never liked my friend's wife. In fact, she would be downright mean to her.
After they moved into the house, they decided to update the decor. The wife was in the midst of painting their bedroom one day when she turned to notice a wall she just painted covered in hand prints. There was nobody else in the house, but she took pics of them. The pics showed the hand prints, but now we can't find them (go figure). This freaked her out a bit. As she continued painting, wierd things would happen; paint tip over on the new carpet, ladder would fall over, she ended up with a paint stripe on her clothes some how...
Finally she got fed up with it, put the brush down, and said, "Damn it, (grandfather's name). We live here now. I know you loved this house and you did a lot of work on it. But you're f#$king dead now. Get over it. We live here and we're going to stay. If you want to do something, pick up a f#$king brush and help me paint this wall. Ok?!!?!?!?!" To this day, freaky things happen in the house, but most of them seem for the good, with only the errant practical joke type anomaly.

That's enough for now...I need to eat.
Mikey

#94 ·

Well I don't believe in all of what has been typed, but I also believe there are some things in this world that can't be explained by science. Personally I have felt cold chills in my house before, and a few friends have felt them too in the hall. I was seven when we moved in and had nightmares of something stuck in the closet. I have always thought it was just nightmares, well thats what my parents say. A few years ago my parents decided to build rooms upstairs and put in a staircase. The attic was completely gutted to the rafters so we were building from scratch. I remember when I was helping my dad I had that same feeling of something not being right. Both of us kept losing tools that we had just put down. Now we were in an empty room so it was kind of hard to lose a hammer when neither of us left the room, but they would be gone. But we kept working like nothing was wrong. We would just hand off the tools that we did still have. When we would take a break the missing tools would be right there on the floor. My dad and I joked that it must be the work and the heat getting to us. About a week after we were done with the stairs I was talking to our neighbor telling her about how much we got done already and she said “oh your putting stairs in the house again”. She then told me about how the last owners had torn out the stairs and entire upstairs rooms after their daughter od up there. My neighbor told me about how she had problems and had to call an ambulance a couple times before because this chic was just messed up. I guess she was a total junky. I just stood there in shock and my neighbor was like what you didn’t know? After that I decided I didn’t want to move to the room upstairs so my sister jumped for the chance to move. I didn’t tell anyone what my neighbor told me until my sister mentioned hearing noises. My sister said she kept thinking someone was home downstairs when no one was because she could hear someone moving around and talking. To this day I still don’t like going up there. I don’t know if it’s my imagination or what, but I know my sister thinks she heard what she heard before she even knew the whole story and if you ask her about it she won’t talk about it.

#95 ·

wierdest thing that happened in my car...well, it wasnt a ghost or anything like that, I dont know what it was... one time I was coming back from a friends house in the boonies, no lights or anything around for a good while, I was stopped at a stop sign and I notcied that it was getting lighter out, I noticed the shadows in the car shifting (it was pretty faint, but i still remember it) I thought that maybe a semi was coming up behind me but there werent any cars in sight, then in the front windsheild, I see maybe like 1000 feet up, the biggest frickin fireball zip across the sky. Ive seen shooting stars and comets and crap, but this just was enormous, like plane crashing enourmous. Maybe it was a comet or something, but I remember seeing halebop years ago and this was way bigger way brighter.

#96 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (LittleBlackGTI)

Quote, originally posted by LittleBlackGTI »
this was freaky and I still have no explanation for it...hard to make it scary through writing but something I definitely experienced and to this day gives me chills.....well my friend Mike and I were driving up in the hills near Tillamook, Oregon.......quiet, curvy roads late at night (like 2 or 3 am), and a dark shadow of an animal appeared in the middle of the road, but when I got closer it wasn't there. I can't even describe it...it was most similar to a dog but not really. Well another quarter of a mile up the road, we saw the same thing. It was almost like a shadow, but something you could touch....if that makes any sense at all (and we were sober btw...lol). I hadn't said a word and I said to Mike "did you just...." and he was like "yes...yes! wtf?!" I got goosebumps, freaked out and for whatever reason got so scared that I actually did a u-turn in the middle of the road and went flying back to where we came from. We both saw it....it WAS NOT a normal animal....and it appeared twice within a mile while we were going 50 mph or so. Probably not the best story but FREAKED ME OUT and to this day I still think we saw something paranormal....and I still get goosebumps....

I can't be sure because obviously I wasn't there, but I think you may have seen a Black Bear. They're very common in the Tilamook forest, I've even had them in my tent before while camping.
I would imagine being late at night and tired, such an animal would look quite odd (if you've never encountered one in the wild before), especially considering how fast they are. You could see them one second and the next they're half a mile away.
I'm a skeptic with an unfortunate belief system in the paranormal. I'm facinated by stories about hauntings and unexplained occurrances, but terrified at the same time. One day I want to visit some of the abandoned asylums on the east coast... during the day... with portable floodlights and a priest.

#97 ·
Re: Haunted Car Stories (MkIII)

Quote, originally posted by MkIII »

I can't be sure because obviously I wasn't there, but I think you may have seen a Black Bear. They're very common in the Tilamook forest, I've even had them in my tent before while camping.

you've had them in your tent?!

I think we were actually wide awake...I can't explain it but it just wasn't an animal...I can't put into words why I don't think so...but it kept appearing and had this very haggard appearance too and something mean...but almost not something tangible. lol. I know I'm not making any sense but it's so hard to describe...