Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GUIDE: How to install a Camshaft

Vehicles
      Q7 4.2 V8 , Smart 451 Turbo
      06-03-2004 05:26 AM #1
      Just thought of creating a small interesting guide for those of us who don't know or they are afraid to do it.
      Here we go....
      This is a photo of my dirty engine bay. As you can see a valve cover gasket is gone. Too many oil dripping from the cover on the cylinder head.

So, I decided to change the gasket. Then I though, hmmmm why not change the camshaft with a one more agressive? So I bought a Kent 270 degrees camshaft.

But since I am about to change the camshaft, why not buy an adjustable cam gear to get the most out of it? After a little searching in the vortex and every ebay site known to me I come up with this.

Techtonics adjustable +-8 degrees brand new, which I got from D.A.T. here on the vortex. Top guy, sent it immediately! Good deal!
      I also bought a new gasket for 5 euros. its amazing something so cheap can get you into so many troubles....
      First I removed the accelerator cable, ISV and vacuum hose going to the brake servo. Now I have more room to work.

With everything removed over the valve cover, its time to attack the 8 10mm nuts holding it. Make sure you remove it carefully and you don't drop anything inside the engine.
      Under the valve cover you should have a plastic cover which helps lubricate the cam better. Remove this also.
      Then you will have something like this in front of you.

Check the edges of the cylinder head where the gasket was. There is oil everywhere. This had to be cleaned carefully....

Loose the belt tensioner and remove the belt from the cam gear. Don't worry about the marks. Its very easy to adjust the timing later on.
      Also get the 4 spark plugs out and place them on a clean piece of paper with the order you took them out.
      Now its time to remove the old cam gear from the camshaft. Using a 19mm socket undo the bolt. You can put something in the holes of the cam gear to stop it from moving. Be carefully not to damage the surface of the cylinder.
      Once the cam gear is out you can see this small part on the camshaft. Thats the woodruff key which acts as a guide for the cam gear.

Here is the slot that the woodruff key is supposed go. Make sure the curved side of the woodruff key is inside the camshaft slot.

And now the most important part of the uninstall!!!! The bearing caps.
      Undo the nuts evenly an all 4 caps to avoid excessive pressure on one side of the cam only. When the caps are almost out, put them on a clean paper the order you removed them. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! if you mix them you could have problems after.
      Here are mine. They go from left to right as excactly they are placed on the paper. I also kept the position of the nuts just to be safe.

The camshaft is removed. Now you see the tappets. In my engine are hydraulic and need no adjustment. If they were noisy before the install, now its a good chance to change them with new ones. They are not that expensive.

CLEANING TIME..... BLIAX!

Yes, yes that black thing on top of the plastic cover is oil. Just to get an idea of how clean your engine is inside....
      After a couple of hours of cleaning and ruining a few brushes everything is sparkling!
      Now, The installation of the new camshaft is the opposite of the uninstall obviously.... Make sure you use a lot of oil on the bearing caps and you install them in the order you removed them. Don't tight one cap at a time, but tight a little bit on each one evenly.
      Torque the camgear at 80nm.
      Before you tight them all the way try to turn the camshaft a few times to see if its hard or if its hitting anywhere. Don't worry about the pistons. The valves are nowhere near at hitting them because as we have said many many many times 8V engines are non interferent engines. [IMG]http://**********************/smile/emthup.gif[/IMG]
      According to the bentley the camshaft bearing cap nuts require 20nm of torque. Make sure you don't overtight them or you will have excessive wear and possibly damage your engine.
      The gasket is also installed. Make sure the surface is clean before you install it.
      Note how clean the plastic cover is now....

Once everything is nice and tight, double check on the caps and the gasket. Make sure the small orange rubber gasket is seated properly and the blue one also.
      Install the valve cover and torque the nuts at 10nm.
      Find the timing marks and make sure everything is put back together before you turn the key. Don't worry about wrong timing. If its wrong its just won't fire.
      Once the engine is running, keep it at 2000rpm for 20 mins to bend in the new cam.
      Now head for your nearest rolling road and tune your engine! Enjoy you extra 10hp!
      Job well done!
      Modified by Black_cabbie at 10:41 PM 10-26-2005

Modified by Black_cabbie at 10:45 PM 10-26-2005

Modified by Black_cabbie at 10:47 PM 10-26-2005
      Chip Tuning for a living @ www.microchips-tuning.com

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      06-03-2004 09:00 AM #2
      Blackie, dear, that is just fantastic!
      Excellent writeup!
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

Vehicles
      2009 BMW 335i xDrive
      06-03-2004 10:19 AM #3
      Nice job, awesome pics too.
      How do you like the 270 cam?

4. 06-03-2004 10:32 AM #4
      if anyone would like to send me a new cam i would love to try this! just kidding, but actually this is a great instruction guide, well done and thanks for taking the time out to show everyone.

Vehicles
      06-03-2004 10:40 AM #5
      Quote, originally posted by vwgtipowr »
      Nice job, awesome pics too.
      How do you like the 270 cam?

Well, I always wanted to know how to do it, and I am sure many will benefit from this writeup. And since my garage's quote was arround 150 euros for just the camshaft I figured, now its a good time to learn!!!!
      So far the car pulls like a train! But I need to setup the camgear on a rolling road. I have been experimenting with +-2 degrees and I found that 2 degrees can make a huge difference in the engine's power band.

Vehicles
      06-07-2004 06:34 PM #6
      Shall I add this to the faq post or you think its too pic intensive?

Vehicles
      Things with wheels, sometimes upside down
      06-07-2004 07:20 PM #7
      Excellent write up man! This makes me want to get a cam in the G60!!!!!!!!
      FJ and Benz project pics on Instagram: G60CAB

82 500 SEC......Roadhouse
      07 FJ...............3" lift, 305/70/17s, lots of skid plates, lots of Dynamat
      99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

Vehicles
      06-07-2004 07:28 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by redvdubvert »
      Excellent write up man! This makes me want to get a cam in the G60!!!!!!!!

How's the cab handling the extra power of the mighty motor?

9. 06-17-2004 08:09 PM #9
      this needs to go under faq plz

Vehicles
      06-17-2004 09:23 PM #10
      OK, now we need a guide on how to replace lifters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      06-18-2004 11:56 AM #11
      Quote, originally posted by redvdubvert »
      OK, now we need a guide on how to replace lifters!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its very easy I don't think we need to create one. Just pull them out with a magnet and install the new ones.....
      Btw, it is under the faq post....

Vehicles
      06-18-2004 12:52 PM #12
      Well damn if its that easy......

Vehicles
      06-18-2004 12:54 PM #13
      it is....
      Only problem, you have to be in this part in order to remove them.....

Vehicles
      99 Ford Ranger XLT
      06-18-2004 12:56 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by bunnytrigger81 »
      this needs to go under faq plz

Yes please repost this in the FAQ!
      very nice job on the install!.
      so now that you got it back together...how does she run??

noticable difference??
      LUNAR LOUNGE
      MID CENTURY FURNISHINGS AND DESIGN
      www.lunarloungedesign.com

Vehicles
      06-18-2004 01:00 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by jonny_breakz »
      Yes please repost this in the FAQ!
      very nice job on the install!.
      so now that you got it back together...how does she run??

noticable difference??

It is already in the faq.
      The engine revs easier all the way to the rev limiter. But since I had the same cam in my old digifant motor with a supersprint manifold, I know its restricted A LOT from the toilet bowl manifold. I got an increase of 7hp when I removed it from the old engine.
      Mid torque is a little bit better, low is excactly the same. But I can shift the power band up and down according to my driving style. Thats the job of the adjustable cam gear.
      Haven't been to the rollers yet..... I will post when I do.

Vehicles
      BMW M5
      03-11-2005 01:43 PM #16
      any #'s yet?

03-12-2005 02:19 PM #17
      hey..george...it is george right?...chris here...well!!...another fantastic tutorial..it seems like it is easy to replace that cam...i have the techtonics catalog and they recommende a 268 degree cam..but i am still stock as of now so maybe i should go with that cam untill i do more extensive mods yeah?

03-12-2005 02:20 PM #18
      i'm sorry, after i drop in a k&n filter and change the exhaust

19. 03-12-2005 04:12 PM #19
      how about...right..?..you.........post your question...in.. ..your.. ..own.. ..thread...?...instead of jacking this one... .. .

seriously, i suggest you go to the search and find all the info you can on cams. that way you can understand the pros and cons of each lift and duration. for now, a 268* might be fine, but it all depends on what mods are coming and when. after all, it's probably better do this just once.
      fyi: 268* 8v cams come up in the golf2 and golf3 classifieds all the time for $35, and yes they are directly compatible with your 8v.

Vehicles
      00 TDI golf
      03-12-2005 05:19 PM #20
      i just put a new head in my cabby with a 276 cam. i have a tear in my intake so i dont know the full potential of the new cam yet because of the tear. but it sounds nice, and is pretty smooth for a big cam.

03-14-2005 09:18 PM #21
      sorry vertigo..just thought i'd put in my 2 cents worth...

22. 03-14-2005 10:02 PM #22
      i was just pulling your leg, mate. you might want to think about starting a new post though. if you can decide on what you want to car to be and how much power you're looking for, it's easy to make some suggestions.

03-15-2005 03:27 PM #23
      just a filter,camshaft,exhaust, and maybe a neuspeed manifold for starters as these are all bolt-on without modifying a lot under the hood.

24. 10-26-2005 02:16 PM #24
      Am I the only one that can't see the photos on this thread? Love to be able to use the install guide. Thanks.

Vehicles
      03 NB TurboS, 87 & 88 16V Scirocco-TWINS, 89 Cabriolet, 71 Ghia, 04 FJR 1300
      10-26-2005 02:24 PM #25
      I cant tell which pics are active and which ones are not....did you check to see if the photos are active in the FAQ? If not, perhaps George can still find them.... if we ask weally weally nice he just may....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast