Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: dahlbach car makes 528 whp at ubergolf?!

1. 06-09-2004 08:03 PM #101
      Quote, originally posted by 1.BillyT »
      They were at 800 feet. Besides, dynojet corrects for al that stuff.
      Still cool that they got more torque than hp, almost like the car was on the bottle. They ended up losing that motor on the road course, though.

holy shet... the tjm monster a4 blew!?!?
      damn... after talking with tim, that block was supose to be bullet proof.
      i know that was a dahlback bottom end...

06-10-2004 02:07 AM #102
      Quote, originally posted by theflygtiguy »
      If i were to post my opinion on this i woud say that the car was built for one reason..... publicity
      when building a tuner shop and getting new parts out there for a community, the hardest thing to do is get publicity about your products and parts, i feel that this car, although not proving the numbers and qtr mile times, was built for the fact that they simply COULD build it.
      to me thats the reason that it has as much work in it, and as much tuning as could be seen.... thats the reason it was bought over to the states, and i feel that it will continue to be a publicity stunt for its single purpose of showing the public that there is a vw/audi tuning company that can build almost ANYTHING your willing to pay for.
      true that DAhlback probably wont get work from educated enthusiasts like some of you guys that know his products aren't producing times... but if you get your car publicity from front covers of magazines, stating the kind of statistics that they are... i'm sure it would get the attention of almost any vw driver out there. and if i'm not being completely stupid, they are definitely acheiving their goal.
      it all comes down to business... they are a tuning shop, getting their products publicity... and its working
      Mike.

I think I have to agree with this statement. Moreover, I don't think dahlback is pushing that engine as hard as he can...perhaps just as hard as he feels he can push the drivetrain. I mean, if he only made 587 wheel and we figure 20% drivetrain loss (optimistic) he's making 704hp at the crank. 22-24% would be more realistic loss. But, 700hp @ 9100 rpm? That's a lot of rpm for that kind of power. I'd take a guess and say he's running somewhere around 25-30psi which is a far cry from the rumored 48 psi. However, I could see it making about 1000hp at 48 psi if it spun that kind of rpm.

Vehicles
      '03 SVT Lightning
      06-10-2004 01:04 PM #103

Just found this a little funny.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...97733

4. 06-10-2004 01:43 PM #104
      At least, if nothing else, all of this will make that guy take that car out and show us what it can really do... I'm sure he'll be steaming when he sees that

And for the record, I had absolutely nothing to do with that pic. Not my work, not by a long way.
      I was a man... I was a good man... Selling insurance...

5. Member
      06-10-2004 03:04 PM #106
      Performance and replacement parts, engine building www.qedpower.com

bobqzzi@cox.net

6. 06-12-2004 12:10 PM #107
      Quote, originally posted by Cabby-Blitz »

Just found this a little funny.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer...97733

7. 06-14-2004 12:23 PM #108
      Quote, originally posted by bobqzzi »
      Cool videos. I think they need to fix the suspension and get a new driver.

I just saw this car this weekend at Dubwars... the thing was ****in quick... no doubt about that, he was in the expert racing class and littlerally put a 1/4 track on everything out there in the first lap. He was only running 2 Bar of boost instead of his standard 4 BAR, and the turbo wasn't spooling it 7500 RPM. That car is ****in cool. But there was a lot wrong with it too. It could only run about 3 laps in the heat, before he overheated, and it broke a couple of times (once doing doughnuts). That thing was a beast I don't care what anyone says... untill you see it in person... You don't know what you're talking about

8. Member
      06-14-2004 07:47 PM #109
      Quote, originally posted by BubonicCorrado »
      I just saw this car this weekend at Dubwars... the thing was ****in quick... no doubt about that, he was in the expert racing class and littlerally put a 1/4 track on everything out there in the first lap. He was only running 2 Bar of boost instead of his standard 4 BAR, and the turbo wasn't spooling it 7500 RPM. That car is ****in cool. But there was a lot wrong with it too. It could only run about 3 laps in the heat, before he overheated, and it broke a couple of times (once doing doughnuts). That thing was a beast I don't care what anyone says... untill you see it in person... You don't know what you're talking about

Be that as it may, if you look at the videos it is obvious the suspension is not very well sorted- it has more roll than an Improved Touring car, and the driver is not only quite rough with the car, but is frequently off-line. Sure the car is a beast..but so far it has failed to impress in this country- slow 1/4 mile (14.4!), disappointing hp (578 whp- nothing to sneeze at, but a far cry from 900hp).
      Now you say it could only run 3 laps before stopping. So despite the fact that it put 1/4 lap on the next car, my Dad's mini-van could beat it in a race. It's been one long litany of excuses..broke the dyno, no traction, broke the transmission, didn't want to break the tranny so took it easy, only running 2 bar boost...etc..., etc...
      It is a very cool project car, but it doesn't speak well for Dahlback that they can't actually make it run reliably. I also have absolutely no clue how they could make that thing weigh 3000lbs.
      And what is up with the donuts? That is lame in the extreme.

bobqzzi@cox.net

06-14-2004 08:07 PM #110
      Bottom line is that Jason from ND was speaking for Dahlback and said that at dubwars they were going to go all out on the drag strip because the car was being shipped back anyways. and guess what? They didnt even run, go figure.

10. 06-14-2004 10:37 PM #111
      Be that as it may, if you look at the videos it is obvious the suspension is not very well sorted- it has more roll than an Improved Touring car, and the driver is not only quite rough with the car, but is frequently off-line.

Dahlback is a car builder\enthusiast, not a race car driver... he has fun in his car... bottom line, I met the guy and talked to him for a good amount of time.
      Sure the car is a beast..but so far it has failed to impress in this country- slow 1/4 mile (14.4!), disappointing hp (578 whp- nothing to sneeze at, but a far cry from 900hp).

Yeah a 14.4 @ 119
      That's a mid to low 11 second trap speed... And he didn't even launch the thing... 1/4 mile times are all about traction, the trap speed shows power
      Now you say it could only run 3 laps before stopping.

There were very few cars there that were highly modified that could run more than 3 laps without stoping, including my own ( I didn't run this year but last year within 3 laps, or 7 miles of running WOT my oil temps hit 310F)
      Engines run a little hot when it's 105+
      So despite the fact that it put 1/4 lap on the next car, my Dad's mini-van could beat it in a race. It's been one long litany of excuses..broke the dyno, no traction, broke the transmission, didn't want to break the tranny so took it easy, only running 2 bar boost...etc..., etc...

There is video of him breaking the dyno, he was only running 2 BAR of boost, they did break the tranny, rear end, and clutch.
      It is a very cool project car, but it doesn't speak well for Dahlback that they can't actually make it run reliably. I also have absolutely no clue how they could make that thing weigh 3000lbs.

There is a lot of drive train in the thing, a lot of custom mounts for the engine\drive train\radiators\intercoolers\everything.
      As for not running reliably... you have never been around cars with A LOT of horsepower have you?
      High horsepower cars are not by any means reliable... Especially tottaly custom one off things... they like to break
      And what is up with the donuts? That is lame in the extreme.

EIP had their Turbo R32 doing doughnuts, HPA had their R32 doing doughnuts, hell I may even have seen a eurovan doing some doughnuts, pretty much everyone was having a lot of fun

11. Member
      06-14-2004 10:42 PM #112
      EIP had their Turbo R32 doing doughnuts, HPA had their R32 doing doughnuts, hell I may even have seen a eurovan doing some doughnuts, pretty much everyone was having a lot of fun

ya but only one of em got hungry and ate a curb
      No one is arguing the car isn't impressive but $500,000 impressive?? Far from it.

12. 06-14-2004 11:09 PM #113
      Quote, originally posted by BIOHAZRD35 »
      No one is arguing the car isn't impressive but $500,000 impressive?? Far from it.

Not how I would spend 500,000 by any means... but when you're building a car like that, sure there is 500,000 dollars in stuff in it, doesn't mean he spent that kind of money... I would be willing to bet that a lot of the stuff was "sponsored" to say the least... And considering the fact that the body kit alone cost 11,000... it adds up quick

13. 06-14-2004 11:11 PM #114
      Quote, originally posted by BIOHAZRD35 »

yeah... that was funny... still not as funny as seeing the EIP car on the side of the road with a CHP car behind it, I was expecting them to pop the hood, and take it away!...lol

14. Member
      06-14-2004 11:18 PM #115
      I honestly doubt any of that was sponsored by anyone other than his own shop. I've never seen mention of any but dahlback and his products in any write ups on the car. And ya money does add up quick but c'mon 500g's??!! Thats getting closer to range of f1 cars. And that kind of budget to perform like that car does?? meh. I bet you he'd struggle with the likes of the noble m12's, elise, tvr's etc.... All cars that can be had for around 50g's. Sure its all talk but hey, thats what dahlback seems to be good at

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado
      06-15-2004 01:58 AM #116

500HP 1990 Cowrado
      Have a great Orwellian Day
      https://www.youtube.com/user/RepomanPro

16. Member
      06-15-2004 06:44 AM #117
      [QUOTE=BubonicCorrado]
      Dahlback is a car builder\enthusiast, not a race car driver... he has fun in his car... bottom line, I met the guy and talked to him for a good amount of time.
      Quote »
      okay, he can't drive, fair enough. Why does his mega-buck car have a poorly sorted suspension?
      Yeah a 14.4 @ 119
      That's a mid to low 11 second trap speed... And he didn't even launch the thing... 1/4 mile times are all about traction, the trap speed shows power[quote]
      look, that is just a stupid excuse-he has 4wd and 12 inch wide tires-explain to me why he has no traction? Plenty of fwd cars with 600whp manage to get in the 10s
      [quote]
      There were very few cars there that were highly modified that could run more than 3 laps without stoping, including my own ( I didn't run this year but last year within 3 laps, or 7 miles of running WOT my oil temps hit 310F)
      Engines run a little hot when it's 105+
      [quote]
      doesn't speak too well of the builders, does it. Again, maybe I should show up with my Dad's mini-van and suck your lights out. Seriously-it is ridiculous that a "race" car can't actually race.
      [quote]
      There is video of him breaking the dyno, he was only running 2 BAR of boost, they did break the tranny, rear end, and clutch.
      [quote]
      I know they broke the dyno- so there isn't another one? On the one complete dyno run we know about, it made 578 Hp- not the 900-1200 that has been claimed. Seems to me if you kept breaking parts, you may want to redesign the thing so you could actually drive it.
      [quote]

There is a lot of drive train in the thing, a lot of custom mounts for the engine\drive train\radiators\intercoolers\everything.
      As for not running reliably... you have never been around cars with A LOT of horsepower have you?
      High horsepower cars are not by any means reliable... Especially tottaly custom one off things... they like to break
      [quote]
      I don't know, does 20 years of SCCA racing count? High horsepower cars, when properly designed are plenty reliable. The IMSA Audis, which the Dahlback engine comes from, ran reliably enough to win the GTO championship. They only like to break when the builder is insufficiently skilled to build them so they don't. Also, if I recall correctly those Audi's weighed about 2400lbs.
      [quote]

Bottom line- it's really a trailer queen that runs for short bursts

Modified by bobqzzi at 11:46 AM 6-15-2004

bobqzzi@cox.net

17. 06-15-2004 05:06 PM #118
      Bottom line- it's really a trailer queen that runs for short bursts

Modified by bobqzzi at 11:46 AM 6-15-2004

ouch... sad but true.
      If I had 500k to spend... I would have spent more money into having it more reliable. A very well sorted cooling system in the front probably and would have also made it my goal not to have so much horsepower capability... but rather make use of all the power.
      Also I would have spent like alot of money on the suspension... and even more in tuning and track time.
      I mean how are they going to fine tune the car if they cant run on a track for more than a couple of laps.
      Track time with the car and driver togethether makes all the difference.
      You cant learn a car if your never reaching a constant continuous level of performance.
      F1 teams spend hundreds of hours with the same driver, in the same car, trying to tune the car for that track. How is Dahlback's monster golf supposed to be good at a track if theyre constantly changing boost levels, never getting traction, always heating up, and always braking.
      Good idea, wrong execution in my opinion.

Modified by danny_16v at 5:11 PM 6-15-2004
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

18. 06-15-2004 10:51 PM #119

There must exist video clips of these shows!?

19. 06-16-2004 09:52 AM #120
      Quote, originally posted by DanielT »
      There must exist video clips of these shows!?

for real
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

20. 06-16-2004 01:54 PM #121
      Guys im new here-and i do not own a veedub-but if i could have 1-it will be the dahlback.Just for the sound it makes.It can do a 20s quarter but the sound will stay with me forever.Still prefer the anger of the s1 though.Just my pennie's worth

21. 06-16-2004 02:10 PM #122
      Quote, originally posted by LanEvo8 »
      I could think of 100 better things to spend half a million dollars on than 14 second Mk4's . I'll stick to blackjack and hookers.

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3 Prestige
      06-20-2004 01:46 AM #123
      Sorry BubonicCorrado, 119 is not a low 11, 119 is not anything. the 14.4 is a 14.4 and thats that, which sucks. Why are there so many dahlback nutswingers.
      And thanks guys I made that Dahlback picture once again for reference
      Sean Winkler
      Sales & Leasing Consultant | Barrier Audi
      Office: 877-243-2181
      Cell: 425-750-5007

23. 06-20-2004 04:02 PM #124
      Quote, originally posted by nycvr6 »
      How bout, EVEN HARDER, ive driven a 600+ hp FWD car down the track, and my time was 11.4@126 on multiple passes. My turbo is Realllly big too, what was your point with that comment. Of course it's a high RPM car, which is ideal for drag racing. Your points are weak.

11.4@126, huh???
      I do 11.4@124 in my '02 Jetta 1.8t.........yes, 1.8t. I have 377whp at 22psi, Peloquin 80% diff, and use SSR Comp 16x7.5 with 225 45/16 tires.
      No slicks!
      How much did you spend on your VR6 Turbo???
      I spent a total of $5600.

24. 06-20-2004 04:07 PM #125
      Quote, originally posted by nycvr6 »
      How bout, EVEN HARDER, ive driven a 600+ hp FWD car down the track, and my time was 11.4@126 on multiple passes. My turbo is Realllly big too, what was your point with that comment. Of course it's a high RPM car, which is ideal for drag racing. Your points are weak.

11.4@126, huh???
      And how much HP did your VR6 need to get those times???

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast