Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Crack the radio code?

1. 06-22-2004 07:13 PM #1
      Hello; I'm trying to help my neighbor retrieve the 4 digit code for his radio that's currently locked. Previous posts recommended contacting the VW dealer, but I tried 'many' of them and they want him to schedule an appt. to bring the vehicle in ($$). Can anyone help, and/or have access to the VW database.

VIN: WVWMAG3B6WE240826 ('98 VW Passat)

Someone recommended 0000, 1111, and 1234. The first two codes didn't work, so now it has to sit for a hour... Thanks for any help.

Vehicles
      2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T 5sp Manual
      06-22-2004 11:39 PM #2
      This may seem silly at ask this point, but does the owner's manual for either the car or radio have a code card like the newer manuals do?

My radio manual came with a business card sized tear-out inside the front cover with the radio code.

If not, dealers generally don't give out that type of information without proof of ownership to help prevent theft.

Never heard anything about a "master" code.

2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T 5sp Manual 155,000mi
      1991 VW Jetta GL 1.8 5sp Manual 209,000mi (retired)
      1984 VW Rabbit GTI 1.8 5sp Manual 176,000mi (retired)
      1970 Datsun 510 1.6 4sp Manual Mileage Unknown (retired)
      1968 Datsun 510 1.6 4sp Manual Mileage Unknown (retired)

3. 06-23-2004 12:34 AM #3
      Thanks for the advice. I know the security card you're referring to, but there wasn't one there. I'm sure there is a service guy/gal that will hook him up. I'm sure it would be considered a security breech, but it's too bad they didn't allow access to their database on the internet. That would save a lot of hassle...

4. 06-23-2004 10:03 AM #4
      Quote, originally posted by VR6OOOM »
      Thanks for the advice. I know the security card you're referring to, but there wasn't one there. I'm sure there is a service guy/gal that will hook him up. I'm sure it would be considered a security breech, but it's too bad they didn't allow access to their database on the internet. That would save a lot of hassle...

...and would make theft much easier.

5. 06-23-2004 11:21 AM #5
      When I sold my old Jetta, I put the stock radio back in but also did not have the code. I took the car and the radio to the dealership and the parts department was able to get my code for free.

6. 06-23-2004 02:15 PM #6
      Quote, originally posted by backpacker »

...and would make theft much easier.

Slightly off topic but, while I appreciate the thought of making my OEM radio less attractive to thieves, I think this is a little bit of overkill. I mean how many crooks are going after OEM parts? Typically the stuff they steal is going to replace some OEM parts, hence them stealing it.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Passat Variant
      06-25-2004 08:30 PM #7
      If the card is not filled out, look for a small piece of sticker in the trunk next to the spare. That's where the salesman was supposed to get it and put it in your book. If it's gone you need to go to the originating dealer and have them look at the PDI record.

8. 06-28-2004 02:10 PM #8
      You seem to miss the entire point of having radio codes...if they were easy to crack or easy to look up on the internet...they would be worthless in deterring theft.

The fact that you're using language like "crack the radio code" and shying away from a visit to a dealer in favor of calling a bunch of them on the phone (thankfully to no avail) leads me to question the history of your "neighbor's" radio.

I've needed the radio code on a number of occasions both for my VW vehicles and Volvo's (same dealer in my case). Since I have built a solid relationship with them, they have been more than happy to help me out over the phone...so it's not like the dealerships are trying to sqeeze money out of you.

I'd pretty much guarantee that if your pal tooled on into the local VW dealership in his Passat, pulled up to the service dept and explained that while he recently was working on his vehicle with the battery disconnected--his radio reset and he does not have access to the code...that they'd help him out gratis. Now if that VIN # doesn't match his vehicle, you may have some 'splaining to do.

BTW, if it's just too painful to make the dealer trip, perhaps working with someone offshore might be more to your liking: http://www.davidsonelectronics.co.uk/radiolist.htm OR http://www.unimark.freeserve.c...s.htm where you can get your odometer fixed too. If you don't mind yanking the radio to retrieve the serial no. -- this site will hook you up for $48. http://radio-code.com/page3_1.htm Enough seedy links....Good luck.

9. 06-28-2004 03:31 PM #9
      On mine the radio SN was the same as the VIN. It's on the side of the radio, an easy pull out with the dealer tools. Any dealer should be willing to look it up for free if you're on-site and can prove ownership.

Mine took alot of tries and several code configs, all with an hour between each 2 tries. If the code your dealer tries doesn't work, I can dig up my notes, but oner of the LETTERS, a W I think, can change to give completely different codes.

Before these codes, VW radios were a high theft item, taking 20 sec to remove with the tools! Have friends who were subjected to the "five finger discount". Codes are a good thing!

10. 06-28-2004 05:33 PM #10
      in my 2004 wagon, there is a tearout card in the manual, but the dealership forgot to fill it out when i took delivery of the car. i called them on the phone to get the code and they told me it was on a sticker in the in the spare tire wheelwell. true enough, the code was taped to the wall of the tire well. i'm not sure, but i think the dealer stuck it there, not the factory.

11. 06-28-2004 09:45 PM #11
      If you are friends with someone from an indy shop have them call.
      They will give the code up faster than a drunk **** on prom night.

Adam

12. 06-29-2004 07:52 PM #12
      I appreciate what you're saying about theft, but you're missing my entire point. In today's computer age, I'm sure there would be a way for VW to setup an online database that VW customers could access somehow. Heck, you can access your checking account, investments, and pretty much anything else you need these days on the web. Granted there are protection measures in place, such as PIN numbers, identity info., etc. This seems to be a common enough problem where maybe it would save VW and the customer some time if they had something a little more efficient in place. As for my neighbor, you're talking about a senior citizen, 1 owner Passat, so I wouldn't elude to his radio being a theft problem.. As for me, I was checking around for him to see if there were any quick and easy answers or leads. If it requires a trip to the VW dealer, then so be it. Although, the local VW dealer told him they charge a flat rate for this. Hey, I know that sounds crazy but I've seen it myself where they try to nickel and dime you for the simplest, yet darndest things. I don't even care to go there w/the experiences I've had at 'some' (not all) of the dealerships. I usually research and fix it myself, hence the reason why I started this thread... Thanx to the folks who chimed in w/some ideas. I'll have him check in the trunk.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Passat GLX
      07-05-2004 04:22 PM #13
      It just sits for an hour between wrong attempts? On my Jetta I was told that it would have to be returned to the dealer, or was it Germany, if I guessed wrong too many times.

That's good news for me.
      I'm out of the country for a year (http://geocities.com/paylors/chile.html) and the battery has died in the meantime. I will want to listen to some music when I return!

(Also, I have no idea what my radio code is, so I'll take this advice when I get home.)

14. 07-06-2004 08:41 AM #14
      Yeah, you get two tries then an hour of lock up, with the power on the whole time; otherwise, the timer re-starts when power us connected.

After an hour, you get two tries again. Choose wisely, use the force.

15. 07-06-2004 02:10 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by VR6OOOM »
      I appreciate what you're saying about theft, but you're missing my entire point. In today's computer age, I'm sure there would be a way for VW to setup an online database that VW customers could access somehow.

This would be great but it seems like too much trouble for VW to go through. I mean they could easily include a very high-tech anti-theft system, or GPS trackers, etc. but that would all cost money for them and then the consumer. And if the dealers can't even keep track of the last time I got an oil change and/or what kind of engine I have (it happens) then I don't know that VW right now could be depended on for any sort of "advanced" database.

Personally I think these measures are sort of a public relations/marketing measure so you can't use the lack of a car alarm, or in this case radio code as a reason to get a Honda Civic or something. It's not perfect but it's there.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2010 VW Jetta TDI
      07-06-2004 04:03 PM #16
      The analogy of a bank and VW is not good. A bank will save money by having you stay out of the branch. VW (or its dealers) will loose money if you stay out of the dealership.

Vehicles
      '92 Passat G60 Syncro, '00 Suburban, '08 Nissan Maxima
      07-06-2004 08:07 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by pawn707 »
      ... I think this is a little bit of overkill. I mean how many crooks are going after OEM parts? ...

I think you would be surprised. A coworker of mine had her OEM radio (I don't even think it had a cassette player in it) stolen from her 1989 Mazda MPV.
      Eschew obfuscation!

Isaiah 26:4
      Ephesians 2:8-10
      Hebrews 3:12-14

18. 07-07-2004 10:40 AM #18
      I never knew that number was in the trunk. that would've helped when i needed it a couple years ago. Personally, i think it's a pain in the ass that require use this code, stamp it in the car, and then never tell you it's there. the dealership could've just as easily informed me of its location. Instead, they charged me $40 for the privelage of making my radio work again. All this because I had to change the dead battery in the car. It just goes to show you that the dealerships are a bunch of crooks.

Some kid who steals a stereo isn't going to go back to the same car to dig through the trunk, remove the spare tire, and memorize the code. Well, let's say that it's unlikely at best.

Eric

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Passat GLX
      07-07-2004 10:54 AM #19
      Especially with these lazy kids today