Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is up with the stupid tint laws in NJ? Do you get harrassed for urs?

1. Banned
      07-03-2004 11:35 AM #1
      I want to get tint-all around-but I know that the law in NJ is no tint in the front of the car. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. I am going to write a letter to my senators and state legislature asking if they are going to pay to have my Recaros recovered when the sun ruins them. Who hear has tint on their entire car, and do you get harrassed because of it? Thanks.

2. 07-03-2004 12:00 PM #2
      i have tints all around, i usually dont get bothered. If the cop is looking for someing to break your balls for though, he will defenitely not hesitate to slap you with a ticket for your tint.

3. 07-03-2004 12:25 PM #3
      I never got pulled over for having tint on my old car (30% all around)...It could either lead to ball busting, or say youre borderline on a speeding ticket, if the cop is in a good mood maybe he'll just write you a ticket for the tint. Id rather get a ticket for tint than a speeding ticket anyday

4. Banned
      07-03-2004 12:58 PM #4
      Quote, originally posted by Sully_VR »
      I never got pulled over for having tint on my old car (30% all around)...It could either lead to ball busting, or say youre borderline on a speeding ticket, if the cop is in a good mood maybe he'll just write you a ticket for the tint. Id rather get a ticket for tint than a speeding ticket anyday

I think the time has come Sully.

07-04-2004 08:21 AM #5
      When I lived in Jersey I would knock the 2 front windows down if I was about to be pulled over, just in case. I do remember failing inspection with the fronts tinted, but I know the inspection process has changed since I moved out of Jersey, so I don't know how it stands as far as that.

Besides inspection, I never had a problem.

6. Banned
      07-04-2004 12:07 PM #6
      Thanks for the input.

7. 07-04-2004 12:19 PM #7
      Same laws in NY. I only got a ticket once for my tint in the 4 years of driving a car with tints (mine are dark too, 20%). It was at a check point on DPA (local cruising strip). They setup a check point to bust everyones balls, and they nailed me for my tint. Whatever, 75$... I piss 75$.

8. 07-04-2004 01:06 PM #8
      Not just to you, but to everyone else, whining about tint laws in threads is as old as the Vortex, and I know it will keep continuing forever. However, imo there really is no point. Obviously there is the law for some kind of reason. For example, say you were a law enforcement officer pulling over a suspicious vehicle, and that vehicle had front window tint. The officer might not be able to see the driver, or anyone else in the car for that matter, until the window is rolled down, so how would he know if he's safe or if the driver is aiming a gun at him? If you were a cop, would you want to take that risk?
      So, write a letter to your state government if you choose, but it's not going to make much of a difference. The laws are in effect to protect the masses, not just the small percentage who "need" to have window tint. Threatening the state gov't to pay for your seats because of sun damage is the most rediculous thing I've heard of in a while. Your seats are meant to get wear and tear; hell, they wear everytime you sit down in it. So the only way you're going to protect them in your mentality is to garage your car and never drive it. There are more ways than window tint to protect your interior from the sun. With that in mind, why aren't you complaining about tint on the front windshield as well? That can let in significantly more light than one front window, yet no one ever mentions that. Why? Because it's dangerous, just as it is on the front windows.
      Now, I'm not saying no one get tint, but it is a fact that the front windows are against the law. I have my front windows tinted 35%, and yes I've gotten a ticket for it before, but I'm mature enough to accept my responsibilities and the consequences of my actions. Do I wish there was no law? Absolutely, but I understand that it's there for the safety of everyone and I have to pay to play. Is it so hard for everyone else to see?

Vehicles
      mk3..mk4
      07-04-2004 02:29 PM #9
      that's what happened...a cop was shot on the TP...car had tint....now no tint in jersey
      COOLWATER

10. 07-04-2004 03:02 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by FrankiEBoneZ »
      Same laws in NY. I only got a ticket once for my tint in the 4 years of driving a car with tints (mine are dark too, 20%). It was at a check point on DPA (local cruising strip). They setup a check point to bust everyones balls, and they nailed me for my tint. Whatever, 75$... I piss 75$.

of all my years driving on DPA I've never seen a checkpoint, I think you got shafted by the man Frankie

11. 07-04-2004 03:10 PM #11
      i have 20% on the sides and 5% in the rear... i got pulled over once in the middle of the night in mahwah, nj for them.. the cop really cant pull you over for JUST your tints.. they look for something else... i've had em for over a year with only 1 stop (knock on wood)

12. 07-04-2004 03:15 PM #12
      Quote, originally posted by MoochsMalibu »

of all my years driving on DPA I've never seen a checkpoint, I think you got shafted by the man Frankie

In my years of driving on DPA, I've seen checkpoints about 10 times. They doit more often than you think.

13. 07-04-2004 04:18 PM #13
      Quote, originally posted by Fallacy »
      the cop really cant pull you over for JUST your tints.. they look for something else...

Are you 100% positive on that? Maybe it's different down by me, but they can pull you over for just tints around here. No Secondary Offense type of thing.

07-05-2004 06:53 PM #14
      i just roll my windows down..

15. Member
      Vehicles
      01Golf GLS 1.8T
      07-06-2004 03:31 PM #15

Most cops tend to look for a non moveing violation if there in a good mood... I have goten a number of seat belt tickets, but I always strap myself in.. Also I don't put those stupid stickers on my licence plates.. I have gotten a few tickets for that it is usually about ½ the cost of a seat belt ticket.. I say tint em.. but you may get pulled over a bit more.

16. 07-06-2004 03:52 PM #16
      Quote, originally posted by Der Kommissar »
      I want to get tint-all around-but I know that the law in NJ is no tint in the front of the car. This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. I am going to write a letter to my senators and state legislature asking if they are going to pay to have my Recaros recovered when the sun ruins them. Who hear has tint on their entire car, and do you get harrassed because of it? Thanks.

Maybe you should ask to get your windsheild tinted also, in order to protect your recaros

17. 07-06-2004 03:53 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by GT17V »

Maybe you should ask to get your windsheild tinted also, in order to protect your recaros

maybe if you had the seats he has, youd want to protect them as much as possible too

18. Banned
      07-06-2004 06:21 PM #18

maybe if you had the seats he has, youd want to protect them as much as possible too

Thanks Brian.

People spend a pittance of $1,000.00 for OEM HIDs and go crazy with Lexan covers and 3M covers. People put clear bras on front ends that haven't even been modified. So now explain to me what reason you have to make such a d!ck comment about me wanting to protect my $2000.00+ investment?

19. 07-06-2004 10:11 PM #19
      Yes but those things do not have any possible effects regarding the safety of yourself and others, while window tint does. CLEAR bra, CLEAR headlight stone guards, nothing concealing about them. You could just as easily put on seat covers to protect your "$2000.00+" seats and be 100% legal. So do please indeed consider all of your options and take into account the safety of others before judging laws protecting the lives of everyone simply because they don't satisfy your wants.

20. 07-06-2004 10:14 PM #20
      Every vechile I have owned I tinted (dark). Maybe its me but I see perfectly fine out of them.

21. 07-06-2004 10:29 PM #21
      Yes, it's a dick comment. You can have all the side windows tinted...but you still get UV exposure to the seats from the windsheild. Why not go one step further, to cover all bases?

If you want to protect your $2000 Recaros....don't use them. By sitting on them you will get wear and tear on the recaros, diminishing their value

There are far more important things worth protecting than a set of $2000 recaros, as Jerass said...cops lives are worth protecting, whether they are pigs or not.

Flame me all you want....since I don't value a set of Recaros like you do.

Modified by GT17V at 11:32 PM 7-6-2004

22. Banned
      07-07-2004 12:30 AM #22
      Quote, originally posted by GT17V »
      Yes, it's a dick comment. You can have all the side windows tinted...but you still get UV exposure to the seats from the windsheild. Why not go one step further, to cover all bases?

If you want to protect your $2000 Recaros....don't use them. By sitting on them you will get wear and tear on the recaros, diminishing their value

There are far more important things worth protecting than a set of $2000 recaros, as Jerass said...cops lives are worth protecting, whether they are pigs or not.

Flame me all you want....since I don't value a set of Recaros like you do.

Modified by GT17V at 11:32 PM 7-6-2004

Cops lives huh?

First of all:

There are specific types of tint (while not cheap) that are guaranteed to sheild your car from UVA and UVB rays. Tint also keeps the interior ambient temperature cooler than it would be without tint. So, you're wrong.

Second of all:

How is my putting tint on front windows endangering a cops life? Explain this to me, and don't say "duhhh because the cop can't seen in and the person he/she pulled over may have a weapon"-because that is BS. You are supposed to roll down your window when a cop pulls you over, and if a cop is stupid enough to sit there and pursue (i.e.-approach for license and registration) a car with tinted windows without calling for backup of some sort, well then maybe that person should consider a career move. Also-what about all the homes that the police have to enter? Are they making see-through front doors now?

If tint on the front of cars is such a huge issue, and so many cops are getting hurt, then why is this not a national traffic law, and one that is purely mandated by the states. Can you back up this statement that front tint is dangerous for cops with some cold, hard statistics? What is the proportional ratio of police fatalities due to armed motorists between a state with strict tint laws and a state with more relaxed tint laws?

Your comment about not using my Recaros was by far one of the stupidest things I think that I have ever read on the Vortex. Nothing you have said is logical or holds any water. It sounds like you just need to chill out, and get off your high horse.

Modified by Der Kommissar at 12:32 AM 7-7-2004

Vehicles
      2014 CW GTI
      07-07-2004 01:08 AM #23
      Der Kommissar I totally agree with you. The NJ tint laws are ridiculous and serve no purpose. Everyone using the saftey of cops as a good reason to not tint you car are only saying that becuase more then likely its what the cops told them when they got pulled over for havin' tinted windows. I know thats what the cops told me when I was pulled over a long time ago. The only windows your not suppose to tint are the front ones from what I was told. If you think about it it makes no sense. Last time I checked the cops pulled up behind you to pull you over so they can't see in the damn side windows anyway! Plus we all know when they put that spotlight on your car at nite they can easily see right into your car cuz tint or not that light is blinding. If tint was such a bad thing the laws wouldn't differ from state to state. I lived out in oklahoma for a year and there were people driving around with their whole windshield tinted.. so I guess that means NJ cops are more important then cops in other states??? Its all a bunch of bs. I think you should tint your windows and protect those seats cuz I know if I had 2k seats I wouldn't be worried about a piddily tint ticket. Most cops won't bother you anyway unless their really bored so go for it

oh and whom ever said they can't pull you over for just your tint I hate to break it to you but they sure can, most of em just don't

24. 07-07-2004 03:30 AM #24
      Alright, this thread needs to be locked now because it's simply not getting anywhere, so mods, do your thing.

Der Kommissar, you're just too close minded about this topic to accept the facts, the issues bigger than your own, and the opinions of others. You aren't hearing what you want to hear, so you're accusing everyone of being wrong. It's not just you though, those of us who are trying to explain it to you and break it down are also stubborn, but it's justifiable that we don't all feel the same as you. If you wish to pursue this, then by all means contact your government representatives, because arguing with people who aren't saying what you want to hear here isn't going to get you anywhere.

To address your previous post, yes people are supposed to roll down the window when pulled over, but not everyone does 100%, and cops cannot guarantee that the windows will be rolled down every single time they pull over a car. Furthermore, all cops don't pull behind the vehicle all the time. They can pull up in front, behind, to the side. So who are you to judge someone's career choice simply for doing his job?... You asked for statistics, but can you give any of your own? And I'm not talking about companies producing tint, but how about for YOUR OWN CAR. That's as hard to answer as what you're asking. Exactly how much ultraviolet sunlight passes through YOUR windows, and exactly how much does it affect YOUR seats? How the heck can you accuse someone of being on a high horse when you're the one not willing to accept any answers to a question YOU asked? If you think me and GT17V suggesting not using your seats rediculous, you're entitiled to your opinion, yet so are we. How about my suggestion for seat covers? Why do you "NEED" to have tint rather than seat covers? They will protect just as well if not better, and not only from UV light but also dirt, abrasion, and wear and tear from constant moving.

Please do be a little more open-minded when asking questions. Simply because the answers are not what you want to hear does not mean they are not valid. I can see where you are coming from, I myself having front window tint, so I'm not saying this to fight you, but you're always going to find people who agree and disagree with you. If you're set and have made your mind on this one, then let it go, this thread is done.

Vehicles
      2007 VW GTI
      07-07-2004 05:30 AM #25
      Quote, originally posted by Jeraass »
      Not just to you, but to everyone else, whining about tint laws in threads is as old as the Vortex, and I know it will keep continuing forever. However, imo there really is no point. Obviously there is the law for some kind of reason. For example, say you were a law enforcement officer pulling over a suspicious vehicle, and that vehicle had front window tint. The officer might not be able to see the driver, or anyone else in the car for that matter, until the window is rolled down, so how would he know if he's safe or if the driver is aiming a gun at him? If you were a cop, would you want to take that risk?
      So, write a letter to your state government if you choose, but it's not going to make much of a difference. The laws are in effect to protect the masses, not just the small percentage who "need" to have window tint. Threatening the state gov't to pay for your seats because of sun damage is the most rediculous thing I've heard of in a while. Your seats are meant to get wear and tear; hell, they wear everytime you sit down in it. So the only way you're going to protect them in your mentality is to garage your car and never drive it. There are more ways than window tint to protect your interior from the sun. With that in mind, why aren't you complaining about tint on the front windshield as well? That can let in significantly more light than one front window, yet no one ever mentions that. Why? Because it's dangerous, just as it is on the front windows.
      Now, I'm not saying no one get tint, but it is a fact that the front windows are against the law. I have my front windows tinted 35%, and yes I've gotten a ticket for it before, but I'm mature enough to accept my responsibilities and the consequences of my actions. Do I wish there was no law? Absolutely, but I understand that it's there for the safety of everyone and I have to pay to play. Is it so hard for everyone else to see?

damn right

26. 07-07-2004 09:35 AM #26
      Yes but those things do not have any possible effects regarding the safety of yourself and others, while window tint does.

How does not having window tint protect the lives of yourself and others? That just doesnt make sense. If youre saying it protects a cops life, then like it's been said before, maybe the idiot cop should take the proper precautions and call for backup when he pulls over a car with tinted windows because; "the car is going to be dangerous since it has tinted windows right?"

I see what youre saying, but I think youre going about proving your point in the wrong way.

And yes, a Cop who gets hurt by pulling over a car with tinted windows should consider a career change. If he is so worried about it (tint) he would immediately call for backup, or use the loudspeaker to instruct the driver to roll the window down. He doesnt have to go marching up to the car like some ****in goof (like most cops i see). pigs are supposed to be in control of the situation, and they have more than enough means to do exactly that. If theyre afraid of window tint, what are they going to outlaw next? Blinding HIDs on BMWs and Audis? Minivans (please God ) , seriously tho, **** the cops.

one more thing

Quote, originally posted by jeraass »
      Protect the masses

How does not having window tint protect the masses, can you elaborate please?

Modified by Sully_VR at 9:37 AM 7-7-2004

27. Banned
      07-07-2004 09:36 AM #27

To address your previous post, yes people are supposed to roll down the window when pulled over, but not everyone does 100%, and cops cannot guarantee that the windows will be rolled down every single time they pull over a car. Furthermore, all cops don't pull behind the vehicle all the time. They can pull up in front, behind, to the side. So who are you to judge someone's career choice simply for doing his job?... You asked for statistics, but can you give any of your own? And I'm not talking about companies producing tint, but how about for YOUR OWN CAR. That's as hard to answer as what you're asking. Exactly how much ultraviolet sunlight passes through YOUR windows, and exactly how much does it affect YOUR seats? How the heck can you accuse someone of being on a high horse when you're the one not willing to accept any answers to a question YOU asked? If you think me and GT17V suggesting not using your seats rediculous, you're entitiled to your opinion, yet so are we. How about my suggestion for seat covers? Why do you "NEED" to have tint rather than seat covers? They will protect just as well if not better, and not only from UV light but also dirt, abrasion, and wear and tear from constant moving.

Please do be a little more open-minded when asking questions. Simply because the answers are not what you want to hear does not mean they are not valid. I can see where you are coming from, I myself having front window tint, so I'm not saying this to fight you, but you're always going to find people who agree and disagree with you. If you're set and have made your mind on this one, then let it go, this thread is done.

You still haven't responded to what I said. Why would a cop pursue a motorist who didn't roll his window down and had tint? That is down right stupid. Also-what about when police have domestic disturbance calls? You certainly can't see through front doors, and there are about 1001 more places to hide weapons in a home, so should we make a law saying all front doors should be see through? Your arguement doesn't hold water....

I do have plenty of facts to back up my claim about my seats. Since it has been summer, they have been in need of more conditioning, because the sun has been zapping moisture out of them.

Tint laws in NJ make no sense, and are illogical. Say all you want, but it's the truth. Respond to what I said in the paragraph above, with a LOGICAL rebuttle that addresses what I said, and then we'll talk.

28. 07-07-2004 10:20 AM #28
      I have tints and everytime i get pulled over the first thing that i do is roll down the front windows and turn on the interior lights if its at night, i know its not completely necessary but it makes the cop feel alittle more comfortable

But i think the point/question that sully and kommissar are trying to make/ask is: why is NJ's law's different from the rest of the country? here in CT we are allowed to have 35% on our front windows which is pretty transparent...what makes 35% legal in ct and having any sort of tint on the front windows illegal in jersey? and if having window tint is so dangerous then why does the majority of the country have laws regarding tint that contradict the tint laws in jersey??

29. 07-07-2004 11:08 AM #29
      I don't understand why people think just because the officer calls for backup doesn't mean the person behind the wheel will "behave." Thats like saying my 5 year old cousin will behave because there's more than one adult in the room... its just ignorant. If you want to break the law in Nj go ahead, stop complaing and take your ticket, just don't say its a stupid law when another officer gets shot because some guy didn't want his ticket for doing 45 in a 35.

30. Banned
      07-07-2004 12:00 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by BB23 »
      I don't understand why people think just because the officer calls for backup doesn't mean the person behind the wheel will "behave." Thats like saying my 5 year old cousin will behave because there's more than one adult in the room... its just ignorant. If you want to break the law in Nj go ahead, stop complaing and take your ticket, just don't say its a stupid law when another officer gets shot because some guy didn't want his ticket for doing 45 in a 35.

You call for back up, you get on the loud speaker, and you instruct the driver to get out of his/her vehicle, and if another cop is there, it helps the odds. I'm so sick of this bs. When people become cops, they know that their job will be dangerous at times, and I hardly think that front tint is going to increase the danger enough to outlaw it. Like I said-what about domestic disturbances, should we make plexiglass front doors now? There is no logical reason anyone can sight to outlaw tint-show me some facts, show me some statistics-all anyone on this thread is showing me is their love for cops, and hey that's fine , but that's not what I asked for. Stop being passionate, and start being logical.

31. Banned
      07-07-2004 12:01 PM #31
      Quote, originally posted by Sealab2k21 »
      I have tints and everytime i get pulled over the first thing that i do is roll down the front windows and turn on the interior lights if its at night, i know its not completely necessary but it makes the cop feel alittle more comfortable

But i think the point/question that sully and kommissar are trying to make/ask is: why is NJ's law's different from the rest of the country? here in CT we are allowed to have 35% on our front windows which is pretty transparent...what makes 35% legal in ct and having any sort of tint on the front windows illegal in jersey? and if having window tint is so dangerous then why does the majority of the country have laws regarding tint that contradict the tint laws in jersey??

Ding ding ding, we have a person here with a brain!

32. 07-07-2004 12:12 PM #32
      i am being logical, i think that the law itself is a great law that other states should follow. And to boot its only a fine, not like they impound your car cause you have tints on it. so get your tints, pay your fine, and roll your windows down .. oh and about your domestic disturbance argument, depending on the initial call/report the cops will come in force with weapons drawn .. not to often you see a cop carry a pistol up to a car with a burnt out brake light.

33. 07-07-2004 01:36 PM #33
      Dont waste your time writing. The tint law is the way it is because of crime in NJ. Officers need to see whats going on in the car. This will never be changed as long as NJ has sucha high crime rate.

I have 20% tint all around, I have never OFFICIALLY been pulled over for it. Though I have been yanked for other violations and recieved a tinted window ticket instead. Which In my book I will take all day long vs points.

Vehicles
      2006, Audi A4 2.oTQ
      07-07-2004 02:03 PM #34
      Damn, took me half hour to read this post!

I'd like to welcome you to the Republic of NJ, where you only need to follow one simple rule: Get away with as much as possible without getting caught..

Or just follow the Golden Rules unless you can own all the Gold and make your own rules!

Oh and back to the topic, get the tint and pay the fines (don't forget inspection fees), no one said Pimpin' was easy!

35. Banned
      07-07-2004 02:43 PM #35
      How much is the fine for tint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast