Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Solenoid Change 09A Tiptronic

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS, reigning high mile champ 371,675k miles and counting
      05-03-2005 09:47 PM #36
      I have a feeling it may be locking and unlocking the TC to regulate your down hill speed, which if I remember correctly is a function of the programming VW has implemented in the TCU. Double check your owners manual in the section that covers the Tiptronic Auto trans, I think that's where I read it. I don't think you have any worries.
      Don

CANCER SUCKS but KAISER SUCKS MORE/But so far I kicked it's ASS

2. 10-03-2005 10:57 AM #37
      Hi i like your post about Solenoid Change but you did not write about your problem, what ware you are expiriancing with your transmision except error codes, example my VW Passat is automaticly changing from gear 5 to gear 4 and wont gearup again until i turnoff and on my car, i'm also having code 01192, please answer to my email doda@sistem-nis.co.yu, thanks, Doda. PS. also can you tell me prices of those solenoids, thanks again.

3. 01-29-2007 05:20 PM #38
      Solenoid Change 09A Tiptronic
      Great article! I have 97 Jetta with "slow to engage Drive". If you let the car warm-up for 5-10 min. it will engage into drive with no problem. No delay problem at all going from P to reverse. Dealer want $1400 to replace the torque converter. Bad torque converter would not enable the car to go into reverse either. Problem is not T-converter. I think it is a stickey solenoid. Based on this thread, is one of the accessable solenoids the cause of the slow to engage? Which solenoid controls initial Drive mode? No tranny fault codes displayed. Fluid level is correct. Tranny shifts just fine once Drive finally drops in..

4. 02-01-2007 05:01 PM #39
      Don,

I've been reading this thread, and I think you will probably be the person that I should talk to; although anyone with info will be a saviour as far as I'm concerned. I have an 02 Passat, with the Tiptronic. As perplexing as this has been for me, I still have no solution in sight.

Symptoms:

Regular automatic mode:

1. As the trans shifts from second to third while putting around, it almost feels as if the trans is shifting into third, and then directly into fourth. I know this is not happening, because I count the gears that follow, and sure enough, there are in fact 2 more after the above scenario.

2. While using the "passing gear" from fourth, say in a traffic situation, the trans shifts from fourth to third, and just about every time it does this while on the gas, it feels as it slips and then catches. All the while, it does feel like it's pulling, but doesn't feel just right. It feels like when I let off the gas, it almost improves the "drive" of the transmission, and makes it easier for the trans to engage in the gear.

(Leads me to believe the clutch packs are slipping)

Tiptronic mode:

1. Drive the car sporty, in tiptronic mode, first to second, when second shifts, it's just like the "automatic mode" scenario, only in second. Feels like the trans shifts, but then shifts into third imediately. We know this isn't the case, because it is in a manual shifting mode. I'm scratching my head. It won't do it in any other gear while in tiptronic mode, and if I downshift while in this mode, all is good.

(Can you understand my dilema?)

Don I would love for you to help me understand this problem before my warranty runs out, and point me in the right direction. For that matter, anyone with some helpfull guidance would be a saint.

5. 02-25-2008 10:37 PM #40
      good stuff.
      '11 Routan SE (black), '99 Jetta GLS VR6 5spd (burgundy)
      FE ///Motorsports VCDS Hex-Can, if you need help.
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/128853.png

6. 03-11-2008 10:50 AM #41

7. 04-01-2008 01:56 PM #43
      In terms of the fluid comparing how many miles was put on the tranny to make it that blackish brown color?

8. 05-18-2008 03:06 PM #44
      I am very much interested in getting a replacement wiring harness for my '02 Jetta TDI (01M trans), if this is indeed my problem. The TCC disables after the car has been driven awhile. It had a an OBD-II P0740 DTC stored (TCC solenoid open circuit). I verified the circuit was open, but was able to regain continuity by moving the pigtail coming out of the trans around a bit. I'm hoping this is the problem, but I'm concerned that the solenoid may be going open when it heats up.

Vehicles
      05-18-2008 03:12 PM #45
      I'm no expert on the 01M, but that being said. I remember ready about the ribbon cable in the 01M failing fairly regularly.
      Don

10. 05-22-2008 09:15 PM #46
      Check this site: http://www.HetzelAuto.com
      Best prices.
      I am getting the shift solenoids from them - 15$ each. They also have the wiring loom (internal harness) for 89$.
      Had some issues with my 01M, slipping in the 4'th, changed the oil, still, removed the valve body, cleaned it, found a clogged shift solenoid, swapped them, problem moved, decided to replace all of them, did not do it yet, because now the tranny performs very well.
      Still waiting to get all the parts.

Modified by Drago's at 6:24 PM 5-22-2008

Modified by Drago's at 6:25 PM 5-22-2008

11. 07-14-2008 07:01 PM #47
      don
      you seem to be the man on vw - i am having a transmisson problem on 2-3-4 shofting - Aamco has it disasembled. 1500 cdn has it disasempbled and put together with new softseals. by reading the stuff on the site i think i nees a new solenoid..... is there a way to test each solenoid???????????? cause they say no . also i believe this all started cause my engine temp sensor needs changing for the second time and maybe my transmission temp sensor...... pricing..from dealer

each solenoid avge= 180 cdn
      all 6 solenoid + valve body = 1671.42

i love the car its moded with body kit and H&R lowered....... what should i change keeping in mine i will use it for 4 more yrs

2002 blu jetta 1.8t 130k
      please help

should i spend it out for future problems or source the exact problem - is it cause i was slack on the engine light and lost the temp sensor........... light was on for misfire 3-4 months......... now says misfire and temp sensor - nothing on transmission error..... adaptation i think is after fix from most peoples responses on this web site............ please help .......... need to know now cause i have 2 days to deside.............

please help don\

12. 07-14-2008 07:14 PM #48
      is there a way to test each solenoid?
      please help

can a valve body break easy or is it usually a solenoid due to heat damage?

13. 07-14-2008 10:10 PM #49
      There is a way to test them. Let me try to find the info.
      You can buy a tranny from a guy I know in Toronto, he has a sec hand VW only business. Today I saw two 1.8T trannies for sale in his shop.

Modified by Drago's at 7:12 PM 7-14-2008

Modified by Drago's at 7:22 PM 7-14-2008

Vehicles
      07-14-2008 10:23 PM #50
      Quote, originally posted by themacman »
      is there a way to test each solenoid?
      please help

can a valve body break easy or is it usually a solenoid due to heat damage?

themacman,
      Yes you change the solenoids individually and test each one individually. I think I paid about $100 each U. S. when I replaced mine. If it were me I would have the tranny fixed. As stated earlier, a good use tranny is a very good option. That is what I have in my car now, been in for 86k miles with no problems and I only paid $1100 U. S. for it. Here is a link for the testing values of the solenoids.http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3469274 I hope this helps you out, sorry I didn't see it until now. Good luck and keep us posted. Oh yeah here is where I got my solenoids. Just call them up and tell them what you are looking for.
      http://www.1stvwparts.com/

Don

15. 07-19-2008 09:33 AM #51
      CoolVDub, Great post and photos, thanks for going to all of the trouble...

Vehicles
      07-19-2008 11:58 AM #52
      No problem
      Don

17. 09-18-2008 09:09 PM #53
      Don,
      I've been reading your thread and also been doing some researching on the forum about problem with my tranny.
      My symptom is usually when engine is cold i.e. tranny is cold too, it will not shift beyond 2nd and will stay there for about 5 minutes until I hear a thump and all is well.
      So my question is, wouldn't it have been easier if you took the tranny off from the car and work on the tranny?
      Seems like you have the knowledge to take the whole car apart.

Vehicles
      09-21-2008 01:47 AM #54
      Quote, originally posted by audi10021075 »
      Don,
      I've been reading your thread and also been doing some researching on the forum about problem with my tranny.
      My symptom is usually when engine is cold i.e. tranny is cold too, it will not shift beyond 2nd and will stay there for about 5 minutes until I hear a thump and all is well.
      So my question is, wouldn't it have been easier if you took the tranny off from the car and work on the tranny?
      Seems like you have the knowledge to take the whole car apart.

Your tranny problem is not one I am familiar with. That being said, if it shifts fine after it's warm you may be low on fluid. Do you have VAG-COM so you can scan for error codes? If not, post up in your regional forum looking for somebody local who does.

As far as removing the tranny, it is an absolute pain in the a$$. So it was easier to work on it in the car,even though it is a tight working area.

Don

19. 09-25-2008 08:04 AM #55
      thanks for the reply.
      What are the symptoms for overfilling the tranny?

20. 09-25-2008 02:31 PM #56
      Don,
      I came across your post in some transmission site, does your car have external filter and additional cooling for your tranny?
      I took your advice and has been doing drain and refill with mercon V, but I don't have external filter nor additional cooling.
      Do you think I should use synthetic because I don't have what you have?

Vehicles
      09-25-2008 08:51 PM #57
      Don,
      I came across your post in some transmission site, does your car have external filter and additional cooling for your tranny?
      I took your advice and has been doing drain and refill with mercon V, but I don't have external filter nor additional cooling.
      Do you think I should use synthetic because I don't have what you have?

Dave,
      The external filter is on my to-do list, but the car doesn't get driven all that much, so it is low on the priority list. I do have an external cooler, I'm sure it helps. I think you will find the semi synthetic Mercon V will be adequate, but if running a full synthetic makes you feel better it sure wouldn't hurt. A full synthetic fluid will handle the heat much better. And I'm a believer in synthetic motor oil. I have run Mobil 1 5W-30 since my first oil change and have over 288k miles on my original engine.

Don

22. 10-15-2008 09:26 PM #58
      Don,
      I am about to change my solenoid like you did and I have some questions.
      Once pan is removed, how difficult or easy was it to remove solenoid?
      From the looks of it, it look like two bolt is holding the solenoid.
      Second question is about axle being tied down to subframe.
      You said dogbone mount has to be removed to get more clearance but wouldn't axle and trany stay in place without being tied down?

dave

Vehicles
      10-16-2008 03:02 PM #59
      Don,
      I am about to change my solenoid like you did and I have some questions.
      Once pan is removed, how difficult or easy was it to remove solenoid?

Very easy

From the looks of it, it look like two bolt is holding the solenoid.
      Second question is about axle being tied down to subframe.
      You said dogbone mount has to be removed to get more clearance but wouldn't axle and trany stay in place without being tied down?

You are actually pulling the tranny back to create more clearance

dave

Don

24. 11-03-2008 03:53 AM #60
      Just the info I was looking for.
      Thanks Don, now to get parts and get to fixin.
      I've got a cold trans shift issue.
      won't shift out of 1st till the trans is warmed up and then it's fine.

25. 12-14-2008 10:50 PM #61
      I am finally getting the part this weekend.
      There are two more question for you Don.
      Once battery is removed to work on the car and reconnected later, isn't the TCM reset?(don't have vagcom)
      Why the need for car to be leveled?

26. 12-15-2008 07:28 PM #62
      I have an Audi TT 2003 with a tiptronic. I think it has the same problem. I need to know what the N93 part number is? Your photos show all the rest of the part numbers but this one. I called Audi and they are trying to sell me the entire valve body for 1200.

Vehicles
      12-15-2008 09:27 PM #63
      I am finally getting the part this weekend.
      There are two more question for you Don.
      Once battery is removed to work on the car and reconnected later, isn't the TCM reset?(don't have vagcom)
      Why the need for car to be leveled?

I'm not sure if reconnecting the battery will reset the TCM.

The car needs to be level to refill the ATF to the proper level, if you carefully measure all the fluid that you remove and put that eaxct amount back in you should be close. I have always used the procedure in the Bently manual and my VAG-COM. So you may do just fine without, just can't answer it confidently if you choose to use another method.

Don

Vehicles
      12-15-2008 09:38 PM #64
      Geomeo,

I updated the picture to include the part number, but here it is 09A-927-331H.
      Double check the part number with your parts person to make sure it is the correct one for your car. If your local parts person can't or won't verify it. I would suggest http://www.1stvwparts.com/ that is where I got all my parts from.

Modified by coolvdub at 6:40 PM 12-15-2008

Don

29. 12-19-2008 07:00 PM #65
      Sorry I meant to say thanks a while ago, but I have a have a pestulant fiancee whom needs a lot of attention. Thanks ever so much for the info!

Vehicles
      12-19-2008 09:46 PM #66
      No problem
      Don

31. 12-25-2008 08:17 PM #67
      Don,
      So I finally changed my solenoid (thanks for all the help),
      I don't know if you saw my thread but problem persist.
      I have couple more question for you,
      1. if tranny is in safe mode what gear is it in and how does it come out of safe mode?
      2. what is the purpose of multifunction switch?

Thanks again for your help

Vehicles
      12-25-2008 08:58 PM #68
      When in safe mode, the tranny stays in 4th if I remember right. If everything is working as it should the tranny should come out of safe mode. The multifunction switch tells the TCM what gear gas been selected via the gearshift selector in the car. Do you have VAG-COM? If so scan the TCM for errors and reset it. If not, try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so and then reconnect it, some say you should also hold the cables together while disconnected for 15 seconds to remove any residual charge. Also posted and Solenoid and electrical test values in your other thread.

Modified by coolvdub at 6:08 PM 12-25-2008
      Don

33. 12-26-2008 10:51 AM #69
      Don,
      So could my problem be slow failure of solenoid N93?
      Failure of other on/off solenoid would cause tranny to go into emergency mode, so that's not my problem. I had suspected N283 but that didn't solve anything.
      Since my tranny doesn't come out of 1st gear after few minutes of warm up or driven in 1st gear for about a mile and you have suggested maybe low fluid level, N93 is next suspect.
      Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Vehicles
      12-26-2008 12:37 PM #70
      Dave,
      The shifting is controlled by N88,N89 & N92 solenoids. So it would seem the problem would be in one of those. Before you spend any more money, I would try doing the electrical tests on the Solenoids on a completely cold car and then again after the car has warmed up and the shifting is working correctly. If you find a major difference cold to hot, then I would replace another Solenoid. Also I don't think your N93 Solenoid is the problem.I feel your frustration, I spent a lot of time and money to get my tranny working properly. Then it died at 200k. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Modified by coolvdub at 9:53 AM 12-26-2008
      Don

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast