Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Solenoid Change 09A Tiptronic

1. 08-03-2011 12:05 PM #106
      Can anyone still see the origional pictures?, were they removed or maybe placed in an archive somewhere?

Maybe my firewall at work is blocking them but I can't see them and need a DIY guide, picturs would be very helpful

2. 08-03-2011 04:01 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by AudiOn19s View Post
      Can anyone still see the origional pictures?, were they removed or maybe placed in an archive somewhere?

Maybe my firewall at work is blocking them but I can't see them and need a DIY guide, picturs would be very helpful

I can't see Don's pictures either. They were okay a couple of days ago when I referred to them while doing the solenoids on my 09a. The photos are stored on the FOTOTIME site and something has changed there. Don needs to fix it.

Doug.

Vehicles
      '02 Jetta GLS, reigning high mile champ 371,675k miles and counting
      08-05-2011 07:03 AM #108
      They should be working now,sorry guys. I have been sick lately and forgot to renew my Fototime account Sorry for the inconvenience.
      Don

CANCER SUCKS but KAISER SUCKS MORE/But so far I kicked it's ASS

4. 08-08-2011 04:09 PM #109
      Im having the same problem , already change the solenoid but still doing the same not running over 20MPH and no codes , is there some way the check the TCM , can TCM : be reprogram ? some help here will be appreciate.

Thanks

Vehicles
      2002 TAPASS 1.8T
      08-10-2011 06:47 PM #110
      I am having rough downshifting from 4th to 3rd especially when really hot outside. When it is cooler outside it shifts pretty smooth. Anyhow I am changing the tranny filter and fluid and since I am going to be in there I wanna change whatever solenoid is most likely the issue and my engine is not throwing codes. I was wondering if this is why you did yours. Thanks. Good pics too. 2002 Passat 1.8T 170,000.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Jetta 1.8T; 01 TT 225Q
      08-10-2011 10:22 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by German Toy View Post
      Im having the same problem , already change the solenoid but still doing the same not running over 20MPH and no codes , is there some way the check the TCM , can TCM : be reprogram ? some help here will be appreciate.

Thanks
      You need to give more details and explain what shifting symptoms you see with your Tiptronic. A bad TCM will throw codes. A dealer may be able to reprogram a TCM, but not us.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08-10-2011 10:25 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by OldSkulDub View Post
      I am having rough downshifting from 4th to 3rd especially when really hot outside. When it is cooler outside it shifts pretty smooth. Anyhow I am changing the tranny filter and fluid and since I am going to be in there I wanna change whatever solenoid is most likely the issue and my engine is not throwing codes. I was wondering if this is why you did yours. Thanks. Good pics too. 2002 Passat 1.8T 170,000.
      General consensus is that if you open a tiptronic for one solenoid, you might as well do all 9. The cost of one is much higher that 1/9 the cost of a set.

You know the tiptronic has to come out of the car and be disassembled to change the filter, right?

Vehicles
      2002 TAPASS 1.8T
      08-11-2011 06:36 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
      General consensus is that if you open a tiptronic for one solenoid, you might as well do all 9. The cost of one is much higher that 1/9 the cost of a set.

You know the tiptronic has to come out of the car and be disassembled to change the filter, right?
      I did not. I thought I could just drop the pan and change it, no?

9. 08-11-2011 08:19 AM #114
      Firstly, thanks to Coolvdub for the best post and instructions I have ever seen. Without this detailed pictorial help I would never have felt confident to attempt the job.
      I changed solenoid N93 in my Tiptronic on a 2001 V5 Bora today and it works ! So pleased !
      (This post comes from Australia if that makes any difference).
      The best place to buy the parts for this is anywhere else except Australia as they are all about 2.5 times as expensive as UK or USA.

1. I had to support the transmission with a floor jack and undo the LHS engine mounts to move the car back a further 3/4" to get better access.

2. Remove the auxillary air pump hose and pump. As my hose had already been chewed up before I purchased the car, I also removed the filter and discarded the hose from the filter to the pump. The dealer tells me all this is of limited value anyway. Removal of the pump will give you much needed access to replace the pan.

3. Ensure you have a helper on site when replacing the pan which you have used the special VW gasket cement on. It goes off quite quickly - about 10 minutes, so you need to work fast without smearing the cement everywhere.

4. The N93 solenoid is a real pig to replace. This is probably the one you are here for as I believe it is the usual culprit. The inner mounting screw can only be moved 1/16 of a turn with a small spanner. Again, patience is a virtue. You will have to remove the main wiring clips to get the wretch out, as well as the solenoid directly above it. This would be just so much easier on the bench when it was assembled ! There are some interesting locating devices on some of the others which can be lost, fall out etc if you are not careful.

5. You can use Fuchs Titan ATF 3353 (Made in Germany), selling here in Australia at $231 for 20 litres. This compares well with the VW product which the dealer wants $60 a litre for. I'm told they are one and the same oil, as Fuchs supply VW. This means you will have some on hand for your regular oil change.

Thanks again Don for the post. If a 68 year old pensioner like me with no real training can do this, then others can too.

Grahame
      Last edited by foz405; 08-11-2011 at 08:37 AM.

10. 08-11-2011 12:03 PM #115
      Hi
      thanks for the reply, my issue started with the morning thing, letting the car running for 10min then shifting with no problems, until one day just stop shifting even warming the car, changed the solenoids and fluid, never had any code, now don't know what else try just thinking in the TCM. any clues.

Thanks

11. 08-14-2011 01:53 AM #116
      Thanks Doug for the short write up, I think I have the same issue... trans revs (seems like slips into neutral) in 4,5 when I am over 2200 rpm, everything shifts perfect under about 2200 rpm. Dealer said I need a new trans, I want to try the solinoids first and there is some great info here. The generic code thrown is P0730, don't have VAG COM but does this sound like what you had? Thanks a bunch! Andy

12. 08-16-2011 03:30 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by 68ponys View Post
      Thanks Doug for the short write up, I think I have the same issue... trans revs (seems like slips into neutral) in 4,5 when I am over 2200 rpm, everything shifts perfect under about 2200 rpm. Dealer said I need a new trans, I want to try the solinoids first and there is some great info here. The generic code thrown is P0730, don't have VAG COM but does this sound like what you had? Thanks a bunch! Andy
      Hi Andy,

Your symptoms sound similar to ours. Auto trans works fine when gently driven. At highway speeds, I would try to accelerate as if to pass a vehicle ahead of me. The RPMs would slowly advance with vehicle speed then at a certain point, start spinning higher. It felt like it was slipping because the extra RPM's were not making the car go faster. Backing off on the throttle allowed the rpm to return to its previous crusing value of < 2000.
      The only code showing was a temperature sensor code in the auto trans.

My options were,

- spend 5000 for a new/rebuilt trans (dealer)
      - sell car "as is" for about 2-3000
      - live with it
      - gamble by replacing all solenoids for < 400 (by me)

I went with the last option because many vwvortex'ers have resolved 09a trans problems by replacing solenoids.
      In the past, I've done starters, radiators, timing belts so this task was well within my abilities.
      I do not have the advanced expertise/patience required to diagnose which solenoid needed replacing so I did all 9. It was < 400 to buy all 9 as a set.

This procedure took me 3 evenings (about 8 hours total). Once you are in the trans, take note of where the wires go especially around N90,N91,N93. These 3 are the least visible yet the most difficult to replace.

It would be nice if the 4 solenoids above these 3 were out so you could have better access.

N91 Remove this one first. Note: There is a metal clamp thingy on one of the posts.
      N90 remove this one next when N91 is out. Note colors of wires on posts
      N93 first need to unclip internal wiring harness above and also unbolt one harness holddown clamp

I need slimmer fingers to start the 3 bolts which hold the wiring looms to the pan.

My solenoid kit came with a new pan gasket so no messy silicone to deal with.

Yes, I had VAG-COM purchased just for this problem. Hooked it up once to see that the only code was
      for the temp sensor in the auto trans. After the solenoid fix I have not even reset the codes or done
      that thing for relearning - (sorry can't remember the term).

BTW, I am a 51 year old office worker and only work on my own vehicles.

Doug

13. Member
      Vehicles
      08-16-2011 09:17 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by enginebay View Post
      Hi Andy,

- gamble by replacing all solenoids for < 400 (by me)

I went with the last option because many vwvortex'ers have resolved 09a trans problems by replacing solenoids.
      In the past, I've done starters, radiators, timing belts so this task was well within my abilities.

Doug
      Nice writeup Doug, but you didn't really mention if it fixed your problem. If it did, how many miles since the fix?

14. 08-17-2011 06:12 PM #119
      Nice writeup Doug, but you didn't really mention if it fixed your problem. If it did, how many miles since the fix?
      Yes, after replacing all 9 solenoids, the transmission is shifting fine and not slipping anymore. I am able to feel each gear change as I brisky accelerate upto the speed limit. We've put on about 500 kms (300 miles) so far.

Doug

15. 08-22-2011 11:47 PM #120
      hi,
      very useful thread.

my car also has morning sickness so it is going in for the solenoid set change this week. Keeping fingers crossed and hope it comes out fine.

Seat alhambra 2001 1.9tdi w/tiptronic 5 speed. Only 90,000kms/ the problems been there for a couple of months already.

the gear gets stuck in 2 and after running around for a couple of minutes (warm) will shift normally. The computer check showed a n91 fault and it was cleared and never came back on again ?? Still have the downshift tug from 2 to 1 which you can feel if you are really looking for it.

will post the result here when the car comes back.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Gti
      08-26-2011 05:14 PM #121
      Thank you guys for posting all those helpful information. I need your help/advice with an issue. I replaced both the N92 Solenoid and the TCM in my 2002 gti. Before I did that, the car would have harsh upshifts from 1 to 2 and harsh downshifts from 2 to 1 when cold. Now it upshifts fine but it still downshifts hard from 2 to 1 when cold. After the car warms up then everything is fine. Which solenoid do you recommend changing? thanks

17. 08-31-2011 01:12 PM #122
      hi ,

just got the car back earlier in the week and my wife has been driving around for 2 days, I got a chance to drive it today. From cold, no problems in shifting up or down through the gears and there is no jerk on downshift from 2 to 1.

Hope the problems don't resurface in the future as i intend to continue using the car for another 1-2 years.

changing the solenoid set seems to have taken care of the problem insofar.

thanks to all.

Vehicles
      94 MKIII 8V Jetta, 02 MKIV 1.8T Jetta, 87 16V Scirocco
      09-26-2011 08:51 PM #123
      So I've been reading up on this and a few other threads for 09A issues, as well as NO Reverse issues. The info in these threads is fantastic, and while I don't have a VAG-COM at the moment, I may test the solenoids based on the table CoolAirVW posted. I also appreciate the link to what may be my new VW parts house! With my 1-5 gears working fine, I'm thinking the on/off solenoids won't help with no reverse. The reverse issue started gradually, after warming up and driving forward, I could get it to engage in reverse, even in the 109 degree days this summer, but last month, it finally stopped moving in reverse, at least in the time I gave it to engage (may be 3 min, no sense waiting 20 min ugh!) I'm begininng to think I have drum seal issues???

CoolAirVW, any chance you can tell me which drums service Reverse and a pic of where they are located??? Guess I better look for an 09A overhaul manual. I've replaced the waterpump, EGV, Turbo, set timing on this `02 1.8T, but I'm not sure I have the tools to dig into this one too deep!

Any thoughts???

Again, Great thread. I think I've narrowed down my problem and might be able to avoid senslessly buying solenoids as a process of elimination.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      09-27-2011 12:29 AM #124
      Look at the bottom of this page http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=24788
      for a link to a 09A (aka Jatco 506e, aka Mazda ja5a-el) rebuild manual & update. Mazda version, but applies to VW too (just be sure to order the VW version of the parts you need).

Also, google for "VW SSP #232", and you should find a VW glossy tech brochure that explains the 09a and TCM operation.

Those two should get you going, though I personally haven't done anything beyond changing solenoids (yet, knock on wood).

Good luck

20. 10-03-2011 01:06 AM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by panheadjdhess View Post
      So I've been reading up on this and a few other threads for 09A issues, as well as NO Reverse issues. The info in these threads is fantastic, and while I don't have a VAG-COM at the moment, I may test the solenoids based on the table CoolAirVW posted. I also appreciate the link to what may be my new VW parts house! With my 1-5 gears working fine, I'm thinking the on/off solenoids won't help with no reverse. The reverse issue started gradually, after warming up and driving forward, I could get it to engage in reverse, even in the 109 degree days this summer, but last month, it finally stopped moving in reverse, at least in the time I gave it to engage (may be 3 min, no sense waiting 20 min ugh!) I'm begininng to think I have drum seal issues???

CoolAirVW, any chance you can tell me which drums service Reverse and a pic of where they are located??? Guess I better look for an 09A overhaul manual. I've replaced the waterpump, EGV, Turbo, set timing on this `02 1.8T, but I'm not sure I have the tools to dig into this one too deep!

Any thoughts???

Again, Great thread. I think I've narrowed down my problem and might be able to avoid senslessly buying solenoids as a process of elimination.
      It sounds like you have a cracked reverse piston.

I would do a compression test to confirm. There are some pics of someone already doing this here...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...enly-problem#3

You just need to remove the fender liner to get to it. 80 -109 PSI is considered in spec.

21. 11-04-2011 03:02 PM #126
      how do you know what soleinoid is to trasmission? how you test it?

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      11-04-2011 06:59 PM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by panheadjdhess View Post

Any thoughts???

Whoa! Slow down buddy! N90 solenoid sticks and causes no reverse cold. Once it sticks solid you have no reverse period! Take a look at this thread...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=333061
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

Vehicles
      94 MKIII 8V Jetta, 02 MKIV 1.8T Jetta, 87 16V Scirocco
      11-05-2011 11:06 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      Whoa! Slow down buddy! N90 solenoid sticks and causes no reverse cold. Once it sticks solid you have no reverse period! Take a look at this thread...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=333061
      I get it. Thank you for the PM. I haven't pulled it in the garage yet. Prepping my MKIII Jetta for repaint with LY3D!!! I'll take the N90 route first...maybe I'll spend the cash for VAG-COM SW first.

24. 11-14-2011 01:19 PM #129
      Hey guys.. I was having the no reverse when cold and hard shift from 2 to 3 when cold issue. I went ahead and just changed all 9 solenoids last night. Afterwards, when I turned the ignition to "On" the transmission was in safe mode. I checked the error codes and had one for N88 and N282. So I cleared the codes, turned the car off and then started the engine. I now only get an error for N88. I tried erasing the code several times, but it keeps coming back. Is there anything special that I need to do to get the new solenoids to play nice with the TCU?? I tried to set the basic settings, but I am using a V-Checker Pro and couldn't figure out exactly how to do it. I'm unable to check the resistance of N88 at the harness to verify that its not actually a bad solenoid...I can't get that connector off the TCU.

Reverse does engage right away, which surprises me because N88 is one of the valves used for reverse.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
      Joe
      Last edited by JoePDub; 11-15-2011 at 08:56 PM.

25. 11-27-2011 06:17 PM #130
      Hi, I got some problem with the transmission. It didn't shift from 4th gear to 5th gear. engine light and ASR light on. throw out P1780 code. use vag-com check, it is engine torque Signal. Is that possible to be N92 and N282 problem? Thank you.
      Toni

26. 02-07-2012 10:38 AM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by KookysJetta View Post
      Solenoid Change 09A Tiptronic
      Great article! I have 97 Jetta with "slow to engage Drive". If you let the car warm-up for 5-10 min. it will engage into drive with no problem. No delay problem at all going from P to reverse. Dealer want $1400 to replace the torque converter. Bad torque converter would not enable the car to go into reverse either. Problem is not T-converter. I think it is a stickey solenoid. Based on this thread, is one of the accessable solenoids the cause of the slow to engage? Which solenoid controls initial Drive mode? No tranny fault codes displayed. Fluid level is correct. Tranny shifts just fine once Drive finally drops in..
      Did you ever get this resolved. My 05 Jetta has been doing the same thing and I have installed all new solinoids with the problem still there? I haved 140,000 great miles thus far

27. 03-11-2012 03:58 AM #132
      Hi all, I would like to ask you, if somebody knows where can i find strainer(filter) in this gbox and how to check corect level of oil in gbox after change? If somebody has got pictures that will be the best.
      My gbox has got 92000miles and i think that nobody didnt change that, so i would like to do that.

Thank you so much

28. Member
      Vehicles
      03-11-2012 05:15 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by hunkar.jan View Post
      Hi all, I would like to ask you, if somebody knows where can i find strainer(filter) in this gbox and how to check corect level of oil in gbox after change? If somebody has got pictures that will be the best.
      My gbox has got 92000miles and i think that nobody didnt change that, so i would like to do that.

Thank you so much
      The 09A must be removed from the car and split to get at the filter!

Fluid change howto is linked in the FAQ post, and points here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1093467

29. 03-11-2012 05:21 PM #134
      The 09A must be removed from the car and split to get at the filter!

Fluid change howto is linked in the FAQ post, and points here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1093467
      ohh nooo
      Thank you so much, do you have some pictures? Is any chance to find them somewhere? Thanks

30. Member
      Vehicles
      03-11-2012 11:15 PM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by hunkar.jan View Post
      ohh nooo
      Thank you so much, do you have some pictures? Is any chance to find them somewhere? Thanks
      The filter is quite large and normally does not need to be changed. You can see some pictures of it in this thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4187298

31. 03-12-2012 03:16 AM #136
      The filter is quite large and normally does not need to be changed. You can see some pictures of it in this thread:
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4187298
      Thank you so much Charlie, the thing is i have 92000miles on clock and gbox is working honestly fine, i just wanted to change oil and i know there is filter and normaly when im changing oil in engine, i have to oil filter as well... thats why i was looking for it. But if its not nessesary to chang that oil filter in gbox, i will do just oil, and when i need to do something more with gbox i can take it out. Can i ask you what about clutch, when it must be normaly changed? Thank you so much Charlie

32. 03-17-2012 12:25 PM #137
      Is the process the same to replace the N92 solenoid as it is with the solenoids in the walk through posted by coolvdub??

I'm about to tackle this...I've got the N92 solenoid (won't shift out of first/second gears when cold...but runs fine when warmed up) and I have the fluid ready to do it. I have a 2003 VW GTI 1.8T...Love the car but it's so hard and expensive to do any work on. I'm hoping I can do this. Awesome forum everyone!

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      03-19-2012 09:31 AM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by davewg112 View Post
      Is the process the same to replace the N92 solenoid as it is with the solenoids in the walk through posted by coolvdub??

I'm about to tackle this...I've got the N92 solenoid (won't shift out of first/second gears when cold...but runs fine when warmed up) and I have the fluid ready to do it. I have a 2003 VW GTI 1.8T...Love the car but it's so hard and expensive to do any work on. I'm hoping I can do this. Awesome forum everyone!

Yes, very similar
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

34. 04-01-2012 02:15 AM #139
      Just changed all 9 solenoids, cured my 2nd to 3rd gear morning sickness. It's people like you that make the forum rock

Vehicles
      e36 M3, 14 FiST
      04-02-2012 10:57 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by rjsuryan View Post
      Just changed all 9 solenoids, cured my 2nd to 3rd gear morning sickness. It's people like you that make the forum rock
      Just changed all 9 solenoids today, and cured no-reverse when cold. This is definitely a great resource.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast