Okay kids, made it through all 52 pages finally. I have a couple questions
that are more opinion or advice issues rather than nuts and bolts how-tos:
I am building one of these to stuff into a Mk1. I plan to build it with all ABA internals (crank, pistons, rods) for low compression in order to run a charger. I plan on buying the BBM kit to help with the stuff I'm missing (see list).
Here is what I have:
ABA mostly complete engine OBD2 (I know, I know)
1.8 16v complete engine
Here is what I know I'm buying:
BBM ABA16v kit
BBM fuel rail
Misc. little bits scrounged here and there
SC kit or individual pieces yet TBD
Here is what I don't have:
ABA wiring harness and ECU
Exhaust manifold of any kind
Downtube of any kind
Throttle Body (16v auto Passat)
The life I always dreamed of
1. Since I need some sort of management anyway should I just go stand alone? According to pozer on page 50 "Get MS and be done with all the playing around." and that was seconded by talon223. Any issues with using the older fusebox?
2. Should I look at other SEM aside from Megasquirt? It looks like the others I've seen are stupid expensive.
3. What's a good solution for an exhaust mani/header and downpipe combo? I am planning on getting a new TT exhaust so I'm pretty flexible here as long as I can stuff it into a Mk1.
4. Any advice on Superchargers specific to this swap? I've seen some cool pics of intercoolers in Mk1s but not a lot of info on what was used. Space is tight so any ideas would be appreciated.
5. Anything else specific to this going into a Mk1? Past pitfalls and solutions from anyone appreciated.
My ultimate goal is an honest 200WHP. That said, HP isn't my real goal but Torque is. Thus my choice of a charger. So keep that in mind if you have any comments to add.
Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this topic. Lots of really great info from good people. And even thanks to the morons that keeps asking the same questions over and over. They just helped drill into my head what does and does not work and what is and is not needed. And thanks for reading this long post...