Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)

Thread: Dirt roads

1. 08-24-2004 01:56 PM #1
      Im looking for dirt roads or something of that nature in the Philadelphia area. Actually anywhere in the tri-state would be good. I want to see what my car is like on gravel, dirt etc. and just want to have some fun. I have tried search on a bunch of different forums with no luck. I figure someone here has to know of someplace withing 2-3 hours of Philly that fits the bill
      Thanks

2. 08-24-2004 01:59 PM #2

Boy, it must be weird to be unable to find dirt roads...

Vehicles
      2005 S2000; 2013 Chevy Volt; 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI; 1966 Pontiac GTO
      08-24-2004 02:01 PM #3
      There are lots of dirt roads in upper Bucks and Mongomery counties. Maybe not like in those photos, but not bad. Probably the most extensive unpaved roads you will fine in the tri-state area is in the NJ Pine Barrens. Next to that would be upstate NY.

-Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DUBLUV401 View Post
      I am not here for grammer lesson's

4. 08-24-2004 02:10 PM #4
      drive out to Wellsboro and run the STPR rally stage roads... ...you will have the time of your life.

The roads are in AMAZING condition and many of them have fairly loose surfaces, which are great for learning on!!

BE CAREFUL!! (i used to have a friend spot me with a 2-way radio)

5. 08-24-2004 02:15 PM #5
      [QUOTE=rx7racr]drive out to Wellsboro and run the STPR rally stage roads... ...you will have the time of your life.

The roads are in AMAZING condition and many of them have fairly loose surfaces, which are great for learning on!!

[QUOTE]

Directiions please. Where is Wellsboro and are these roads open to the general public?

6. 08-24-2004 02:21 PM #6
      it's in No. Central PA. look it up on mapquest - - it'll be more help than I can be... search for "STPR Rally" website for directions.

the roads are open to the general public, as they are merely roads in a state forest that are used for the STPR rally...

If you go out there - stay honest with yourself about your abilities as a loose-surface driver, and keep in mind - there can be oncoming traffic/police/hikers/animals/fallen trees/armed locals... I know people who have been killed out there in cars with WAY less Hp than yours (and full roll-cage + safety equip)...

Just safely driving around at the speed limit on those roads will get you well accustomed to dirt-driving...

Modified by rx7racr at 11:27 AM 8-24-2004

7. 08-24-2004 02:27 PM #7
      Thanks man. Thats about 4 hours away from me I will keep that in mind for maybe a weekend trip, but i was looking for more of like a one day thing. Any specifics on the roads in upper Montgomery and Bucks counties?

8. 08-24-2004 02:31 PM #8
      Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »

If you go out there - stay honest with yourself about your abilities as a loose-surface driver, and keep in mind - there can be oncoming traffic/police/hikers/animals/fallen trees/armed locals... I know people who have been killed out there in cars with WAY less Hp than yours (and full roll-cage + safety equip)...

Just safely driving around at the speed limit on those roads will get you well accustomed to dirt-driving...

Modified by rx7racr at 11:27 AM 8-24-2004

Sheesh i'll make sure im armed too. Im not looking to race, just have a little fun and learn the car more. Thanks alot for the info/advice

9. 08-24-2004 02:33 PM #9
      go up to maine, they have two lane highways with 55mph speed limits that are dirt

Vehicles
      08-24-2004 02:53 PM #10
      Quote, originally posted by AchmedRodriguez »
      Any specifics on the roads in upper Montgomery and Bucks counties?

I wish I did. I drove on a lot of nice dirt roads during TSD road rallies, but I have long since discarded the directions. Best bet would be to buy one of those very detailed ADC maps of the county...I believe dirt roads are indicated as such on those maps.

-Nick

Vehicles
      '07 Cayman S, '14 FieSTa, '90 GLi VR6, '96 Passat TDi Wagon
      08-24-2004 03:34 PM #11
      This is not really of any help... but when I lived in central PA, I NEVER saw a dirt road, it was really wierd when I moved out to Michigan and I saw a dirt road that actually had a road sign and speed limits... pretty common out here.

Vehicles
      Saabaru 92x aero
      08-24-2004 03:53 PM #12
      if your searching out dirtroads for the sole purpose of sliding around youre probably going to crash into something

13. 08-24-2004 03:57 PM #13
      Head up toward the Poconos and you'll find dirt roads aplenty. I just got back from a family reunion in Canadensis (about 25mi NW of East Stroudsburg and about 15mi NE of Mt. Pocono) and there are a lot of dirt and gravel roads in the rural mountains. I'm not sure how you'll find them, though, without just wandering around... and that's not much fun.

14. 08-24-2004 03:59 PM #14
      Quote, originally posted by dolemite »
      if your searching out dirtroads for the sole purpose of sliding around youre probably going to crash into something

I appreciate ur warning but i already know this. I am just curious to see how the car handles on dirt/gravel. I wouldnt say that i want to slide around, but more or less just have fun. You know gun it a few times in the low gears to break all 4 tires loose etc. Theres a difference between having fun and being reckless. I have had plenty of show me how not to drive and learned from their mistakes.

Modified by AchmedRodriguez at 4:01 PM 8-24-2004

15. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      08-24-2004 04:00 PM #15
      Quote, originally posted by PseudoEnthusiast »

i was thinking the same thing. this past Sunday my wife and I went offroading in the Subaru down a dirt road which i honestly think that nobody other than us had been on within the past 18 hours. it was fun sliding all around on gravel and dirt with the Legacy. just have to be careful though because if you ditch it there's a LONG walk home.

and no i won't tell you where the road is

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

16. 08-24-2004 04:03 PM #16
      OBIN, you gotta tell me. Ok, u dont have to but u know u want to . Man u gotta know of somewhere in NE PA where i can find some dirt roads.

17. Geriatric Member Obin Robinson's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2001 Boxster, 2012 Kia Soul
      08-24-2004 04:04 PM #17
      Quote, originally posted by AchmedRodriguez »
      OBIN, you gotta tell me. Ok, u dont have to but u know u want to . Man u gotta know of somewhere in NE PA where i can find some dirt roads.

how far are you from ithaca?

obin

"We're society's crowbar. They hate us, they never want to acknowledge the dirty jobs they give us to do, but when the job is done they never throw us away - they just slip us back in the toolbox until they need us the next time. And there will always be a next time."-Jim Hooper. Beneath the Visiting Moon: Images of Combat in Southern Africa

18. 08-24-2004 04:04 PM #18
      wellsboro is about 50 miles north of Williamsport.

There is a TSD rally some time in NJ...Pine Barrens, IIRC.

Though the Philly area TSD rallies are not as good as the Finger Lake rallies

19. 08-24-2004 04:15 PM #19
      Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

how far are you from ithaca?

obin

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 4 minutes Total Est. Distance: 226.23 miles

Hows that for an estimation. So i'd say that im about 3.5 hours away. You got some good roads up there?

20. 08-24-2004 04:21 PM #20
      what is a TSD rally?

see my response over at ClubWRX.net

21. 08-24-2004 04:33 PM #21
      Quote, originally posted by coop »
      go up to maine, they have two lane highways with 55mph speed limits that are dirt

In Vermont, the state speed limit is 50mph on any road that has no signs saying otherwise. There's a reason all the rally guys hang out there.

22. 08-24-2004 04:36 PM #22
      Quote, originally posted by Obin Robinson »

and no i won't tell you where the road is

obin

Hah! I wasn't asking. Though I suppose I could go see that girl at Ithaca college again.

Vehicles
      Saabaru 92x aero
      08-24-2004 04:45 PM #23

In Vermont, the state speed limit is 50mph on any road that has no signs saying otherwise. There's a reason all the rally guys hang out there.

they started really putting signs up on most dirt roads a couple years ago

my road used to be a 50, now its a 35mph road as of last year

theres been a lot of times where im tempted to kick the tail out on a turn and then ill see some old couple walking their dog or some kids biking. its just not kosher. especially when you dont know the road and its inhabitants.

Modified by dolemite at 1:49 PM 8-24-2004

Vehicles
      5.7, 5.3, 2.0T & 1.0
      08-24-2004 04:47 PM #24
      Dirt roads suck...I'll drive out of the way just to avoid them

Didn't mind them back when I drove a Chevette though

25. 08-24-2004 05:26 PM #25
      Quote, originally posted by PlatinumGLS »
      Dirt roads suck...I'll drive out of the way just to avoid them

I used to own a MK4 lowered with 18's also. I would not only avoid dirt roads, but potholes, divots, rocks, pebbles, dust, dirt and anything else that would unsetle the car. Thankfully, i no longer own that problem

Vehicles
      08-24-2004 05:29 PM #26
      Yeah, as soon as I get my first paint chip I'll be looking for some dirt roads myself. PowAr oversteer rules!

Vehicles
      2000 BMW M5, e24, etc...
      08-24-2004 05:52 PM #27

Indeed. I went up to Lake Wamish(spell?) in Mount Rainier national park, that was 35ish miles round trip on gravel. Pretty fun, but ever since then my rear suspension creaks non-stop. Grit in the spring seats? Or bushings?

28. 08-24-2004 09:24 PM #28
      going a little OT...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/show...&vc=1

http://public.fotki.com/krmn59/our_new_beetle/

Modified by GT17V at 9:30 PM 8-24-2004

29. 08-24-2004 11:55 PM #29
      Quote, originally posted by dolemite »
      they started really putting signs up on most dirt roads a couple years ago

my road used to be a 50, now its a 35mph road as of last year

theres been a lot of times where im tempted to kick the tail out on a turn and then ill see some old couple walking their dog or some kids biking. its just not kosher. especially when you dont know the road and its inhabitants.

And they're straightening Route 9 across the southern part of the state. Used to be fun to run that flat out, now it's just another winding highway. SNORE..

Ah well, probably about time we stopped letting octogenarian leaf-peepers fall off the road.

30. Banned
      08-24-2004 11:57 PM #30
      Quote, originally posted by rx7racr »
      drive out to Wellsboro and run the STPR rally stage roads... ...you will have the time of your life.

These are the shots I want in my drift thread.

As far as dirt roads though, I can;t help beyond trying construction sights.

31. 08-25-2004 12:15 AM #31
      heh, out here in Montana, it's hard to find good paved roads, not the other way around.
      Seriously though, I think it'd take all of 5 minutes travelling in any direction for me to find a dirt road.

Vehicles
      2006 Miata Sport, 2006 Jetta 2.0T 6MT
      08-25-2004 12:37 AM #32
      Quote, originally posted by coop »

Where in Maine are these? I've been all over the southern half of the state and yet to find a dirt road with a 55mph limit.

My favorite dirt road memory is following our noses back outside of Sherbrooke, Quebec into northeast Vermont. (I believe it was Quebec route 251). Lots of rolling farmland out there and dirt roads for miles with a 70kmh / 45mph speed limit. I don't remember the last time the speed limit felt too fast.

2006 Miata Sport | 2006 Jetta 2.0T | 2002 Impreza 2.5TS | 1993 Sentra SE-R | 1987 Subaru GL wagon
      dj Lord Bass on Facebook. Stream the new mix Turkey Techno II