Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: replacing inner cv joint, how hard is it?

1. 08-28-2004 02:25 PM #1
      Ok, so the passenger side inner cv is making noise and the boot is torn. How hard is it to replace this thing? Is it possibly easier just to get a new axle?

2. 08-28-2004 02:32 PM #2
      Much easier to get an axle

3. 08-28-2004 02:52 PM #3
      Its probably also cheaper to just do the axle, or both if you want to save time later. I did both of mine and after core returns, the new axles are about 70 each. Fairly easy DIY work.

4. 08-28-2004 05:04 PM #4
      Yeah, the things you need to do first are use the 12spline hex looking key to get the inner part of the shafts off. Also before you go, measure the diameter of the inboard joint. It should be 90 or 100 mm. I thought since mine was a GTI it would be 100, I was wrong. I live in germany and parts are cheaper in the states. SO I ordered the wrong part and had to send it back after I put the broken cv joint back. It sucked. TO get the inner joints off you have to put the car in gear and loosen those 12 spline bolts. You have to use the 12 spline tool too. If not you will strip the ish out of it. You have to put the car in gear and break the inner bolts, take the car out of gear, move the shaft to line up 2 more 12spline bolts in your line of sight, put the car back in gear.

It really is a long job, 4hrs for the job if you kind of know what you are doing.

If you have any questions, email me. novaboy16@yahoo.com

later

5. 08-28-2004 05:27 PM #5
      the 12pt bit you need is actually called a triple square bit i got mine at sears as a set with 4 sizes foe about $15

08-28-2004 05:40 PM #6
      I guess i've changed too many axles by myself but i can do it in 20 min without breaking a sweet.

7. 08-28-2004 07:01 PM #7
      Yeah, talked to a couple people today and they both agreed that a whole axle is easier to do. Odd damn thing is that on the drive to and from my friend's house just now, it decided to STOP making noise. Still going to get replaced soon though.

8. 08-28-2004 09:09 PM #8
      take the wheels off and use lots of extensions. you dont have to climb under the car and you dont have to take it out of gear either. and do yourself a favor, buy a good triple square, the cheap ones strip in no time.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      20th AE
      09-02-2004 09:05 PM #9
      Quote, originally posted by Mulder »
      Picked up the axle this afternoon at Bugformance. Got a couple extra bolts just in case and will pick up the triple square and a large socket at Sears.

Is it really that simple to do? Take off the big outer nut and the 6 bolts and it slides out?

yah..just takes some maneuvering of the axle. the only thing that really takes time is getting the car in the air...well if its as low as some of the cars on here

10. Senior Member Muffler Bearing's Avatar
      Vehicles
      54 green, 67 yellow, 77 gold, 84 brown
      09-02-2004 10:59 PM #10
      just get a new axle, so that way when your still nice and mad about how much of a pita it was to get it out you get to use all your fresh agression to get the new one in right away before your anger gets stale..

-j

A Rabbit is not to be wasted on the tentative or weak. Only the worthy are invited, and then only at your own risk. If you have even a modicum of hesitation, DO NOT buy one of these cars. Instead, leave it for a worthy soul who has already matriculated to the sublime ecstasy of what those in the know refer to as a "MK1"
      OLDSKOOLVW.COM Custom MK1 parts.

Vehicles
      Barbie Jeep Power Wheel
      09-04-2004 08:03 PM #11
      Quote »
      4hrs for the job if you kind of know what you are doing.

FOUR HOURS!?!?

12. 09-04-2004 08:08 PM #12
      So my dub is making the clicking/ratcheting sound which is usually the telltale sign of a hosed CV joint; worse during turns, proportional to wheel speed, etc.

Then I got under the car and all 4 of the boots looked immaculate...is it possible for the joint to fail when the boots are completely intact (all of the boots were actually replaced about 2 years ago), or does that never happen? I'm asking since usually the joint fails because the boot gets torn, allowing grease to get out while dirt and other bad things get in, meaning that if the boot is fine then how did it fail.

13. 09-06-2004 12:38 AM #13
      bump...

c'mon, someone's gotta have an opinion!

14. 06-06-2011 05:49 AM #14
      The CV Joints have a lifetime as well, and can get damaged with or without a torn boot. Especially, if you take of like a bat outta hell, or turn hard. I suggest changing them, I've changed my inner CV and it didn't take that long.

Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      06-06-2011 07:38 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by 85vdub View Post
      I guess i've changed too many axles by myself but i can do it in 20 min without breaking a sweet.

I was thinking an hour for the first axle.... there isn't much to it: axle nut, remove wheel, pop off the caplier, 8 axle bolts remove axle. instal is the reverse proceedure.

So long as you clean out the axle bolts and seat the tool with a hammer, its cake.
      Thanks for calling. Your call is very important to me. If you would like to reach me by phone now, please hang up now. If you would like to reach me by phone later, please hang up later. If you would like to speak with a person, please press ten. ..... I'm sorry I do not understand one zero. Please hang up now or later if you cannot press ten.

Vehicles
      89 Jetta, 97 Golf
      06-06-2011 12:35 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Seax_Smith View Post
      I was thinking an hour for the first axle.... there isn't much to it: axle nut, remove wheel, pop off the caplier, 8 axle bolts remove axle. instal is the reverse proceedure.

So long as you clean out the axle bolts and seat the tool with a hammer, its cake.
      Sounds about right-I have never had to take off the caliper though
      Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
      **** meows at you
      Quote Originally Posted by Sallad View Post
      That is the Euro plate of a full out virgin. The owner of that car has never sniffed a snatch.

Vehicles
      Newest, 92 GTi half-swap plus
      06-06-2011 07:37 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by nativebackup1 View Post
      Sounds about right-I have never had to take off the caliper though
      It's not manditory. just makes things a little easier for me, that and I don't like over stressing the flex lines

Didn't add before, I use a sharpie and mark the ball joint and control arm before I slid ball joing out of the control arm.
      Thanks for calling. Your call is very important to me. If you would like to reach me by phone now, please hang up now. If you would like to reach me by phone later, please hang up later. If you would like to speak with a person, please press ten. ..... I'm sorry I do not understand one zero. Please hang up now or later if you cannot press ten.